"How Few Remain" TV Miniseries in the Works

The Andrew Wyly Film Company has acquired the film rights to "How Few Remain", as well as "The Great War: American Front", "The Great War: Walk in Hell" and "The Great War: Breakthroughs". They are looking to create a 10 episode miniseries of the former book.

Don't get your hopes up yet, since they still need a partner behind them, but it is a very interesting thing that an alternate history story may come to TV.

http://howfewremain.com/
http://alternatehistoryweeklyupdate.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-andrew-wyly-film-company-acquires.html

I hope this comes through! I've long thought that TL-191 would make a great miniseries, and it'd be a great way to get a little mainstream attention to alternate history.

My expectations for it would probably be pretty low. It'd probably be something like the "Fatherland" film adaptation: not bad and well done for what it is, but oversimplified the story and missed some of the points that the author was trying to make in the original story. But I'd still love to see it.

I'm just worried about adaption changes for the worst when all is said and done. TV executives have a tendency to not be the brightest bunch, and to think that the viewers are morons as well. Something like if the rest of the series were done, and the US ended up on the side of a Germany that still became Nazi Germany.

Abhakhazia

Banned
Interesting, I'm speculating on what channel would take them. Maybe History? They seem to be into the ten-part miniseries things.

Stolengood

Banned
I'm pretty sure History would be far more interested in a Guns of the South adaptation... because, c'mon. :D

You know that a Worldwar miniseries would be awesome.

And you know that were it to happen on the History Channel, you would have 24 hour a day tie-ins telling you how it really happened, and the secret alien technology of the Reich, the Roswell crash, Hitler's space program, and so on. And then for some reason "Pawn Stars".

Jcw3

Banned
And you know that were it to happen on the History Channel, you would have 24 hour a day tie-ins telling you how it really happened, and the secret alien technology of the Reich, the Roswell crash, Hitler's space program, and so on.

Eh. Still, imagine how awesome it would be to see that series on television. It would finally show us what the Race actually look like.

Yes! I can't wait till it actually premeirs (it'll probably be a while though, but I'm still happy). I started reading How few Remain a while ago and was instantly hooked. I have high hopes for this. :D

May it live up to our expectations, and may we get a second ten plus part series dealing with the depression and GWII.

JSmith

Banned
Great news for us long suffering fans of Harry Turtledove.
All the slings and arrows hurled at him feel like they hit us sometimes-if you prick us do we not bleed :p

Abhakhazia

Banned
I would kind of hope they would cover the immediate post war, 1917 to 1922, in the C.S.A. That's my favorite part of American Empire...and pretty much the only part of American Empire I like.

I'm just worried about adaption changes for the worst when all is said and done. TV executives have a tendency to not be the brightest bunch, and to think that the viewers are morons as well. Something like if the rest of the series were done, and the US ended up on the side of a Germany that still became Nazi Germany.

Personally, I think they would avoid the whole "US allied with Germany" thing so as not to have what they perceive as negative connotation. They might simply ignore the rest of the world (not that hard a thing considering how turtledove wrote it) and simply have North vs South....

.....WITH TANKS !

(sorry, barrels.....)

PS: if they trim the fat a bit it might actually help make it less tedious by avoiding the "tobacco hasn't be good since the beginning of the war" and the like being repeated ad nauseam.

Great news for us long suffering fans of Harry Turtledove.
All the slings and arrows hurled at him feel like they hit us sometimes-if you prick us do we not bleed :p

If you show us a POD, do we not run with it ?
If we see polar opposite works of fictions, do we not ISOT one unto the other ?
If you invoke Israel, do we not get banned ?
And if you start a sealion TL asking for comments, shall we not call ASB on it ?
The writer of Uchronia (Act III, scene I)

elkarlo

Banned
I hope this comes through! I've long thought that TL-191 would make a great miniseries, and it'd be a great way to get a little mainstream attention to alternate history.

My expectations for it would probably be pretty low. It'd probably be something like the "Fatherland" film adaptation: not bad and well done for what it is, but oversimplified the story and missed some of the points that the author was trying to make in the original story. But I'd still love to see it.

Yeah, I see it being over simplified as well.