WI: 80s Batman Comedy Film

Status
Not open for further replies.
The story of Batman in 1989 is one of victory and success. In 1966, Batman came to television and unleashed upon the world a Batmania. However, Batman on TV wasn't Batman. The Batman in the comics had become, relative to the concept, serious by 1964 in reaction to declining sales of the whacky 50s Batman, and grew increasingly serious and realism focused throughout the 60s and ever since. The Batman of television was more at home with the 50s Batman, and more than that, it was a self-aware parody of the comic books, playing up what came to be known as "camp". For all it's merits as that, and for what it did for Batman comic book sales, it burned into the popular consciousness the idea that Batman was silly and whacky, and that comic books in general were that, and that it was all *Biff!* and *Pow!*.

For a Batman fan, the fact that the average person thought that mocking of Batman and comics was how things were and thought of the character in those terms was heartbreaking. Such was the case with a young boy named Michael Uslan, who pledged one day that he would make sure the world saw Batman as the Batman he knew. And that happened. Uslan grew up to teach a course on comics as modern myth, and subsequently worked to become a producer and make the money to bring Batman to the film screen, and he secured the rights for a Batman film from DC.
One of the biggest problems was a studio would not pick it up for various reasons, some of which related to what the 60s Batman was. It took until the late 80s for a studio to finally sign on, for it to go into production, and to be released. It was a major success and a major culture phenomenon, and did a lot to remove the Adam West perception from Batman and comic books.

I set that up to say this: one of the big fears during the whole process of trying to get a film was that the studio would make a comedy film out of it like the 60s show. That was a huge fear for Batman fans, so much so that when Michael Keaton was signed on, it sent a chill because Keaton was a comedy star and everyone thought at first that meant it was going to be a parody like the 60s show. And I have heard things where studios and people involved did propose a comedy like film. I've heard things like Bill Murray as Batman and Eddie Murphy as Robin as a proposal. Had that happened, I'm sure it would have had the prospects of being a good comedy and a success. It would also have been a heart shattering disappointment behind the scenes for Michael Uslan and all those people who worked hard to get comic books respect, and a respect that the very mature versions of the comics that had come by the late 1980s deserved. It would covertly be a dystopia.

What if a Batman film had come out in the 80s which was a comedy?

I would have hunted down everyone involved with it and killed them.

I dunno, if it was done in the same vein as, say, Ghostbusters or Back to the Future, with someone like John Landis or Ivan Reitman directing, it could actually be really good.

I dunno, if it was done in the same vein as, say, Ghostbusters or Back to the Future, with someone like John Landis or Ivan Reitman directing, it could actually be really good.
I still would have been very disappointed having grown up hating the TV show and loving the comic book.
Still you make a good point under the right hands it could be a good film but I probably wouldn't have been able to enjoy it.
I'm that stubborn of a sod.

It might still be a success to the comic book gek.

Look how very 'comic book' the entire Marvel Cineverse is, and yet its also quite funny with all the snarking going on.

I still would have been very disappointed having grown up hating the TV show and loving the comic book.
Still you make a good point under the right hands it could be a good film but I probably wouldn't have been able to enjoy it.
I'm that stubborn of a sod.

I like the 60s Batman, but I understand that it was like a cultural molestation. It was a major phenomenon and introduced Batman to a larger public, whilst imbuing the public with the idea that superheroes were campy, *biff* *pow* silliness and making them laugh at Batman. And it took ungodly long to shake that, and even today it isn't totally shaken.

Maybe if I was around before the Burton film when Batman, to the general public, still was only viewed as the campy silliness, I would be more turned off to it.

It might still be a success to the comic book gek.

Look how very 'comic book' the entire Marvel Cineverse is, and yet its also quite funny with all the snarking going on.

(Most) Marvel heroes have always been throwing out one-liners, even in the comic books. Maybe not so much as in the movies, but spider-man, for example, almost always was making quips even when going up against intergalactic threats.

I agree. There was a discussion not too long ago about alternate casting for the Joker in Tim Burton's Batman. One of the names that was floated was Robin Williams. I could actually see that working very well. Jack Nicholson was more a criminal businessman in clown make-up, but Robin Williams, I think would a bit more a long the lines of Heath Ledger, in that he's a clown with a VERY twisted sense of humour. It might actually be a really funny black comedy.

