JFK Proposes a Joint Lunar Landing: Do the Soviets Accept?

Let's say Kennedy survives on and his proposal is able to make his proposal to the Soviet Union to undertake a joint lunar landing on the moon sometime after 1964. The question is would Brezhnev accept the offer and go along with the proposal?

Let's say Kennedy survives on and his proposal is able to make his proposal to the Soviet Union to undertake a joint lunar landing on the moon sometime after 1964. The question is would Brezhnev accept the offer and go along with the proposal?

Sounds like a perfectly viable way to penetrate America's high tech industry. Especially in computer systems.

No. The Soviets would never accept. Because it would still go down as an American "victory".

Even worse, it could be seen as being worse that losing the moon race in the first place. The idea might well be that the "Russians couldn't get to the moon without riding with the Americans".

Only if the Soviets get to contribute a very obvious part of the mission hardware--which would be a good way to go and kill a lot of political support for the mission in the US. Can't have the Soviets build the booster--that would mean the Americans would fly out of Kazakhstan, which is just not tolerable. Can't have them build the reentry capsule--North American Aviation was on that contract way back even in 1961, and they'd raise hell about losing the contract when they were half-way to a flight article. The lander? Grumman was working on that since 1962. Taking the contract away would alienate voters in New York.

It comes down to either screwing over American defense contractors or having the Russians play a role limited to a cosmonaut riding along.

What about either having Nixon's trip to China happening earlier or the Apollo program lasting a little bit longer (or both) and the US offering a seat to a Chinese "astronaut"* in the spirit of cooperation between Capitalism and Communism and having the added benefit of giving a big FU to the Soviets :cp.

*Chinese obviously had no manned space program in the 60's or 70's this term is used loosely lol

(I also realize this has no relation to the OP, just an idea it gave me. :D )

Apparently the Soviets were on the verge of accepting when he was assasinated.

Archibald

Banned
We still don't know whether JFK was serious or not when he proposed the thing at the UN asembly in September 1963. Kruschtchev was reportedly puzzled by the proposal, and didn't really knew what to do with it. JFK aparently made the proposal to the soviet leader in June 1963 at the Vienna meeting, and the reaction was unenthusiastic to say the least.
The political issues were much more formidable than the technical problems.

More on this by a pair of NASA historians, here here and here

The bottom line is: 50 years later we still don't know, because a) JFK was assassinated and b) Khrushchev was brutally overthrown only months after the proposal was made.
Notably there's a Webb - JFK tape that is still classified (think until 2028, we are getting closer !)

Reading the two above, the cynic in me tends to think that by 1963 Apollo had become an expensive, hot potato and that JFK tried to find a way out of the thing. since cancelling the whole thing would have been outrageous, why not try to turn it into a cooperative project with the Soviets to defuse the Cold War after the cuban missile crisis ?

Kennedy was never an enthusiastic supporter of the Apollo program anyway. Not the way Lyndon Johnson was.

1) Kennedy cast about for some way to show up the Soviets in the field of science and technology before settling on the space race. One of the ideas were concepts for greening the Sahara desert.

2) Sometime after his "put a man on the moon and return him safely" speech, Kennedy was said to have commented that "had it not been for the Soviets, we really should not be spending all this money on space".

As a stand-alone POD I have to agree with the critics; there's little reason for JFK to make such an offer out of a blue sky and if he were mad enough to make it, he'd get no support on either side of the Iron Curtain, for the reasons given by others.

Just perhaps, I can very marginally imagine the Soviets taking the line that the American moon shot is an attempt at interplanetary imperialism and that the Americans should not be allowed to claim Luna for the USA, and that any landing by a purely US program would be such regardless of what we say. Then--and this is even more of a long shot--rather than defiantly asserting our right to go it alone anyway because we can, and perhaps in exasperation even claiming the Moon as we never intended to do (and I believe had treaties barring us from doing that we'd signed), a conciliatory President (Kennedy or whoever) comes back with the offer to expand the program beyond the USA under UN auspices, and invites the Russians in as chief partners.

