The Beatles find a concert venue for the proposed "Get Back" concert earlier

I realize in the grand scheme of things this is a minor divergence in the band's history, and I also realize that by the time in question you could make the case that a split was an inevitable question of when and not if. But the band spent a long time trying to settle on a concert venue after the White album sessions, failing to settle on a location until the end of January 1969 with the famous rooftop concert. According to at least one, albeit, questionable, source, the group or at least some members had wanted to hold a concert as early as December 1968, but that deadline passed without a venue. I am not sure how to pull this off, but what if an acceptable venue for a concert had been found as early as possible after the White album sessions, and said concert had been held earlier than the end of January 1969

Had the concert venue been found early enough, there may not have been time to film the rehearsals in the detail McCartney wanted, so if it occurs early enough, the Let it Be film may dissappear, though I think there was always a desire to film such a concert.

In any event, the group finds their venue earlier, what if anything, changes for the course of the band's limited existence and their prospective solo careers?

I'll toss this out there just to get the ball rolling:

After it was suggested they have the concert on a ship, John said he was warming to the idea of having it in an insane asylum.

But what if they get an offer they can't refuse to play on a cruise ship?

Maybe they have fun doing it too and there are repeat performances over the years.

Maybe even John is with the Beatles on the QE II instead of leaving the Dakota and getting shot in December, 1980?

I'm imagining the aging Beatles playing in a cruise ship ballroom with the lights and disco ball going as a graying crowd dances. The applause for "When I'm 64" is thunderous...

Last edited:
The ship idea is a good idea. Historically, it was rejected because the band thought the idea would lead to too much exclusivity and would come across as elitist to put it midly. That's the big problem here, either you have a situation where too few people are able to attend the concert that it goes against the ethos of the time, or it is such a massive undertaking as to be untenable. Well, also George Harrison was hostile to the idea of a concert, but since he did do the rooftop concert he could probably be roped into to performing elsewhere.

Wasn't one of the plans a Roman amphitheatre?

That would be amazing. Imagine the film, and it would probably go down in pop-culture on the same level as the rooftop concert.

I'd forgotten about the Roman amphitheatre, Mr Shears. I remember reading about that and imagining the Beatles playing in the Colosseum dressed in the costumes they wore in the ski scene from Help!

They also talked about doing the Roundhouse in London in December 1968. But John appeared solo in the Stones' Rock and Roll Circus tv special.

They also talked about doing the Roundhouse in London in December 1968. But John appeared solo in the Stones' Rock and Roll Circus tv special.

So they actually had a venue proposed for a December 1968 concert? Interesting, because I was not sure if that was ever proposed. One wonders what they would have played, as much of their new "Get Back" material was not yet ready for primetime at that point. Probably a lot of White Album songs at that concert. Yer Blues, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Birthday, Helter Skelter, Revolution, are all possibilities for such a show if it happened.

Forgive my ignorance, but what sort of venue is the Roundhouse?

The Roundhouse is a former railway shed in London and is better known for its many famous concerts beginning in the late Sixties.

So they actually had a venue proposed for a December 1968 concert? Interesting, because I was not sure if that was ever proposed. One wonders what they would have played, as much of their new "Get Back" material was not yet ready for primetime at that point. Probably a lot of White Album songs at that concert. Yer Blues, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Birthday, Helter Skelter, Revolution, are all possibilities for such a show if it happened.

I think a successful show in late-1968 might just give The Beatles some spark to keep going for longer than OTL.

If the set-list is mostly Beatles songs that have ALREADY been written, arranged & recorded, then there's less pressure than OTL's "Get Back" project. Although they did toy with the idea of using some old songs in the Get Back rehearsals ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciHMU7K_74A ) it was never a serious consideration, more just goofing around when they got tired of trying to nail the arrangement of yet another new song.

Sure, a 4-man set-up would limit what songs they could do, but if they got a 5th Beatle to supplement their live show it would open up more options.

The most straightforward idea would be to bring in someone like Nicky Hopkins on piano/keyboards - keep the fab four on their usual bass/rhythm/lead/drums duties but broaden the palette.

