Der Fuhrer battleship converted to carrier

700,000 tons, roughly 2000' long and mounting Gustav guns at 31.5". Its 12 secondary 9" guns could be the primary guns on a heavy cruiser. Thought of this when browsing the "Modern Nazi Germany" thread.

fuhrer-bb.jpg

After the Nazi victory over Russia in late 1942, surrender under mild terms of the British Empire in 1943 after the second Battle for Britain and little involvement from the US for lack of a Pearl Harbor attack (I am shooting from the hip here), the Fuhrer demanded the implementation of plan Z. Originally intended to challenge the naval power of the UK, these plans were expanded even more to ensure total supremacy of the seas.

Aircraft Carriers were beginning to show greater promise, however Hitlers love for battleships resulted in orders being put forward for 8 battleships of the H44 class and 1 battleship of the Der Fuhrer class.

Constant revisions to the H44 class resulted in construction being delayed greatly on the first 3 hulls and at one point construction was halted as better, faster jet planes proved that a fast moving fighter could sink a large ship during tests of new cruise missile type weapons in 1946. Still, Der Fuhrer saw its hull laid down and a full year of construction put into the ships gigantic hull before being delayed.

With Hitlers sudden death from complications with drug use and possible foul play, a period of economic and military reform would see the Nazi old guard pushed out of power and Germany move towards a system of governance resembling modern OTL Singapore more than anything else.

With a mild conflict in the pacific proving the strength of Carriers, it was decided that only one H44 class would be completed as it was already far along in construction. The remaining two hulls would be converted into carriers. Z-plan became C-plan because I am un-original and soon Germany pushed for a carrier fleet of 12 super carriers ranging from 90,000 to 120,000 tons and covering a half dozen different classes (few ships were similar to each other due to many hull conversions and changes.

Then we come to Der Fuhrer, now renamed 'Odin' because I am still un-original. The hull was already laid on the gigantic 700,000 ton ship, though little other work was done. Finally it was decided that 'Odin' would become a massive new aircraft carrier. By 1957, the huge new ship finally rolled down the slip way and ran over Ireland by accident.

So with this revised ship, what sort of capabilities can we expect from such a gigantic carrier. I would expect somewhere in the area of 500 -800 possible aircraft, somewhere in the area of 15k crew. Would it keep any of its guns? I would expect it to have some anti-aircraft weapons that would be pretty insane.

Another question is a upgrade later in its life. I expect this white elephant will start out with a couple of world tours, then after five years never leave the dock. At first it would be a naval academy in its own right, but later it would become a training ship with a skeleton crew.

Suddenly, in 1993, it is decided to give the ship a full remake as part of some fiscal stimulus package of sorts. New AA systems, new radar and tracking, new advanced nuclear reactors and a completely new compliment of crew and aircraft. Finished in 1996, the new reactors make the ship far less expensive to operate and remove the need for so much fuel.

When I figure out how to do a Shipbucket in photoshop I might actually take a swing at this.

Finally, a naval target so big that even a B17 can't miss it. :)

I would not want to be responsible for trying to maneuver that beast, or any version of it, in combat. Its biggest problem is the principle that any air attack, pressed home, is going to get to its target. And if this beast is the target, whatever enemy aircraft get through will have the easiest target on earth to shoot at. Granted, it's huge; probably hard to sink too. But it looks like that very size would make repairs difficult; probably needs a port of its own for the work.

Last edited:
Finally, a naval target so big that even a B17 can't miss it. :)

I would not want to be responsible for trying to maneuver that beast, or any version of it, in combat. Its biggest problem is the principle that any air attack, pressed home, is going to get to its target. And if this beast is the target, whatever enemy aircraft get through will have the easiest target on earth to shoot at. Granted, it's huge; probably hard to sink too. But it looks like that very size would make repairs difficult; probably needs a port of its own for the work.

Yeah, I would imagine it would need 3 super carriers just to screen it from attack by bombers. Even with all that aircraft power on board, even one B17 could put a big hole in it with a direct hit. Though with this thing entering service in the 1950's, I imagine a nuke would be on the menu for it. But I guess you could say the same thing for a Nimitz.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
2000 feet long? :eek:

TWO THOUSAND FEET?! 700,000 TONS?