But that's all ridiculously far-fetched obviously.

Now on the other hand--suppose it were an ASB situation where it became known, say in the year 1962, that actually there is a large and clearly intelligence-made complex of artifacts on the Lunar surface, holding God only knows what sorts of clues toward futuristic alien tech. Suddenly then the Space Race is not an arbitrary stunt competition; the fate of the world might hang on who gets access to that tech first.

I suppose most people, probably even myself in a soberly honest mood, would conclude this would merely add fuel to the flame of rivalry, forcing the Soviets to make their moonshot a much higher regime priority.

However then, in that case, when it is not just a matter of name-calling but a sober, factual possibility that whoever gets there first will indeed gain some world-conquering advantage fast, I think that although it is iffy the higher stakes might make both sides consider very soberly the option of going joint--again presumably under a UN banner, and in the name of all humanity. Both sides trade off the potential win of hitting the technological jackpot and dominating the other side into oblivion, to play it safe by guaranteeing equal access of both (and, depending on just how revolutionary and dangerous possible alien tech might be) indeed the whole world equally to whatever. And really the likeliest downside to cover with this bet is that actually, either because the alien site is a complete ruin or, quite as likely, it has highly advanced stuff that will eventually pay off, but for the moment is so very advanced and alien that it takes decades or even centuries for us to understand it. By going in together, both regimes, East and West, can avoid a breakneck race that can bankrupt them and put dozens (or with spectacular launcher failures, thousands or more) of lives at risk, and go at it methodically with complete transparency to the other side and the world.

So two costs are avoided--the high price of two reckless, crash programs, and the risk that whichever side sees itself as losing the race might decide to push the button rather than risk being swiftly and utterly conquered. And the more economical and methodical approach means less is risked against the all too likely outcome that there is no immediate payoff for anyone whatsoever--this also makes avoiding WWIII look smarter, considering that the desperate side might likely have been panicking over nothing. Yet panic they might without this kind of arrangement, at the nightmarish thought that they've conceded total victory to the other side by losing a long-shot gamble.

So--if we find alien artifacts in the system, which I sometimes glumly conclude is what it would take to guarantee a sustained rate of progress in space travel, I would advocate then for an international agreement guaranteeing fair access to all as the common heritage of all humanity, and argue that it would have hard-headed political traction, if the option is presented with a reasonable amount of diplomatic skill.

It belongs in ASB on this site, if there are aliens involved, but I think it can be done quite soberly. Some good threads have happened on this theme already though they have an unfortunate trend to fall in line with video game franchise universes.:(:rolleyes:

I think I'd start out with more a Roadside Picnic outcome at first--the tech is weird, incomprehensible and unpredictably dangerous; a timeline author could decide whether this means the effort is abandoned (under politically enforced quarantine) or redoubled with an in situ Moonbase being built up in hopes of a breakthrough--I'd frankly go for the latter, otherwise there isn't much story, is there?:rolleyes:

I've actually been wondering if I should* make the leap of trying to write a "Sentinel in 1948" timeline whereby mere telescopic improvements post-WWII, or perhaps as an outcome of postwar tech like radar, shows up a previously hidden alien marker on Luna, a clear invitation to a suitably advanced Terran species to "come and get it!" And whether the (all too moderately, alas!) famous British Interplanetary Society conceptual outline of a realistic Lunar mission with contemporary tech is close enough to realization to be actually built and launched before 1950. And whether the Americans (who alone would be able to fund the thing, outside the Soviet bloc anyway) would adopt a British design despite the Not Invented Here syndrome.

With the Soviet bloc under Stalin's thumb and the clashes of the early Cold War coming fast and scary, I'm not sure this scenario could be adapted to the "UN Project" format at all. But it just might be, what with left-over good will from WWII; a UN format might explain why a British design is being used even though Uncle Sam is paying most of the bill. If there could be three astronauts I suppose they'd surely be an American, a Russian--and a Briton.