However another idea could be to bring in Eric Clapton, which could be a move to appease George and also give John the opportunity to move between guitar & keyboards depending on the song. Those two were the most resistant to the idea of live performances, so you've got to put some sort of incentive in there for them to commit to it (and most importantly see it through.. rather than just playing a 30-minute gimmick on a rooftop)

However another idea could be to bring in Eric Clapton, which could be a move to appease George and also give John the opportunity to move between guitar & keyboards depending on the song. Those two were the most resistant to the idea of live performances, so you've got to put some sort of incentive in there for them to commit to it (and most importantly see it through.. rather than just playing a 30-minute gimmick on a rooftop)
I like this idea, and I have an idea for the setlist, songs from the Get Back sessions only.
It would be the Beatles joined by Billy Preston and Eric Clapton

I think a successful show in late-1968 might just give The Beatles some spark to keep going for longer than OTL.

If the set-list is mostly Beatles songs that have ALREADY been written, arranged & recorded, then there's less pressure than OTL's "Get Back" project. Although they did toy with the idea of using some old songs in the Get Back rehearsals ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciHMU7K_74A ) it was never a serious consideration, more just goofing around when they got tired of trying to nail the arrangement of yet another new song.

Sure, a 4-man set-up would limit what songs they could do, but if they got a 5th Beatle to supplement their live show it would open up more options.

The most straightforward idea would be to bring in someone like Nicky Hopkins on piano/keyboards - keep the fab four on their usual bass/rhythm/lead/drums duties but broaden the palette.

I tend to think any concert with all the members would have been a gimmick in so far as it would be a unique event. A Beatles tour is not going to happen. But a single show strikes me as within the realm of possibility, albeit Lennon and to a greater extent Harrison would treat it as a chore. The main idea is that a concert early enough would have prevented the let's film ourselves bickering in the morning idea, with a straight up concert film taking the place of Let It Be. Also conceivably, it could provide the group with the rest they needed after the all but disasterous White Album sessions. Yes I love the White album, but those sessions were horrible for the band, and they needed more time to recover then McCartney gave them.

What songs do you think they would play at a 1968 concert? Hey Jude, Revolution, Yer Blues, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Helter Skelter are the songs that come to mind for me.

Last edited:
As an aside, I think the period during which there was the most enthuisasm for some sort of live performance was shortly following the Hey Jude/Revolution promotional pseudo performance in August of 1968, especially where John Lennon was concerned. Of course doing a double album makes doing a concert in September essentially impossible, so at the earliest we would be looking at a November 1968 show, by which point the interest of everyone but Paul McCartney had waned.

As an aside, I think the period during which there was the most enthuisasm for some sort of live performance was shortly following the Hey Jude/Revolution promotional pseudo performance in August of 1968, especially where John Lennon was concerned. Of course doing a double album makes doing a concert in September essentially impossible, so at the earliest we would be looking at a November 1968 show, by which point the interest of everyone but Paul McCartney had waned.

Unless they bend to George Martin's idea and issue a single album instead of a double.

Instead of picking the best tracks from the while White Album sessions, just pick the best out of what had been recorded by August 1968.

Album comes out in September/October 1968, concert/TV special happens about the same time. Then that would influence what gets played in the show.

It would be interesting to speculate what happens to songs that in OTL were recorded at the end of White Album sessions.. Whether they get a preview performance in the concert, get held-over for the next Beatles album, or become debut solo singles.

I liked the idea of them doing a show at an undisclosed locale in the Tunisian desert. They would announce the show and then people would have to find the concert. Epic brilliance in spite of the tremendous risk. Just imagine traveling the desert with your guide and then hearing Revolution kick it off in the distance, "That way! We found it! Hurry!"

Unrealistic, I know. But VERY cool.

Another idea that I don't think has been mentioned here was to book a show under an assumed name at a venue in Hamburg, being billed as an up-and-comer or some such thing. When the bar crowd sees the band come out they lose their minds - because it's the Beatles.

Either of these ideas would make a great concert film by the Maysles Pennebaker, or Lindsay-Hogg (as OTL).

Of course, knowing the Beatles, if any scenario had become likely it would have been either the Colosseum - which the Church would most likely forbid - or playing the QEII while floating on the Thames.

My favored choice would of course be the Colosseum. Perhaps the band agrees to partially fund some sort of renovation of the site, and use the ticket sales and proceeds from live album sales to donate to a charitable fund that the Church would approve of - Salvation Army perhaps?

The following is The Admiral Hook's TL in a post:

The easiest way for this to occur in 1968 is to have the group listen to George Martin and make the White Album a single rather than double LP album.