That's 50% longer than the largest supertanker ever constructed and close to triple the tonnage. That monster can only make 16 knots (with 50,000 shp). It would be double the length and SEVEN TIMES the displacement of a Nimitz class CVN. Damned thing would have a draught of 150 feet if it had an inch.

What does it use as powerplant, a fusion reactor? Warp engines? You would need, as a minimum, 500,000 shaft horse power to get something that size moving fast enough to conduct flight operations (and even then you will need 30 knots of wind over the deck to help out). You couldn't build the thing in Germany, you would never get it out of the Baltic (BTW: the Kiel Canal has a draught limit of 31 feet, biggest ship that even managed passage was 74,000 tons).

Good news is that you can get through the Straight of Gibraltar. Bad news is that you would probably have to back out of the Med once to are in there since there may not be enough sea room in the basin to make a 180 degree turn.

Let me ask a couple of pertinent questions here.

First, just where are the Germans going to build this monstrosity? No harbor in Germany is deep enough (the deepest is 45 feet and this thing has a 55 foot draft). And where do you dock it when it needs repairs to its hull, propellers, or rudders?

Next, where is Germany getting the fuel to move it? (At a projected cruising speed of 15 knots it would consume about 2,000 tons of fuel per day; at its top speed of 30 knots it would consume over 12,000 tons of fuel per day.) (For this estimate I use fuel consumption figures for the Iowa class and scaled them up, which should give a decent approximation.) BTW the latter figure is more than the average daily consumption of their entire U-boat arm at its height!

http://weaponsaroundtheworld.blogspot.com/2011/02/german-super-battleship-der-fuhrer.html

The above link gives the design figures for the class.

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ref/Fuel/Fuel-BB.html

And this link gives fuel consumption figures for all US warships during WW II.

Last edited:
2000 feet long? :eek:

TWO THOUSAND FEET?! 700,000 TONS?

That's 50% longer than the largest supertanker ever constructed and close to triple the tonnage. That monster can only make 16 knots (with 50,000 shp). It would be double the length and SEVEN TIMES the displacement of a Nimitz class CVN. Damned thing would have a draught of 150 feet if it had an inch.

What does it use as powerplant, a fusion reactor? Warp engines? You would need, as a minimum, 500,000 shaft horse power to get something that size moving fast enough to conduct flight operations (and even then you will need 30 knots of wind over the deck to help out). You couldn't build the thing in Germany, you would never get it out of the Baltic (BTW: the Kiel Canal has a draught limit of 31 feet, biggest ship that even managed passage was 74,000 tons).

Good news is that you can get through the Straight of Gibraltar. Bad news is that you would probably have to back out of the Med once to are in there since there may not be enough sea room in the basin to make a 180 degree turn.

FYI, the largest ship ever built is this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seawise_Giant

which in fact is bigger than the projected Fuhrer class (design displacement at full load 617,297 tons, design draft 55 feet at full load).

So such a large ship is not beyond the realm of possibility, although certainly beyond the reach of Nazi Germany.

Build bigger docks, build bigger ports and conquer the Baku Oil fields. A decent Nazi victory scenario is a precursor for this going anywhere beyond ASB territory.

Plus I think it would just sit in port seeing as it would be a huge white elephant no matter what. That is until it gets upgraded in the 90's with efficient nuclear power. And even then I doubt it would go beyond half of its crew requirement and maybe a third of its air arm actually being put on board.

which in fact is bigger than the projected Fuhrer class (design displacement at full load 617,297 tons, design draft 55 feet at full load).

So such a large ship is not beyond the realm of possibility, although certainly beyond the reach of Nazi Germany.

Full load displacement is similar, but the BB was projected to be about 500' longer and around 50' wider. You're right, such a vessel does seem humanly possible now, but where on Earth would it sail? And where would it have been built/home ported "back in the day?"

Cook

Banned
Important things to note:

The Seawise Giant was an oil tanker. Dry, it displaced 81,879 tons. Only with a full load of oil did it displace 646,642 tons. She was simply a very large box for moving oil.

