• Seven

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Eight

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Nine

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As Richard IV is otherwise engaged I have created the voting poll for Flag Challenge 91:

IMPERIUM

I’ve enjoyed Keith Laumer’s ‘Imperium’ books. As at present I am bereft of ideas for a challenge, I’m taking the easy way out and asking for a design of a flag for the Imperium – at any date from 1900 to the present.

If you’re not familiar with these books, you can get the general idea from various reviews on the internet.

Your version of the Imperium doesn’t have to be exactly as in the books (we are after all on an Alternate History site!) but should follow the main premise – a union of Germany, the UK and some Nordic/Teutonic nations etc. (feel free to add/remove a few nations).

Some Background

FromWikipedia:
Books set in the Imperium mythos: a continuum of
parallel worlds policed by the Imperium, a government based in an alternate Stockholm. In the science fiction novel Worlds of the Imperium, the Imperium is formed in an alternate history where the American Revolution did not occur, and the British Empire and Germany merged into a unified empire in 1900. The protagonist, American diplomat Brion Bayard, is kidnapped by the Imperium because the Brion Bayard in a third parallel Earth is waging war against his abductors. Further adventures follow after Bayard decides to remain in the service of the Imperium.

While from Scifidimensions [
http://www.scifidimensions.com/Aug05/imperium.htm] In Imperium we have three good-humored journeys across the nested parallel worlds, jumping off from a universe where World War I never occurred, where the British, German and Swedish royal houses threw in together, and instead of boasting an Edison and a Marconi, they had a Maxoni and a Cocini who found that running current through wire wound up Moebius-fashion would lift them out of their universe with all the ease of a Wright flyer taking wing, but with ever more grievous dangers.

Laumer’s hero Brion Bayard is a rapscallion American diplomat spirited away from the streets of Stockholm. Why and to where is the crux of the story as we travel to a gas-lit gilded world where 19th century pomp, polished brass, and imperial hubris never went out of style, and the Russian revolution was a no-show. This is the world of the Imperium.

These two extracts from the first book in the series may be of help:
(1)
“The acquisition of the Maxoni papers placed a different complexion on the situation. Rightfully feeling that they now had a considerably more favorable position from which to negotiate, the British suggested an amalgamation of the two empires into the present Anglo-Germanic Imperium, with the House of Hanover-Windsor occupying the Imperial throne. Sweden signed the Concord shortly thereafter, and after resolution of a number of differences in detail, the Imperium came into being on January 1, 1900.”

(2)
“London Zero Zero is the capital of the Imperium, comprising the major portion of the civilized world; North Europe, West Hemisphere, Australia, etc.”

As one character is amused at the mention of an American republic existing in OTL perhaps the POD was pre 1776 and not 1801 or 1815 as I have seen mentioned in reviews

And the entries:

ONE said:
One of the official flags of the Imperium, for use in the Swedish Provinces. This flag combines the earlier Union Jack, and one of Prince Adalbert's proposals for a flag of Germany, with the gold cross of Sweden.
attachment.php

TWO said:
Here's my take on the Imperial Flag [1] shortly after the "Treaty of Stockholm" [2].
It features the Imperial Crowned Lion with Wings Sigil [3] and 12 crowns to symbolise the Kingdoms on union [4].

attachment.php

[1] members likely retain their own flags
[2] I assume there'd be one
[3] made up but I assumed there'd be some merger of Lion and Eagle that wasn't a griffin :D
[4] 4 British, 4 German, plus whatever makes the numbers up ;)

THREE said:
The flag of the Imperium adopted in 1900

The cross is red (England) and black (Germany), the yellow represents Sweden and the blue Norway (it is pre-1905) and Scotland!

ip8sjn.png

FOUR said:
The United Kingdoms of Great Britain, Ireland, Norway and North Germany (formerly Prussia-Hannover), also known as the Teutonic Imperium. The two saltires stand for Norway and Scotland (though the Scottish saltire is relativly minor, hence why the blue is so prominent), the cross stands for England. The golden and black corners stand for North Germany (Hannoverian gold and Prussian black). The blue stands for both Scotland (as previously explained) and the North Sea, the 'Teutonic Lake'. Ireland is unrepresented on the flag (same with Wales, naturally).
attachment.php

FIVE said:
The flag introduced in 2000, the centenary of the Imperium. Every part of the world was now either part of the Imperium or vassal to it as reflected in the central motif. Above the 'globe' is the imperial crown. The colours of red and black commemmorate the founding nations, Britain and Germany.

11uhgl0.png

SIX said:
IMPERIUM

This is the flag effective from 1st January 2010 - a stylised "I" in red superimposed on a white background with a black and a blue horizontal stripe.
era3hk.png

SEVEN said:
attachment.php

Flag as of 1900, deliberately shaped to imitate a Roman-sque flag.

Laurel = Roman Empire = The Imperium as Inheritor of Rome;)
Trident = Britannia = British Empire
Iron Cross = Germany = German Empire
Three Crowns = Swedish Empire
Bellerophon and Pegasus = The a symbol for wisdom, and triumph of good versus evil.

The Pegasus was the slayers of Chimera, an omen of storms, shipwrecks, and natural disaster. Moreover, it is an offspring of Poseidon. This creature, together with the red background, symbolizes British Naval Power's dominance in the Imperium.

The figure also nicely hints at the House of Hannoverand ancestral saxons either side of the North Sea, Scotland (unicorn), and Prussia (eagle wings)

EIGHT said:
here is my entry

attachment.php

NINE said:
Griffin was chosen as the Imperium's heraldic figure because it was an amalgamation of the lion and eagle, representing the founding nations of England and Germany.
attachment.php

Last edited:
My family problems were more complex than I thought, so I must add my grateful thanks to The Professor for stepping into the breach.