EDIT: The POD here can be a compromise on the Hey Jude/Revolution single. Lennon records a hybrid of OTL's Revolution and Revolution 1 with some brief Revolution 9 type stuff thrown in during the intro, the solo, and the play-out. Lennon also keeps the "Out... In" part in but there's another "out..." still audible before the chorus. The result is both the most interesting and the most accessibly, commercially bizarre version of the song possible and all the Beatles agree that they like it enough to release it with Hey Jude as a double A side.

Now, with 14 of the best White Album tracks released with care (including an extended version of the alt Revolution), less stress in the studio, no interpersonal conflict, and new tracks prepared for their next studio album (some of the less fleshed out White Album stuff but in TTL much better fleshed out, plus OTL's newer Yellow Submarine tracks perhaps?) not to mention some earlier favorites, the band plays the Colosseum for a film by Michael Lindsay-Hogg called Revolution perhaps. Special guests include Eric Clapton, Billy Preston, et al.

The film does well, and even better satisfies the contract with United Artists. The live album nearly outsells the White Album.

After a brief vacation, the group returns to the studio excited to record an LP of the rejected White Album songs and the newer songs that in OTL became much of Let It Be.

Now, here let's take them down a peg. The White Album was a commercial and critical success TTL, surpassing even the successes of Sgt. Pepper. Not to mention they followed it by actually playing live again and playing extremely well at that. The live album, the film, and the Beatles careers and relationships in general are all far surpassing OTL.

So when they get into the studio for their next album in early 1969 (right around the film's release) they're still working with George Martin and Geoff Emerick (and bring in Glyn Johns to co-produce and co-engineer although his role is clearly defined TTL as subservient and assistant to Martin and Emerick), but are no longer willing to restrain themselves.

The followup to the single LP known as the White Album, will be the ill conceived double album Get Back.

The worst songs from OTL's White Album are the best songs on this record. The rest is essentially OTL's Let It Be; like a jam session marking both the group's return to hard rock, and the band's first truly explosive interpersonal conflicts. Even worse than OTL. Martin, Emerick, and Johns all three quit and the Beatles send it off to be mixed by Spector during his darkest and least focused period to date.

The album is released in the early summer of '69 and is of course successful, but it is less successful than previous releases and is released to critically mixed reviews.

Seeing that in 1969 their strength seemed to be performing live and not recording they decide to tour once more, film the entire drama (perhaps for a television mini-series) and hope for the best when they return to the studio for a follow-up (and hopefully a come back).

The tour opens secretly in a dive bar in Hamburg, Germany and the audience is thrilled. The band then goes to headline Woodstock (which is, obviously, HUGE). They close the festival out either at an enormous free festival show in the North African desert or in the Colosseum in Rome once more. Maybe even on the QEII afloat the Thames.

During their trip they begin reconsidering an earlier proposal to record at Stax Records in Memphis, TN. Getting back to their roots in the city that inspired those roots to begin with. George Martin declines to produce the record as does Emerick and Johns (Spector is not asked). Brian Wilson is asked by McCartney in an attempt to rescue him from his current depression and addiction issues. The band disagrees on Stax but, considering Al Green's success decide instead to record at Royal Studios with Wilson and Willie Mitchell co-producing and co-engineering.

After another brief vacation period, the band along with Billy Preston arrive in Memphis to record Come Together an album featuring guest appearances by Eric Clapton.

With Brian Wilson handling the strings and Willie Mitchell handling the horns, and with Billy Preston on Moog Synthesizer and the famous Al Green Hammond B3 organ the album is considered a post-psychedelic soul-rock masterpiece. It features mostly material similar to OTL's Abbey Road, but with a soul-funk edge that ushers in a wave of post-psychedelic soul-rock embraced by all races.

Once again the Beatles are on a high, but decide unanimously to take a break from recording and performing together while they still like one another.

Come Together is the highest selling and most critically acclaimed record since the White Album, saving Brian Wilson from the depths of depression, addiction, and paranoia (the Beatles all will guest perform on his next project SMiLE released in the early seventies) and Royal Studios becomes the new Stax in Memphis, with both Mitchell and Wilson receiving Grammys.

The band reunites briefly for one final album with George Martin entitled Everest which will contain mostly material from the individual members OTL first solo albums. While well received commercially and critically, it is clear that it is the Beatles' swan song.

The group disbands on good terms and will of course eventually reunite in the late seventies and early eighties.

Boy, that was longer than I intended...

