Australian marsupials that could have evolved into domesticable horse-like animals ?

Since I am reading Jared's Lands of Red and Gold again and I was thinking about native transport and distances in that TL, a simple thought had suddenly occured to me :

WI, in an ATL, some marsupial species had evolved into a sufficiently horse-like or camelid-like creature ?

Simply put, into a creature that an eventual native Australian civilization (one evolved along the same early patterns as the cultures in LORAG, for instance) could tame, domesticate and use. Use as a beast of burden and as a cavalry animal.

Which OTL extinct species could be best suited to this kind of evolution ?

Please, be creative and don't give me lazy answers like "let the Aborigines wait for imported horses and camels".

Last edited:
The thylacine was a bit too slender for that. And I think a herbivore would fit the needs for such an animal far better. Predatory mammals have an entirely differently suited psychology. Jokes aside, there's a reason why OTL people never rode bears, jackals, wolves or any other big predatory mammals.

I plan to look into some relatively recent Cenozoic Australian marsupial megafauna that could have made it and evolved further into something you can put a rider on. I'm thinking of something like a latter-day Holocene species, descended from the earlier giant wombats found at famous dig sites, such as Riversleigh. After all, some of this megafauna survived for surprisingly long - IIRC, one of the late giant wombat grazer species (like Diprotodon) and the equally wombat-derived Thylacoleo "marsupial lion" (a species descended from Priscileo) were still alive and well when humans first came to Australia 40 000 years ago.

Last edited:
The thylacine was a bit too slender for that. And I think a herbivore would fit the needs for such an animal far better. Predatory mammals have an entirely differently suited psychology. Jokes aside, there's a reason why OTL people never rode bears, jackals, wolves or any other big predatory mammals.

Why limit yourself to mammals if domesticating Australian megafauna?

These were still around when people first went to Australia: http://www.dinosaurjungle.com/prehistoric_animals_varanus_priscus.php

Okay, probably not technically possible, but heck it would be fun

Why limit yourself to mammals if domesticating Australian megafauna ?

Because marsupial predators as cavalry animals is already stretching it enough ? :rolleyes: As Jared has already noted in LORAG, despite his best efforts, it is impossible to tame emus for riding and pulling carts and kangaroos are also out of the question. And since I am going for plausibility, I don't want or need suggestions worthy of a Final Fantasy pitch. No cute chocobos or Yoshis, I want reasonably realistic suggestions.

So, for starters, we'll try to look at some of those extinct species of giant wombats...

I think that Hobbits could probably have ridden short faced Kangaroos. Homo Sapiens I'm guessing couldn't though. (Except maybe very small jockey types.)

The big wombats, of which Diprotodon is the most famous (though by no means the only) example are probably your best bet here, although I'm not sure how readily domesticable they'd be. Alternatively, one could check out the Marsupial Elephant (now mostly referred to as "Marsupial Tapir", but I prefer the old name!) Palorchestes, which was a very odd animal that filled the niche occupied by ground sloths in the Americas.

I've read that thylacines could be tamed, though they're not really suited for hunting big animals in the way that dogs are, so I'm not sure how useful they'd really be as tamed animals. That said, if one can tame Thylacinus Cynocephalus, it might make it at least within the bounds of possibility to tame Thylacoleo Carnifex. Which, if someone pulled it off in a TL, would probably make my year.

The big wombats, of which Diprotodon is the most famous (though by no means the only) example are probably your best bet here, although I'm not sure how readily domesticable they'd be. Alternatively, one could check out the Marsupial Elephant (now mostly referred to as "Marsupial Tapir", but I prefer the old name!) Palorchestes, which was a very odd animal that filled the niche occupied by ground sloths in the Americas.

Thank you, I'm always eager to learn about Australian prehistoric mammals I haven't heard of yet. :cool: (They get so little love, even from paleofans... :()

I've read that thylacines could be tamed, though they're not really suited for hunting big animals in the way that dogs are, so I'm not sure how useful they'd really be as tamed animals. That said, if one can tame Thylacinus Cynocephalus, it might make it at least within the bounds of possibility to tame Thylacoleo Carnifex. Which, if someone pulled it off in a TL, would probably make my year.

