Japanese economy keeps growing

okay this is my first attempt at a timeline and its going to be basic.

in the mid 1980's as Japans bubble economy continues to grow, several ministers raise concerns about Japans banking system, a commitee advises the Diet that reforms need to be made. eventually the goverment is able to get such reforms passed.

The Japanese economy continues to grow along with Japanese pride in their achivements. Japan tries but fails to aquire an aircraft carrier, however some raise doubts about Japans 'checkbook' diplomacy.

ambituous (prehaps too ambituous plans are also made for the japanese space program involving first a netowork of satellites including a manned orbital platform- followed over time by space stations, space planes and in the early years of the 21st century industrial space factories in low earth orbit- to be followed by manned and unmanned trips to the moon and mars

(sounds excessive yes- but i think thats what they were really planning during the 80's and i'd like to try a japan is a sort of superpower timeline) even if it is outlandish.)

in the early 1990's japans bubble economy doesnt bust- thanks to the reforms- instead eventually things calmed down and became more manageable, Japans economy continues to grow at a high rate. continuing to cause concerns in the west.

1991- Gulf War Japan contributes great amounts of financial aid as OTL due to US-Japan partnership. due to Japans great wealth certain politicans come to believe Japan may need to take a more active role in world affairs, especially where resources are at stake.
more money is given to the Japanese space program. Japanese investors continue buying up expensive western properties etc.

1993. given the threat of both china and NK, as well as the fact that Japan is an economic and technological superpower. the government decides to increase defense spending. Japan with help from america embarks on its satellite building program and begins research (sometimes in co-ordination with america) for the later stages of thier space plan.

as japans economic power grows, so does interest in japanese culture, anime, manga and japanimation continues to grow in popularity.
some schools in the US, UK, Australia and France begin offering japanese language lessons and their are calls for it to be on the curriculum.

Japan also contines to try and diversify as well as encourage innovation, attempting to emulate the US's new high tech industries- new science parks are built and places like Tsukuba Science city are expanded. attempts are made to encourage individual entrepenaurship starting with students. this leads to a less strict and competitve education system although education and hard work are still extolled.

The Japanese government manages to get US support for a japanese remarmanent program by promising to use their power in support of america, this would also reduce the need for an american presence in the region.

while they contruct a bigger space centre- the japanese use nasa and esa facilties to lauch their satellites and rockets- development of their next plans are coming along.

the defence budget is increased and the SDF begins buying weapons from abroad- at the moment it still looks like 'just a stronger defence force' to a still pacifict sentiments within japan. this however is slowly changing due to a belief that a richer japan- second only to the US must have a positive voice in the world.

(how does this look, i'm sorry that there is'nt a proper POD and it's all quite basic, i'm really having trouble finding proper research for my threads, i also was'nt planning this for long)

but anyway- is this possible or not- any changes i should make?

part 2

1994- the japanese SDF rearms with american, french and british weapons.
the Japanese government in co-ordination with private firms along with US provided information ramps up its own weapons R+D programs.

the japanese navy begins sending patrols to the south china sea and sinagapore straits in anti priracy operations (i dont know if they do in OTL).
and excerises with US and five power agreement forces.

the improved japanese space centre is completed. Japan also begins a carrier program to create two aircraft carriers with US technical assistance.

various asian countries express alarm at Japans military buildup. North Korean dictator Kim Jung Ill (i hope i got that right) declares that japan is aiming to reconquer Korea and calls for reunification (under northern ideals) he gets no reply. his words are used to emphasise the threat he is by the japanese government and to justify the transformation of japans military.

1995- Japan now has a fair satellite network, the Kobe earthquake shakes the countries confidence and leads to new measures designed to prevent earthquake deaths.

a capsule is sent up with a japanese astronaut- the first time a japanese man has gone up in space on a japanese space craft- the event initiates a wave of patriotism and support for the space program and cements the beleif that japan is final a great power again- just the sort of thing the country needs after the shock of a major earthquake and the Tokyo subway attack.

Japan continues to prosper although the first manned mission was a major effort and the space program needs some rest- however the mission has led to renewed fears that japan is only a couple of decades from taking over the world by stealth and the US + europe seek to increase their space programs and economic growth- although the fear that japan will overtake the US is very unlikely.

1996- with japan on the rise, china wonders how tough they are and sends naval vessels increasingly close to japanese waters. the japanese naval forces follow them making sure they know they're watching them. reports of this increases support for increased military spending and with US approval the japanese constitution is changed to allow a proper military (i know thats a handwave, but it's all i can do right now).

a japanese english language 24 hr satellite news channel is launched for world audiences reflecting the continued interest in japanese culture.
events are held in various nations highlighting japanese culture and life.
tourism to japan is also promoted in order to encorage foreigners to have more exposure to japan.

