DBWI: Borders of Poland

Attached is a map of modern-day Poland overlayed with lines in red. Your task is to produce the circumstances by which the lines in red are the modern-day borders of Poland.

polandb.PNG

What the hell? How could Poland lose Galicia? Lwow is a completely Polish city- I mean, the city signs are mostly completely in Polish even! (Well, Yiddish sometimes as well)
And you've dumped tons of Germans into Poland, while getting rid of many Poles...

Though strange map... The "Free City" of Danzig was annexed by Poland in the 60s, though the province kept the name "Free City" of Danzig in protest against the Polish government.

Imajin said:
What the hell? How could Poland lose Galicia? Lwow is a completely Polish city- I mean, the city signs are mostly completely in Polish even! (Well, Yiddish sometimes as well)
And you've dumped tons of Germans into Poland, while getting rid of many Poles...

Though strange map... The "Free City" of Danzig was annexed by Poland in the 60s, though the province kept the name "Free City" of Danzig in protest against the Polish government.
It is "Free City Danzig," just as several of the German states call themselves "Free Cities." Essentially, Danzig, as you know and indicate, has been a full Polish voivodship since 1964.

To get back on topic, I suppose a POD would be Poland simultaneously doing much worse in it's war against the USSR in the 1920s, while also winning the Warmia plebisite in the southern half of Ost-Prussen. Though how would it get so much of Germany- does it have Stettin?

Imajin said:
To get back on topic, I suppose a POD would be Poland simultaneously doing much worse in it's war against the USSR in the 1920s, while also winning the Warmia plebisite in the southern half of Ost-Prussen. Though how would it get so much of Germany- does it have Stettin?
Oddly, it does look to have Stettin, but that too seems quite the oddity. Maybe Poland gets into a war with Germany after the severe loss to the Soviets?

Whoa, how'd their borders get that far east? What, did some reactionary regime take over Germany in the 1920's and get trounced by Poland?

luakel said:
Whoa, how'd their borders get that far east? What, did some reactionary regime take over Germany in the 1920's and get trounced by Poland?
Possibly. Maybe the Germans faced French troops on the other side as well? I figure that Poland probably did much to modernize its military after the loss to the Soviets. But what a way to thank the arbiter of that deal...

Wendell said:
Possibly. Maybe the Germans faced French troops on the other side as well? I figure that Poland probably did much to modernize its military after the loss to the Soviets. But what a way to thank the arbiter of that deal...
Well, in 1935, the Franco-Polish Intervention invaded Germany to enforce the terms of the Treaty of Versailles when Germany threatened to rebuild its military. During that time, the Lithuanians, Ruthenians, and Ukranians were thinking of declaring war against Poland as a German ally, but didn't.

I guess in this TL, when the three Central European Countries realize that the Poles are on the banks of the Oder River about 100 miles from Berlin, they must have declared war on Poland. Poland was taken by surprise, and since most of its troops were on their way to march into Berlin out west and the small Konigsburg battalion the only one who can resonably defend on the east, the East was quickly overran by this Central Alliance. Eventually, the Poles were able to stabilize the Eastern Front, but could not regain the territory they have lost. The ensuing peace treaty states that Poland can keep all territories gained from Germany, but must cede territories lost to Lithuania, Ruthenia, and Ukraine.

I think your thread is in the wrong forum. If for some reason the Germans stop to settle in the east (had to be between 1000 and 1200), and Russia stays stronger (no Mongols?), then it could work. But afterwards, the borders of the nationalities became too fixed, and Poland and Silesia and East Prussia were German and would stay so.

PoorBoy said:
Well, in 1935, the Franco-Polish Intervention invaded Germany to enforce the terms of the Treaty of Versailles when Germany threatened to rebuild its military. During that time, the Lithuanians, Ruthenians, and Ukranians were thinking of declaring war against Poland as a German ally, but didn't.

I guess in this TL, when the three Central European Countries realize that the Poles are on the banks of the Oder River about 100 miles from Berlin, they must have declared war on Poland. Poland was taken by surprise, and since most of its troops were on their way to march into Berlin out west and the small Konigsburg battalion the only one who can resonably defend on the east, the East was quickly overran by this Central Alliance. Eventually, the Poles were able to stabilize the Eastern Front, but could not regain the territory they have lost. The ensuing peace treaty states that Poland can keep all territories gained from Germany, but must cede territories lost to Lithuania, Ruthenia, and Ukraine.
The Soviet problem hinders your theory, does it not?

Wendell said:
Well, considering those Polish borders (colored, not red) are 1922, the Soviets would be Russians...
Well, won't the Russians be a bit further to the east, just beyond Ruthenia and the Ukraine?

Well, I guess the Russians can fit into the equation. Maybe once the French captured Berlin (and Hitler), they begin to head further east to help their Polish Allies against the Lithuanians, Ruthenes, and Ukrainians. But then, Russia has threatened to 'join' the Central Alliance against the Poles and French. The French and Poles dread the prospect of having to fight the Russian Army. Lithuania, Ruthenia, and Ukraine dread it even more since they believe that the Russians would eventually overstay their welcome, and use the conflict as an excuse to annex their respective countries. A lose-lose situation. So, both sides end up suing for peace.

PoorBoy said:
Well, won't the Russians be a bit further to the east, just beyond Ruthenia and the Ukraine?

Well, I guess the Russians can fit into the equation. Maybe once the French captured Berlin (and Hitler), they begin to head further east to help their Polish Allies against the Lithuanians, Ruthenes, and Ukrainians. But then, Russia has threatened to 'join' the Central Alliance against the Poles and French. The French and Poles dread the prospect of having to fight the Russian Army. Lithuania, Ruthenia, and Ukraine dread it even more since they believe that the Russians would eventually overstay their welcome, and use the conflict as an excuse to annex their respective countries. A lose-lose situation. So, both sides end up suing for peace.
Interesting concept:)

Well, at my first inclination, I'm with Max Sinister, there's no way that Poland's borders could move that much after 1900. But then I realized, what if the Great War had turned out slightly differently, and the allies decided that Germany needed to be disbanded? The Holy Roman Empire method of lots of little states would just lead to a reunification, so I imagine Germany getting divided up into four states: Prussia, Hanover, Wurttemburg, and Bavaria. All have democracy forced on them. The Prussian state, however, is majority Pole, and the Germans cannot stand losing all the votes on cultural issues. By the 40s or so, this leads to civil war, with the Germans losing badly, and a mass migration occurs, like when the Jews fled the Inquisition. The Poles naturally rename their nation, that they have finally kicked the Germans out of after so many centuries, Poland. Perhaps in this TL the Russian Empire is also doing a poor job managing its eastern provinces, but is militarily strong, so that Polish people in Lvov and such towns find that immigration to Poland makes more sense than trying to revolt.