Any chance young Arthur Clarke himself gets the nod for that last seat? I fear that would be ASB for real unfortunately!:p

OK, that's my suggestion--it unfortunately has to be ASB, but only because aliens are deemed such. You need aliens, otherwise superpower chestpounding makes it a choice between each bloc going it alone--or opting out altogether.

The purpose of the alien legacy tech is, to deter them from opting out and to make cooperation look like more of an option to consider.
-------
*No, I shouldn't--at least not insofar as enthusiasm for realizing the 1939 BIS ship as literally as possible is motivating me. A modern BIS spokesman concludes the thing was not feasible as designed though he doesn't spell out just how or why--clearly, I'd say, designing the habitable capsule to rotate on its axis for gravity was an unnecessary complication for instance. (To be sure, another reason given--apparently this entry in Encyclopedia Astronautica is a reproduction of the original article--was to provide control authority--it would indeed tumble unpredictably if not given a definite controlled spin--is valid, and a third reason that Apollo craft did indeed spin was the "barbecue roll," to even out solar heating--so some spin is indeed quite prescient of them, but it wouldn't generate appreciable and useful artificial gravity!) My browser is overloaded or I'd finish reading an article by team member in charge of Astronomy Arthur C. Clarke himself, republished as a memorial on his death, recapping the program.

Anyway it's evident that the BIS rocket probably couldn't and almost certainly shouldn't have been realized literally, at best it's a first draft in need of much revision. In the 1940s I daresay that even if the political barriers could have been overcome, Von Braun would have been consulted in America and his Soviet counterparts would agree, what was needed for a feasible first lander ASAP would be a program of Earth Orbit Rendezvous assembly of a moon ship from multiple launches. Well, maybe not, a really big rocket could do the thing in one launch.

As for returning to the OP and the early 60's, I daresay then too, EOR would dominate, especially in the context of international cooperation--if the Russians are launching some stages and the Americans others, that goes a long way toward resolving the pork issues and the shared glory issues.

Make no mistake, anyone who has read up on the wacky quarrels between NASA's various mission centers, nominally under one executive command, let alone the jockeying between private contractors (less of a problem really, since Von Braun was in the habit of letting the contractors make all the ingenious proposals they liked and then picking the one that matched what he and his designers had asked for in the first place, and demanding they then whittle it into even closer conformity to NASA design:rolleyes:--the problem was getting NASA itself to make up its mind what it was demanding:p) is not going to be sanguine about working out the quarrels between two different international blocs to agree on a design.:rolleyes: Not to mention that despite the ideological positions of the rival blocs (the West allegedly standing for free enterprise and diversity of thought, the East for optimization of effort through all-wise central command and control) the rivalries and duplications of effort in the Soviet program(s) made NASA (and its second-guessing by the Department of Defense) look positively Prussian in its tight self-discipline and focus.

But all this is why a joint US-Soviet program (under, I'd be pretty sure, a nominal UN banner) would be so very cool to pull off.

So let's get cracking on that alien site, and please not make it yet another Mass Effect or Stargate or even Trek spinoff, OK!

:cool:

We still don't know whether JFK was serious or not when he proposed the thing at the UN asembly in September 1963. Kruschtchev was reportedly puzzled by the proposal, and didn't really knew what to do with it. JFK aparently made the proposal to the soviet leader in June 1963 at the Vienna meeting, and the reaction was unenthusiastic to say the least.
The political issues were much more formidable than the technical problems.

More on this by a pair of NASA historians, here here and here

The bottom line is: 50 years later we still don't know, because a) JFK was assassinated and b) Khrushchev was brutally overthrown only months after the proposal was made.
Notably there's a Webb - JFK tape that is still classified (think until 2028, we are getting closer !)

Reading the two above, the cynic in me tends to think that by 1963 Apollo had become an expensive, hot potato and that JFK tried to find a way out of the thing. since cancelling the whole thing would have been outrageous, why not try to turn it into a cooperative project with the Soviets to defuse the Cold War after the cuban missile crisis ?

