Countries that could have successfully united but didn't

Just what it says. Lots of countries have formed successful long term or permenant political unions without outright conquest. Does anyone have any thoughts on countries that this could have worked for that never united IOTL?

I'll start by saying Spain and Portugal, considering that the former was already a successful fusion of Castile and Aragon and that they were sporadically united at different times in OTL.

The Scandinavian countries are one example.

A Polish-Hungarian union is probably another.

The Netherlands might never has separated from the Holy Roman Empire and thus be part of Germany.

Belgium could be part of France.

Bulgaria could have united with Macedonia.

A Baltic Duchy might have joined all three Baltic states.

If the British conquered Afghanistan, that country might have become part of Pakistan.

Various Arab countries in the Middle East might have joined given a different aftermath of WWII. Jordan and/or Syria (or parts of it) might have been part of a Hashemite kingdom with Arabia. Kuwait could be part of Iraq.

The Scandinavian countries are one example.

A Polish-Hungarian union is probably another.

The Netherlands might never has separated from the Holy Roman Empire and thus be part of Germany.

Belgium could be part of France.

Bulgaria could have united with Macedonia.

A Baltic Duchy might have joined all three Baltic states.

If the British conquered Afghanistan, that country might have become part of Pakistan.

Various Arab countries in the Middle East might have joined given a different aftermath of WWII. Jordan and/or Syria (or parts of it) might have been part of a Hashemite kingdom with Arabia. Kuwait could be part of Iraq.

Luxembourg and Austria might have been part of Germany.

Andorra could have been part of either Spain or France.

The Central American countries (between Mexico and Panama) could have united (IIRC, they were for a while), if not for their division by colonial powers.

Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia probably could have stayed together as a united Indochina.

I don't know how plausible this is, but a Danish-German union could have happened.

Does keeping New Guinea undivided count?

Keeping Grand Colombia united would be great.

Haiti and the Dominican Republic could have been one nation.

Nambia and South Africa could have stayed together.

Chile could, with the right POD, unite Argentina.

Brazil could have kept Uruguay and Paraguay

Peru and Bolivia
Australia and New Zealand
Egypt and Sudan
Spain and France
Britain and France
Britain and The Netherlands
Bulgaria and Yugoslavia
Canada and Jamaica and other British and former British Caribbean islands
India and Nepal
Romania and Moldova

OT: Woo, 100 posts!

Not to be a spoilsport, but I'm not sure if this thread belongs in pre-1900.

Why not? Many these countries needs pre-1900 POD.

But another changes:

Finland + Estonia

Morocco + Algeria + Tunisia

Perhaps with good POD Poland and Czhechoslovakia.

Had the 1863 Congress of Princes come off, or had Austria won at Koniggratz, then Germany and the Habsburg Empire could have ended up as one country.

Scotland and Ireland.

In OTL, the effort of Robert Bruce to send his brother down to Ireland to 'liberate' it proved to be a complete disaster; largely because his brother was a fool who caused more problems than he solved, and his eventual fall in battle was marked, by the chronicals, as "the greatest day in Ireland."

But, with a compitent politican and battle leader, things could have turned out much differently. Get an alt-Bruce to actually unite the Irish lords and drive the English king out of the pale, and you would have an interesting ATL to say the least :)

Scotland and Ireland.

In OTL, the effort of Robert Bruce to send his brother down to Ireland to 'liberate' it proved to be a complete disaster; largely because his brother was a fool who caused more problems than he solved, and his eventual fall in battle was marked, by the chronicals, as "the greatest day in Ireland."

But, with a compitent politican and battle leader, things could have turned out much differently. Get an alt-Bruce to actually unite the Irish lords and drive the English king out of the pale, and you would have an interesting ATL to say the least :)
It wouldn't have lasted for more than a generation or two, because the Irish lords were too fractious and Scotland couldn't have comitted enough forces to keep them in line. Look how little success England, with greater resources, had during that period...

It wouldn't have lasted for more than a generation or two, because the Irish lords were too fractious and Scotland couldn't have comitted enough forces to keep them in line. Look how little success England, with greater resources, had during that period...

Aw, come on, I just want to throw my Graduate School training out the window and be a Romantic for a second ;)

Honestly, very true, though. Although I could see the Scots being able to keep control of Ulster, which would have had some important, and interesting, ramifications.

So, lets do this:

*Edmund Bruce manages to unite the Irish and Norman Lords against the throne of England. Eventually, after a struggle, the Kingdom of Ireland is declared, subserviant to the throne of Scotland.

With the death of Edmund, the Kingdom begins to unravel; the Scots are forced to send resources down there and, over time, it just becomes too much; much of Ireland descends into anarchy. And yet, the Scots are able to maintain control of Ulster and the city of Dublin.

How does this effect the development of both nations, as well as England (with England's claims in France, I doubt they will be exerting much effort to really make good on any weak claims they have left in Ireland, and may well wish the Scots the "best of luck" in dealing with that backwater).

Let the Scots have Ulster, and maybe even add Connaught to it (at least in theory) as well, but I think that the English would have held on to Dublin and the south-east.

the duchy of burgundy could have stayed together and have combined with the rest of the low countries

or going further back, the duchy of Lotharingia could have persisted
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotharingia

363px-Lotharingia-959.svg.png

Last edited:
the duchy of burgundy could have stayed together and have combined with the rest of the low countries
Following a victory for Charles the Bold at Nancy,and the long-term inclusion of Lorraine into Burgundian domains as a link between Burgundy proper and the low countries?

Ireland and Wales. The window of opportunity is in the 5th century. I'll settle for Leinster and Dyfed.

Scotland and Norway. If the Maid of Norway, or her hypothetical brother, inherits both and survives.