WI Both John and Yoko Ono Lennon were gunned down Dec. 8th, 1980?

What would the reaction be to both of the Lennons being killed on that day in 1980?

Would the public image of Yoko Ono post the assassination be softer? Would Double Fantasy have been an even bigger hit with both of them dead?

Is Aunt Mimi Smith Sean's next of kin? Would Sean have grown up in England?

So what is the overall reaction short and long-term, and what becomes of poor little Sean?

(No Yoko-hating, please. That's so tedious.)

Cook

Banned
I doubt anything much would change; Imagine would still see enormous sales, far beyond what the quality of the music merited, and the people who blamed Yoko for breaking up The Beatles would still blame Yoko for breaking up The Beatles (despite the fact that it was McCartney that wanted the break).

I doubt anything much would change; Imagine would still see enormous sales, far beyond what the quality of the music merited, and the people who blamed Yoko for breaking up The Beatles would still blame Yoko for breaking up The Beatles (despite the fact that it was McCartney that wanted the break).

You mean Double Fantasy, surely.

And you're right about McCartney, of course.

I've just been reminded that Elton John was Sean's godfather.

What would Sean's career look like with John as his adoptive father figure?

Well it's difficult to know Sean's fate here. And I expect the Lennon inheritance will be a mess. Also it isn't at all clear who'd represent John in "Beatle" discussions here, and who'd manage the estate. Without Yoko Ono advocating the importance of Lennon's solo career, his career after 1969 might not play the same role in how he is viewed.

Sean Lennon becomes Batman.

I know I shouldn't but I laughed at this. I must be a terrible person, because the death of both of the Lennons would have been a tragedy, and I would hate to make light of it. But still the image of Sean Lennon as Batman is funny to me.

Last edited:

Agreed.

Nothing changes, the world doesn't care about her and the coverage would still be Lennon dominated.

On small ripple could be that her role in art in the 80s to today would disappear. Now ... I think modern art is largely a selfwank absurdity and don't know what would change without her ... but that is all I can see. Not to hate, but after Lennon she is nothing.

Anything Yoko-related will receive a small sales hike thanks to her relationship with Lennon. She won't be be well-regarded (she never was anyway).

Maybe... Paul edits the Master Tape of The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill in 2012 to remove her 'vocals'...

Anything Yoko-related will receive a small sales hike thanks to her relationship with Lennon. She won't be be well-regarded (she never was anyway).

Maybe... Paul edits the Master Tape of The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill in 2012 to remove her 'vocals'...

Why would he? Let it Be Naked aside, I can't see him being that Orwellian. Yoko Ono becomes the woman Lennon loved and not "that bitch who broke up the Beatles" in the public's eye. Besides Paul McCartney is basically going to win all the Beatle arguments going forward McCartney/Lennon and all that. I'm actually not sure who would represent the Lennon estate here in Sean's minority but I doubt that they will be as willing to fight with McCartney over ego related stuff as Yoko Ono is and was.

No it was John. Paul beat him to it as he was fed up of being messed about.

Paul wouldn't suddenly go power mad and change everything, the 'McCartney/Lennon' reversal was over a live album Paul did solo (in fact I believe they may have been reversed on Wings Over America when John was alive, though I'm not sure), that and on Please Please Me, the credits are 'McCartney-Lennon'.

He hasn't gone erasing everything Heather Mills related from his back-catalogue, so...