nothing here

One wonders how the Royal Navy doesn't interfere with moving Arnold and his men - not to mention that Arnold and his men are kinda needed where they are, although I suppose you could move Arnold and assign him a different force than the men around Ticonderoga.

This seems interesting, but the British response being quite capable of stomping hard on Nova Scotia really needs consideration.

I don't know enough about NS to know how likely its rebellion at all would be, so I'm going with what's been said here.

I gave this a little "pesky" undertone. Arnold is moved, because he wants to invade Canada (remember his failed expeditions in Quebec?) and he's given new men. They didn't stop him because they're busy with privateers/operations around New York, not to mention ferrying supplies throughout their armies and to and from Britain. A little handwaving was needed for this timeline, but I promise you it won't be an all-out ASB Ameriwank.

New men from where?

And the Royal Navy can deal with those things AND deal with Arnold. That's the problem.

I don't mind there being answers - but I do very much mind "let's just handwave this out of the way so that we don't have to consider how to set up a situation that would deal with it."

Yes, the British can really hit hard on Nova Scotia, but at the moment they're viewing this as a pesky little guerrilla exercise by the Yanks. Don't worry, it won't be an excessive/unrealistic high on the Americans' part, but they need a few early victories to set the stage for the rest of the timeline.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Yeah, at the moment it's one thing - it's more over the course of the next year that it will become more problematic. Also, if Arnold is on Nova Scotia, that will have significant impacts on the (OTL) Saratoga Campaign - Arnold played a huge role in that well before it reached the end game.

Here's hoping you can find solutions to the problems and keep things interesting - the concept bears exploration even if it would be tricky.

Hmm. I'll replace Arnold with John Allan, a fellow Nova Scotia revolutionary who was very adept at recruiting Native Americans for the war effort. He'll go the tricky route by land through Maine, which'll take care of the Royal Navy.

Also, by handwave I didn't mean conventional "this doesn't happen, ASB" kind I meant "handwave the details", which I suppose I should have specified.

Thanks for your help. Every piece of input I get makes this a better timeline.

See, that (your solution with Allan) handles this nicely - it gives a good, convenient reason why it would work, rather than just "Somehow it happens.", which leaves the impression that the side that would stop these things got stuck with an idiot ball.

:D

It doesn't have to be ASB per se to be a bit much too swallow, is the thing.

Hmmm, I can't help but feeling this is pushing things, but I don't have a good solution to offer, so let me get back to you on this if you want more useful feedback.

I like it. I don't know much about the details of the era and region, so I can't necessarily point out where implausible points are.
That said, if all improbable events are still possible, then chalking it up to luck is more than forgivable, in my opinion.

I suppose I could, but there's always the fine line where luck becomes ASB.

I'm thinking: The Americans somehow beat the British back again and again, then a ragtag rebel manages to get to the Continental Congress thanks to Vermont, which was apparently driven to the Congress by way of an Alien Space Batmobile... is probably ASB.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but at this point I'm open to any ideas.

Thanks for all your help, guys. I'm hoping I can make this work.

If the focus of the TL is to show what a slightly larger USA could do, then a slightly implausible introduction is perfectly acceptable. Sometimes it's okay to push the envelope a bit for the sake of the story.

And a "This I can comment on" note: How long are the enlistments of Eddy's men for?

Holding them for four or five months might bring them near the end of their enlistments.

Here's hoping for Eddy's sake that the Maliseets's own commitments don't inconveniently pop up at the time he needs them most.

This is going to be walking on a tightrope even with things continuing to be favored by fortune.

Hm... Well, the British had a higher percentage of casualties, but more of those were wounded as opposed to killed.

Another nice Wikibox.

Nice update. Things aren't looking good for American Nova Scotia or Eddy's War.

I'm ambivalent about update lengths/delays. Go with however you feel is best/easiest for you to write.

I would suggest putting dates for updates, though.

Very interesting turn of events, the French helping up in NS.

I suppose you can look at the OTL war and try to get a sense of where the butterflies might be striking.

French supplies

I am enjoying this thread and hope that you continue. One thing that the French might do to help Eddy is give hm a couple of small cannons and train the Americans on using the cannon. I remember reading that there was a small cannon that the British used which would help the rebels.

"
The grasshopper cannon is a weapon designed by the British in the 18th century as a light battalion gun to be carried around with infantry. It frequently saw service in rough terrain such as the frontiers of British North America.
Its barrel was made of bronze instead of iron. Bronze is less brittle than cast iron, and so the barrel could be made thinner and lighter than that of an iron gun. Further, if a bronze gun developed a defect it would rupture; an iron gun with a flaw would shatter, at great cost to its own crew. It fired a three pound ball (or 3 pounds of canister shot).
Using the conventional split trail, it was moved by its own crew using drag ropes and wooden shafts much like a handcart. Two straight shafts were placed on each side of the cheek pieces facing forward, and two angled ones at the trail. Their appearance, and the fact that the gun jumped backwards with the recoil when it was fired, led to its nickname of Grasshopper."

If I think about anything else, I will add it to the thread.

Stubear1012