No Iberic Union - 1580

Following the death of the King Sebastian of Portugal in the Battle of Ksar El Kibir, in 1578, he was succeeded by his great-uncle, Cardinal Henry, who died two years later without legitimate direct successor. Three grandchildren of Manuel I claimed the throne, among them Phillip II of Spain, later Phillip I of Portugal, whom became the effective inheritor of the Portuguese Crown.

This succession was not without thorns and one of the other grandchildren of Manuel I, António Prior of Crato, even defended his right to the Portuguese thrown. He was proclaimed King of Portugal in Santarém on the 19th July 1580 relying upon popular hostility to a Spanish ruler. His support was feeble, however, relying on the common people while the upper classes supported the Spanish King - because many of them had been bribed, promised future benefits, or threatened with the loss of their privileges and estates.

António’s adventure lasted for twenty days, after which he was defeated in the Battle of Alcântara by a Spanish army led by the Duke of Alba. Some more skirmishes followed, namely in the Azores, but the fate of the Portuguese Thrown of settled: Phillip II of Spain, I of Portugal, would become the new King of Portugal, thus uniting all the Iberian Crowns.

This dynastic union lasted for eighty years until 1640 when John, Duke of Braganza, was acclaimed as John IV of Portugal beginning the Portuguese Restoration War that eventually led to the independence of Portugal.

That was what happened in our TL. Now, let’s say that, as other times, the Portuguese are able to defeat the Spanish invaders at the Battle of Alcântara. This will be our POD. Obviously a victory in that battle alone would not ensure the survival of Portugal as an independent country. Philip II of Spain would not give up just for loosing a small engagement. Nevertheless let’s say that a victory in that battle would galvanize the supporters of Antonio, make those that were indecisively sitting on the sidelines come over to Prior of Crato field and, eventually, even making most of the nobles and remainder upper classes that supported Phillip of Spain change sides.

With the majority of the country now firmly behind him, Antonio I is able to rally the forces necessary to ensure that the Spanish are not able to control the Portuguese territory and, eventually, peace is made with the understanding that if Antonio I of Portugal does not have any direct male successor, the Crown of Portugal would go for Phillip II of Spain.

So, considering that in our TL Antonio fathered several children, including, at least, two male suns, let’s consider that Portugal continues to be ruled by the dynasty of the House of Beja-Aviz in the person of King Antonio I of Portugal, the Determined. Some butterflies come to mind as a direct result of this POD:

- The enemies of Spain (England, The United Provinces, France) do not turn on Portugal, thus the Portuguese overseas colonies and territories do not become fair game namely Brazil (attacked and partially occupied by the French and Dutch) in South America and Ceylon in Asia;
- Portuguese commercial interests in Asia, Africa and South America would naturally suffer from increased competition from the English, Dutch and French, but not on a such scale and pressure as in our TL;
- Probably no participation (direct or indirect) in the called Thirty Years War, in which Spain had an active role;
- No participation in the Spanish Armada that sailed to England in 1588 with the intention of overthrowing Elizabeth I of England (it would probably sail out of Seville instead of Lisbon) which would mean a weaker Spanish Armada, from one side, and a much more powerful Portuguese navy in the following decades (without the losses suffered in the Spanish Armada failed attempt to invade England)

As a consequence in spite of the already obvious signs of decline visible in the Portuguese Empire before the Succession crisis of 1580, keeping the independence would certainly forestall said decline (which was increased under the rule of the Spanish Philippine Dynasty) and, maybe, even allow to its reversal.

Another possible consequence could be a modernization, and consequently increase of strengh, of the Portuguese Navy following the defeat of the Spanish Fleet at the hands of the English seaman and the adoption of the revolutionary naval battle tactics and ship designs (e.g. Dreadnaught) introduced by the English.

Further down the line, we could have a different situation during the Napoleonic wars. Let’s say that instead of refusing to comply with the Continental Blockade implemented by Napoleon, Portugal, in spite of the long standing alliance with England, closes its mainland harbors to English trading vessels – let’s say they do open the overseas harbors for trade with England like they did in Brazil on OTL to compensate and not loose its ally – knowing that on land the Napoleonic Armies are, for the moment, unbeatable. This would have three major consequences: no submission of Portugal to England as a semi-colony/protectorate for decades, a very different Peninsular War without the Napoleonic Invasions of Portugal and the Brazilian national entity would not be formed as in out TL.