Last edited:
In the order in which they appeared on the White Album the following songs would be available on September 1st 1968 if I remember correctly

Back in the USSR
Dear Prudence
Obladi Oblada
Blackbird
Rocky Racoon
Don't Pass Me By
Yer Blues
Mother Nature's Son
Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except for Me and My Monkey
Sexy Sadie
Revolution 1
Cry Baby Cry
Revolution 9
Good Night

The only Harrison song that was passed the demo stage at that point, if I recall correctly, was Not Guilty, which did not make it on the double album anyway. Though perhaps they could have made due with an acoustic version of WMGGW.

A couple of questions for TheInfiniteApe
How would Preston become involved here given he became involved with the Beatles only after Harrison invited him in in 1969 after his temporary departure? For that matter since a single album decision presumably butterflies the WMGGW session and Clapton's involvement with Harrison and Lennon, how does he end up playing with the Beatles?

Also Harrison and Lennon from what I know loathed the idea of a tour, which is distinct from a single performance. Even when they were enthusiatic about doing a single performance. So I am not sure they would ever have gone along with McCartney's surprise tour idea. Indeed, I could easily see Harrison walking over that. Even if Get Back is a disaster and the band really enjoys their live performance, Harrison seems to have had a "never again" mentality regarding a tour.

It's an interesting premise, but I remain slightly confused on those two points.

A couple of questions for TheInfiniteApe
How would Preston become involved here given he became involved with the Beatles only after Harrison invited him in in 1969 after his temporary departure? For that matter since a single album decision presumably butterflies the WMGGW session and Clapton's involvement with Harrison and Lennon, how does he end up playing with the Beatles?

Also Harrison and Lennon from what I know loathed the idea of a tour, which is distinct from a single performance. Even when they were enthusiatic about doing a single performance. So I am not sure they would ever have gone along with McCartney's surprise tour idea. Indeed, I could easily see Harrison walking over that. Even if Get Back is a disaster and the band really enjoys their live performance, Harrison seems to have had a "never again" mentality regarding a tour.

It's an interesting premise, but I remain slightly confused on those two points.

I'm glad you asked!

Preston's relationship with the Beatles predates the invitation to the Get Back sessions. In fact, it very nearly predates Beatlemania.

The Beatles met and befriended Preston when Preston was playing for Little Richard and the two played some shows together early in the band's career.

The Beatles and Clapton knew one another and were friends before WMGGW as well, but I was taking the view that the single album would not necessarily butterfly some collaboration around this time (after all, Clapton played guitar for Lennon at the Rock and Roll Circus and I believe that was in December of '68).

Lennon and Harrison were both far more open to the idea of performing live in '68 than they were only a year before and a year after. With the success of the Colosseum show in late '68 the two are in TTL completely sold on one final tour, as long as it was not too strenuous.

Actually, in OTL, Lennon was nearly sold on performing at Woodstock iirc, and while Harrison was less so, later projects illustrate he was not completely unwilling to tour, just unwilling to become so exhausted while doing it.

EDIT: How do you like the rest?

Thank you for the Clapton Preston explanation. I still think there's a distinction between touring and doing one off performances, and I do not know how Lennon and Harrison's reservations could be overcome.

If I remember correctly, a number of white album songs were either written or finalized after the sessions began, amounting to at least half an album side, so I think a May 1968 decision to do a single album could easily have led to the loss of those songs, among them Happiness is A Warm Gun, which I think may be Paul McCartney's favorite track on the album, he has said it was the closest thing to a Beatles track on it. If the Beatles make such a decision early enough I think the resulting record would sound different than if they made the decision later on when more songs had been fleshed out. As an aside if it did survive, and space was made for it, Happiness is a Warm gun might have made a fantastic contribution to the Abbey Road medley. The dropped Harrison tracks would go absolutely nowhere, so it may be there would not be as many surviving songs cut from "Umbrella" as we might imagine.

As for the account, I liked it. And I hope my nitpicking does not indicate otherwise

Also, did you catch my EDIT with the POD?

I think the divergence is interesting and I would love to hear that version of the song, but while it does take Revolution 1 and 9 away and frees up album space, I don't know if it explains the biggest change, namely the single album idea. The Beatles were talking about a double album in India. I think the only thing that could have convinced them to do otherwise would have been some sort of outside pressure limiting studio time, like their actually picking a third film to do or something like that. You probably need a situation where they agree that they simply can't record a double album and have time to release it in 1968.