Jared did make quolls domesticated in LORAG. I'm currently working on a drawing of the various landbreeds that were the result of said domestication.

the selection of suitable prehistoric marsupials is kinda sparse, so Palorchestes and Diprotodon would be the best bets. Hey, why not both? Palorchestes as the smaller riding/cart pulling animal, Diprotodon for the big draft animal. That might be pushing it, but it would certainly give the natives a leg up...

the selection of suitable prehistoric marsupials is kinda sparse, so Palorchestes and Diprotodon would be the best bets. Hey, why not both? Palorchestes as the smaller riding/cart pulling animal, Diprotodon for the big draft animal. That might be pushing it, but it would certainly give the natives a leg up...

Yes, that alternative has also crossed my mind. So : Make the two species somehow survive before the natives inadvertently wipe them out, and then len them get domesticated once the natives reach the later, more advanced stages of prehistory.

of course, domestic animals aren't all that much if you don't also have grain and vegetables too. Might have to invent some of those in order for the natives to have a need for domestic animals...

of course, domestic animals aren't all that much if you don't also have grain and vegetables too. Might have to invent some of those in order for the natives to have a need for domestic animals...

As I've said, I'm assuming the same basic scenario occurs as in Lands of Red and Gold (i.e. red yams, then other crops, then crafts and civilization, etc., etc.). The only big change to it is that there is another and earlier POD even deeper in prehistory (prior to human settlement of Australia), leading to domesticable Australian megafauna for when future aboriginal agricultural civilizations emerge and will have uses for said megafauna.

I've already replied to whitecrow's question via PMs several days ago. Still, I'm reposting some of my musings :

"Ostriches ? True, but those are African ostriches and such cases are quite rare (especially riders, ostrich-drawn carts are more common). Also, you'd need to spend a lot of time to train even a single ostrich to do such work. Most of the cart-pulling ostriches were and are used in races on circuits, so I'm doubtful whether they'd be that good for hauling wagons for hundreds of kilometrers without acting extremely stubborn or not breaking a sweat.

Emus, while related, are not African ostriches. They're smaller, less muscular and generally harder to tame. Since Jared jossed carts drawn by emus in LORAG, I've decided to eliminate them as an option as well.

Moa imported from New Zealand are even less of an option - LORAG mentions repeatedly that their pea-sized brain and tendency to get spooked by anything they don't comprehened has made them not only impossible as draft and cavalry animals, but also improbable as domesticated creatures altogether (they always smash through fences and corrals, despite often mortally wounding themselves). In short, they're too stupid.

However, if you have any plausible idea concerning native Australian megafauna as beasts of burden and ersatz-horses, I'm all ears. Don't be affraid to extrapolate a bit from one of the extinct-in-OTL giant marsupials. ;) I myself am already doing some drawings on how they could be tamed or evolve further into a more tamable/domesticable form. :)

whitecrow said:
Interesting points, though as far as I'm aware there was no selective breeding for ostriches to make them into good beasts of burden. It is possible that with thousands of years of domestication by a people that had no horses, ostriches/emus would be selectively breed to choose traits which make them good draft/riding animals. Unfortunately, I'm no expert on these birds and can't say just how successful these efforts would be or how long it would take.

I'm not too much of an expert either, but the evidence I've seen so far makes me doubtful about their usefulness in this particular area (i.e. beasts of burden).

whitecrow said:
As for Moas, I'd like to point out that chickens have tiny brains too and yet they are domesticable and can even be kept as pets. Unless Moa are somehow psychologically fundamentally different from ostriches, I don't why they couldn't be domesticated under right conditions.

True, but no one has ever relied on ckickens for pulling carts. ;) And have you ever ridden atop a chicken's back ? ;)

Chickens often manifest the same behaviour as moa - if they're firghtened, they'll try to get out of the location they feel is dangerous by running away in panic, often choosing nonsensical routes while doing so (TBH, panicing humans aren't much better in this regard, sadly :D).

While the chicken was indeed domesticated in OTL, it was for meat, eggs and (occasionally) feathers. The same goes for moas in LORAG - though they're just semi-domesticated wild game there, living both in New Zealand and in eastern Australia (after they get exported from the latter as game for royal hunting parties).

whitecrow said:
This reminds me of a rebuttal of Guns, Germs, and Steel I've seen on this site. Jared Diamond says that zebras are impossible to domesticate, so Africans missed out on getting a horse analog. But it was pointed out here that zebras can in fact be tamed and that there is no evidance that zebras are more agressive/harder to tame than wild horses. And since domestication in progressive taming over multiple generations, there seems to be no reason why you in theory couldn't domesticate zebras. Why that did not happen in OTL is another question.