Thanks for those articles, Archibald! (Too bad my browser is so overloaded because of my reluctance to close windows.:eek: But they aren't a problem.) Just when I was doubting Kennedy could make such a proposal you show he actually did.

I tend to agree with the third article--he wasn't trying to back out but rather was looking for political capital to hang in there.

But without alien stuff to make the thing more pointed, I would fear that internationalizing Apollo would indeed have been a step in the direction of shutting it down. Once the fear of the Soviets winning the race was thus defused, the whole thing would have been more vulnerable to cost-cutting postponements, even with Kennedy dead and canonized and the more enthusiastic LBJ at the helm. Both superpowers would have been able to alternately drag their feet, putting off the deadline at will.

It opens up another possibility--if International Apollo does drag and delay and wind up, at some later date, cancelled completely due to some superpower confrontation (and of course those would happen, starting with Vietnam and likely conflicts in the Middle East not to mention a bunch of other flashpoints) at a moment of limited enthusiasm for national crusades--WI the Moon, untouched as yet, becomes trendy again, say in the context of a 1981 and on Reagan Administration? None, or at any rate very little, of the OTL infrastructure would have been accumulated--no Saturn V design, no F-1 or J-2 engines, no VAB, and probably nothing like the Shuttle program either. What sort of Apollo might have been developed as a Reagan crash program? Would Soviet Soyuz have gone on apace? Would we have developed something in the interim to keep our hand in, such as some sort of Gemini extension?

Anyway it's interesting that redlightning is on firmer ground than I realized and that the possibility that rather than reject it out of hand, or inevitably both sides using it as an escape hatch to procrastinate and then shut down the moon shot idea completely, it is in the cards that just maybe the joint program goes forward.

I've expressed interest on other sites about just what a successful Soviet lunar program would have looked like. For it to have happened, quite clearly the Kremlin would have had to adopt the goal as a regime priority; then I suspect resources would have been forthcoming and perhaps the most important thing--heads knocked together to subdue the tendency of rival operations to compete for completely contradictory programs. With the Russians doing it alone, from hindsight their downfall was failure to develop the necessary heavy-lift rockets to launch a complete moonship assembly in one go; I therefore recommended that the decision be made, for the short run anyway, to develop a feasible mission profile using EOR assembly of small orbital payloads--in the 10-20 tonne range. I've been guesstimating in my head, without benefit of recently consulting appropriate web sites and getting the mass figures fixed in my head, just what the bare-minimum orbital launch mass to TLI of the Korolev proposal for a minimum lander bringing down one cosmonaut to the surface for a brief period of just hours, then returning to Lunar orbit to rejoin what was little more (and perhaps a bit less than!:eek:) a run-of-the-mill Soyuz for trans-Earth injection and return of 2 cosmonauts in a Soyuz lander would be, and I'm coming up with something like 80 tonnes in low Earth orbit. That's assuming that they don't develop any kind of hydrogen-oxygen engine; kerosene-oxygen is about as efficient as "storable" hypergolic room-temperature fuels (such as used in the Titan II rockets that launched Gemini, or the Apollo Service and Lunar Modules, or Soyuz engine module to this day. Or for that matter the Shuttle's Orbital Manuevering Engines). People who know my views on this subject in the past year (and before it became personal at my uncle's funeral last year really) know I hate hypergolics, but realistically they would tend to be the way to go with a spacecraft that is being gradually assembled and fueled in orbit with multiple launches. Kerosene-oxygen would work about as well really since equilibrium temperatures in LEO make indefinite liquid oxygen storage realistic, but there would be little compelling advantage (other than safety on the ground--in space the dangerous propellants would be stored well away from crew for the most part--though precisely a leak in the reaction-control fuels of the last Apollo capsule, returning from Apollo-Soyuz, did endanger the life of that crew!:eek:). Hypergolics are even more easily stored than LOX and they have the advantage of igniting spontaneously on contact with each other, hence are more easily restarted and otherwise controlled. So, I assume hypergolics, with ISP in the ballpark of 300-320 or so. And I think 80 tonnes in orbit might do the trick. At 10 tonnes a pop, that's 8 launches, but with hypergolic fuels it is quite all right for the process to take a year or more.

