Better 80s Cartoons.

Willmatron

Banned
G I Joe, Tranformers, He-Man and Thundercats have been rebooted to be better. How would cartoons do if they would have started off better. For example if they were written in the same style as the Batman animated series.

G I Joe, Tranformers, He-Man and Thundercats have been rebooted to be better. How would cartoons do if they would have started off better. For example if they were written in the same style as the Batman animated series.

Transformers better? IMHO they are worse now than in the 80ths.

Transformers better? IMHO they are worse now than in the 80ths.

If Transformers G2 had been created and had followed the events of G1 S4 (Headmasters) the series could have focused on the relationships between the nebulous and the Transformers.

Huge galaxy spanning battles would have led to ructions between the hybrids and could have led to splits in the alliances.

I liked GI Joe and Transformers, even though Transformers Animated was good, too. Remember, the '80s were a different time, and these were kids shows. Making them dark like BTAS would not necessarily have been a good thing

The big problem in the 80s with the cartoons is that they were more geared towards selling all manner of tie ins (toys, clothing, breakfast cereal, ect.) with little or no regard to other things, such continuity, plot or logic.

Devvy

Donor
ARE YOU CRAZY?

The 80s was the nuts for good cartoons. Fact. :)

In all seriousness, the storylines are probably a bit better, deeper and more varied now.

But the 80s versions usually had epic good vs evil battles (if a little cheesey), awesome characters, and absolutely amazing rock music backing it. The notions of honour, loyalty, justice, truth were baked through those cartoons through and through.

If the 80s Thundercats theme tune doesn't get you going, then nothing will.

ARE YOU CRAZY?

The 80s was the nuts for good cartoons. Fact. :)

In all seriousness, the storylines are probably a bit better, deeper and more varied now.

But the 80s versions usually had epic good vs evil battles (if a little cheesey), awesome characters, and absolutely amazing rock music backing it. The notions of honour, loyalty, justice, truth were baked through those cartoons through and through.

If the 80s Thundercats theme tune doesn't get you going, then nothing will.
Bah, the best decade for cartoons was clearly the '90s!:p

Let's be frank, every decade has gems and garbage; we remember the gems, forget the garbage (asides from hte most egregious examples), and so think that such-and-such an era must therefore be the best.

F'r instance, there was lots of great stuff from the '90s. Gargoyles, Batman: The Animated Series, ExoSquad, Beast Wars, ReBoot, Dexter's Lab, The Powerpuff Girls, etc. But there was also Street Sharks, Extreme Dinosaurs, GI Joe Extreme, Captain Planet, etc.

Last edited:
The big problem in the 80s with the cartoons is that they were more geared towards selling all manner of tie ins (toys, clothing, breakfast cereal, ect.) with little or no regard to other things, such continuity, plot or logic.

Transformers had continuity and plot. I grant you that they didnt have logic:p But i pitty the fool who say Transformers the Michael Bay version is better than Transformers the movie from 85.

There can be only one Starscream and one Galvatron

Devvy

Donor
Bah, the best decade for cartoons was clearly the '90s!:p

Let's be frank, every decade has gems and garbage; we remember the gems, forget the garbage (asides from hte most egregious examples), and so think that such-and-such an era must therefore be the best.

F'r instance, there was lots of great stuff from the '90s. Gargoyles, Batman: The Animated Series, ExoSquad, Beast Wars, ReBoot, Dexter's Lab, The Powerpuff Girls, etc. But there was also Street Sharks, Extreme Dinosaurs, GI Joe Extreme, Captain Planet, etc.

You left out X-Men! :O

Better? *sigh* it's all perspective I guess. Star Rangers, and Brave Starr are two of the unsung heros of 80's TV, plus Astroboy today just doesn't make me think I'm Astroboy. Even when I run around the house in my underwear and red rubber boots when it comes on TV, much to my girlfriends chargrin.

Better character development, which it seems today's revamps have started to improve upon. But then again 80's cartoons were made for the toys, in some cases it was the other way around with delightfully ludicrous back stories, enter the era of the 90's cartoon.

Maker bless the Internet, because we can debate children's cartoons like sane logical adults.

Then there is something wrong with you.

Transformers Animated was awesome. Transformers Prime is awesome.

No ... no, nothing wrong with him; just a difference of opinion (and one that I share; with some caveats). Transformers: Animated was good, don't get me wrong, but I would hardly say it was awesome; it always seemed as if it were on the verge of trying to be a Super-Hero show. That being said, I enjoyed it; I just don't think it was as good as the original G1.

Transformers: Prime. Yeah; I'll give that one to you. I've only seen the first season, and a few eps of Season 2, but I def dig it. (I do love how they are digging into the backstory of the characters and the war).

But, I think we can all agree; they are ALL still way better than the Bey flicks!