1997- the space problem in japan leads to efforts made to produce more places along the lines of Roppongi Towers (a high rise living which also has recreational and other uses etc)
several mega projects are also considered to solve this problem.

the construction of the japanese space station begins. it has been scaled down due to cost. Japan does however manage to gain an increasing share of the commercial satellite market. realising that a manned moon mission might be too expensive they put forward a proposal to the US and EU for a joint manned moon mission. meanwhile a public debate begins about whether japan should develop nuclear weapons. the US and Japan also begin development on a missile defence program for their countries.

1998- due to an overcrowded subway- the tokyo area begins work on a maglev system for commuters- it emphasisies japans technolgical advancement the way that the bullet train did in the past.

the carrier program is coming along however since such things take time the US sells one to japan so they can familarise themselves with carrier operations. the Japanese defence industry is also increasing and may in time become a major weapons exporter.

1999- tests begin on the japanese space plane- it is small, as japan does'nt make big aircraft although that is changing and this is considered as a first try- the US is having a slightly easier time and the two nations exchange information.

is what i say rubbish or could it happen. i know the original POD is'nt very detailed but i could'nt find any info and wanted to try a timeline so.
even if the japanese economy keeps growing could it do what it does in TTL.
please tell me what you think.

reply straha

thanks for replying- yeah greater interest in japanese culture and an earlier anime boom is something i'd like to see happen.

Darkest

Banned
This is fairly interesting... certainly if the Japanese could stay strong we would see some earlier technological advancements. 2006 technology by 1996 - 2000 is very probable, though that doesn't seem like much.

Do you think there could be a racism issue in the USA, with the Japanese coming out with new toys before America? The right politician could start spreading anti-Japanese rhetoric amongst select groups, which might be bad.

I wonder if the stronger Japanese economy would simultaneously aid the other Asian Tigers, and lend to a stronger China, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia...

I'll come up with some more suggestions later.

2000- construction of the Japanese space station, now with partners from various other pacific rim countries to share the financial burden continues.
In Japan itself regeneration programs are launched in cities to reduce overcrowding and increase the number of green areas is launched. Tokyo Sky City a 'mega project' basically consisting of a vertical city capapble of housing 100,000 people is begun.

(Tokyo Sky City is a real proposal, unfortuantly i seem to be having trouble provding links right now:eek: )

another proposal which passes by a close margin is devloped which will fill in the central section of Tokyo Bay in order to create living space for many of the city's inhabitants.(this is also a real and controversial proposal.)

the US unveils the world's first space plane, it has already begun construction on a space station, japan did not join, occupied as it was with it own space station, however work on the japanese space place continues, with is making a proper flight into space.

the japanese navy's first postwar aircraft carrier (the one brough fairly cheaply from the US undertakes courtesy calls as well as patrols of pacific and Indian ocean nations. in many countries anime is now an established part of youth and young adult culture. japanese films especially those with a supernatural storyline start slowly but surely making their way into western cinema's. By now japanese troops are in peacekeeping missions in various parts of the world.

2001, by now with a proper military, japan must decide whether to build nuclear weapons or not- after extensive debate the government chooses minimum deterrent- just enough to keep potential enemies from attacking but not excessive, more like the UK's arsenal. initially from western designs Japan is now beginning to make its own tanks, fighters and ships as well as rockets. the Japanese carrier makes a visit to San Diego, LA and Vancouver. by now various nations have signed or are trying to sign Free Trade deals with Japan (i'm not sure whether this happened in OTL)

japans first home built carrier since wwII is launched.
after 9/11, japan pledges all aid to the US and deploys its carrier group as well as some submarine with cruise missiles to the Indian Ocean for their first taste of combat. along with the US and British they attack taliban forces and then a number of Japanses ground troops join their allies on the ground in afghanistan. Japan's image is greatly enhanced. Japan tries to get resources like oil from more stable places and increase research into clean energy.

2002- the japanese space station is almost ready and recieves visits from the japanese space plane. preparations are underway for a joint US/japanese/european mission to the moon with the intention of setting up a moon base.
a large japanese corporation and the japanese space program begin joint work on the possibility of space factories in earth orbit. Japanese military now conducts frequent excercises with US, british and australian military.
Japan is now widely regarded as the 2nd superpower. Japan increases its carrier building program to 4 as the spinoffs from the space program and military R+D boost the economy.

