WI:Korean Sakhalin?

What if the Korean kingdom of Balhae discovered Sakhalin following its northrn expansion?

Dae Insu, also known as King Seon (r. 818-830) was the 10th king of the Korean kingdom of Balhae. He restored national strength, and is remembered today as the last of the great Balhae rulers before its fall.

He reigned for 12 years and expanded the borders of Balhae to Primorsky Krai with intention of absorbing the Mohe, and Malgal peoples.

What if in the 10th year of his reign he learned of Sakhalin from coastal peoples(possibly Tartars or Nivks) and sent a ship to find, subjugate, and establish a fort on the island which a force of 100 succeed in doing?

Post King Seon

Balhae continues to build several more forts and four towns are started. The Balhaeans start to get tribute from the Ainu, Nivks and Ovorks and begin a process of absorbing them as well like the Mohe.

How this affect east asian history? Will it affect the fall of Balhae?

What if the Korean kingdom of Balhae discovered Sakhalin following its northrn expansion?

Probably a few trading posts, but nothing more.

Dae Insu, also known as King Seon (r. 818-830) was the 10th king of the Korean kingdom of Balhae. He restored national strength, and is remembered today as the last of the great Balhae rulers before its fall.

He reigned for 12 years and expanded the borders of Balhae to Primorsky Krai with intention of absorbing the Mohe, and Malgal peoples.

Balhae rulers considered themselves to be emperors, and most of them had era and posthumous names, which were not assigned to kings. Mohe (Chinese) = Malgal (Korean), and their specific identity is unknown due to sparse extant records, and they were probably a loose grouping of various tribes across Manchuria regardless of their cultural/ethnic identities. Although the vast majority of former Goguryeo citizens (~3 million) remained in Southern Manchuria, numerous inhabitants within Manchuria and the Northern Korean Peninsula, were labeled as "Mohe" in Chinese and Korean records. In other words, the "Mohe" were probably either former Goguryeo citizens, or locals who had been culturally assimilated into Goguryeo over time, which would explain why Balhae was able to expand so quickly within a century or two.

What if in the 10th year of his reign he learned of Sakhalin from coastal peoples(possibly Tartars or Nivks) and sent a ship to find, subjugate, and establish a fort on the island which a force of 100 succeed in doing?

Post King Seon

Balhae continues to build several more forts and four towns are started. The Balhaeans start to get tribute from the Ainu, Nivks and Ovorks and begin a process of absorbing them as well like the Mohe.

How this affect east asian history? Will it affect the fall of Balhae?

There might be evidence for future archaeologists to pick up, but it probably wouldn't make a difference in the long term. Although Balhae gradually expanded into areas that Goguryeo directly or indirectly controlled, and possibly took over into areas that Goguryeo originally did not control, its accomplishments ultimately meant nothing after the Khitan conquered the state in 926. Its collapse was also probably accelerated due to an eruption on Mount Baekdu, which would need to be butterflied away for any major changes to occur. While a rump state might be established in Sakhalin, the vast majority of inhabitants would probably still flee to Goryeo, or remain in Manchuria.

In addition, virtually nothing is known about Balhae except for a few sparse details within several secondary sources here and there, as the primary resources were destroyed during the Khitan incursions, so I don't think it's possible to assume that drastic changes will occur with that specific PoD.

Seemed like large numbers looking for a place to flee to and the Royalty on the run gives a Rump Sakhalin Balhae a great likihood.

I declare it so.

Sak Balhae shall be its name.

I would guess a royal would flee there to establish a throne but could it last? Sak Balhae doesn't seem to have any likely threats till the Yuan era. I don't see the Khitan trying hard to defeat it. It will trade with japan eventually but can it grow? How large is Sakhalin?

Seemed like large numbers looking for a place to flee to and the Royalty on the run gives a Rump Sakhalin Balhae a great likihood.

As I stated earlier, there is no particular reason for the nobility to flee to Sakhalin. The state expanded in size because the regions were relatively settled and/or had been influenced by Goguryeo, and Balhae migrants fled to Goryeo in mass numbers because it was culturally, linguistically, and/or ethnically similar. None of these conditions would be prevalent in Sakhalin, and the inhabitants would have to establish new settlements from the ground up, which would be extremely undesirable.

I declare it so.

Sak Balhae shall be its name.

