AHC WI:Protestant Italy

Any time before 1600,make the Italian Peninsula majority Protestant! Go ahead!

PS:No THIS IS NOT ASB!

We need a very early PoD for this. Perhaps the Italians go Arian at the Fall of Rome but that isn't Protestant. Maybe even a Constantine PoD?!

Sorry. i don't want to seem rude. But why choosing such an obviously impossible alternate history ?

There are a hundred times as much possibility to have the USA or the UK or north and east Germany become or remain catholic as :
- to have Italy or Spain become protestant,
- or to have Saudi Arabia or Iran becoming protestant, jewish or catholic with a POD in 1979.

Sorry. i don't want to seem rude. But why choosing such an obviously impossible alternate history ?

There are a hundred times as much possibility to have the USA or the UK or north and east Germany become or remain catholic as :
- to have Italy or Spain become protestant,
- or to have Saudi Arabia or Iran becoming protestant, jewish or catholic with a POD in 1979.

This is not ASB. Especially since the only restraint is BEFORE 1600, so you can have many PODs that change Italy into a Reformation-loving region.

This is not ASB. Especially since the only restraint is BEFORE 1600, so you can have many PODs that change Italy into a Reformation-loving region.

That's the problem though. Even with the Popes flagrantly breaking their clerical vows, which happened all the time, pre-1600 Italy is fanatically loyal to the Holy See, because the history of the Church begins in Rome.

I suppose you could fracture the Apostles. I seem to recall a disagreement between Peter and Paul over whether or not to preach to the Gentiles.

Last edited:
That's the problem though. Even with the Popes flagrantly breaking their clerical vows, which happened all the time, pre-1600 Italy is fanatically loyal to the Holy See, because the history of the Church begins in Rome.

I suppose you could fracture the Apostles. I seem to recall a disagreement between Peter and Paul over whether or not to preach to the Gentiles.

Exactly this. Unless the POD in in like the 1st century AD, which would butterfly the Protestant Reformation, among other things, I can't see who this is possible. Four countries that would NEVER be majority protestant are Italy, France, Spain and Portugal. And thats a fact.

Maybe a few small breakaway Protestant-minded mini-countries and city states eventually get tolerated under the condition that they don't proselitize and that their rulers are kept on a tight leash ?

There are OTL examples of domestic Italian Catholic heresies/splinter movements and even actual Italian Protestant churches/movements, though they had to face persecution/ostracization until relatively recently.

pre-1600 Italy is fanatically loyal to the Holy See, because the history of the Church begins in Rome.
That's why I suggested keeping the papacy in Avignon, to make the church become un-Italian. Italy would still be a stretch, but if the Avignonese Church is in total collapse, it could possibly lose everything but France.

Actually France did have a large Protestant minority IOTL, and with the right circumstances it's very possible to make France majority Protestant.

No it didn't. 15-20% of the population was Protestant yes, but the majority of those were Nobles, not commoners. The commoners would NEVER accept a Protestant King, nor would the Catholic Nobles. There's a reason that Henri IV had to convert.

No it didn't. 15-20% of the population was Protestant yes, but the majority of those were Nobles, not commoners. The commoners would NEVER accept a Protestant King, nor would the Catholic Nobles. There's a reason that Henri IV had to convert.

How exactly is 20% not a large minority?

And their were many Protestant commoners (a country Frances size can NOT have a population where over 5% of the population are part of the Nobility), indeed large areas of Southern France had local majorities.

Asami

Banned
What if somebody expelled the Papacy from Rome, the Papacy went to Avignon, his influence got so terrible that a bunch of Antipopes popped up, and the Tuscans became hegemon in Central Italy, and went Protestant?

What if somebody expelled the Papacy from Rome, the Papacy went to Avignon, his influence got so terrible that a bunch of Antipopes popped up, and the Tuscans became hegemon in Central Italy, and went Protestant?

It's more likely that their would end-up simply being multiple Popes with a Tuscan backed one ending up the Italian Pope.

How exactly is 20% not a large minority?

And their were many Protestant commoners (a country Frances size can NOT have a population where over 5% of the population are part of the Nobility), indeed large areas of Southern France had local majorities.

True 20% is a large part of the populace, I already conceded that. However, I remember learning in school that there was a much higher percentage of Nobles who were Protestant then commoners who were Protestant. Also I noticed that you didn't depute me when I pointed out Henri IV's conversion was necessary.