Hello, fellow allohistorians.

I'd like to discuss the development of a somewhat larger (but not overblown) Maltese Air Wing post-Maltese independence in the 1960s. This is part of my tongue-in-cheek LOSERS project. The main POD behind the changes to the Maltese Air Wing is a somewhat higher level of tension between the West and East than during the OTL Cold War. This forces even several of the small European countries to the west of the Iron Curtain to buff up their militaries a notch. But only a notch.

If you're not familiar with the OTL AW of the AFM, here's some info :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Wing_of_the_Armed_Forces_of_Malta
https://afm.gov.mt/en/equipment/aircraft/Pages/aircraft.aspx
https://afm.gov.mt/en/forcestructure/organisation/Pages/organisation.aspx

Some concrete plans I have and would like to see realized :
- keep most of the OTL turboprop trainer, light transport/MP fixed-wing plane and light helicopter complement in place (not much big fixes needed)
- very slightly increase the number and variety of turboprop trainers (e.g. 1 or 2 more models, with 2-3 pieces of each)
- modernize the OTL light helicopter complement earlier, preventing the mostly outdated helicopter inventory in the OTL present (something like buying that UH-72 Lakota or a similar, if cheaper SAR/army helo, could IMHO work)
- in very small numbers (2-3 max), give the Air Wing some heavy helicopters, primarily for maritime patrol, SAR and potential anti-submarine or at least crime-fighting role (a Super Puma could do just fine, maybe replaced or supplemented with an Mi-14 after the fall of the Iron Curtain)

A critical plausibility check I need to discuss :
Could Malta field a small number (2-3) of its own combat jets, even if they were just simple combat-capable jet trainers (e.g. like the Italian Aermacchi, French Dassault Alphajet or British BAe Hawk) ?

Last edited:
maybe a dozen of mig-21 from Ukraine or Kazakhistan would suffice: probably they sell them for nothing nowadays

While the MiG 21 is an interesting, ubiquitous and cheap warbird, I think it would be a bit of an overkill. :(

Part of the reason why I want to buff up the AW only a bit is that Malta can't really afford that much of a big, sophisticated military in the first place, and has had trouble modernizing some parts of its military over the years (though said modernizations weren't all unsuccesful, it's just that they take some time and are fairly expensive). The country has too small a population and too small an economy to support very advanced aircraft, especially in larger numbers. Hence why, if Malta would need some urgent close air support from a faster aircraft, I think two-seat jet trainers would be a better solution than dedicated jet fighters...

In terms of the TL's setting, I already have Luxembourg operating jet trainers in a similar capacity and for similar reasons (despite the fact that Luxembourg is generally wealthier than Malta). Only the TL's Iceland operates light jet fighters, but that's due to a fear of the Soviets trying a landing or bombing raid on Iceland or Icelandic airspace being breached far more often than in OTL by virtually any nation, allied and non-allied alike.

Last edited:
Part of the reason why I want to buff up the AW only a bit is that Malta can't really afford that much of a big, sophisticated military in the first place, and has had trouble modernizing some parts of its military over the years (though said modernizations weren't all unsuccessful, it's just that they take some time and are fairly expensive). The country has too small a population and too small an economy to support very advanced aircraft, especially in larger numbers. Hence why, if Malta would need some urgent close air support from a faster aircraft, I think two-seat jet trainers would be a better solution than dedicated jet fighters...
How about this for a timeline - when Malta achieves independence in 1964 the British obtain a long-term lease to be able to continue using port facilities and an airfield/army base on the island due to the higher level of tension you mentioned. Aside from being non-communist which automatically makes them a target, their increased involvement with western defence issues via the port and base also increases their potential of being a target so they spend a bit more on defence. As part of the lease agreement the British pay part of the rent in hard cash and part of it in military supplies and support. One suggestion for a decent low cost jet would be the Hawker Hunter. It was very good when introduced, comes in both fighter and ground attack versions, and also a two seat trainer model. The Swiss Air Force was apparently using them up until the mid-90s so whilst very much low tech compared to more modern aircraft it can't of been that bad.