Now--interjecting American cooperation all of a sudden, circa 1964--by that date we'd finished Mercury but hadn't launched any Geminis yet. Starting out with rendezvous missions (once Soyuz and Gemini had each had a chance to fly solo; Soyuz would have to be accelerated considerably for them to start cooperating by say 1966) would be a fine way to improve techniques so as to enable rendezvous. With funds for heavy lift rockets like the Saturn or the Soviet big ones put on the back burner, presumably the Americans would concentrate on upgrading the Titan--Titan III was originally meant for manned flight, to boost the "Dyna-Soar" spaceplane and Military Orbiting Lab, both Department of Defense projects. Almost as much as I hate "dragon's blood" hypergolics, that would lift the core of the Titan III just as they did Titan II, I hate solid boosters on a manned rocket, but such was Titan III alas. So the Americans would be committed to doing it quick and very dirty I guess.:(

The Russians I would think could concentrate on just upgrading the basic R-7 rocket that OTL has boosted every cosmonaut (or guest cosmonaut) who has ever launched from Russia, to this day, and was the same rocket that lifted Sputnik 1! Putting on 2 more booster pods, to make it 6 instead of 4, comes very close to a design I believe called "Onega" or something like that, and might have done the job pretty well on its own, with the job being defined as achieving masses to orbit in excess of 10 tonnes.

With both sides economizing on booster development I daresay the Russians might have brought out a version of Soyuz to overlap the Gemini years, and Americans, to upgrade the cramped "Gusmobile" (Gus Grissom was a remarkably small man, you see) to something more spacious and even more mission-capable.

The Americans are not going to want to settle for Korolev's "one quick footprint on the Moon and we're out of here" minimal design for a lunar lander. Conceivably with the two nations involved there would be pressure to keep the crews balanced between the blocs--either cutting down to just two, um, spacefarers per moonshot, or raising it to 4, two from each bloc, or maybe sticking with Apollo's 3, but bringing the third in from some more or less neutral country--considering that the developed world was then completely polarized between the blocs, the third astronaut/cosmonaut would presumably alternate between being a US ally (Britain, France, Italy, West Germany, Commonwealth Canadian, Australian, New Zealander, Japanese, etc) and Soviet bloc member--East German, Polish, Czech, etc--no Chinese, Yugoslavs, or Albanians need apply!:rolleyes: Going up to five crew could make the possibilities even more interesting but of course now we're talking serious upgrades of the program....:p

I'm going to guess it starts as a minimal "let's prove we can reach the moon and return safely, but in a bit more than Soviet style!" program for two, one from each major nation. Now the Korolev minimal lander is out because clearly the glory of the first landing must allow for either one of the nations to be the first to step down--I can see the matter of just which of them goes first being settled with an honorable coin flip, in the cabin or at joint mission control on Earth. (And where would that be? Finland? India?:rolleyes: Maybe Geneva, with the real control functions being split and paralleled between Houston and Kosmograd?) Designing the lander so two men can climb the ladder and jump down simultaneously seems a bridge too far for me, especially since after all one would surely touch before the other anyway, whereas both jumping at the same time puts the mission at serious risk.

So, something the size of Apollo's LEM, or anyway not much smaller, is needed to allow 2 people to land together. Also Korolev's lander was very simplified, to the point that there was no hatch to mate with one on the Soyuz--the lunar cosmonaut had to spacewalk out to the lander in a spacesuit, then when he returned to orbit spacewalk back into the mother ship. I daresay the Americans would insist on something a bit less primitive. So even if the duration of lunar stay turns out to be a lot less than OTL Apollo, the lander will still wind up closely resembling an OTL LEM--massing close to 15 tonnes at separation from the main vehicle.

Also would there be a third crew member? If not, the mission is at risk if there is no pilot in the orbiting main spacecraft to help rendezvous. Perhaps the joint program will decide to risk it, in the interest of keeping the political balance exact.

