WI Ibrahim Pasha of Egypt was killed in 1834?

In sprin of 1834 Ibrahim Pasha was in Jerusalem fighting against the Arab revolution. It happened to be Easter at the time amd Ibrahim Pasha expressed his wish to see the annual miracle of Holy Light appearing in the Holy Sepulchre... However the church was packed with a large crowd and his presence there caused tensions to rise betweem arab orthodoxs... Soon a stampede happened with several dead people in the church... Ibrahim was caught in the middle of this and he would have died if his personal guards hadnt intervened and sliced their way out of the church with their swords...

WI Ibrahim had died this day? How is his death affects the ongoing arab rebellion and how Muhammed Ali would react for the death of his favourite son and heir?

Possibilities

George,

I cannot think any other consequence at the moment apart from the Turkish-Egyptian war a little later where the known Turk Resit Pasha Kiutachi CinC of the Turkish army was defeated by Ibrahim at the battle of Iconium in 1839 and what whould happen if Ibrahim wasn't there...and,I am certain,you have something in mind,may I enquire what?

Of course,I will subscribe,such stories are out of the ordinary and boardom of most threads...I await for your answer and perhaps I will have something else in mind...

Last edited:
George,

I cannot think any other consequence at the moment apart from the Turkish-Egyptian war a little later where the known Turk Resit Pasha Kiutachi CinC of the Turkish army was defeated by Ibrahim at the battle of Iconium in 1839 and what whould happen if Ibrahim wasn't there...and,I am certain,you have something in mind,may I enquire what?

Of course,I will subscribe,such stories are out of the ordinary and boardom of most threads...I await for your answer and perhaps I will have something else in mind...
Ya. He's already done most of the things he's famous for, crushing the Greek Revolt, conquering Syria for Egypt, etc.

Yes, he was effectively ruler in his father's last days, but that wasn't long, as he predeceased him. So, not I don't see big changes either.

Ya. He's already done most of the things he's famous for, crushing the Greek Revolt, conquering Syria for Egypt, etc.

Yes, he was effectively ruler in his father's last days, but that wasn't long, as he predeceased him. So, not I don't see big changes either.

Ibrahim did not crash the Greek revolt,he was twice defeated in his attempt to invade Mani(the mountain area west of Sparta),he failed to take the capital of the revolution,Nafplio and in the face of the International atmosphere regarding the Greek situation,his French advisers told him that it would be better not to persue a war that he couldn't win,but to start a war that he could win against Turkey for the complete independence of Egypt and for territorial gains against the sultan.He didn't listen and his fleet was destroyed along with the Turkish one at Navarino and the French general Maizon landed in Peloponnese with an army of 14000 men following the provisions of the London protocol,he forced the castles and cities held by the Egyptians to surrender and forced Ibrahim to evacuate Peloponnese with his army loaded on French ships for Egypt.

He followed the French advice later and declared war against Turkey.

The arab rebellion was put out rather quickly due to the presence of Ibrahim... If Ibrahim is out of the picture then i guess that prolonged rebellion would weaken both Egypt and the Ottomans and opened Great Powers appetites for grabs in the area... What i dont know is how Muhammad Ali would react to his favourite son' s and heir death...

The arab rebellion was put out rather quickly due to the presence of Ibrahim... If Ibrahim is out of the picture then i guess that prolonged rebellion would weaken both Egypt and the Ottomans and opened Great Powers appetites for grabs in the area... What i dont know is how Muhammad Ali would react to his favourite son' s and heir death...

Don_Giorgio

Didn't he lose one of his other sons in what's now the Sudan? I believe I remember reading about it somewhere, a long time ago. Think he was killed in some fighting or rebellion in the southern Sudan and the reprisals ordered by Ali were pretty brutal. Mass killings and mutilations.

If that source was accurate then its likely that things would be pretty bad for the local population if the ruler's most popular son was killed. Albeit possibly that the region, although in unrest was Arab rather than negro population I could see some nasty 'revenge' occurring.

Steve

If Muhammad Ali reacts brutally then i guess he would have pissed off the arabs beyond belief and the arab rebellion would have been a very nasty thing to watch... If his retaliations expanded to christians too as the murder would have happened inside Holy Sepulchre then Muhammad Ali risks provoking Russia's wrath...