AHC: Darkest 1960s Batman TV series possible

The goal of this challenge is to make the 1960s Batman TV series as gritty and Noir as it possibly can be. Your POD can not be before 1945, the end of WW2. So yes, you can possibly do something to butterfly the CMAA's formation in 1954, if you can think of a plausible way to do it.

Probably you should eliminate Hays Codes before Batman TV-series. But I don't know how it could happen.

I don't think the Hays code had much to do with it - considering the subject matter (comic book characters), the show was written for boys between the ages of 6 and 13. It necessarily couldn't have been too dark.

My understanding is that the Adam West Batman series got greenlit because there was a series of Batman short films made in the 1930's, which were incredibly campy by the standards of the 1960's. Somehow they became notable again, and the series was created to capitalize on their renewed popularity.

In summary, campiness was literally the West Batman series' raison d'etre.

Mike Stearns said:
You really need a Gene Roddenberry for this to work...
There is just no conceivable way Gene makes a "dark" Batman series.

What you want are Rod Serling & Harlan Ellison. Ideally, you'd have an Executive Producer who was a fan of GA Bats (pre-Robin).

You couldn't do an "HBO 'Batman'" in the '60s, with him explicitly throwing people off rooves & seeing the splat, but implicitly, yes.

You need to have producers realize there's an audience of Bats fans who've grown up with him, & many who've served in the armed forces, who've seen worse than anything TV will allow. So, think "EC Batman".

There is just no conceivable way Gene makes a "dark" Batman series.

I'm not suggesting that he would, although his take on Batman would probably be interesting, I was thinking more of how he used Star Trek to speak to the issues of the day. The sci-fi veneer allowed him to say things that couldn't be said in any other way.

Last edited:
Mike Stearns said:
I was thinking more of how he used Star Trek to speak to the issues of the day.
Very true. I'd say Serling could do that, too, as producer. (As writer, he seemed less inclined toward it.)

Maybe it's a matter of who's selecting the scripts, which isn't the Exec Producer's job AIUI. So who's the line producer? Or Script Executive?