Those are good suggestions, Simon, I might use some of them. :)

However, I'd like to introduce combat jets only from the 70s onward. And I want to make said jets more compatible with not only British and Italian standards, but also the LOSERS alliance standards (Malta in this TL, as well as in OTL, will not be part of NATO). Maybe the Air Wing could get the Hunters early on and then, as they grow outdated and the Cold War draws to a close, replace them with BAe Hawks or one of the Aermacchi trainers ?

If we go with the above mentioned idea that they fly Hawks first and then decide to replace them with jet trainers, I could see this as a good replacement in case they decide to go for an Italian aircraft instead of a British one :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aermacchi_MB-339 - The successor to the MB-326. In use since the 80s and pretty succesful. Very similar to the BAe Hawk in most aspects, though it is subsonic. But, frankly, I think its 900 km/h are still more than enough for Malta's needs, in any case... Delivery date for the Maltese MB-339 ? Maybe the first half of the 90s. Argentina was withdrawing its 339s from service back then, so malta might negotiate their purchase and return to Europe via Italy.

Keep in mind that this is just a preliminary suggestion.

Now: What about light helicopters ? Looking at the OTL Maltese light helicopter inventory so far, what would you guys recommend ?

(We'll talk about the heavy copters later, promise.)

Last edited:
Now : What about light helicopters ? Looking at the OTL Maltese light helicopter inventory so far, what would you guys recommend ?

(We'll talk about the heavy copters later, promise.)

From what I remember they mostly fly Bells and Alouettes.

Not sure what they would need heavier copters for, as such.

OK, the thread has been moved. We can get back to our discussion.

So, as far as heavy helicopters go, I was thinking about the Super Puma, primarily in a SAR and patrol role.

For the Turbo Prop trainer, how about something like the Tucano in the 80's moving to the Super Tucano in this generation, it buys you a armed trainer with a large consumer base. Instead of going for multiple models of different aircraft I'd focus on just 1 model.

Certainly possible. I've already decided Luxembourg will have some Super Tucanos (primarily for training) by the start of the 21st century. With the downscaling of armed forces after the Cold War, we might see a situation where Malta eventually abandons jet trainers completely and switches to turboprops for any would-be close air support and air policing roles. Still, I am a bit undecided about Malta yet. One notable problem I have with the idea is that the Super Tucanos might be too expensive, at least from the get-go. And especially when being operated concurrently with small jet trainers.

About the extension of the fixed-wing trainer inventory throughout the TL : In OTL, Malta started out with Cessna Birddogs in the early 70s (or thereabouts), then eventually switched to a small number of Scottish Aviation Bulldogs in the 90s, after they were retired by the RAF. What I'd like to see is the earlier replacement of the Birddog with something like the Slingsby Firefly. Then, maybe in a similar timeframe to OTL, they could replace the Fireflies with Bulldogs. And maybe later replace those directly for brand-new or used Super Tucanos. An alternative to this would be keeping the Fireflies flying and replacing them directly with Super Tucanos once said Fireflies become too outdated.

Nick P

Donor
Given that Malta is an island with a need for Maritime Recon, Anti-Smuggling Patrols and Search and Rescue, why can't they get a few HU-25 Guardians as flown by the US Coast Guard?
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg7/cg711/hu25.asp

Of course, this will mean a fleet of Maltese Falcons.... :D

I nearly suggested the F-16 but you clearly don't want expensive jet fighters. The small Irish Air Corps fly Pilatus PC-9s in the close air support role, they only have 8 which should match your needs. Pretty sure they can also carry air-to-air missiles.

I'd go with the 1970s ex-RAF Hunters (Lebanon had a few at the same time which are still in service!) or Folland Gnats. Gnats have a good air combat reputation from the India-Pakistan clashes, were used for flight training and aerobatics, and are available secondhand from the RAF in the late 70s as the Hawk entered service.
Gnats were being built new by HAL for India until 1971. An improved version, HAL Ajeet, was built until 1982.

If you were to follow the US route, they might get A-4 Skyhawks or F-5 Tigers. F-86 Sabres or Lockheed T-33s might be passed to them. Depends if Malta gets US help via the Military Assistance Program.