So now I'm envisioning basically a Soviet-designed and built Soyuz main craft, and a separately launched 15 tonne American-made LEM. If the Soviet and American launchers both can put exactly 15 tonnes into orbit, the Soyuz can be almost twice as massive as OTL--it could be that's all extra storable fuel for trans-Earth injection. So, 30 tonnes of craft to orbit Luna, plus whatever fuel it takes to brake from the TLI transfer orbit to lunar orbit. The amount that needs to go TLI is rapidly climbing to OTL Apollo's 45 tonnes plus 10 or so for the Saturn V third stage empty mass; using hydrogen and oxygen propellant the all-up weight Saturn V with a partial burn of that third stage put into orbit was well over 100 tonnes. With storable fuels, it would take substantially more to achieve the same velocity change. I've actually wondered whether it would have been possible to launch the stage that brakes the moon craft into Lunar orbit last, and to make that one stage hydrogen fueled, since it would spend little time in Earth orbit and just a few days coasting to Luna before being expended.

But that would only be a marginal reduction of the overall launch weights, and a complication in a program that otherwise commits to using hypergolics all the way except perhaps in first stage booster launch.

I'm thinking overall it could come to 12 or so 15 tonne launches.

Not leaving the "command/service module" Soyuz manned draws attention to the notion of doing it direct all the way--launching a habitable/reentry/command single module plus landing tanks plus launch tanks directly at the Moon, to land in one burn from TLI speeds with no orbiter, and then launch that same single module from the Moon's surface directly back to Earth reentry. This is more the way Korolev's rival Chelemoi wanted to do things. I don't have the mass figures for his proposed vehicle, that of course he wanted to make a big rocket to launch directly into Earth parking orbit fully assembled, so I'm not sure how it would break down into 15 tonne modules. Chelemoi was quite fond of hypergolic rockets so he would not need a strictly worded memo to design around them!:rolleyes:

I think the thing could be done with many 10-20 tonne penny packet launches. Alternatively the program could settle for aiming at developing standard launchers somewhat more capable, say 30-50 tonnes, trading off a delay in getting started (meanwhile practicing rendezvous and orbital assembly with off the shelf Gemini and improved Voshkods) followed by needing fewer launches and perhaps even launching sufficient hydrogen for the TLI in one go, that being the last or second-to-last launch (the last being the manned ship itself). An obvious variant on the theme would be to have a previously launched space station, which could either serve as a "form" as it were to assemble many parallel, separately launched TLI, Lunar orbit insertion, and Trans-Earth injection stages for the last manned stage to dock to, or as a fuel recooler for hydrogen, or both.

Finally, the joint program might agree, as everyone preferred in the 1960s, to develop a single big launcher to put a whole moonship complete with its TLI fuel into orbit in one launch as per OTL Apollo--or per Chelemoi's preference, or even Korolev's if only he could.

One reason I like penny-packet EOR is that it frees up the rival nations to design modules separately, as long as standards are kept up and as long as integration in orbit happens according to those standards.

Also, hindsight experience tells us that heavy launchers--even if we define that by latter-day, post-Apollo regressed experience as "twenty tonnes or more to orbit" are rarely wanted. If the program elects to freeze the launch requirement at 15 tonnes or so, then afterward the standard rocket (or rockets, assuming each nation has its own model) is/are suitable for many LEO missions or for launching comsats to geosynchronous orbit. Whereas a giant rocket capable of sending even a frugal moonship into orbit in one launch will be a white elephant unless we envision ever more ambitious manned space projects with ever-rising program budgets into the future. And if the two nations, and perhaps other nations buying in, elect to keep up with more capable moon missions and an aggressive program of space construction, our experience tells us this can be done with mostly 10+ tonne modules. Economies might come in with more frequent launches of standard rockets, especially as the majority of launches will be unmanned, but the manned missions will use essentially the same launcher.

Therefore with hindsight, one might hope that the two nations agree early on to develop a 15 tonne to orbit model and stick with it, improving its efficiency and other economies perhaps but in the end relying on it for all launch needs.

