Peace Without Dignity - The Presidency of Lien Chan (2004-08) and Onwards

As you wait for another update on my Tiananmen TL, which should come out within these few days (Romania up to December 1989 and Mongolia up to 2013); here comes a rather short timeline, dedicated to my real-life friends. In 2004, just a day before the presidential election, incumbent President Chen Shui-bian and Vice President Annette Lu were shot on the campaign trail.

They were slightly injured, and it was widely believed that the re-election of Chen was a result of the wave of sympathy. Opposition nominee Lien Chan challenged the election results in court, but the appeal was eventually rejected by the High Court. If the bullet simply missed both Chen and Lu, what would happen? How would cross-strait relations have developed under a KMT-PFP coalition government?
Peace Without Dignity
attachment.php

The Election
A day before election day, President Chen Shui-bian was almost assassinated on the campaign trail. Both President Chen and Vice President Lu was not injured, although a police officer was fatally wounded. The incident arguably helped Chen, who was lagging behind in virtually every single poll, but was not enough to save him from eventual defeat in what would become the closest-ever election in Taiwanese history. Former Vice President Lien Chan and his running mate, Chairman James Soong of the People's First Party and the runner-up in the 2000 election, won the election by a razor-thin margin of 1.2%, or about 145,000 votes. Given that the margin of defeat was slightly above 1%, President Chen decided not to challenge the election results.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Transition
Premier Yu Shyi-kun resigned on the request of President Chen Shui-bian, who resigned as Chairman of the Democratic Progressive Party. Chen was succeeded by Yu as DPP chairman, while a bipartisan caretaker cabinet led by Justice Minister Chen Ding-nan was formed, with KMT Vice-chairman Chiang Pin-kung as his deputy. The transition period was initially smooth, despite the bitter election. However, once President-elect Lien Chan announced that he would appoint Vice President-elect James Soong as the next President of the Executive Yuan (Premier), Premier Chen Ding-nan and all DPP cabinet members resigned in protest, leaving Taiwan without a cabinet for a few days.

The move was particularly controversial, as Lien Chan himself was Vice President and Premier at the same time in the mid-1990s, and that it was seen as a dirty deal between Lien Chan and James Soong. The approval rating of Lien stood at merely 43% on his inaugural day, with 45% disapproved. James Soong fared a little bit but not particularly better - 45% approved his performance while 42% disapproved.
Lien thus began his presidency with a net negative approval rating.

Cross-strait relations
After his election, Lien and Soong had been tirelessly pushing for the further expansion of the Three Links, even though both Lien and Soong dared not to visit China before the 2004 legislative elections. Following the historic Wang-Chiang Summit between ARATS President Wang Daohan and SEF President Chiang Pin-kung, the first direct commercial flights from China (from Guangzhou) to Taiwan since 1949 arrived in Taipei on September 29, 2004.
Reiterating the government's support of the so-called 1992 consensus, direct shipping routes and postal service between mainland China and Taiwan came true by the end of 2004. Commercial flights between China and Taiwan would also become much more regular.

In November 2004, Minister Liu Te-hsun of the Mainland Affairs Council became the highest-ranking incumbent official to visit China, who held a historic "private meeting" with Taiwan Affairs Office Director Chen Yunlin in Xiamen. Liu reiterated the "One China Policy" with different interpretations under the "1992 consensus", and referred the meeting as one between two Chinese officials, sparking huge angry protests in Taiwan and calls for him to step down. Liu refused to step down and was supported by Premier James Soong, who declared the meeting a success, announced plans to commence weekend charter flights by mid-2005.

According to an opinion poll conducted by TVBS, 56% of respondents support further economic ties with mainland China, but at the same time 66% believed that the Lien-Soong government has been too pro-China, and has been selling out Taiwanese sovereignty.