This is anachronistic, as "Sakhalin" is taken from the Russian language. Although "Sak" is technically a valid Sino-Korean syllable, you would have to find a character having a suitable meaning with that pronunciation in Korean, which would be difficult. As a comparison, Balhae was originally called Jin in 698, and officially changed its name to Balhae in 713 after the Tang acknowledged its existence. Neither name was technically "related" etymologically to "Goguryeo."

I would guess a royal would flee there to establish a throne but could it last? Sak Balhae doesn't seem to have any likely threats till the Yuan era. I don't see the Khitan trying hard to defeat it. It will trade with japan eventually but can it grow? How large is Sakhalin?

Unless you're telling me that about 100,000-500,000 migrants will flee to the island within 50 years or so, which is highly unlikely given the above, I don't think that this rump state will last more than a century, if not a few decades, and the migrants will probably be assimilated into the local cultures.

As I stated earlier, there is no particular reason for the nobility to flee to Sakhalin. The state expanded in size because the regions were relatively settled and/or had been influenced by Goguryeo, and Balhae migrants fled to Goryeo in mass numbers because it was culturally, linguistically, and/or ethnically similar. None of these conditions would be prevalent in Sakhalin, and the inhabitants would have to establish new settlements from the ground up, which would be extremely undesirable.

This is anachronistic, as "Sakhalin" is taken from the Russian language. Although "Sak" is technically a valid Sino-Korean syllable, you would have to find a character having a suitable meaning with that pronunciation in Korean, which would be difficult. As a comparison, Balhae was originally called Jin in 698, and officially changed its name to Balhae in 713 after the Tang acknowledged its existence. Neither name was technically "related" etymologically to "Goguryeo."

Unless you're telling me that about 100,000-500,000 migrants will flee to the island within 50 years or so, which is highly unlikely given the above, I don't think that this rump state will last more than a century, if not a few decades, and the inhabitants will probably be assimilated into the local cultures.
Actually there was a Later Balhae established in the northeastern region where the khitan's power faded. It was under Dae clan royals who fled the Khitan and one was enthroned by balhaean aristocrats and officials. Others fled south to Goryeo. The Khitan feared other royals establishing rebellious kingdoms and ordered for the hunting down of all royal family members so many would have great reason to get beyond khitan control. If they go to a Balhaean rump they can retain a throne.

The later Balhaean Rump OTL was overthrown by a general(Yeol Manwha) who establish another successor state called Jeong-an kingdom which the Yeol clan loss power to the OH clan till its fall to the khitan.

As to being developed i stated that in the post Seon era it had towns and forts built not much but like most it would be given officials to watch over it. That is enough for a rump state to grow on and a few thousand should flee there to join the few thousand already there. Balhae had a century to instill its culture among the local peoples who should number a some tens of thousands by now thanks to trade. Balhaeans and their subjects would make up a significant portion of Sakhalin's population now. Probably be no less than 20,000.

As to the name I know its not really Sak Balhae i just used that as a reference to it being Balhae on Sakhalin if you can think of a better name representating this i would love to hear it but we could just use he full Sakhalin Balhae if that pleases everyone.

I don't see why the only militaristic centralized civilization on the island would get absorbed by the tribal ones? If it keeps up old balhae's international trading and assimilation policies then shouldn't it get stronger?

Actually there was a Later Balhae established in the northeastern region where the khitan's power faded. It was under Dae clan royals who fled the Khitan and one was enthroned by balhaean aristocrats and officials. Others fled south to Goryeo. The Khitan feared other royals establishing rebellious kingdoms and ordered for the hunting down of all royal family members so many would have great reason to get beyond khitan control. If they go to a Balhaean rump they can retain a throne.

Korean sources tell me that Later Balhae was either established near the former capital, Sanggyeong, which was near the center, or near the Yalu (Amrok) River. Both locations make more sense, as Dae Gwang-hyeon, who had been a ruler, fled to Goryeo after the rump state was replaced by Jeong-an. In comparison, it would have been impossible for him to do so if he had to travel through Dongdan, which was a subsidiary state set up by the Khitan within former Balhae territory. In other words, considering that a state located closer to Goryeo did not last long, I don't see how a remote state near the Songhua River with access to minimal resources would fare any better, not to mention one in Sakhalin. It would be virtually cut off from most trading routes, save a few possibly leading into what is now Hokkaido, which was sparsely populated at the time.

