Lifespan-wanks

Your favorite historical figure with a too-short life gets a little genetic tweak or is standing two feet to the left at the right time or decides not to visit that little town by Mosquito Marsh and lives to be 80 (preferably without going blithering senile, unless you find that a cool idea). What happens?

(And let's not make this all about Alexander the Greatly Overrated :) )

Bruce

In OTL, Geiseric the Vandal. Lived until he was 88 (in the 5th century, mind you).

Wanking Stalin's lifespan could be interesting (but only plausible if you change his habits)- a Stalin living into the 60s would seriously alter world events...

If Kléber wasn't killed in Cairo in 1800, the Egyptian campaign might have gone better, or even the Napoleonic wars in general. I still agree Egypt was a lost cause after Napoléon's brilliant strategic failure (it was basically a vanity project to begin with, and it's ridiculous that he managed to bolster his career with it) but it might have been interesting to see how things went with another capable, loyal general.

Johnny K :)D) is one of my favorites.

Let's say he gets another twenty-five years.

Given his progress to date, the Byzantines are in pretty good shape. Antioch is probably cemented as under Byzantine rule. The 2nd Crusade is going to be frustrating, but John might handle it better (in terms of foreign relations) than his son. Or not - hard to tell. John was a very different person than Manuel.

John isn't going to be spending significant amounts of effort in Hungary and Serbia, and probably not in Sicily either. That's pretty certain.

If he keeps up his friendliness with the HRE as a way of dealing with Sicily, that's one theater the Byzantines won't be bleeding gold in.

I'd say the Byzantines are looking at a fair amount the plateau by the 1170s - and even at worst the Turks won't be united under either the Seljuks or Danishmends in control of it.

Meanwhile, thanks to him being a savvier spender, the treasury won't be looking as bare.

I'd count this as to the good.

So, that brings us to 1168 or so, and from there it depends on who takes over and what they do. But I think this is the best post-Manzikert possibility.

Deleted member 40957

I had a TL idea where Edward R. Murrow lives past 57 and is tapped by LBJ to start a national broadcasting service modeled on the BBC - but begins clashing with Washington over their coverage of Vietnam.

a few things i included in my ASB ATL include Cuauhtemoc (the last Aztec emperor) living much longer because he escaped capture by the Spanish, Manfred von Richtofen living into the 1960s (as well as being the first person to fly nonstop across the Atlantic due to butterflies with no WWI), and Hitler not only emigrating to the US but also living into the 60s (he never achieves notable political power). and remember, its ASB for a reason ;)

Abhakhazia

Banned
A full Harrison term or a full Lincoln second term would be fun.

a few things i included in my ASB ATL include Cuauhtemoc (the last Aztec emperor) living much longer because he escaped capture by the Spanish, Manfred von Richtofen living into the 1960s (as well as being the first person to fly nonstop across the Atlantic due to butterflies with no WWI), and Hitler not only emigrating to the US but also living into the 60s (he never achieves notable political power). and remember, its ASB for a reason ;)

I was going to say, I don't think he's dead. :p

It might be a little soon to call him a historic figure, but Ahmad Shah Massoud springs to mind. The entire outcome of the war in Afghanistan might have changed if he hadn't been killed in a suicide bombing on September 9, 2001.

Pericles surviving the plague in Athens. Personally I don't see him launching the Sicilian Expedition which could have repercussions for the Peloponnesian War.

Louis II of Hungary live is an interesting POD but one that gets little love.
Died at Mochacs when he was 19, allowing the Hapsburgs to inherit Hungary and Bohemia and setting of the Austrian-Ottoman wars.

Last edited:
Stalin just making it to 1960 could be fun.
Quentin Roosevelt could also be interesting to if he goes into politics. Heck, his father making it to 1938 would also have earth shatering implications.

Louis II of Hungary live is an interesting POD but one that gets little love.
Died at Mochacs when he was 19, allowing the Hapsburgs to inherit Hungary and Bohemia and setting of the Austrian-Ottoman wars.

Hm. Escapes, reestablishes himself as king in Bohemia? If he (and his country) go protestant peacefully, Bohemia (and perhaps much of the HRE) could have a much happier 17th century. Not sure Austrian-Ottoman wars avoided: Suleiman is probably going to make a go of expanding further west regardless of who is claiming the crown of Hungary, and Vienna is easier to get to than Prague.

Bruce

Štefánik deserved to live longer. Dead at 39, after all he achieved ? Talk about fate being a complete dick... It would be interesting to see what would become of the man in the interwar political scene.

Also, Jane Austen (who I don't revere, but respect) totally deserved to live longer.

Stalin just making it to 1960 could be fun.
Quentin Roosevelt could also be interesting to if he goes into politics. Heck, his father making it to 1938 would also have earth shatering implications.

Considering TR was going to be the Republican nominee for 1920, it sure was.

I'm particulary fond of extending Lorenzo de' Medici's lifespan and then wank Tuscany to hell and back, :D

Also, Fedor Godunov.