My personal theory is linked to the abundance of infected tsetse flies south of the equator: It made horses very rare there, and most of the poorer native states and empires that formed in subequatorial Africa (e.g. most Bantu countries of southern Africa) couldn't afford them. And, as much as no agriculture developed in OTL Australia due to a lack of founder crops, no zebra-taming developed in Africa due to a lack of tradition in raising horses or similar equines.

With less infected tsetse flies, a bigger and longer horse-keeping tradition could develop and eventually lead to some progress in zebra domestication: With zebras probably being bred into an equine not unlike a donkey or sumpter (in terms of outward appearance). The breeding might involve interbreeding with horses, leading to analogues of OTL zebroids (fertility would be an issue, though). All of this could eventually lead to a lowering of the natives' dependance on imported horses. But there are several serious problems along the way when it comes to zebra domestication.

Speaking of a POD that diminishes and eliminates tsetse flies, here's an older but interesting discussion about the topic:

https://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=160971

Just please don't necro it, it's really over 4 years old. ;) Still, an interesting read.

whitecrow said:
As for ideas for other draft animals. Well here is one that came up in the last potential Australian domesticates" thread I took part in (this one is probably ASB, but still interesting to consider).

Some fringe "scientists" argue that Gigantopithecus blacki made it from South-East Asia to Australia and spawned various Australian aborigines legends & descriptions of Yowie. Now let's for a second assume that the fringe is right and this creature...

...made it to Australia and managed to adopt to the local conditions. Can you just imagine what the aborigines woukld be able to do if they found a way to domesticate/tame the Gigantopithecus? Riding seems like only the tip of the iceberg here...

I could see gigantopitecus being used for slave labour (frankly, what else), but as a draft animal... Just no. It's a big ol' ape. It's not even good at walking on all fours for an extended amount of time. To make it into an efficient cart or travois puller would take far more patience than with a ratite.

And, even moreso than with birds, I think one ape would not be willing to be used as a horse by another ape. ;) :D"

according to newer research Palorchestes didnt have a trunk, but a normal snout, it looked very strange neverthless.
but yeah, either it or Diprotodon are most likely to get domesticated. I am sure it would be doable to breed them for food, not sure about being used as mount or beast of burden.
alternatives would be Phascolonus (relative of Diprotodon, but not was tall )
Zygomaturus (smaller relative of diprotodon, probably it had horns on its nose)
Euryzygoma (sheep sized diprotodon relative)

None of these however is comparable to horses, they rather resemble lifestock like cattle or sheeps, in their stature and body type.

In case you missed it, I replied to your latest counterarguments in a PM as well.

I didn't miss it, I just wanted to share our discussion on the topic with the others. :) Besides, it would be kind of impolite if I continued this thread without answering your question in it.

alternatives would be Phascolonus (relative of Diprotodon, but not was tall), Zygomaturus (smaller relative of diprotodon, probably it had horns on its nose), Euryzygoma (sheep sized diprotodon relative).

Very cool recommendations ! Thanks ! :cool:

None of these however is comparable to horses, they rather resemble lifestock like cattle or sheeps, in their stature and body type.

Well, I was thinking of "cavalry" in the sence of yaks or reindeer - not exactly armoured knightly chargers, but still good as "troop transports" for army supply trains or for mounted infantry used in scouting. ;) :cool:

OK, here's a makeshift concept of what a Yadji warrior from LORAG might look like while riding a tamed descendant of the Palorchestes. :D Yes, the two pictures don't really mesh together all that much, but use your imagination, people ! ;) A reworked version of the illustration I might do later could include a saddle under the Yadji fellow and a background diorama.

Yadji warrior artwork by Kaiphranos, modified by me. Palorchestes artwork by Graham Allen, modified by me (snout shortened per Berus' recommendations).

Yadji warrior (17th century) riding on a tamed Palorchestes (hypothetical spinoff).png

Last edited:
Yadji warrior artwork by Kaiphranos, modified by me. Palorchestes artwork by unknown author, modified by me (snout shortened per Berus' recommendations).

the picture is from "The MacMillan Illustrated Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs and Prehistoric Animals", a book that came out in the wake of Jurassic Park, IIRC, and pictures from it have shown up several times on here. According to the credits, this particular painting was done by Graham Allen, for what's it worth... :)