Thinking of maybe developing a TL from this POD.

Ideas, suggestions and comments anybody?

It sounds good, but one thing; while the Spanish Armada will probably still take place, and I think your four conclusions are correct, this would butterfly Napoleon and the Napoleonic Wars completely. The Thirty Years War would probably start, but go very different from OTL, and beyond that I really can't say; to some extend it would be up to you, so long as you kept it internally consistent.

It sounds good, but one thing; while the Spanish Armada will probably still take place, and I think your four conclusions are correct, this would butterfly Napoleon and the Napoleonic Wars completely. The Thirty Years War would probably start, but go very different from OTL, and beyond that I really can't say; to some extend it would be up to you, so long as you kept it internally consistent.

Thanks for your input. I’m didn’t meant to suggest a complete butterfly of the Napoleonic Wars. I meant that the butterflies of an independent Portugal in the period 1580-1640 could eventually lead to a different posture of the Portuguese Royal family and keep the country out of the European conflicts of the Napoleonic epoch (no French invasions of Portugal) and, thus, a different Peninsular War which would only happen in Spanish territory. Probably this would work as an advantage to the French – No wasted manpower in the unsuccessful invasions of Portugal- which would, at least, mean a longer conflict untill de French are defeated, if at all.

I’m not sure I’ll develop a TL from this POD. Anyway as a starting point I think it would be important to identify the immediate consequences of such a POD. Starting “internally” – with internally I mean Portugal and its overseas territories – this is, in my opinion the overall consequences of Portugal staying independent in 1580:

- The first thing that comes to mind is that the Spanish capital would not be moved to Lisbon in the period 1581-83 as it did in our TL;
- Secondly, and as I mentioned in my opening post, I do not believe Philippe II of Spain would just rollover and sit quite after a single lost engagement. He would, most probably, assemble an army and a fleet to set siege to Lisbon and force the surrender of Antonio I of Portugal.
- Thirdly, and considering that whatever the events subsequent to the Battle of Alcântara are they lead to the final defeat of the Spanish ambitions on Portugal, this would entail a very different development of the Portuguese Empire of the time and of the Portuguese society, for the better.

This last bullet would have two main drives:
- I believe would be a consequence of the national pride of the Portuguese being strengthened by, once more, beating their old Castilian/Spanish foe against adverse odds and
- A regeneration of the Portuguese ruling classes following the exile, execution and loss of titles and positions of those nobles and remainder upper classes that had supported the ambitions of the Spanish King. Even if not directly suffering any kind of penalties, many noble and upper-class families would lose their influence with the King and government structures.

Major changes in the development of the Portuguese Empire for the period of 1580-1640

This is just a simplistic step by step analysis of the actual events of our TL and what might have been if our POD happened.

Generally speaking the union with Spain entailed both benefits and drawbacks as far as the Portuguese Empire was concerned. Spanish imperial trade networks were opened to Portuguese merchants, which was particularly lucrative for Portuguese slave traders who could now sell slaves in Spanish America at a higher price than could be fetched in Brazil. In addition to the access with Spanish asientos, the Portuguese were able to solve their bullion shortage issues with access to silver mining in Peru and Mexico. With our POD while the loss of the access to the Spanish Empire slaves and silver markets would be made up for an increase in the trade with the East, since Portugal would be able to maintain many of the territories and marketplaces lost to the English and Dutch in OTL.

Many authors point out that one of the consequences of the Union with Spain was the Tordesillas boundary between Spanish and Portuguese control in South America being increasingly ignored by the Portuguese, who pressed beyond it into the heart of Brazil. This might mean that with the lack of the union of both Empires that would not happen as so. I do not agree. Except for the border of Rio de La Plata (now-a-days Uruguay) there would be, for quite some time, no contact point between Portuguese and Spanish expansion into the interior of South America (with the natural barriers of the N-S mountain range and the almost impenetrable Amazonian Forrest helping to maintain them apart) and the Spanish never really pressed the settling of the South America’s northern Atlantic coast past Trinidad and Tobago (today’s eastern Venezuela frontier line). Thus said, it is my opinion that not much consequences would come to the territorial expansion of the Portuguese South American colonies.