2003- for various reasons - Japan joins the US invasion of Iraq, albiet on a smaller scale. japanese forces jointly patroll southern Iraq with UK forces and also work to rebuild the country.

a series of terrorist bombs go of in Tokyo, Kobe and Osaka in response to its support for the US, the attacks shock japan and lead to increased security measures.

Japan esclatees its space programs as china sends a Taikonaut into orbit.
now a fleet of space planes are being built, including plans for orbital bombers.

On a state visit to London, under pressure from various qauarters, the emperor apoligises for japanese atrocities during WWII. that same year Japan finally libralises immigration laws and encourages both immigration and a higher birth rate due to fears of a declining population.

the space station is complted. a maglev rail system is under construction between Tokyo and Kobe.

2004 Japanese arms industry becomes a major exporter, new skyscrapers are being built in Tokyo and the 'Sky City' looks set to change the timeline.
the joint manned mission to the moon lands on the moon and plants the various nations flags, US, Japanese, british, french among others and begins work on a moon base.

2005 Japan now looks to expand its orbital infrastructure to a number of stations- some with other partners. a Japanese firm starts looking into commercial space tourism using the space plane.

think i'd better end it there- so was that plausible or ridiculous. it just came off the top of my head- so i dont really know if what i said might come true or not- i just wanted to do a timeline where japan ended up as a sort of superpower- the japanese space plans i found out about on a website, they planned all that during the 80's, Tokyo Sky City is a proposed mega project as is the Tokyo Bay landfill plan- i just thought maybe a super rich japan might go through with them.

thanks Darkest90. yeah the reason i sort of withheld technology in TTL was cause i dont know much myself and thought if i 'rushed things' then it might seem like too much.

i looked it up on wikipedia, there were racial issues in america as well as other countries in the 80's, i suppose it might carry on i TTL.

i never even thought of the other asian tigers- prehaps it would help them, i'll have to look into it.

Darkest

Banned
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_City

Tell you what, birdie, I really like this scenario. The concept intrigues me, and I like the idea of a near-past POD. You mind if I give suggestions, do some research for you, and get this polished up to be sent into the Timelines and Scenarios forum?

As a POD, I advise that perhaps Japan would consent to US suggestions to raise the value of the yen and open up its markets for more US imports. This might cause less growth in the years directly after the POD, from 1985 to 1987, but afterward it could be good for both Japan and the United States, and would keep investors turning to Japan, thus offsetting the stock market crash.

Another advantage for Japan opening up its markets would be that the US might consent to revising Article 9 for more military freedom in the Japanese government.

There will probably be something of a small recession, or at least a period of little growth, anyway in the early 90s. It will be difficult and maybe a little ASBish to remove it entirely. Financial reform could come as well and could help considerably for continuing rapid Japanese growth in the future.

Last edited:

Straha

Banned
birdie said:
reply straha

thanks for replying- yeah greater interest in japanese culture and an earlier anime boom is something i'd like to see happen.
I'd imagine we'd see the japanese internet memes of OTL's last few years or lcose analogues hit internet culture ealrier..

Darkest

Banned
Would you consider adding a few of these events to color your ATL?

1991 - Japanese contributes substantial financial aid to the Gulf War, strengthening international relations, especially with the US. American politicians come to believe that Japan should use its wealth to become more active in world affairs especially in situations where resources are at stake. The events of the Gulf War occur much like OTL, with fewer US casualties and more successes against the Iraqi. A major difference is the creation of an Iraqi Kurdistan by the Bush administration because of promises made to Kurdish leaders preceding their assistance in the war.

1992 - Japanese Aerospace Development Agency (JADA) space agency organized. (Earliest year a unified space program could be formed, in my opinion)

1993 - Turkey and Iran see a more powerful and violent Kurd movement within their territory advocating an expansion of Kurdistan, a movement that includes acts of terrorism around the borders. This is deliberately against the measures set into place by the United States and the United Nations. With election crises prompting civil war, the Arab League pressures the United Nations to dissolve the nation into Iraq or give authority over it to other nations.

1995 - Kurdistan question remains as a controversy. Baghdad under Hussein moves against the area in response to terrorism, and holds the territory, prompting a response from the US-headed coalition force in Operation Second Strike. Japan is a huge benefactor throughout the endeavor. The decision to oust Saddam Hussein is made and he is imprisoned to be tried for war crimes. Japan sends soldiers over to assist in the occupation of Baghdad and abound. The country is to undergo US-directed reforms and the creation of a new democratic constitution.

1998 - Elections fail to diffuse tensions between Shiites and Sunnites, commencing a civil war by religious extremists and nationalists. Major controversy over US administration leads to the souring of US relations and major changes in Washington's composition. Japan remains firm ally.