In addition, even if Balhae migrants somehow managed to establish a stable state on Sakhalin, its remote location would mean that it would have very minimal contacts with its possible neighbors in Manchuria and/or Hokkaido. In other words, it probably would not have a significant impact in East Asian history any more than the successor states IOTL, as it would almost certainly cease to exist by the time that the Mongols expand into Manchuria.

The later Balhaean Rump OTL was overthrown by a general(Yeol Manwha) who establish another successor state called Jeong-an kingdom which the Yeol clan loss power to the OH clan till its fall to the khitan.

Yes, and this state was also located around the Yalu River. Both states were also prone to internal political conflicts, which explains their extremely short durations, and would be extremely difficult to remove if disorganized masses of migrants flooded into Sakhalin within a short period of time.

As to being developed i stated that in the post Seon era it had towns and forts built not much but like most it would be given officials to watch over it. That is enough for a rump state to grow on and a few thousand should flee there to join the few thousand already there. Balhae had a century to instill its culture among the local peoples who should number a some tens of thousands by now thanks to trade. Balhaeans and their subjects would make up a significant portion of Sakhalin's population now. Probably be no less than 20,000.

I don't see why traders from Balhae would bother to install significant settlements on an island with a much colder climate. I glossed over how/why any Balhae traders would manage to even reach Sakhalin, considering that they would have to expand and establish stable settlements further north along the coastline to even come close to the island. In addition, there would have to be a reason for why the existing trade routes leading to the Khitan, Tang, Silla, and Japan are not suitable, which would be extremely difficult. In other words, at most, I can estimate a few hundred on the island, and about 1,000-5,000 joining the earlier settlers, which would not be enough to establish a stable state. Larger numbers would be logistically difficult to supply due to the amount of settlers who would need to adjust to a drastically different climate, which would not be ideal.

As to the name I know its not really Sak Balhae i just used that as a reference to it being Balhae on Sakhalin if you can think of a better name representating this i would love to hear it but we could just use he full Sakhalin Balhae if that pleases everyone.

Later or Lesser Balhae would be better alternatives.

I don't see why the only militaristic centralized civilization on the island would get absorbed by the tribal ones? If it keeps up old balhae's international trading and assimilation policies then shouldn't it get stronger?

Balhae was able to assimilate the various tribes after decades/centuries of expansion because it had a stable base near the eastern portion of the Tumen (Duman) River, where it managed to centralize its government and effectively administer the various provinces. This will be virtually impossible if some migrants are forced to relocate to Sakhalin, and they would probably need to adopt native methods, at least in terms of culture, in order to survive in such a harsh climate.

Last edited:
While some adjustment is likely there should also be some advantages in technology and resources the lesser Balhaeans which would be a competing state to later Balhae will bring with them to Sakhalin. Its been established that farming is possible on the island especially in the south. The growing season last only 100 days. Manchuria has a persistantly cold climate and quite wet in some regions especially Balhae's location and korea is quite mountainous not much of a change from Sakhalin. the Koreans will just have to adapt to the slightly wetter sightly colder climate.

I know Sakhalin has a major coal deposits and that east asian countries where using coal for heat already for millenia. If the practice was passed to korean states that will be a useful resource in lesser Balhae.

Now i am not saying it grows to be a great power but a small northern state with the usual korean rhetoric of reconquest of its former territory.

It would likely establish a bond with Goryeo. It would be forced to trade by sea and through Liao. It might lead to a bond to hokkaido to trade with japan on a new route.

Ainu Hokkaido will be a middle man trading group.

So Lesser Balhae should survive till 993 when the Khitan invasions of Goryeo start. I wonder if Goryeo will ally with Lesser Balhae and ask them to threaten a invasion if the Khitan try to move south?

On note Lesser Balhae is small and fairly weak at most it hasn't grown much since its foundation with about 6-8000 inhabitants 3000 of which are ethnic ainu. It can't field much of an army about 1200 at most. It does and has ships capable of reaching the coast mostly trading vessels though.

This small threat to the north combined with the possibility of internal balhaean rebels might discourage the Khitan from the wars into the south.

