AHC: Save the Legend of the Lone Ranger (1981)

In 1981, the film company ITC released The Legend of the Lone Ranger (1981) which starred Klinton Spilsbury as the Lone Ranger (with his voice dubbed by James Keach).

However, in part because ITC had filed a lawsuit against the original Lone Ranger, Clayton Moore, that forced him to stop wearing his mask (he wore Lone Ranger-shaped sunglasses) the film flopped at the box office.

So, how do we save Legend of the Lone Ranger? Not suing Clayton Moore, for starters, would be a good idea (Tvtropes.org has stated that it would have won a Razzie for Worst Publicity by a unanimous vote had the category existed).

Have James Keach as the Ranger instead of Spilsbury. Keach has since gone on to have a career including various westerns whereas Spilsbury has long since vanished.

Cast Jeff Bridges for the Ranger and Graham Greene as Tonto. Don't try to make Tonto a Sacred Clown (he's either an Apache or a Navajo anyway, not a Tano, Hopi, or Zuni). Possibly put Christopher Cain in the director's chair.

This probably means that either Starman or Tron will have significant butterflies, possibly causing Kevin Costner to be cast in one or both of these roles.

Glen

Clayton Moore must be embraced, not ostracized, that is clear. I would even recommend some sort of role in the film (perhaps at the end or after the credits, we see him as the now aged Lone Ranger, waving to the audience and calling "Hi ho, Silver, as he rides into the sunset."). If Clayton Moore gave his stamp of approval to the film, it would unleash all a wave of nostalgic parents and grandparents who would want to take the kids to see it.

Spilsbury must never be seen or heard from, ever. Have to have someone better, much better.

Glen

Have James Keach as the Ranger instead of Spilsbury. Keach has since gone on to have a career including various westerns whereas Spilsbury has long since vanished.

That might be acceptable. It would certainly be a minimalist change since he did the voice over for the role, and hopefully it wouldn't be as wooden with him actually playing the role.

Cast Jeff Bridges for the Ranger

He would be good overall, though I have another actor in mind....

Tommy Lee Jones!

and Graham Greene as Tonto. Don't try to make Tonto a Sacred Clown (he's either an Apache or a Navajo anyway, not a Tano, Hopi, or Zuni).

Graham Greene would not be a bad choice, certainly. However, by everything I could find the actor who played Tonto wasn't bad, so maybe just keep him there.

Possibly put Christopher Cain in the director's chair.

Looks too early for that. The original director was certainly a good eye as a cinematographer, but do we need another director?

This probably means that either Starman or Tron will have significant butterflies, possibly causing Kevin Costner to be cast in one or both of these roles.

Maybe, maybe not.

Looks too early for that. The original director was certainly a good eye as a cinematographer, but do we need another director?

Robert Zemeckis? Maybe George Lucas is totally burned out by Ep. V, which wouldn't be that hard to arrange, as he nearly had a nervous breakdown directing Star Wars. That puts Raiders on hold for awhile. Spielberg is looking for a project and directs Zemeckis' Back to the Future script. Zemeckis is look for a project and directs The Lone Ranger.

Glen

Robert Zemeckis?

Maybe - he probably would be available in the right time period.

Maybe George Lucas is totally burned out by Ep. V, which wouldn't be that hard to arrange, as he nearly had a nervous breakdown directing Star Wars.

True, but what does that have to do with it?:confused:

That puts Raiders on hold for awhile. Spielberg is looking for a project and directs Zemeckis' Back to the Future script. Zemeckis is look for a project and directs The Lone Ranger.

Ah, I see, to shuffle them. But Back to the Future wasn't released until 1985; surely this is shuffle is unnecessary to have Zemeckis direct the 1981 released Legend of the Lone Ranger....

Ah, I see, to shuffle them. But Back to the Future wasn't released until 1985; surely this is shuffle is unnecessary to have Zemeckis direct the 1981 released Legend of the Lone Ranger....

No, but development for BTTF began in 1980, and Spielberg was initially absent from the writing process because he produced two previous Zemeckis movies which had both bombed, so Raiders is hold because of George Lucas and Spielberg is looking something to do and decides that he wants to direct Back to the Future, which leaves Zemeckis free to direct The Lone Ranger. Given that pretty much anything that Spielberg touches at this point turns to gold nobody involved in the production will have a problem with Spielberg directing BTTF. Spielberg is also known for being extremely effiecient. That possibly that BTTF is released in 1983/84 instead of 1985.

Last edited:

Glen

No, but development for BTTF began in 1980, and Spielberg was initially absent from the writing process because he produced two previous Zemeckis movies which had both bombed, so Raiders is hold because of George Lucas and Spielberg is looking something to do and decides that he wants to direct Back to the Future, which leaves Zemeckis free to direct The Lone Ranger. Given that pretty much anything that Spielberg touches at this point turns to gold nobody involved in the production will have a problem with Spielberg directing BTTF. Spielberg is also known for being extremely effiecient. That possibly that BTTF is released in 1983/84 instead of 1985.

Fair enough.

Anyway, I just skimmed through Legend of the Lone Ranger, as well as the origin story from the Clayton Moore series. First, Legend wasn't that bad (it wasn't great, but wasn't that bad). Second, the movie's ambush and subsequent reunion of Reid and Tonto is surprisingly close to the Moore/Silverheels version. Third, the movie narrator is probably an emulation of the old style narration actually seen in that origin story episode - it was surprisingly effective in the old black and white one hour series, but doesn't fit in an 80s movie. One of the problems with Legend is that it takes too long to get to the ambush scene. The stuff beforehand isn't bad, but it isn't what people would be coming to see. Christepher Lloyd is criminally underused in the movie, and his role needs to be expanded (appropriate as the Lone Ranger's nemesis). Also, while it may be true to form, they really should have cleaned up President Grant's dialogue - this is for children too!

While it is in a sense incredibly hokey, it also still sends chills down my spine, and so I share with you all the Lone Ranger Song (the one that tells his origin story), followed by the William Tell Overture. the Overture works well in the television series, but it seemed to be mis-deployed during the Legend scenes (also I don't think I like the movie's arrangement of it - needs less tin, more depth). The William Tell Overture, again, should be used, but only for the most appropriate of scenes, and for the opening and/or closing credits.

Lets get a real Native for Tonto. If the original can do it, we blasted well ought to be able to do it at this point.

As for the current version, Johnny Depp!?!?

Edit: oh, Graham Greene IS native. Sorry.