2000 - The Treaty of Athens is signed between the competing factions of the Iraqi Civil War, leading to the formation of the Democratic People's Republic of Kurdistan, the Islamic Republic of Shiastan and the Republic of Sunnistan. Each country is under an extensive no-fly zone and subject to UN peacekeepers.

Another areas you might want to look at:

During the era of Japanese growth, there were many projections that Japan would eventually usurp the US role in Asia. I recall reading a book in the early 1990's that talked about the US and Japan eventually becoming enemies over the growing Japanese influence in the region.

Japan has enormous financial and political involvement in most of the ASEAN and Oceanic countries, and, without the hiccup of the banking problems, these would be stronger still. Additionally, its aid budget in Africa has made it many firm friends there.

In philosophic areas, it has tended to side with Mahatir's arguments regarding "Asian values" - i.e., that authoritarianism and suppression of some human rights are not necessarily bad things if it brings a more stable and tranquil society. However, it has worked actively with Indonesia to ensure that Australia and New Zealand are not left out of growing regional cooperation and has encouraged both countries to be less idealistic and more pragmatic in their foreign policy.

thanks for the feedback everyone- yes Darkest90, if you want to do that thejn that would be helpful. i like the POD. I might be busy the next couple of days so i'm not sure how much time i'll have to add more to TTL.

i'm not sure exactly whether what happens in japan would or not but i like it. i mean i could see a wealthier japan going to such measures to solve their space problems- maglevs: i think there are plans for that in japan, they also would be better for earthquakes i think. this is due to the japanese love of technology and to show off prehaps.

there probably would be a small period of little growth.

i'll need to look at the asian tigers and see what might happen.

regarding china- maybe some people would think they might be a sino-japanese war howerver japan and china would depend on each other's trade too much i think. maybe strong words but nothing more.

a US-japan cold or chilly war, interesting possibility. yes if US sees japan as a threat to their commercial interests as well as attempts by Japan to secure its own oil and other resources.

the terrorism i made up just cause i was running out of ideas and if japan was more involved in the war on terror.....

There are certain things like large aircraft and satellites in which OTL Japan is at least relativly deficient. I just thought they might start experimenting in TTL and maybe become a major player.

the education reforms to encourage more independance- i dont know, just thought it couldnt hurt + i kinda feel sorry for japanese kids.

I was going to have the space program proceed faster- but decided it probably would'nt. I mean japan would still have fairly limited resources and the POD is fairly recent.

does anyone think i just handwaved japans military increase?

reply LachyS. yeah i could see japan developing greater influence in the developing world- prehaps especially where's there's resources japan might need.

NapoleonXIV

Banned
Very interesting and well thought out Timeline. Had Japan developed internal markets better her economy might very well have kept on growing.

I agree you've handwaved the military increase just a little. You have two very expensive programs here. In space, satellite programs can almost pay for themselves, but then you are tacking on the very expensive manned programs. Why wouldn't they just have more presence on the US Space Station? that's been good enough for the Soviets and everyone else.

Even more so for the military. If you're just going to totally support American interests then why not just let America do it entirely?

My understanding was that the Asian Tigers growth was partially due to a policy that they would use tacit US protection to sub for a military, at least in the beginning.

Darkest

Banned
regarding china- maybe some people would think they might be a sino-japanese war howerver japan and china would depend on each other's trade too much i think. maybe strong words but nothing more.

Probably so. Japan's stock market crash opened up ways to let China become the new superpower in the region. To say the least, Japan, the Asian Tigers, and ASEAN had a crash that transferred their economical momentum to China.

I am interested in the technology aspect of this. What could have been developed earlier? What would be the new exciting technology in the year 2006?

Like I said, I will work more on this topic.

The Japanese government makes the decision to go with electric cars and delivery trucks and buses only, in 1990, and their oil consumption is down 95% as a result since most freight in the country is by rail?

thanks everyone for replying-

reply NapoleonXIV- well the reason for the manned space program in TTL was cause japan seemed to be planning or some parties in japan were. I actually know little about this subject and just used what i found.

i thought if they were rising in status then a manned mission might be used to showcase japans abilities to the world. regarding the military at the time of GW1 there were calls from some in the US and prehaps elsewhere for japan to play a bigger role in world affairs. in TTL i handwaved the military increase as prehaps some politicians starting to believe that a still growing and economically strong japan should pull its weight. they intend to maybe a more independant US partner and prehaps have thier own sphere of influence eventually thats why they want a military with considerble projection capability and the US is happy to not have japan depend totally on them.

i agree with the space station bit- even if japan is going to build a space station then they should start with having a bigger presence on existing ones, prehaps building components for it to give them experiance for the next step.