Given that Malta is an island with a need for Maritime Recon, Anti-Smuggling Patrols and Search and Rescue, why can't they get a few HU-25 Guardians as flown by the US Coast Guard?
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg7/cg711/hu25.asp

Of course, this will mean a fleet of Maltese Falcons... :D

Ah, that's a pretty cool suggestion. :) Certainly, if Malta will operate some small jet trainers in this ATL, it would make sence that they'd be able to operate what is, effectively, a small civilian passenger jet (though modified for Coast Guard duties in this case). Besides, civilian jet aviation is common in Malta by the time I'd introduce small jets to the Air Wing. And the TL's Monaco, much like in OTL, is operating the Dassault Falcon in a more typical VIP transport role. So yes, HU-25 Guardians are not completely out of the question.

However, I might try to keep the OTL status quo of BN Islanders and Beechcraft King Airs, or supplement this OTL inventory with a single larger turboprop plane. The TL's Icelandic Coast Guard is operating Bombardier Dash 8s as a replacement for its retired Fokker 27s. I think a similar choice would suit Malta as equally well as a modified Falcon, at a fraction of the latter's price. My reasoning for this choice is simple : It's not like Malta has very far-reaching naval borders. And whatever enemy activity would occur in Maltese airspace, I think the armed jet trainers could handle it better than what is, in essence, just a marginally faster coast guard plane.

I nearly suggested the F-16 but you clearly don't want expensive jet fighters. The small Irish Air Corps fly Pilatus PC-9s in the close air support role, they only have 8 which should match your needs. Pretty sure they can also carry air-to-air missiles.

I'd go with the 1970s ex-RAF Hunters (Lebanon had a few at the same time which are still in service!) or Folland Gnats. Gnats have a good air combat reputation from the India-Pakistan clashes, were used for flight training and aerobatics, and are available secondhand from the RAF in the late 70s as the Hawk entered service. Gnats were being built new by HAL for India until 1971. An improved version, HAL Ajeet, was built until 1982.

If you were to follow the US route, they might get A-4 Skyhawks or F-5 Tigers. F-86 Sabres or Lockheed T-33s might be passed to them. Depends if Malta gets US help via the Military Assistance Program.

Good points. You've probably haven't seen my notes on the project so far - in case you're wondering, here they are - but one of the main ideas in the TL is that the military alliance of small European countries uses equipment that is not too dissimilar of each other, for strategic purposes obviously. The TL's Iceland is flying a very small number of upgraded F-5s for armed air policing duties, Luxembourg has BAe Hawks in similarly miniscule numbers for both air policing and potential close air support (due to the country's small size, proper fighters would be impractical). Andorra (too long to explain) has a duo of armed Pilatus PC-9s and Iceland uses some PC-7s as trainers. Liechtenstein (long story, go here) has two Slingsby Fireflies for spotting and training duties, as well as a single PIlatus PC-6 Turbo Porter. Andorra has the latter as well (a total of 2 units), making it its biggest aircraft. Iceland uses Pumas and Super Pumas for both SAR and military applications.

So yes, it's not like Malta will deliberately choose aircraft that are wildly different from the aircraft of other member countries of the LOSERS military alliance. Certainly, at least in terms of turboprop trainers, there is a pretty good assortment of models to choose from, even if I only looked at the ones that had appeared in my notes so far, country-by-country.

Since the older RAF jets had been already mentioned in this thread (Hawker Hunters), I'll contemplate your recommendations for the Gnats as well.

'Buf' up the air force? What does Malta need with B52s? ;)

Very funny. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
So, what about the Pumas and the Mi-14s ? They buy a Puma in the late 70s or early 80s, then supplement it in the late 90s with an Mi-14 recently retired from the Bulgarian Navy ? Could that scenario work ?

What about the Hawk 200?

For the time being, I'd like to focus on the helicopters.

One thing that should have been replaced far earlier in OTL are the Alouette IIIs. Despite their age, they're still in service and are now basically the only domestically owned helicopters in the Air Wing. There was an incentive back in 2010 or 2011 to replace them with newer light patrol helos, but any purchase had to be postponed. So, the Air Wing is now stuck with the Alouettes and two older Agusta-Bells the Italians leased out of pity. I think replacing the Alouettes earlier ITTL - say, during the 1990s - is going to be crucial, beneficial and rather logical.

would Malta need jets or would something like Douglas A-1 Skyraider work for them? At least into the early 90's.