While some adjustment is likely there should also be some advantages in technology and resources the lesser Balhaeans which would be a competing state to later Balhae will bring with them to Sakhalin. Its been established that farming is possible on the island especially in the south. The growing season last only 100 days. Manchuria has a persistantly cold climate and quite wet in some regions especially Balhae's location and korea is quite mountainous not much of a change from Sakhalin. the Koreans will just have to adapt to the slightly wetter sightly colder climate.

I know Sakhalin has a major coal deposits and that east asian countries where using coal for heat already for millenia. If the practice was passed to korean states that will be a useful resource in lesser Balhae.

Yes, but the vast majority of Balhae's population was located near the Sea of Japan (East Sea) or the Liaodong Peninsula, which had much more suitable climates. Archeological evidence has shown that several settlements did exist further north, but relocating the core population to colder climates would be a completely different story.

Now i am not saying it grows to be a great power but a small northern state with the usual korean rhetoric of reconquest of its former territory.

This is basically what occurred IOTL with the successor states after Balhae's collapse, and I don't see how the geopolitical situation would be substantially different.

It would likely establish a bond with Goryeo. It would be forced to trade by sea and through Liao. It might lead to a bond to hokkaido to trade with japan on a new route.

Ainu Hokkaido will be a middle man trading group.

Again, this doesn't do anything substantial to drastically shift the geopolitics within (North)East Asia. Some successor states of Balhae IOTL also had sporadic contacts with Japan, and a rump state on Sakhalin wouldn't affect the Liao or the Jin due to its relative insignificance, while the Mongols would probably conquer it.

So Lesser Balhae should survive till 993 when the Khitan invasions of Goryeo start. I wonder if Goryeo will ally with Lesser Balhae and ask them to threaten a invasion if the Khitan try to move south?

On note Lesser Balhae is small and fairly weak at most it hasn't grown much since its foundation with about 6-8000 inhabitants 3000 of which are ethnic ainu. It can't field much of an army about 1200 at most. It does and has ships capable of reaching the coast mostly trading vessels though.

This small threat to the north combined with the possibility of internal balhaean rebels might discourage the Khitan from the wars into the south.

The threat would be extremely minimal with the specified demographics, and if the state on Sakhalin attempted to distract the Liao, it would almost certainly cease to exist within a few decades. The fact that OTL Goryeo never made an attempt to contact any of the several successor states of Balhae, which were more significant than the proposed ATL state, suggests that Goryeo wouldn't attempt to contact Sakhalin either no matter how hard they would be pushed.

Excellent! So far my plan has worked out well.

It was actually my intent to create a realatively unimportant state that would have little impact on history early on from its inception but would have greater impact later.

So far Lesser Balhae has done little more than put Sakhalin on the map earlier and is unlikely to be of any significance for several more centuries. But there is the issues of endurance, influence and the possibility of unexpected impacts.

With no great rivals on the island its unlikely to fall through warfare and the only real changes that may happen are political as fights for the throne or native peoples coming to be the majority population amd wanting a dominant faction in government.

The only issue left i can think of before moving ahead centuries then is its expansion.

I would geuss an effort would be made to do a census of the people under Lesser Balhae alone with identifying the surrounding peoples. Then a mapping out of the whole island would be done within the first century. Tributary relations would be worked out with the local peoples with some small conflicts over taxes keeping the military busy.

Immigration would be minimal from the mainland after the initial period with the only other period of higher immigration coming after the fall of Later Balhae/Jeong-An to the Liao. Even that immigrant group would be relatively small. Likely only a few hundred.

The expansion north would be minimal and in name only claiming the whole island but no to little administration of the far north. The question then is would Lesser Balhae try to expand into Hokkaido and if so would they succeed?:confused:

Excellent! So far my plan has worked out well.

It was actually my intent to create a realatively unimportant state that would have little impact on history early on from its inception but would have greater impact later.

The Mongols would reverse any progress that this state made, so I don't see what difference this would make.

So far Lesser Balhae has done little more than put Sakhalin on the map earlier and is unlikely to be of any significance for several more centuries. But there is the issues of endurance, influence and the possibility of unexpected impacts.

With no great rivals on the island its unlikely to fall through warfare and the only real changes that may happen are political as fights for the throne or native peoples coming to be the majority population amd wanting a dominant faction in government.