He did make the proposal, twice. He was turned down by the Soviets twice. And Congress passed legislation that were NASA to work jointly with the Soviet Union in space, all funding to it would be cut. You aren't going to get a joint Lunar landing.

Archibald

Banned
Handwaving the immense political obstacles, one can also ask how the mission would have proceeded. Let's say we work from OTL Apollo and L3 respective programs (apollo was frozen in 1962, although the soviet program did not started before 1964; the pacing item for them wa the N1 severe limitations)

American lunar stack
- CSM + LM

Soviet lunar stack
- soyuz + LK

The LK is good for nothing, but the Soyuz is more interesting. Perhaps send one around the Moon, unmanned, as a possible lifeboat. Even then there's a severe issue, that is, the early Soyuz has no internal docking system. Astronauts had to crawl externally !

At the end of the day I think the soviet most interesting contribution to Apollo might have been their robotic vehicles.
On the American side robotic lunar explorers were seen as pathfinder to Apollo. As soon as Apollo started flying in 1968 the Lunar Orbiters and Surveyors bite the dust.
The Soviets had a robot genius named Babakin, the head of the Lavochkin bureau.
In WWII Lavochkin had build fantastic fighters, but they had lost that business to MiG. After many twist and turn the OKB ended building robotic probes with a huge success.
It was Babakin that build the soviet lunar orbiters, the samplers and the Lunokhod robots.

The way I see it, the Soviets could send Lunokhods or Luna sample return probes to place where humans can't land - Tycho, the poles, and the far side.
Then the robots could join with the american crews, one way or another.
For example, the Luna sample return could send its canister, not to Earth but to a waiting Apollo CSM. The lunar sample could be heavier since the canister would only go to lunar orbit and not to Earth surface through the atmosphere.
Also, Lunokhods were created to wheel soviet astronauts from a stranded LK to another (no kidding).
Lunokhod could be a useful complement to the Apollo lunar jeep, extending the range of exploration.
Lastly, whatever the performance of the N-1, that rocket could certainly drop a cargo lander near an Apollo to augment the mission tremendously.

When JFK floated the idea, it was pure propaganda. He was offering nothing to the USSR they could accept. In the early 1960's the USSR was (or saw itself) far ahead in the space race. They had the bigger boosters and had generally done everything first (satellite, man in space, spacewalk, multi-ship flight, moon probe, venus probe, etc). I think JFK fully suspected that the Russians would not bite, but it made the USA look good to make the suggestion.

When JFK floated the idea, it was pure propaganda. He was offering nothing to the USSR they could accept. In the early 1960's the USSR was (or saw itself) far ahead in the space race. They had the bigger boosters and had generally done everything first (satellite, man in space, spacewalk, multi-ship flight, moon probe, venus probe, etc). I think JFK fully suspected that the Russians would not bite, but it made the USA look good to make the suggestion.

I think you are probably right about that OTL. Can you imagine a non-ASB scenario (which excludes not just silly stuff but also my "alien tech is out there" scenario in which I seriously think the logic of cooperation would prevail for reasons I've already expounded) where Kennedy might have been serious?

And, what if the Soviets unexpectedly came back with expressions of interest? I suppose a cynical JFK would assume they too were being cynical and just upping the ante before calling his bluff--but what then? How would he get out of the hole he just dug himself with some dignity intact?

You never knew exactly what to expect when dealing with Khrushchev!:p

That said, the Soviets would have more weighty reasons than a false complacency to hesitate to take the offer, however sincere. They, the Kremlin leadership anyway, had a keen sense of just how much of their apparent supremacy in space was illusion and bluff. (They had a bigger booster because their warheads were heavier, for instance--Khrushchev understood full well that fundamentally the West was still far ahead in potential, and of course their lead in booster throw-weight to orbit did not last long). Serious cooperation with the West would have rather painfully exposed the ways in which they were actually backward.