Darkest

Banned
Here is a long, congested, second draft with significant butterflies added in to color this ATL.

Look through it if you want, its kind of long.

1985 - Japan invents the 'breadmaker' home appliance, which becomes popular in the United Kingdom and the United States.
1988 - A plebiscite in Chile returns the country to democracy after fifteen years under Pinochet. Chile will quickly become a regional trade-hub.
1989 - Japan tries but fails to acquire an aircraft carrier, causing some to raise doubts about Japans 'checkbook' diplomacy.
1989 - Military occupation of Namibia by South Africa ends due to UN intervention.
1990 - A bout of national interest in the space program leads to several government discussions on the ambitious idea of a Japanese space program rivalling that of the United States and is seen as realistic within the country.
1990 - Malaysia continues to grow economically along with the other Asian Tigers.
1991 - The MiniDisc by Sony is released, for both audio and computer data storage. It will become extremely popular in Japan, and moderately successful in Europe and the US.
1991 - Japanese contributes substantial financial aid to the Gulf War, strengthening international relations, especially with the US. American politicians come to believe that Japan should use its wealth to become more active in world affairs especially in situations where resources are at stake. The events of the Gulf War occur much like OTL, with fewer US casualties and more successes against the Iraqi. A major difference is the creation of an Iraqi Kurdistan by the Bush administration because of promises made to Kurdish leaders preceding their assistance in the war.
1991 - Wars of Yugoslav Succession begin, independence movements force a war between the collapsing nation. Slobodan Miloslevic is able to diffuse some situations and barely averts a much bloodier war, though there are significant casualties and mobilizations of armies and peacekeeper forces.
1991 - No massacre reaches the televisions of Portugal from Indonesia, and the East Timor problem never receives foreign aid. Significant reports of violations of human rights do force the UN to make judgements about Indonesia. Arms continue to be sold at East Timor, and the war of resistance by Timorese rebels continues as a cruel, bloody feud.
1991 - The first web site is built and hosted at CERN
1992 - Japanese Aerospace Development Agency (JADA) space agency organized.
1992 - Increased interest of the Japanese space program due to the formation of JADA leads to greater funds being allocated towards the initiative. The future of Japan looks hopeful, and the turn of the decade emphasizes a proud cultural realization. It is in these years that a boom of anime and Japanese-related items appear in the creative market of the United States. Such ideas continue to influence American arts.
1992 - Massacres, mass rioting, and rebellion begins in South Africa due to the assassination of popular African leaders and UN politicians working with the conflict. When many citizens go dead due to the use of chemical warfare, the crisis prompts the mobilization of NATO coalition forces. The United Kingdom takes an active part in the operations, along with the United States. Soldiers storm Cape Town and land in Pretoria, leading rebel forces and certain factions of the South African military against those clinging to apartheism. The US finds this as one more woe of the turn of the decade, along with the Yugoslav Wars and the Gulf War, and it strains their militaries. Unfortunately, the further use of chemical warfare lends to many casualties throughout the conflict and 'South African' illnesses to those that return as veterans to their home nations.
1993 - The California-based Iomega Corporation releases the Zip drive, which provides substantial competition with the Sony MiniDisc.
1993 - The last remnants of pro-apartheid South Africans surrender, and the nation of South Africa enters a period of political fury. Mandela was made a martyr in the first massacres, and de Kirk expresses no desire to become a candidate. A transitional government instead takes power to create a new constitution. The subject of a new name comes up to strengthen national pride and remove the traces of imperialism upon their country. A referendum has the country renamed to the Democratic Republic of Azania, thanks to major contribution from the Azanian People's Organization during the rebellion of 1992.
1993 - Sony and Nintendo releases the PlayStation in Japan and the United States, which becomes a huge hit in the consumer market.
1993 - Turkey and Iran see a more powerful and violent Kurd movement within their territory advocating an expansion of Kurdistan, a movement that includes acts of terrorism around the borders. This is deliberately against the measures set into place by the United States and the United Nations. With election crises prompting civil war, the Arab League pressures the United Nations to dissolve the nation into Iraq or give authority over it to other nations.
1993 - Japan manages to get US support for a re-armament program by promising to remain firm allies with the United States and act within the motivations of America.
1993 - Given the growing threat of China and North Korea, as well as the fact that Japan is the new economic and technological superpower in the region and growing still, the government increases defense spending and begins to buy weapons from abroad. The United States assists Japan on commencing a satellite-building program. With some coordination with America, Japan begins research for the later stages of their space plan.
1993 - The Global Positioning System (GPS) is declared fully operational.
1994 - Slobodan Miloslevic holds together the Yugoslavia situation. While he loses Albania, Croatia, Slovenia and Macedonia, he keeps Bosnia, Serbia, and Montenegro together in the Federal Republic of Slavia.
1994 - Sony releases the Digital Mavica, the digital camera that records on floppy disks.