KMT-PFP-NP merger
twb.jpg

To prevent excessive infighting within the Pan-Blue camp, the Kuomintang, People's First Party and New Party announced their decision to merge into a single party. Nevertheless, the decision was met with strong opposition within the People's First Party, accusing the move to be a plot to "eat up" the PFP. Taitung magistrate Hsu Ching-yuan and Miaoli magistrate Fu Hsueh-peng announced their decision to withdraw from the PFP. Both pledged to support the DPP candidate in the next magistrate election. The withdrawal of Hsu from the PFP was widely seen as the first step towards the gradual end of the pan-blue domination in Taitung. Outraged by the decision, lawmaker Wu Cheng-tien left the New Party, and announced that he would become a pan-Blue independent.

Due to strong opposition towards the adoption of the party name of "Kuomintang" after the merger, the KMT, PFP and New Party voted to disband themselves to become the New People's Party (Hsinintang/HMT). Lien Chan was elected the first Chairman of Hsinmintang, while James Soong, former EPA director Hau Lung-pin of the New Party, Speaker Wang Jin-pyng, as well as KMT Vice Chairman Wu Po-hsiung became Vice Chairmen. The HMT was formally founded on 10th October 2004, 2 days before the end of the nomination period of the legislative elections; while the First Party Conference was held on 24th November, 2004, 110 years after the formation of the Revive China Society.

Investigation on the assassination attempt of Chen Shui-bian
Following the inauguration of President Lien Chan, an independent commission directly responsible to Premier and Vice President James Soong was established, to look into the assassination attempt of former President Chen.

Just before the legislative elections, former President Lee Teng-hui and various triad members were arrested in connection to the conspiracy against Chen Shui-bian before the election, after a controversial report issued by the so-called independent commission responsible for the investigation process. Former President Lee was accused by the commission to be the one behind the assassination attempt, claiming that the whole incident was not to get rid of Chen, but to improve the latter's electoral prospects. The findings were denounced as ridiculous by the entire Pan-Green camp, followed by huge rallies against the government of James Soong.

Legislative elections, 2004
Initially favored to win a majority of seats,
the Hsinmintang or New People's Party (HMT) was forced into a dead heat with the pan-Green camp after the controversial arrest of Lee Teng-hui. Through commercial flights, the Chinese government was accused of helping the HMT in the election by forcing Taiwanese businessmen to return to Taiwan to vote for the HMT. The HMT campaigned on its so-called economic achievement and closer ties with China, while the DPP and Taiwan Solidarity Union under the de facto control of Lee Teng-hui campaigned against what they called the increasingly authoritarian rule and the "betrayal of Taiwan".

The HMT won 107 seats in the election, followed by 90 for the DPP, 18 for the TSU, 5 for the Non-Partisan Solidarity Union and 5 independents. The Pan-Green coalition won 1 more seat than the ruling Hsinmintang, but 5 seats short of a majority.

Speaker election
attachment.php

The four independents in Kinmen, Changhua, Lienchiang and Yunlin decided to side with the HMT, giving it a 111-108 advantage over the pan-Green coalition. During the election of the President of the Legislative Yuan (Speaker), controversial independent Li Ao received 1 vote apparently from himself, Wang Jin-pyng received 111 votes, but the Non-Partisan Solidarity Union surprisingly voted for DPP Chairman and Former Premier Yu Shyi-kun, who was just elected lawmaker on the DPP party list, giving him 113 votes to become the Speaker. Meanwhile, David Chung Jung-chi of the HMT was elected Vice President of the Legislative Yuan over DPP LY Convener Ker Chien-ming by a 115-109 margin - 4 NSU lawmakers voted for Chung, while NSU lawmaker Chen Chin-ting voted for Ker.

The surprise defeat of Wang Jin-pyng in speakership election was a stunning blow to the newly formed Hsinmintang and the Lien-Soong government. In February 2005, Lien Chan resigned as Chairman of the ruling HMT, and was replaced by James Soong. James Soong, while remaining as Vice President, resigned as Premier after just 9 months in office, and was replaced by Wang Jin-pyng. Soong himself was not particularly happy about the arrangement, and saw it as a betrayal of Lien Chan. However, such bitterness would soon evaporate in light of a common enemy within the HMT, Taipei Mayor Ma Ying-jeou.