You still haven't addressed the issue of infighting within the island. With such a small population within a long island, its much more likely that the political system would disintegrate into several "tribes" scattered across the island, and actual consolidated control would probably be limited to very few settlements split among various leaders.

The only issue left i can think of before moving ahead centuries then is its expansion.

I would geuss an effort would be made to do a census of the people under Lesser Balhae alone with identifying the surrounding peoples. Then a mapping out of the whole island would be done within the first century. Tributary relations would be worked out with the local peoples with some small conflicts over taxes keeping the military busy.

Records would be sparse and sporadic at best due to the disorganization, and any significant ones would either be destroyed or lost in the Mongol invasion, as paper/parchment isn't exactly a durable source. The issue with analyzing Goguryeo, Baekje, Gaya, Silla, and Balhae is not that they failed to create substantial records, such as censuses, but that virtually all of them were destroyed within a few centuries after their downfalls. The only extant evidence is from stone inscriptions, which are not exactly prevalent, and require a significant amount of resources utilized by numerous workers, which would be virtually impossible to gather based on the specifications presented in Sakhalin.

For an example, the Samguk Sagi was compiled about 500 years after the Three Kingdoms Period, and two major invasions by the Tang and Liao occurred in between. Although it states various Korean sources that have now been lost, most of the evidence was compiled based on extant Chinese sources that are still available today.

Immigration would be minimal from the mainland after the initial period with the only other period of higher immigration coming after the fall of Later Balhae/Jeong-An to the Liao. Even that immigrant group would be relatively small. Likely only a few hundred.

The expansion north would be minimal and in name only claiming the whole island but no to little administration of the far north. The question then is would Lesser Balhae try to expand into Hokkaido and if so would they succeed?:confused:

Again, without significant immigration, it is highly unlikely for a stable consolidated government to arise, so it would be virtually impossible for any state(s) to make significant territorial gains into Hokkaido. In fact, any initial contacts would probably occur in the far north of Sakhalin due to its proximity to the continent, so you would have to tackle the issue of settlement within that region first before attempting to construct any further details elsewhere.

You still haven't addressed the issue of infighting within the island. With such a small population within a long island, its much more likely that the political system would disintegrate into several "tribes" scattered across the island, and actual consolidated control would probably be limited to very few settlements split among various leaders.

Here is a map of the island

Again, without significant immigration, it is highly unlikely for a stable consolidated government to arise, so it would be virtually impossible for any state(s) to make significant territorial gains into Hokkaido. In fact, any initial contacts would probably occur in the far north of Sakhalin due to its proximity to the continent, so you would have to tackle the issue of settlement within that region first before attempting to construct any further details elsewhere.

I thought i stated that the orginal Balhaean settlements would be in the south while initial discovery maybe in the north the forts and towns were all built on the southern half of the island that is why i didn't mention the Nivkhs as a major group under Lesser Balhae because they were in the northern half of the island the Ainu became the second most important demographic of Lesser Balhae because they were in the south where the Balhaeans settled. There is not much distance to Hokkaido from Sakhalin.

The Balhaeans now mostly trade by sea ports in the south. They use timber on the island to build ships for trade. They farm mostly in the southern island too. They would adopt alot of the techniques useful of the native peoples like dogsledds in the north and heavier fishing. Deer herding perhaps would stay the practice of the native tribes.

They would be centered around the fortified region in the south rather than be spread across the island. The environment of the island makes this easier because the group that controls the south which has the only environment for farming will dominate. The island runs north south and gets colder and harsher as you go north fewer Balhaeans will want to settle in the north also the south is closer to known sea routes. This would give stability and a focus of defence for the Balhaeans.

Suppression of the Nivkhs and Ainu came early with the first discovery but Nivkh resistance continued to persist even after the fall of Balhae. The Ainu were the prospect of assimilation being treated much like the Malgal peoples. This was because the settlements were in mostly Ainu territory. A main grouping of Balhaean towns and forts are around the Poronay river. The Capital is at the curent location of Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk. There is a port town at Kholmsk which is the major port of trade with Liao.

There are no major Balhaean settlements north of the Poronay River. Because they sailed down the coast from the north. Inland they sailed down the Poronay river to the valley. Some circled the island. This was done in the first century after discovery when the forts were built. More were built in the Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk region which expanded folowing the fall of Balhae and the establishment of the capital.