1994 - Many schools in Australia, France, the United States, and the United Kingdom, begin including Japanese language in their curriculum, recognizing the ascendance of Japan into the current age.
1994 - Marcus Bird, a little-known black school teacher formerly from Cape Town, with significant political experience, who became a war hero during the 1992 Revolution, becomes the major candidate in the elections. South Africans see him as a charismatic person of the people, and very down-to-earth. Sponsorship from fellow politicians allows him to come into the spotlight. The new constitution, very democratic and well-written, comes into power and recieves wide support in a national referendum. Very learned and proactive, Marcus Bird fast becomes popular and is elected the first President of the Democratic Republic of Azania that year.
1994 - Suai Massacre shows footage taken by Dutch reporters reveal the use of chemical weapons to kill a huge number of people in the town of Suai. Some international pressure forces some backing down of Indonesian military.
1994 - Japan rearms with American, British and French weapons. This is seen somewhat threatening by Beijing, who increases their rate of modernization of their military. Looking over the Persian Gulf War, they find how efficient modern weaponry and tactics are against the aging weapons of the Cold War used by Saddam. The People's Republic of China militarizes, as incognito as Japan.
1994 - Japan continues to diversify and encourage innovation, attempting to emulate the new high-tech industries of the United States - new science parks are built and places like Tsukuba Science city are expanded. Attempts are made to encourage individual entrepreneurship within the student population. This leads to a less strict and competitive education system although education and hard work are still extolled.
1995 - Freemail is released on the world-wide web, a huge easily-accessible webmail service.
1995 - Kurdistan question remains as a controversy. Baghdad under Hussein moves against the area in response to terrorism, and holds the territory, prompting a response from the US-headed coalition force in Operation Second Strike. Japan is a huge benefactor throughout the endeavor. The decision to oust Saddam Hussein is made and he is imprisoned to be tried for war crimes. Japan sends soldiers over to assist in the occupation of Baghdad and abound. The country is to undergo US-directed reforms and the creation of a new democratic constitution.
1995 - Digital Audio Player is released by the SaeHan Corporation of South Korea, and quickly becomes popular.
1995 - Personal video recorders released widescale.
1995 - East Timorese resistance has fallen short, with the loss of nearly half of the region's population. Several parties sign treaties with Suharto after their leaders are captured and imprisoned for life. Portugal and the UN still argue for a state to be created, and do not acknowledge sovereignty.
1996 - The Digital8 camcorder is released by Sony.
1996 - Japan's new, improved space center is finished at Ishikari-shicho near Sapporo.
1996 - Lee Teng-hui becomes the first democratically elected President of the Republic of China, Taiwan.
1997 - Sony releases the CLIE personal digital assistant.
1997 - A consortium between IBM, Microsoft, Intel, Ericsson, and Nokia invents wireless technology under the codename 'Ramses'.
1997 - ASIMO is developed by Honda, a bipedal robot, can walk, react to its environment, and recognize images.
1998 - Elections fail to diffuse tensions between Shiites and Sunnites, commencing a civil war by religious extremists and nationalists. Major controversy over US administration leads to the souring of US relations and major changes in Washington's composition. Japan remains firm ally.
1998 - Sony releases the PlayStation 2 to an excited market.
1999 - Indonesia's authoritarian leader Haji Suharto comes under intense scrutiny over controlling the media and presumed intention of creating a one-party state. Riots in Jakarta and universities across the nation spark major controversy over human rights issues. The fighting becomes very violent, lending to so many casualties that UN peacekeepers are deployed to fill in for Indonesia's 'incompetence over internal security'.
1999 - The Sony Dream Robot (SDR) project begins to develop a bipedal humanoid robot to be manufactured for the common market.
1999 - Ernest Woods recieves the first self-contained, artificial heart transplant produced by Georgia-based company Hematech.
1999 - Thabo Mbeki becomes the second President of Azania, taking control of a country where rampant crime has taken the place of rebellion and a swiftly emigrating white population.
2000 - The Treaty of Athens is signed between the competing factions of the Iraqi Civil War, leading to the formation of the Democratic People's Republic of Kurdistan, the Islamic Republic of Shiastan and the Republic of Sunnistan. Each country is under an extensive no-fly zone and subject to UN peacekeepers.
2000 - The PlayStation Portable is released by Sony, their first entry into handheld gaming.
2000 - The Ansari X Prize is won by a three-way partnership between Canadian Arrow, Romanian-based ARCA and Scaled Composites who produce the first privately-owned space plane. Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Group funds the company to produce a nine-seated space plane to take tourists into space, and to work with creating a privately-owned space hotel.
2000 - The Sony Bell cellular walkman is released to the public, and is a huge hit.
2000 - HUBO, a functional humanoid robot developed by the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, becomes the most capable bipedal robot in the world, with mobile fingers.
2000 - James Soong wins the Presidential elections of the Republic of China (Taiwan). His conservative party advocates an eventual re-unification with the People's Republic of China.