The largest battleship ever built was the Yamato, 250m (800 ft) long, 39m beam and displacing 70,500 tons.

Build bigger docks, build bigger ports and conquer the Baku Oil fields. A decent Nazi victory scenario is a precursor for this going anywhere beyond ASB territory.

Plus I think it would just sit in port seeing as it would be a huge white elephant no matter what. That is until it gets upgraded in the 90's with efficient nuclear power. And even then I doubt it would go beyond half of its crew requirement and maybe a third of its air arm actually being put on board.

The design originated from an offhand remark by Hitler as to whether it was possible to mount the Gustav railroad gun on a ship.

http://gizmodo.com/5821389/the-largest-gun-ever-built

The Kriegsmarine's designers, after they ascertained that he was asking a serious question and not putting them on, drew up the preliminary design. Since there was no possibility of obtaining the necessary resources (you don't conjure 600,000 tons of steel out of thin air, not in our reality) they promptly shelved the design and diplomatically informed him that it was unfeasible. And there the matter rested.

It would have been a white elephant and a complete waste of resources. But it would have been impressive to look at!

(By the time nuclear power was available the ship would have been near the end of its useful life anyway; the Germans would probably simply have scrapped it and built more modest and practical carriers for their fleet instead.)

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor

I am well aware of the Seawise Giant (or whatever name she would up with after being sunk by the Iraqis during the Tanker War, refloated, renamed Happy Giant, and then sold again). She is more or less a gigantic floating oil tank with engines attached. Any resemblance between her and a warship, with its vast array of watertight compartments, machinery spaces, magazines, and all the other things that turn a blank hull into a warship, ends at "well, they both float".

700,000 TONS displacement. Not 90,000 with 560,000 tons of cargo, 700,000 tons of warship (as the OP states), without fuel, munitions, and crew. You couldn't build a ship that size today. You are talking a ship 2/5 of a MILE long with armor plate capable of defeating a 31" shell. Impossible.

I am well aware of the Seawise Giant (or whatever name she would up with after being sunk by the Iraqis during the Tanker War, refloated, renamed Happy Giant, and then sold again). She is more or less a gigantic floating oil tank with engines attached. Any resemblance between her and a warship, with its vast array of watertight compartments, machinery spaces, magazines, and all the other things that turn a blank hull into a warship, ends at "well, they both float".

700,000 TONS displacement. Not 90,000 with 560,000 tons of cargo, 700,000 tons of warship (as the OP states), without fuel, munitions, and crew. You couldn't build a ship that size today. You are talking a ship 2/5 of a MILE long with armor plate capable of defeating a 31" shell. Impossible.

Actually the estimates I ahve seen usually put 700,000 fully loaded. My carrier concept might be a lot lighter without big guns.

Delta Force

Banned
Next, where is Germany getting the fuel to move it? (At a projected cruising speed of 15 knots it would consume about 2,000 tons of fuel per day; at its top speed of 30 knots it would consume over 12,000 tons of fuel per day.) (For this estimate I use fuel consumption figures for the Iowa class and scaled them up, which should give a decent approximation.) BTW the latter figure is more than the average daily consumption of their entire U-boat arm at its height!

Those figures get you at 13,702 barrels of oil a day cruising and 78,431 barrels of oil a day at top speed. That one ship alone would consume a good portion of the USN's total fuel consumption given that the entire US military consumed 390,000 barrels of oil per day in 2006. I guess if you already own the world it isn't that much, but then again it's not going to have anyone to fight to begin with.

Grey Wolf

Donor
I have seen exactly one warship more ridiculous than that, and it's Japanese.

LOL, love it!

As to the OP, if the Nazis have defeated the USSR, they have access to the dockyards built in the far North by the Soviets where the Sovietski Soyuz class were, in part, being built

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Look on the bright side - if the Germans do try to build this monster, the British are bound to go ahead with Habbakuk by way of response:)

The Habbakuks were designed specifically to combat U-Boats, so I think not. The Malta class OTOH could well be in, and the British would almost certainly ask for a few B-29s.