Archibald

Banned
I think you are probably right about that OTL. Can you imagine a non-ASB scenario (which excludes not just silly stuff but also my "alien tech is out there" scenario in which I seriously think the logic of cooperation would prevail for reasons I've already expounded) where Kennedy might have been serious?

And, what if the Soviets unexpectedly came back with expressions of interest? I suppose a cynical JFK would assume they too were being cynical and just upping the ante before calling his bluff--but what then? How would he get out of the hole he just dug himself with some dignity intact?

I think you have something - I call this the Murphy law. Two cynisms and lies blend together and, unexpectedly something positive happens.
I like it. It reminds me of that TL - or the OTL Reykjavik summit in 1986.
That would be a fun read.

even if this proposal survived Political hell
the moment NASA and Soviets aerospace drafting offices show each other in there carts
Nasa realize how primitive and robust the Soviet Space Hardware is, while the Soviet belief that NASA show them Sci-fi stuff

a R&D on mutually Hardware (Booster, manned Capsule and Lander) become a absurd Joke.

In end if this JFK proposal goes ahead then only on NASA hardware with Mix crew of Soviets and Americans
and the dispute which one stepped out lunar module ?

mauldin.jpg

Last edited:
I always appreciate a good Bill Mauldin cartoon, Michel!:D

That said--I want to respond a bit to Archibald's earlier contribution. A non-ASB scenario in which both the Americans and Soviets are deeply committed to a cooperative mission is difficult to justify, I think we all agree. Suppose though that we had a situation, ASB or otherwise, where the commitment is there on both sides--my fallback being a "Sentinel" scenario where it becomes known there is an alien artifact on the moon, and the two superpowers (and their allies, insofar as they have freedom of action--that is, the Western allied powers since the Soviet bloc is under complete Kremlin control) agree to cooperate for the sake of mutual security through transparency. It is given that all Lunar missions, certainly any that are meant to add to knowledge of the alien artifact, will include both an American and a Soviet citizen. It is given that both sides will contribute something substantial to the mission. The exact timeframe and thus plausible contributions would depend on the scenario--to come close to this thread's non-ASB POD, say both Soviets and Americans discover the artifact just before Kennedy decided to make his cooperation proposal OTL--so now he's quite serious about it and the Soviets are too.

In that case, I suggested that the lowest-risk way to guarantee a program that moves forward methodically and briskly without waiting for high-risk Godots (such as big boosters like the Saturn V or Korolev's big monster) would be to focus on enhancing payload to LEO to say 15 tonnes on a standard rocket, a stretch of a Titan (or conceivably a small Saturn like a slightly bigger version of the IB) and an R-7 respectively for US and Russia. And then plan to assemble in LEO a multi-launched, multi-module lunar craft.

Exactly such was Korolev's early plan for a lunar flyby, and designing for it was the origin of Soyuz.

Basically before I suggested that the Americans are tasked with making a version of the LEM, whereas the role of the CSM in Apollo is here taken by a version of Soyuz. If the crew is just two, one Soviet and one American, and both land in the LEM together taking the gamble that they can reliably dock to the unmanned Soyuz (if they can make Lunar orbit at all of course!) so no third crewmember is needed (for the earliest, get-a-footprint-on-the Moon mission, combine with "get a close-up, human eyeball look at the alien thing--but don't do anything drastic with it yet!" mission), then I think something not unlike OTL Soyuz can do the job, assisted with lots of other rocket stages of course.

As for docking to the LEM--no, of course no Soyuz was ever designed to do that OTL, but that's the beauty of the Soyuz orbital module--it can be tailored to just about any specialized task, within the mass limits. I think making it capable of docking to the LEM should be pretty simple. The task of actually doing it is challenging of course, but it wasn't beyond the ability of any Apollo CSM pilot and if this mission plan of mine is going to work at all, by the time they go to the Moon rendezvous and docking should be old hat to all cosmonauts and astronauts.

I think where the will exists, the Soviets could contribute half the essential hardware, and it could be made to work well enough with the American-made components.

It's having the will that is tricky of course.