Dynastical union between England and Castille

It could've happened certainly somewhen during the Middle Age... both the Plantagenets and the Trastamara dynasties died out. If the relations between those nations had been better (maybe after 1350, king Peter keeps his throne thanks to English help), they could forming dynastical bonds with them later and even later one dynasty inherits the other one's lands.

How would that new super-state influence Europe's politics? They certainly be in constant fight with France... does that mean Germany and Italy stay more on the side and can develop undisturbed while the two big ones duke it out?

I can't imagine this working for a long time...

I guess England would have stayed katholic.

but I can't imagine both countries growing into one Nation.

England and Castile were frequently allies - look at the marriages, right up till Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon (whose mom, remember, was Queen of Castile), and for that matter Mary and Philip.

Since neither followed Salic Law, a convenient death or two could easily have joined the dynasties. A superstate enduring into modern times would be unlikely, but a union of dynasties could certainly have produced a formidable alliance.

-- Rick

I guess that union could hold France in a lock practically as long as their union holds. At that time there's no power to match them... Austria is too weak at that time, and if they own Burgundy, they're also natural concurrents to France. Italy and Germany are split, Scandinavian states, Scotland and Portugal are too weak, Russia, Poland and Hungary aren't that strong too, and too far away. The only escape for France I can see (besides trying to split England-Castille again) is doing realpolitik and make an alliance with the Muslims in North Africa. Since Aragon made such an alliance with Egypt as early as 1290, that's not completely impossible, though.

France would certainly ally with Muslims if it had to. Didn't the Turkish fleet winter over in Toulon in 1545 or thereabouts? Realpolitik may be a German word, but it's a thoroughly French idea. :D

-- Rick