More profound effects of the Union came from the fact that Portugal was dragged to the conflicts between Spain and England, France and the Dutch Republic. In OTL the consequences were rather bad to the Portuguese, with attacks on Portuguese shipping, occupation of Portuguese holdings in Brazil, Africa and Asia (The Portuguese Empire in the East proved to be much easier to attack and occupy - consisting primarily of exposed coastal settlements vulnerable to being picked off one by one - and culminating with the expelling of the Portuguese traders from Japan in 1639. Portugal would be able to recover most of the South American and African territories lost to the Dutch but its preeminent position in Asia was been lost forever.

It is my believe that this would be where the differences would be felt the most. First all the events of our TL would simply not come to be:
- The attack of, mainly, English and Dutch Privateers on Portuguese shipping would not happen and, thus, the economic and material losses – in men and ships – would not add to the already dwindling Portuguese situation;
- The territorial losses of OTL would also not happen, remaining by 1640 the following territories – not recovered in our TL - in Portuguese hands: the Spice Islands, Malacca, Colombo, Ceylon, Naggappattinam, Cranganore and Cochin;
- While Portugal would certainly be unable to maintain its monopoly in the spices trade with East Asia, it would surely maintain a privileged position which would also contribute strongly to meliorate its economical situation.

Portugal would, not only not be drawn into the mentioned conflicts on the side of Spain, but would probably even get in bed with some of its OTL enemies. Portugal had a long standing alliance with the English (still in place today as the oldest alliance in existence) which would, most probably help in the fight against the Spanish to ensure Portugal’s independence. Also, since the Dutch were also fighting the Spanish for their own independence since 1568 some kind of understanding between Portugal and the Dutch Republic is also not a possibility to frown upon. At least the attention of the Dutch would be focused on the Spanish Colonial Empire (not the Portuguese) and, while is probable that the Dutch would still get some territory in India and what is now-a-days Indonesia, they would probably attack more severely the West Indies and, maybe, the Philippines.

I think i disagree regarding England.

While long-lasting, the alliance between England and Portugal isn't invulnerable. The English were quite upset with both Spain and Portugal because of the Treaty of Tordesillas, which excluded them from the ultra-maritime colonization and trade. The English and the Dutch (and the French, but the French didn't have much of a fleet at this point). This was precisely one of the reasons the Portuguese nobility favoured the union with Spain, to obtain the help of the Spanish fleet in the protection of the trade routes.

It's true that Portugal might be able to stay at least neutral in the conflicts between Spain and England/United Provinces, but they would still suffer the harassment of English/Dutch/French corsairs and privateers.
Keeping the Asian posessions would be much easier, too.

I'm intrigued as to what would be the answer of a colony-focused Portugal to the Japanese expulsion (which would happen regardless of the strength of Portugal, as it was part of the plan of the Shogunate for Japan). :D

I think i disagree regarding England.

While long-lasting, the alliance between England and Portugal isn't invulnerable. The English were quite upset with both Spain and Portugal because of the Treaty of Tordesillas, which excluded them from the ultra-maritime colonization and trade. The English and the Dutch (and the French, but the French didn't have much of a fleet at this point). This was precisely one of the reasons the Portuguese nobility favoured the union with Spain, to obtain the help of the Spanish fleet in the protection of the trade routes.

It's true that Portugal might be able to stay at least neutral in the conflicts between Spain and England/United Provinces, but they would still suffer the harassment of English/Dutch/French corsairs and privateers.
Keeping the Asian posessions would be much easier, too.

I'm intrigued as to what would be the answer of a colony-focused Portugal to the Japanese expulsion (which would happen regardless of the strength of Portugal, as it was part of the plan of the Shogunate for Japan). :D

Thanks for your input.

Regarding your note about the alliance with England I agree with you. For most of its existence it was basically more of an opportunistic alliance the English had within the greater scope of their strategy aimed at Europe: His/Her Majesties Government always used the strategy of divide to rule regarding Continental Europe.