2000 - Suharto resigns from power and a new election takes place, voting in President Megawati Sukarnoputri as the new president takes power. She agrees to a generous East Timorese special administration region to pacify Portugal and the UN, in return for sovereignty. The deal is made, and SARET (Special Administration Region of East Timor) comes into power over the said territory. President Mega advocates the complete autonomy of the region, and aids in peacekeeping, the disbandment of paramilitaries, and makes formal apologies to the East Timorese from the government. Considerable aid is given to rebuild the country. This is a wise move that wins good foreign relations from abound, especially with the ASEAN organization which as of late had fallen on hard times with the matter of Indonesia. Sukarnoputri provides enough democracy that she is able to ride the economical wave of the year 2000 with the rest of East Asia, which benefits Indonesia in a huge way.
2001 - Chile signs an extensive free trade arrangement with the United States, complimenting its recent economical improvements.
2001 - Late in the year the Rayblue Disc is released, with little initial interest, but over the next two years it will quickly replace modern data storage discs.
2002 - Taiwan under James Soong shakes hands with Jiang Zemin and the People's Republic of China, agreeing to a binding non-aggression pact.
2002 - Privately-owned space port built in New Mexico by Virgin Universal, the new space-front of Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Group.
2002 - Samsung introduces the first Liquid Crystal Display television panel.
2002 - Chile signs free trade deals with South Korea, the People's Republic of China, aiding its connections with the Asian Tigers. The new moderate-leftist government advocates a style of business used in the PRC, and the country looks to a fast relationship with them. In the same year, an association agreement is signed with the European Union, compromising of free trade and political agreements.
2003 - ASEAN member nations, the People's Republic of China, the Republic of China (Taiwan), India, Pakistan and South Korea become the founding members of the Asian Regional Cooperation Association (ARCA). There is controversy over the matter of Japan, an entity that wishes to join but wasn't necessarily desired in the union due to recent conflicts. In particular, Japan was becoming a regular superpower, and their growing shadow had recently subjugated Chinese and Korean markets, leading to a substantial level of scorn. The attitude of the matter being over the re-unification of Taiwan and the mainland in Beijing, there isn't much consent towards the two nations, but nevertheless leads to a further dwindling of foreign relations.
2003 - The PlayStation 3 is released, beginning a new wave of next-generation video games and media.
2003 - Wen Jiabao becomes the new President of the People's Republic of China.
2003 - South Korean institute, KAIST, performs a kidney transplant using genetically modified pig organs, of which is successful and accepted by the human body. This causes an uproar in the world scene, demanding that the technology be released to the public for worldwide healthcare uses. This is a source of major tension in the area, fueling the fire between the Japanese and the Koreans. KAIST believes that the Japanese are just trying to steal secrets that they had not been able to develop, and against this Japanese arrogance withheld the information, causing global political debate as to the institute's truthfulness and lack of concern to the rest of the world.
2004 - The MARO ("Mission for A Robotic friend"), the evolution of the SDR project, is released by Sony as the first commercially available bipedal humanoid robot. It is purchased widely across the world, and is an astounding device, being able to recognize faces and voices. It is also capable of running and performing simple tasks. It is, however, incredibly expensive, has a short internal battery of three hours, and is subject to data errors that keeps the customer services sector very busy. It is much more of an entertainment robot than anything else. It is nonetheless a huge stride in robotics. (OTL 2010)
2004 - After James Soong's political career is destroyed after it is discover he had a part in certain funds being missing and transferred over to staff members, James Soong loses the re-election horribly to the moderate New Party's candidate, Wang Chien-shien. This would significantly slow the quick reunification process Taiwan had recently leapt into.
2004 - The 1Kpixel artificial retina, "Sybil", is released by a consortium of high-tech medical firms.
2004 - Commercial spaceflights become available through Virgin Universal, allowing high-payers to take a short ride into orbit to safely experience nearly 15 minutes of weightlessness.
2005 - HYPATIA released for commercial use by Honda, another functional robotic device but with a much more useful purpose, in that it can accomplish searching-and-fetching tasks unaided in a library environment. Though expensive, they become reputable symbols of prestige in famous libraries and universities.
2005 - General Motors releases a commercially available self-driving car, though does not ship it to market over safety concerns and countless modification of the technology to be accident-proof.
2006 - ARCA enlargement accepting the memberships of Kazakhstan, Sri Lanka, Iran, Mongolia, Bhutan, Russia and finally, Japan. The union has shifted from jealously guarding their association and accepting a wider membership. A famous speech is given by Wen Jiabao about the peaceful, continual rise of Asia and how all Asian nations are instrumental in the process, including Japan.
2006 - The GMC ZeroH ("Zero Hands") is released. The wave of models using this new technology leads to a hi-tech craze in the United States. Still, incidents involving wireless hacking and the high cost of the new cars keeps a substantial number of drivers on the road.
2010 - Space hotel under construction by an assorted consortium headed by Virgin Universal and start-up company Schneider Aerospace and including the interests of Japanese corporations of Sony and Mitsubishi.

