Best Possible Post-Colonial Africa Divisions?

Jcw3

Banned
After decolonization, assuming nigh-ASB levels of European caring for the African people, what would be the best national divisions for the African continent?

- Every nation has access to the sea, merge or split nations as appropriate to make sure this occurs
- The UN security council somehow manages to keep the peace throughout the entire continent with enforced peacekeepers if necessary
- No nation has a over abundance of natural resources (Nigeria, Zaire/Congo, Angola, Liberia etc)
- The Europeans don't pull shit like Katanga
- No cold war and therefore no ideological wars
- Ex-colonisers provide free higher education and subsidise primary and secondary education in places like the Congo
- Africans themselves aren't over zealous and allow for a phased withdrawal where its deemed appropriate (in the Congo but not in Egypt)
- All nations with multiple ethnicities embark on programmes such as Brazil, Indonesia and Tanzania to create national identities (this would solve the sort of problems you see in Rwanda)
- Sudan splits in half
-Ethiopia does not become 'the Ethiopian Empire' but instead treats Eritrea with respect

My two pence. I may come back later and add more. This is just a rough starting point.

Last edited:
Basically split the D.R. Congo, Nigeria and Sudan up, otherwise Africa's borders are'nt really that bad and were in large part created partially based on history and social groups.

I will say this; with a few exceptions you can not create ethnic nation-states in Africa as the entire concept of ethnicity in the European sense does'nt exist in several regions and of the actual ethnic groups they basically exist on the extremes, that is they're either to small (as in a few hundred people) or huge groups spread out over a large region in non-contiguous areas.

I did a map. It is very preliminary.
b2jms6A.png

I:
  • Made WS independent
  • Created a large Tuareg state
  • Independent Biafra
  • Independent Darfur
  • Balkanized DRC
  • Independent Cabinda
  • Balkanized Somalia
  • Cut South Africa into a cape and Boer state

What do you think?

What do you think?

Its OK, but you balkanise South Africa in different ways, and probably better.

Make KwaZulu independent, give what is OTL North-West Province to Botswana, make a bigger Lesotho, by giving them the southern Free State, give Swaziland the Swazi parts of Mpumalanga, and make the eastern half of the Eastern Cape into Xhosaland.

More or less what will be left of South Africa is OTL Northern and Western Cape, southern Natal, Gauteng, Limpopo, a rump Mpumalanga, and about half of the Free State and the Eastern Cape.

Nations to be formed on the basis of tribal loyalties, not on the bones of colonial boundaries.

As has been said before, most ethnicities in Africa are either too spread out and mixed with other ethnicities to be coherent states (see the South African homelands as an example) or they number too few to be viable as modern nations.

A number of multi-ethnic countries have been relatively successful, such as South Africa, Mozambique, Namibia, Zambia, Tanzania, and Ghana. Just because a country is ethnically divided does not mean it will not be stable or successful.

Large federations would be a good idea if we had any hope of the Colonial powers putting sufficient work into preparing institutions and voters for independence. This of course was sort of tried (Central African federation, East African Federation, South Africa etc)

Large federations would be a good idea if we had any hope of the Colonial powers putting sufficient work into preparing institutions and voters for independence. This of course was sort of tried (Central African federation, East African Federation, South Africa etc)

This also prevent European divide and conquer taking place and you save a lot of lives. See Rwanda.

See all those nations in centre of the Congo you created? They will be dirt poor, massively unstable and will therefore affect the growth and development of all nations around them. With this in mind you've also effectively shut down the Congo river as a means of transport. Also there is no need to balkanise Somalia. Everyone in Somalia is Somali, the only difference is the level of development by province and who the coloniser was.

My attempt at Africa. I'm knackered so I know I've made many mistakes, and I couldn't be bothered to draw the grey lines in so just pretend almost everything is federalised. Also after these nations have been carved out it should be the policy of the UN to allow no further territory changes (as OTL). This should improve the fortunes of many nations just via economies of scale alone.

b2jms6a.png

What's happening in Algeria in this map? Why is the coast split off? If we weren't already operating under the assumption of European non-dickishness I would say that is France trying to keep a taste.

It's quite interesting that the opposite conclusion to European statehood is drawn for Africa, in respect to national delimitation. Of course, as has been said, African ethnicities are hopelessly mingled, so it makes sense; just interesting, is all.