And I also agree with you on the matter of the English, French and Dutch position regarding the Treaty of Tordesillas. However I do not think that this particular point would have much impact on the English behavior. My reasoning behind this opinion is the following:
- Short term goals (stopping the creation of a much more powerful Iberian state that would amalgamate the two more powerful naval powers at the time – again the traditional English strategy against the rising of too powerful continental powers) would overlap medium/short term goals (overseas territorial expansion and trade) and
- The wanna be naval powers of the time (England, France, the Dutch) while being upset with the Tordesillas Treaty didn’t directly act against it – there were no wars fought against either Spain or Portugal fuelled by that matter alone, while it did help to increase the resentment against the Iberian kingdoms).

Also, as I mentioned before, I don’t believe the Portuguese would have a free ride, specially in their trade monopoly with Asia. Surely there would be problems with pirates and an ever increasing competition from the northern european powers but I think that without getting involved with in the Spanish conflicts with them things would proceed much more smoothly for the Portuguese in that regard. Probably there would come to be some flashpoints with the Ducth (probably over the spice islands) and the English (India) the the Portuguese Eastern Empire would probably not go down the drain as it did in our TL.

Thus I think having the English throwing their weight on behalf of Pedro I is not that farfetched – in OTL he escaped to England where he tried to get the support of the English Crown in his struggle for an independent Portugal. So, after the Battle of Alcântara is won by the Portuguese Nationalists led by Pedro I, he would surely seek the help of allies for the coming struggle against Philip II of Spain. The logical thing to do would be to send ambassadors to the English and French Courts and to the Dutch rebels, seeking for support to his cause.

From the Dutch I don’t see any practical results coming from it, at least not at first – maybe some coordination of naval strategy more down the line – but it would not be ASB to have the English and the French, both powers always jumped at the possibility to bring the Spanish down a notch or two, sent some material help to the Portuguese independentists. Following this logic, it is not hard to imagine the Spanish sending a major army and fleet to surround Lisbon and the Portuguese defending with the help of regular – by regular I mean officially sent by the English monarch - English troops and ships and well as some French mercenaries and privateers.

Now... there’s a TL starting to take shape...

Also a very interesting point regarding Japan. Surely the Shogunate was eager to expel the Portuguese from Japan, but not only the Portuguese, all the foreigners. Since the Portuguese presence in Japan was basically business driven and they had no territorial interest there (like they had in China – Macau – and India) as a consequence of the better relationship with the Dutch it is possible to imagine some kind of cooperation, maybe even including the English, to force the Japanese to open up their ports for trade with the western powers. Could we even see a Japan opened to Western influence modernizing a couple of centuries earlier than it did in our TL? Don’t forget that not much time passed since the first Portuguese ships made landfall on Japanese lands – introducing them to the concept of firearms – and the moment they starting manufacturing their own versions of those early gunpowder weapons.

Last edited:

Very fair points. I see difficulty in saying what would be the reaction of the English about a more successful independentist party in Portugal. They would be probably wishing both oceanic powers would spend each other, and what would be the best course of action? neutrality or helping the weaker side (basically a 30 years war in advance)? They could also try to broker a treaty between both sides.
In any case, your solution is very reasonable. If you decide to make a TL out of it, i'll be looking forward to it.

And yes, that's what i was picturing, an opening of Japan to the world 400 years early, not really a conquest, hehe. The effects of a Japan more involved in the Asian and World politics (even if they could start as a satellite of the Portuguese, English and Dutch) would send beautiful waves of butterflies :D
Also, if the Japanese, during their expulsion of the western elements, hurt the new christian communities, that could set the Portuguese to take more direct action, depending on how religious the Portuguese king is.

Yes, an opened Japan to the world at the ending of the XVI century would surely be a very interesting scenario to play with. I rather like your suggestion of a satellized Japan to the Western powers to beggin with. I can imagine a first atempt by the Shogunate to expell the “foreign devils” would still be aimed at the Portuguese – the Portuguese besides engaging in trade in Japanhad the annoying habit of trying to convert the local populations, which was one of the reasons the Dutch used to advance their cause with the Japanese authorities to expell the Portuguese, saying it the conversions were undermining the natural order of things and the local authority structure. Even without direct conflict between the Portuguese and the Ducth and English, I guess it would only be natural for the Protestant powers to use the “religious influnce” gambit as leverage in their atemp to get a pie of the trade with Japan.

