Collaborative World Project

Inspired the a remark by B_Munro, and further discussion by others in the Map Thread, I have decided to start an ambitious project: The construction of a fictional world from the ground up through the works of many people.

To get around the pitfalls others have fall into, the basic rules will be these, for now:

1. The world will be mostly mundane, and similar to Earth, with only a few fantastical elements if they don't pull away from the general idea.

2. Rather than claiming turns, topics will be brought up and discussed, with ideas being proposed and drafts being made until there is a consensus.

3. It will be built from the ground up, starting with geography and ecology, going to the start of history, and then going through history until we reach a point we want to declare the present. Details can be added when we reach this point.

These may be change at a later time.

The first topic of discussion will be what the continents should be, ranging from a central Pangaea to large islands dotting the world.

Last edited:
I am excited to work on this. I think we should have a large continent, divided into three megapeninsulas (Europe Sized), with a few large island continents and archipelagos dotting the globe.

I am in. I think that we should have an enormous canyon deeper than the dead see with a huge river running through it that ends in an inland sea.

I am in. I think that we should have an enormous canyon deeper than the dead see with a huge river running through it that ends in an inland sea.
What about if there are giant mountains (rocky mountain size) on each side, so civilization has to start on a long 75 mile wide stretch around a river, and only when there is advanced technology can crossing them become feasible.

What about if there are giant mountains (rocky mountain size) on each side, so civilization has to start on a long 75 mile wide stretch around a river, and only when there is advanced technology can crossing them become feasible.

I like that idea. But we should have humans migrate into that area prior to its being shut off from the outside world so that civilization can arise twice in isolation of each other.

Just a quick concept of what I was suggesting.

upk.png

I am enjoying that there are people who want to join in, so you should propose your own ideas for what the continents should be!

And Here is an Empty BAM:

I'm not entirely down with the "one continent" idea. I think there should be at least two continents, because only having a "Pangaea" would drastically limit the potential diversity of cultures (unless divided up by some other nigh-impassable geographical feature, like the Himalayas) and stifle the possibility of an "Age of Exploration."

If it's not too much, I'd like to chime in some.

Personally, I think it'd be interesting to see an archipelago consisting of several good-sized islands and whole bunch of little ones (think something similar to Indonesia) snugly situated between two roughly Australia-sized continents.

I'm not entirely down with the "one continent" idea. I think there should be at least two continents, because only having a "Pangaea" would drastically limit the potential diversity of cultures (unless divided up by some other nigh-impassable geographical feature, like the Himalayas) and stifle the possibility of an "Age of Exploration."

This
I think one mega content (which will likely be our 'old world) and one or two smaller ones isolated by oceans would be cool