Left unthought of
Black Hawk Down issues
2003 - Indonesian presidential election
Al Qaeda 9/11 plots
North Korea attacks
Iranian nuclear program
Israel nuclear program
Rwandan genocide
Revise Yugoslav wars
Collapse of the Soviet Union
Human Genome Project
Dolly the Sheep cloning
Genetically engineered crops
Reunification of Germany
Yemen issue
Eritrean independence
European Union
Peace process in Northern Ireland
Hong Kong transfer
Second Congo War
Kargil War
Princess Diana

wow!- that's one detailed timeline. I like the technology bit.

the issues you said you had'nt thought of....hmm well maybe princess diana goes to japan for some reason that she did'nt in OTL, develops an interest in japan and inspires a wave of japanophilia or whatever in the UK/west.

SU's collapse- maybe japan gives them tons of aid to rebuild their country- prehaps in exchange for gas and oil, maybe russia emerges as an energy giant sooner.

genetically engineered crops- since agricultural space is at a premium i could see the japanese at least toying with the idea maybe driving it along.

not sure about cloning- course japan on both OTL and TTL are at the forefront of technology so its not far fetched, maybe japan does it first or is in a partnership with the west.

EU- maybe they have a more unified and stronger military seeing as japan might be more powerful in east asia then either the UK or france individually.

9/11 i dont know about that.

I reading a national geographic article on tokyo bay, it says the SDF sent a minesweeper and medical teams to the Gulf in 1991.

the same article has information on the land reclaimation project in tokyo bay i mentioned- Kisho Kurokawa's New Tokyo Plan 2025 calls for scooping up the polluted muck on the seabed and using it to create a huge central island that could cover up to a third of the bays area. possibly providing living space for a third of tokyo's 12 million people. it is believed by the architect that it would save the local environement by increasing water circulation- unfortunatly it would cost 620 billion dollars. for that and a number of other reasons it's very controversial.

I'm not sure about the bosnian and yugoslav wars- i think japan may consider it Europe's (and America's) problem.

Rwanda- well as someone pointed out Japan's aid programs in africa have left it with considerable influence. So maybe Japan would attempt to get the world to take more substantial action then it did.

I wonder if development into cleaner and more renawable energy sources would be better developed.

on Tokyo Sky City- i can't remember whether you mentioned this or not. but if it and/or Norman Foster's Millennium Tower (1989) which was also designed for Tokyo for the same reasons more or less might not inspire a trend around the world. i gather their cost would be enourmous but if successful, it could spark similar efforts in Shanghai, Hong Kong, London and New York.

My very small contribution to this interesting thread is to point out that US operations in space have generally returned 7 dollars in innovation and spin-offs and new technology and so on for every 1 dollar invested.

Space does indeed pay for itself if you take a macro look at it.

Ok, a few more things.

Nippon would love love love to develop Siberia. But they're still pissed over their northern islands. Islands for a detailed survey of Siberia and certain amounts of development/aid funding for free in addition to normal investment money? A cash strapped Russia would probably be willing to deal if it had some pressure applied.

Pebble bed reactors? Enough of those and either battery or fuel cell cars become viable and oil dependance goes throw the floor.

I'm not sure you need much in the way of military increases. As it is the SDF has both a bigger budget and more manpower then the UK, tweaking it a little could get them a couple of those very nice CVF's the UK is looking at now OTL.