What a quick end to the only Taiwanese electoral timeline on this forum, ever.

It's not over yet. However, given the lack of response or interest from fellow AH.com members, I would only update it after finishing my next few updates on Tiananmen. If you were me, you would probably feel disheartened when not even one single person gives response until a few months later.

It's not over yet. However, given the lack of response or interest from fellow AH.com members, I would only update it after finishing my next few updates on Tiananmen. If you were me, you would probably feel disheartened when not even one single person gives response until a few months later.

Yeah. I'm sorry I missed it back in August.

Would the KMT really disband itself and rebrand itself in order to absorb the other two pan-Blue parties? They've got a lot of historical cachet, and their flipping sun is on the country's flag, after all. How much influence do minor parties in Taiwan have, anyway? I thought the pan- camps were really just dominated by the KMT and DPP.

I'm definitely interested in what Ma is gonna do next.

The author has the right to continue or reboot a TL regardless of how many years it is since the last update, so here’s an announcement.

As I’ve got more time now that I’m doing my masters on urban planning, I’m going to continue this timeline, 10 years after it was abandoned. There’ll be 4-5 updates only starting from next week, and I won’t be answering questions or feedback before the second last update comes out. I don’t care if no one cares about Taiwan, I’m writing this TL only because I want to provide an insight into what could have happened.

Owing to the fact that my real life identity was somehow easy to find out and has already been exposed, continuing on my Tiananmen TL would pose a risk to my family and former colleagues in Hong Kong. Writing on Taiwan is still not a taboo in Hong Kong, even as things get as bad as it is today.

Given what we know about the actual world after 2013, the Sunflower student movement in March 2014 permanently changed Taiwan. The world is interdependent, while many would correctly see the OTL Taiwan presidential election in 2020 as an example where the 2019 protests in Hong Kong shaped the 2020 Taiwanese elections, Euromaidan and Sunflower Movement in Taiwan also shaped the 2014 Umbrella protests in Hong Kong in OTL.

A Lien-Soong victory in 2004 was one of the least explored but most intriguing PoDs, that would not only affect Taiwan and Hong Kong, but global politics. There’s almost consensus though that had Lien won in 2004, it would only have been a one-term-presidency. But rest assured that Taiwan in 2004 was a vastly different society than it is today in 2024, as we embrace the third consecutive DPP term in office.

And another quick note. When I said in 2013 Yu Shyi-kun (DPP) would probably become the speaker/ Legislative Yuan president under a Lien-Soong presidency, I was never expecting him to actually become speaker from 2020 to 2024. There’re actually some KMT and DPP politicians who could easily stand the test of time, that won’t easily be butterflied away.

There’ll be an update on 10th April. See you all then.

I always love when a writer necros their timelines, usually means they've had a lot of interesting ideas swimming around in their head for a while! First time I've heard of this TL and looking forward to the updates Tony!

Huh...I was a bit confused on when I saw the title, but the more I read your threads, the more I am intrigued,...glad to say, considered this thread to be watched...

P/s: You are the first (active) user of this website who willingly reveal their public identity that I have encountered....I think I would have no further comment from here...(EDIT:...other than perhaps updating the no longer viewable pictures in the previous updates since it has been a long while...)

Would the KMT really disband itself and rebrand itself in order to absorb the other two pan-Blue parties? They've got a lot of historical cachet, and their flipping sun is on the country's flag, after all. How much influence do minor parties in Taiwan have, anyway? I thought the pan- camps were really just dominated by the KMT and DPP.

I'm definitely interested in what Ma is gonna do next.

Before the intorduction of the current electoral system in 2008, which is mainly FPTP (with some seats for Party List PR), the legislative election was mainly SNTV (with some seats for Party List PR). The influence of minor parties has declined since the introduction of the new system but they used to be more impactful in the 2000-2008 period.