WI: Washington dies during the siege of Yorktown?

So, what would have happened if Washington had perhaps died during the siege of Yorktown? Lets say as he's preparing to fire off the first cannonball at the siege it explodes prematurely and kills him or something. I think Yorktown would have been won regardless by that time.

But, would the Americans have still won their revolution? And if they did, would the first president of the United States (assuming they followed OTL and set up a central government) been able to keep it together? Or would they have been able to form a central government?

Would Britain have come in and taken over the Colonies again?

The Revolution was pretty much over after Yorktown (yes, it technically lasted another two years, but the major fighting between British and American troops was pretty much done), so I think so.

But it would be a hard blow to the Continental Army and to American unity.

Would have very little effect on the revolution, but potentially serious effects on the United States.

The Revolution was pretty much over after Yorktown (yes, it technically lasted another two years, but the major fighting between British and American troops was pretty much done), so I think so.

But it would be a hard blow to the Continental Army and to American unity.

That's true. After 1781 it basically transfered to the world theater and focused more between France and Britain then America.

But, especially in the first days of the new nation, you had the Whiskey Rebillion. Could it have survived those early trails as easily?

A lot depends on who takes Washington's place. It's not as if he was the only figure with any ability as a leader.

A lot depends on who takes Washington's place. It's not as if he was the only figure with any ability as a leader.

Gates could have possibly done a fair job. Don't know how his political savvy was though. Washington's main force was his popularity because of Yorktown and beating the redcoats there. I guess any war hero could have had some pull on the populace. But, then again, it goes back to who is politically intelligent enough among those men to make it work.

Jasen777

Donor
But, especially in the first days of the new nation, you had the Whiskey Rebillion. Could it have survived those early trails as easily?

There'd be serious problems before that, with the bigie being if a constitution to replace the hopeless Articels can be achieved and agreed to without him.

There'd be serious problems before that, with the bigie being if a constitution to replace the hopeless Articels can be achieved and agreed to without him.

I was just giving an example of what occurred almost immediately after the forming of the "nation" although I think nation is perhaps too strong a word until the Constitution.

That's true. After 1781 it basically transfered to the world theater and focused more between France and Britain then America.

I'm going to say probably. The Constitution would be written without Washington. The real challenge would be how the Presidency develops.

Gates could have possibly done a fair job. Don't know how his political savvy was though. Washington's main force was his popularity because of Yorktown and beating the redcoats there. I guess any war hero could have had some pull on the populace. But, then again, it goes back to who is politically intelligent enough among those men to make it work.

The Gates of Camden infamy, or some other Gates?

I'm going to say probably. The Constitution would be written without Washington. The real challenge would be how the Presidency develops.

Would there even be one? Or do you get a multiple executive, say a triumvirate with one man chosen by the House, one by the Senate and one by the States?

Faeelin

Banned
Would there even be one? Or do you get a multiple executive, say a triumvirate with one man chosen by the House, one by the Senate and one by the States?

I could see things getting messier earlier; with Washington dead, who aborts the Newburgh Conspiracy?

But Gates, after Camden, is looking like an overrated fool. Saratoga or no.

Beyond Gates, there really isn't too many heroes from the war. Lee proved he was even more a fool. Perhaps Knox, or Ethan Allen. Maybe even William Clark with his little campaign in the "Far West". But beyond Washington, there aren't too many real war heroes.

Sure, maybe Benjamin Franklin. Samuel Adams.

Beyond Gates, there really isn't too many heroes from the war. Lee proved he was even more a fool. Perhaps Knox, or Ethan Allen. Maybe even William Clark with his little campaign in the "Far West". But beyond Washington, there aren't too many real war heroes.

Nathaniel F--king Greene.

And George Clark, not William.

I'm going to go with "John Adams becomes first president" then. After an incredible amount of political infighting that will turn the position into god-knows-what.