AHC/WI: Tolkien of Arabia?

Bear with me...

Would it have been possible for J. R. R. Tolkien (either after or instead of his service in France) to have been assigned to the Arab Revolt alongside T. E. Lawrence? Perhaps after seeing service in the Western Front he angers a superior who sends him to Cairo, believing his skill in linguistics and inventing code might prove useful to Murray or Allenby.

I don't know... help me with some ideas on that one?

If it is possible, how does Tolkien's life differ? (By the way, I'm going on the assumption that his academic career post war is the same. He still becomes the professor and author we know and love, but rather than finish the last years of WW1 in hospitals, he finishes them in the desert.)

How does the story of Lawrence of Arabia and the Arab Revolt change with this additional player? What effect does this service have on his future writing, assuming he survives and still writes something at least structurally similar to The Lord of the Rings?

If he fights under T. E. Lawrence he would eventually become rather well known. Who might portray Tolkien in David Lean's adaptation of Lawrence's memoirs?

Tolkien's time in the desert will not effect his desire to create a uniquely British mythology, surely. But might it effect - say - the Easterlings or Haradrim? Might the forces of Gondor perhaps have had the aid of a strong and proud desert people out of the east whose loyalty is to none but themselves but whose fate is tied to the West?

At the very least would there be fewer criticisms about his at minimum xenophobia, at worst outright racism? And would such an attitude broaden the appeal of his writing in particular and fantasy in general to a larger audience with more racial diversity?

Is this not the most badass idea ever?

Incognito

Banned
I don't know enough about Tolkien's view of Arabs to say one way or the other, but why are we assuming that spending time in Arabia will automatically make his view of them better? :confused:

I know of examples where once a person was exposed to a culture/ethnic group that they previously knew little about ended with the person having a more negative view of said group than they did before the ordeal.

I don't know enough about Tolkien's view of Arabs to say one way or the other, but why are we assuming that spending time in Arabia will automatically make his view of them better? :confused:

I know of examples where once a person was exposed to a culture/ethnic group that they previously knew little about ended with the person having a more negative view of said group than they did before the ordeal.

I'm not saying his view of them was especially poor OTL, only that some critics of his writing have noted the high possibility of such views.

If he indeed had some... er... racial misgivings we'll call it, a man of such high intelligence and compassion could not interact with Prince Faisal or T.E. Lawrence and not come to admire these men.

At least, that's the stipulation I'll make. We'll assume no intended racism on the part of OTL's Prof. Tolkien, and we'll also allow for increased respect and admiration for the Arab people post-war. Is that taking too much license, do you think?

I'm not saying his view of them was especially poor OTL, only that some critics of his writing have noted the high possibility of such views.

If he indeed had some... er... racial misgivings we'll call it, a man of such high intelligence and compassion could not interact with Prince Faisal or T.E. Lawrence and not come to admire these men.

At least, that's the stipulation I'll make. We'll assume no intended racism on the part of OTL's Prof. Tolkien, and we'll also allow for increased respect and admiration for the Arab people post-war. Is that taking too much license, do you think?
Well if he doesnt, then he wouldnt be a very good liaison i think.

His work wouldn't be much affected, IMO. He wanted to write about Saxon sagas so exposure to islam wouldn't change that.

What might happen, if he develops negative attitude toward them, is that Sauron (and Melkor) would be worshipped as gods by their subjects.

His work wouldn't be much affected, IMO. He wanted to write about Saxon sagas so exposure to islam wouldn't change that.

What might happen, if he develops negative attitude toward them, is that Sauron (and Melkor) would be worshipped as gods by their subjects.

That's a rather nasty thought.

Isn't some degree of Sauron worship implied in the books, though?

On the positive side of things, I'm wondering how he might work non-Sauronic Haradrim into the story. Maybe have some show up to defend Minas Tirith with the rest of the Gondorian muster, and give a couple of Dol Amroth's lines to a captain out of Harondor (the border province between Gondor and Harad realms) in some of the city scenes? Aragorn could go into a bit more detail about his travels in the lands below the equator, too, I suppose.

The Haradrim just got themselves a whole bigger role in the legendarium. :D

By both Middlearthers (especially the more decadent or conceited Númenoreans) and some Haradrim (rulers, chieftains) that were led astray by Sauron's lies and alluring promises, yes. The only named nazgul, Khamul, was said to be a king or chieftain of some of the Easterling human nations. So yeah, Sauron pretty much tried to recruit or enslave gullible servants from all human nations in Arda. He nearly got away with manipulating the Noldorin elves to his own ends, but they got better and resisted before he could do more harm (remember, it was them who forged the 19 rings of power, having no idea at first that Sauron was forging his own master ring to enslave all the elven-made ones, trying to turn the leaders of the dwarves, humans and elves against each other or sway them to his side).

Sauron and Melkor woship is what brought about the revolt of Ar-Pharazon, the civil war of the Númenoreans and their split into the corrupted Black Númenoreans and The Faithful. Once Númenor went the way of Atlantis and Sauron lost his physical form in the catastrophe and went dormant, the Faithful (led by Elendil) returned to Middle Earth, made peace with the nations they had been opressing prior to that and formed the basis of future Gondor and Arnor. What survived of the Black Númenoreans fled south and started a colony in what became Umbar. They were later bolstered by various dissenters and revanchists from Gondors later history (especially the era after Arnor had fallen and the southern royal line died out, replaced by the office of the stewards).

Last edited:
That's a rather nasty thought.

It is. It might be more pronounced and clear.

Also likely no Dead Marshes (if he isn't in France) and some flat, waterless plain inhibited by nasty nomads who attack anybody who isn't their own kind. Could be different Haradrim.