Heavy

Banned
I like the 1960s series but obviously its particular comedic style wouldn't really work unless they kept the same aesthetic, which I can't really imagine happening in 1989. However, I'd certainly be up for the superhero version of Beetlejuice.

I like the 1960s series but obviously its particular comedic style wouldn't really work unless they kept the same aesthetic, which I can't really imagine happening in 1989. However, I'd certainly be up for the superhero version of Beetlejuice.

It wouldn't be dark Burton humor if it was a comedy. If it was a comedy, it would be playing into the idea of Batman as something to not be taken seriously. Not something which would be made serious, but in a demented way that is humorous. It's probably be closer to Ghostbusters or Coming to America or something.

I agree. There was a discussion not too long ago about alternate casting for the Joker in Tim Burton's Batman. One of the names that was floated was Robin Williams. I could actually see that working very well. Jack Nicholson was more a criminal businessman in clown make-up, but Robin Williams, I think would a bit more a long the lines of Heath Ledger, in that he's a clown with a VERY twisted sense of humour. It might actually be a really funny black comedy.

A lot of people were hoping it would be Mark Hammil instead of Heath Ledger as he was the Joker in BTAS and Justice League.

I always thought Jim Carry might have made a good Joker, physically speaking he's got the height and lankiness, he's also got the long chin and big grin. He's got the comedic chops but I'm not sure if he could play the part dark enough. Plus I believe he was a nobody at the time.
As for Nicholson he was just too short and stocky in my opinion to play the Joker.

I always thought Jim Carry might have made a good Joker, physically speaking he's got the height and lankiness, he's also got the long chin and big grin. He's got the comedic chops but I'm not sure if he could play the part dark enough. Plus I believe he was a nobody at the time.
As for Nicholson he was just too short and stocky in my opinion to play the Joker.

Well, he should have been right for the Riddler too, and look how THAT turned out.

I also had the thought that there would be a strong, strong prospect for Adam West and possibly Burt Ward to make cameos or star in some role in a comedy adaptation. OTL, that would not happen in a million years, since the film was trying to get away from the 60s show like it was a giant dead bug in a swimming pool. This TL, it'll be embracing the comedic aspects instead, hence a bridge to the past which was burned in the OTL could be possible. There could also be easter eggs dropped into the background and call backs to the 60s show throughout the film.

Which is why didn't work....

Well the overall reason it didn't work is that Joel Schumacher was handling Batman. And we've learned since you cannot allow that, as bad things happen.

I don't think it didn't work, to be honest, but something different should have been done in retrospect. And it was, because in the original cut the film was much more serious and darker. It was made lighter in tone via editing. The darker cut, closer to the Burton duology, has not yet been released. Not to say Jim Carry wasn't playing the giddy Riddler, but in the original cut, that was subverted because he was a nut job. In the jewlery store scene, for instance, where it cuts in the the film, the original cut had it where he and Two Face beat the man after (or whatever it was).
Another problem for all the films after the 1989 film was that they really wanted every villain to be the Joker. The Penguin gets a Joker's gang, Two Face and Riddler get Joker characteristics, etc. That did not work.

Regardless, this is a comedy film. A Frank Gorshin version of the Riddler could work.

I agree with Emperor Norton I that a Bill Murray/Eddie Murphy-led Batman in the 1980s would have almost certainly been a smash hit, unless a series of truly awful events were set in motion around it.

That being said, I don't think a callout to the 1960s-era Batman would wind up being comparable to Ghostbusters at all. Remember that Ghostbusters, on the primary level, actually took itself seriously. The nuclear accelerators, the ghost traps, the containment grid all actually worked; there really were ghosts loose in New York City, and so on. The whole first scene of the movie -- where Venkman is shocking the guy with real ESP powers and rewarding the hot girl who's just guessing -- only works if the movie is taking itself seriously.

I guess what I'm saying is that those characteristics aren't a call-back to the 1960s-era Batman TV show; if you want something that's similar, my guess would be you're looking at something like OTL's Naked Gun series of movies. O.J. Simpson would be optional, obviously. Or perhaps something like Spaceballs; those are movies where the entire cast is also "in on the joke," in the same way that West was in the 1960s.

Status
Not open for further replies.