WI: Batman in Outer Space?

In the late 1970s, Batman's popularity was waning.[4] CBS was interested in producing a Batman in Outer Space film. Producers Michael Uslan and Benjamin Melniker purchased the film rights of Batman from DC Comics in April 1979. It was Uslan's wish "to make the definitive, dark, serious version of Batman, the way Bob Kane and Bill Finger had envisioned him in 1939. A creature of the night; stalking criminals in the shadows."[4] Richard Maibaum was approached to write a script with Guy Hamilton to direct, but the two turned down the offer. Uslan was unsuccessful with pitching Batman to various movie studios because they wanted the film to be similar to the campy 1960s TV series. Columbia Pictures and United Artists were among those to turn down the film.[5]

From wikipedia: Batman in Film.

So, what if instead of nearly a decade of development hell, Batman in Outer Space gets made circa 1980-83?

Directed by Guy Hamilton perhaps. Who would star? What does the story look like?

Without going as far as to check, but surely DC have put Batman into an off-world setting for one of its expanded universe storylines?

Without going as far as to check, but surely DC have put Batman into an off-world setting for one of its expanded universe storylines?

No idea. I never bought any of the single issues growing up, only graphic novels and single issue Dark Horse Star Wars shit.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to google, "Space Batman"...

You could make a Batman movie off of the popularity of the Superman movies, as was the original plan. For whatever reason, Batman was put off until two years after the Superman series ended. A more Superman influenced Batman movie could also borrow from the space-theme of Superman. It would probably fail, but that's how I see it happening.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to google, "Space Batman"...

Easy enough I think, but what if I don't want Google to suspect I'm a nerd?:D

Anyhoo, on youtube,
synopsis: Batman travels to a distant planet to aid the Batman-like hero of that planet, and discovers that he has super-powers... and a super-weakness.

So the animated series has done Batman in Space. I don't know what the critical reaction is to this particular story arc is, though I know this is the series with the Joker all the fanbois slobber over.

Batman's been going to space since the 50s. The Batman of Zur-En-Arr who Magniac mentioned was from one of the more famous space adventures. And as far as I know, few fanboys slobber over the Batman: the Brave and the Bold version of the Joker, though he was quite good.

Easy enough I think, but what if I don't want Google to suspect I'm a nerd?:D

Anyhoo, on youtube,

So the animated series has done Batman in Space. I don't know what the critical reaction is to this particular story arc is, though I know this is the series with the Joker all the fanbois slobber over.
That synopsis you posted sounds an aweful lot like Batman of Zur-En-Ahr, or at least the BTBATB version, with the "quartz=kryptonite" weakness

No. Mark Hamill was in Batman the Animated Series, over a decade before Batman the Brave and the Bold. I seriously doubt there was a space Batman in any show other than the Brave and the Bold. You should watch both those shows, by the way. They're very good.