Neverthless eventually we would see the expelling of all forgneirs and an atempt to close Japan to outide influence like in OTL. Maybe the events take place at the same time, or in a rather short timespan, and the three European powers realize that individually they have no chance to change the corse of events but together they might just be able to force Japan to open up to outside trade. This might lead to a joint expedition sailing from the Portuguese port of Macau, shelling the main coastal towns of Japan and landing troops to underline their intentions. However I do not see the possibility of really ocupying and holding the entire islands. Maybe a sattelized government, as you suggested, and each of the three European powers getting a lease of a harbour town (Like Macau and Hong Kong in China)?

Than a century down the line, and after the Japanese leadership realizes that they need to adapt and adopt the modern technologies the white men broguht with them would be the only way to eventually be able to look them in the eyes from a equal standing (OTL Japan as already shown us more than once their ability to rather quicky adapt and incorporate modern ideas, technologies and social developments while still holding to their traditional values and culture). Thus we could have a Japan standing up to the Western powers by the end of the XVII Century (Instead of OTL XIX Century).

Another possibility is Korea. With the news arriving from Japan, the Korean king realizes he needs to do something or his kingdom will go down the same path as Japan. So Korea receives the western traders with open arms and takes the opportunity coming from trading with Europe to embark in an accelerated modernization program. There could eventually be some leakege to China maybe (Korea is a vassal state of the Chinese empire at this point in time if I’m not mistaken).

Well, if were talking about a Portugal that is deliberately trying to avoid costly wars a/o conflicts with other European powerhouses, then perhaps the small country would come out of the 1600's as a true model country for foriegn goverments and such.

One thing that would, as already discussed, realy strengthen Portugal is maintaining close ties with England. Doing so might put them at odds with Spain and sometimes France, but it will ultimatly leave the Dutch in a very bad situation. The small protestant stronghold can compromise with or try to hold out against the occasional invasions by Spain, France, and sometimes both. Chances are that despite their resentment towards the Catholic neighbor of the despised Spain, the United Provinces would be more then willing to form an alliance with England.

Competition between Portugal and the Dutch for the position as Englands "Right Hand Man" would emerge the blink of a eye.

You know, I feel obligated to mention the elephant in the room. Philip II in this scenario isn't going to just lie down and take it--Portugal has traded Spain as a occasionally disasterous overlord for Spain as an active enemy. That does not bode well for the Portuguese trade empire, especially as it still suffers from the same problems that lead to its decline in the first place.

Than a century down the line, and after the Japanese leadership realizes that they need to adapt and adopt the modern technologies the white men broguht with them would be the only way to eventually be able to look them in the eyes from a equal standing (OTL Japan as already shown us more than once their ability to rather quicky adapt and incorporate modern ideas, technologies and social developments while still holding to their traditional values and culture). Thus we could have a Japan standing up to the Western powers by the end of the XVII Century (Instead of OTL XIX Century).

That's a very interesting scenario. Japan is very flexible, and surely wouldn't remain in a subordinate role for long. Which is, i think, the problem China had, being a lot more rigid, and eventually stagnant.

You know, I feel obligated to mention the elephant in the room. Philip II in this scenario isn't going to just lie down and take it--Portugal has traded Spain as a occasionally disasterous overlord for Spain as an active enemy. That does not bode well for the Portuguese trade empire, especially as it still suffers from the same problems that lead to its decline in the first place.
Hehe indeed. The tercios probably will remain the best land army of the era. at least until their twilight in mid-XVII, when the rest of the world catches up to Spain. But not even the tercios managed to completely subdue France, which was Spain's main enemy at the time, so an appropriately supported Portugal could keep its territorial integrity. Mostly.

So, Portugal probably cannot afford being an active enemy of Spain. But neither does Spain.
Spain's crux are the territories on the other side of France: the supply lines from Milan to the United Provinces passing through the French County were incredibly expensive to sustain. As long as Phillip II is mired in this crazy policy of besieging France, Portugal might remain independent simply by keeping neutrality in European matters.

You know, I feel obligated to mention the elephant in the room. Philip II in this scenario isn't going to just lie down and take it--Portugal has traded Spain as a occasionally disasterous overlord for Spain as an active enemy.

Agreed. If you look closer to my previous posts I mention that exactly. Surely a war would follow and the Spanish would have to suffer a lot of pain before Phillip II accepts he cannot dominate Portugal.

Agreed. If you look closer to my previous posts I mention that exactly. Surely a war would follow and the Spanish would have to suffer a lot of pain before Phillip II accepts he cannot dominate Portugal.

