Richmond in a CS Victory.

How much exactly would Richmond's layout be changed by the fact that it becomes a national capitol in a CS victory?

Does the statehouse stay as such, or is it converted into the Confederate Capitol building? Is there something parallel to a National Mall? Or does the Capitol, the Virginia Statehouse and the "Whitehouse of the Confederacy" remain in a "Capitol Square" or change over time?

Is there a Monument Avenue?

How well defended is it after the Civil War?

I guess that government transfer capital to deeper south. It is quiet near border of US. And perhaps they found new capital and any state capital not become capital.

I guess that government transfer capital to deeper south. It is quiet near border of US. And perhaps they found new capital and any state capital not become capital.
Richmond was the price for Virginia to join the Confederacy because it was the most culturally, socially and militarily advanced at the time.

Wolfpaw

Banned
It's likely to remain a lightly-industrialized government campus similar to OTL's Washington D.C., only less populous. There will probably be monuments, but no big overhaul; that shit cost money, and the Confederal Government isn't going to have much of that to spend making some city in Virginia all pretty.

I would assume that Virginia removes its capital to Williamsburg or Fredericksburg. My money's on Williamsburg.

Horse racing is going to play a bigger role in Richmond life than D.C., though it was already very popular in both.

Anaxagoras

Banned
You'd have diplomatic missions from Britain, France, and the United States (would others bother?).

Last edited:

Zaitsev

Banned
I doubt it would change much. Last I remember the CSA wasn't to happy with a strong federal government and an expensive capital could be seen as a symbol of strong central authority.

I doubt it would change much. Last I remember the CSA wasn't to happy with a strong federal government and an expensive capital could be seen as a symbol of strong central authority.

While true, I do think they would renovate the statehouse grounds, probably build a new Capitol buidling. And put some statues of national heroes here and there to make it look nice.

Maybe statues of Jeff Davis, Robert E. Lee, Jackson, Longstreet and AS Johnston around the capitol alongside George Washington and Thomas Jefferson.

Anaxagoras

Banned
The Confederate Constitution includes the same provision for the creation of a federal district that was originally put into the United States Constitution. Does this mean that the Confederate Congress would eventually bring Richmond directly under the control of the central government? If so, could it legally continue as the capital of the state of Virginia as well?

They'd also need a place for the Supreme Court, when they finally got around to creating one.

Of course, you have to remember that the Union's in a worse position. DC snuggles right up next to Virginia - so if anything, the Union's going to move the capital, not the Confederacy.

Wolfpaw

Banned
Of course, you have to remember that the Union's in a worse position. DC snuggles right up next to Virginia - so if anything, the Union's going to move the capital, not the Confederacy.
Probably to Philadelphia. Maybe New York, but I really don't think people would go for that.

Probably to Philadelphia. Maybe New York, but I really don't think people would go for that.

They could go for the old "Let's Make a New Capital, so everyone's happy!" or they can go for a developing city in the midwest. I think I saw a thread about the Union's Capital after a CS victory somewhere around here.

EDIT: Here it is. Probably isn't the best thread ever, but I found it enjoyable.

Last edited:
They could go for the old "Let's Make a New Capital, so everyone's happy!" or they can go for a developing city in the midwest. I think I saw a thread about the Union's Capital after a CS victory somewhere around here.

EDIT: Here it is. Probably isn't the best thread ever, but I found it enjoyable.

I never understood this, where in the midwest would they put said new capitol? Ohio? I would guess not because of the CS holds Kentucky they are going to have the same problem they had in DC.

I like Turtledove's idea of having it in Philadelphia, it's the historic capitol of the United States and it contributes greatly to said national history and iconography.

This makes Washington's situation an interesting predicament, 90-100 miles both ways to two seperate national capitols.

I always thought somewhere in the Lake Michigan area would be were it gets move to as its closer to being in the center of the country at that time. This was the case with Washington's location when the site was chosen.

Would Richmond change its name to Davis D.C.?

No way, Richmond is hugely important as a historic testament to the Southern culture, and any attempt to seriously modify it would not go over very well.

That said, the city would grow pretty greatly immediately after the Union throws in the flag. Defense from the North will always be on the Confederacy's mind, so military industry will be certain to boom. Not to mention the rush of poor rural whites to the cities. Think about it; certain families will be certain to have profited greatly from the war, and will buy land up like there's no tomorrow, and use their unpaid laborers to work said land. A rough parallel of England's Enclosure and the social changes that followed. For a couple generations following the war, huge ghettoes of landless whites will be pretty common in most major Southern cities, and you better believe that the CS government would turn a blind eye to their plight (for a while, at least). Populism, or some alternate analog of it, would spread like wildfire among this new social class, and radical ideas might emerge.

Deleted member 14881

No way, Richmond is hugely important as a historic testament to the Southern culture, and any attempt to seriously modify it would not go over very well.

That said, the city would grow pretty greatly immediately after the Union throws in the flag. Defense from the North will always be on the Confederacy's mind, so military industry will be certain to boom. Not to mention the rush of poor rural whites to the cities. Think about it; certain families will be certain to have profited greatly from the war, and will buy land up like there's no tomorrow, and use their unpaid laborers to work said land. A rough parallel of England's Enclosure and the social changes that followed. For a couple generations following the war, huge ghettoes of landless whites will be pretty common in most major Southern cities, and you better believe that the CS government would turn a blind eye to their plight (for a while, at least). Populism, or some alternate analog of it, would spread like wildfire among this new social class, and radical ideas might emerge.

Would this Populism try to Nationalize Slaves?

I would assume that Virginia removes its capital to Williamsburg or Fredericksburg. My money's on Williamsburg.

I think Lynchburg would probably be a better candidate. IOTL, it was the only major Virginian city not to fall, and it's nice and centrally located. IIRC, it was also always expected to become important, but never did.