That's the problem. Portugal can't endure a war against Spain by 1580. The kingdom had lost the army and the best troops due to the adventure of Sebastian in Morocco, and was also financially broken. Also, Anthony isn't a likely candidate to unify the country. Part of the nobility saw him as a bastard, and supported the Duchess of Braganza instead. But the real problem is that Philip II spent a lot of resources paying ransoms of nobles who had been capture in the Moroccan war, and they and their families felt that they should support the Spanis king as gratitude. Finally, king Henry himself declared that Philip II would be a better king than Anthony.

I'm my attempted TL that is in my signature I tried to solve this by having Sebastian survive the war, and so avoiding the whole succession crisis of 1578-1580. Or you could make him marry before going to war, and having an infant heir (that would be interesting too, all the conflicts regarding the regency).

Anyway, that is a subject that I'm most interested, and surely would follow a TL about this if you try to write it. :)

Hi Gonzaga,

Thanks for your input.

All you say is true. The best of the Portuguese military were lost on the Moroccan adventure of Sebastian and your remarks regarding the nobility are also true.

Thus said, Antonio would have to rely on the support of the lower nobility that did escape or simply did not embark to Morocco with former king Sebastião and the newer generations of the high nobility families that were too young to go Morroco. A successful claim by Antonio to the Portuguese throne would certainly lead to the fall of the principal noble families of the time, given their support of Phillip.

I also looked at Sebastião ant tried to find a POD related to him to avoid the succession crisis of 1578-1580 but honestly I kept coming to some kind of disaster that would lead to it anyway. The only choice would be a POD in Sebastião early years, while he was a child, which would lead to a different upbringing, different tutors and so on. In such a way that he is not a religious freak and close homosexual – he simply couldn’t stand being around women. But the point is: he was crazy, so if not religion, probably some other crazy idea would pour in his head: maybe trying a go at the Spanish throne for himself? Lol

Anyway thank you for your comment and let me tell you it really was a pity you never developed your Madness and Greatness TL further. Also, you showed to have really have deep knowledge of the Portuguese history if that time. Looking forward to any further contributions.

Cumprimentos.

I think you're also missing my point--if, through some incredible miracle, Portugal is holding off Philip in Portugal proper, what's to stop him from attacking their trade empire?

And relying on France in 1580 is... well, ask the Dutch. But simple version--it's Wars of Religion time.

I also looked at Sebastião ant tried to find a POD related to him to avoid the succession crisis of 1578-1580 but honestly I kept coming to some kind of disaster that would lead to it anyway. The only choice would be a POD in Sebastião early years, while he was a child, which would lead to a different upbringing, different tutors and so on. In such a way that he is not a religious freak and close homosexual – he simply couldn’t stand being around women. But the point is: he was crazy, so if not religion, probably some other crazy idea would pour in his head: maybe trying a go at the Spanish throne for himself? Lol

Well, and what about having other option as candidate for king of Portugal instead of António? As far as I know the problem of his claim is that he was considered a bastard, and many in the nobility didn't support him due to it. But WI Infante Duarte II, Duke of Guimarães, had lived longer? He as a direct male descendent of Manuel I (as António) but his line was legitimate.

Anyway thank you for your comment and let me tell you it really was a pity you never developed your Madness and Greatness TL further. Also, you showed to have really have deep knowledge of the Portuguese history if that time. Looking forward to any further contributions.

One day I may resurrect Madness and Greatness. If I change my job in the next months, as I'm planning to do, I'll have more free time to research and write it.

I'm not sure I agree on the outcome for the Portuguese colonial empire. The India route was very expensive because of the way it was managed, and note even during the union the colonial empires were managed separately. In fact the loss of Ceylon and the growing threat of the Dutch is what prompted Portugal to improve the management of its Brazil colony. (IIRC the Portuguese in Brazil independently beat the Dutch around the fall of Ceylon without the help of the home land).

Also if you could somehow have Constantino de Sa not die tragically in battle, that would help.

I'm not sure I agree on the outcome for the Portuguese colonial empire. The India route was very expensive because of the way it was managed, and note even during the union the colonial empires were managed separately.
What do you mean? how was it managed (this might have an effect in an embryo of an idea of a TL i would like to do :D).