The nothern garrison around Poronay is the most important because it deals with the native peoples and host a navy.

There is a western garrison also which is set encase there is a chance to cross to the Mainland and together they prevent a force coming from the north. there is a capital garrison of both men and ships but its smaller than the other two. The two garrison control the northern administrations. But if you displease the nobility you may get sent to man the far north garrison which watches the crossing point:p.

I am not 100% sure what the intent of said state would be, but it should be quite easy to make if there were, as Democracy101 pointed out, an actual reason to put a trade colony on the island. Basically you export coal and lumber for food stuffs, I guess?

Sakhalin had a population of semi-nomadic fishermen from the Ainu (in the south), Nivkh, and Oroks tribes. There probably less than 10,000 people on the whole island in the 9th century. So, a few thousand person Balhae colony is going to completely dominate the island (considering the technology gap assimilating or killing off the locals is possilbe too). If the colony is established during Seon's reign it gives you a century to get created, settled, and incorporated into the trade routes.

If Balhae still falls in the early 10th century (as per OTL), you might get more refugees, lets say 10,000 to 25,000 (cause the climate does suck). The local settlement might be over 10,000 Balhae (due to local growth & minor migration factors) plus a few thousand assimilated former locals. So, you might get a nation with 30,000 to 40,000 people. However, they really cannot do anything. They are going to need to import foodstuffs (as the local growing season is too short to adequately supply them), and continue to export lumber and coal.

Considering the small population base, and the fact there really is not much there. They can probably survive Liao and the Yuan by just paying tribute. Other than sending a force to take over the island to say “I took over the island,” the cost really would not justify an actual military expedition. So, tribute works for both parties.

Area’s to grow, other than a quasi-unlikely takeover of Hokkaido I cannot see that they have anywhere to grow. Maybe they marry/merge crowns with Goryeo or Joseon, but that is highly politically dangerous for both of them depending upon the relationship with the Yuan or Ming at the time.

Oh, I see you posted again. Based on the the most recent post I would say that looks very doable (minus why they are there bit), and in fact even easier than what I considered. I am not sure if Nivkh resistance is going to even be a problem. There island cannot have that big of a population, and we are talking about semi-nomadic people here.

Last edited:
Here is a map of the island

I looked at that map numerous times when I made my previous posts.

I thought i stated that the orginal Balhaean settlements would be in the south while initial discovery maybe in the north the forts and towns were all built on the southern half of the island that is why i didn't mention the Nivkhs as a major group under Lesser Balhae because they were in the northern half of the island the Ainu became the second most important demographic of Lesser Balhae because they were in the south where the Balhaeans settled. There is not much distance to Hokkaido from Sakhalin.

You're still not explaining why or how the Balhae traders would be willing to head that far south along the island. Balhae already had stable trading networks with four other states, so it would probably set up a few posts in the north, but there would be no particular impetus to go further south. In addition, there are more mountains in the south, and although some ships could sail along the coast, there is no particular reason to establish further extensive settlements when they are already abundant in Manchuria.

The Balhaeans now mostly trade by sea ports in the south. They use timber on the island to build ships for trade. They farm mostly in the southern island too. They would adopt alot of the techniques useful of the native peoples like dogsledds in the north and heavier fishing. Deer herding perhaps would stay the practice of the native tribes.

They would be centered around the fortified region in the south rather than be spread across the island. The environment of the island makes this easier because the group that controls the south which has the only environment for farming will dominate. The island runs north south and gets colder and harsher as you go north fewer Balhaeans will want to settle in the north also the south is closer to known sea routes. This would give stability and a focus of defence for the Balhaeans.

If the Balhae immigrants adopt native techniques, and the natives in the region put up stiff resistance to potential incursions, then it's much more likely that the newcomers will be absorbed into the local cultures. The original inhabitants would know the terrain much better than the new settlers, and there is no guarantee that the latter will be warmly accepted. In addition, there is the possibility that by the time the Balhae refugees go further south, their numbers would have decreased to around a few hundred, which could lead to their decimation by the time the two sides clash in open conflict. Considering that it took the Japanese about a millennium to expand control into Northern Honshu and Hokkaido in order to subjugate the various tribes within the region, I don't see how a Balhae with a much more limited presence could fare any better.

Suppression of the Nivkhs and Ainu came early with the first discovery but Nivkh resistance continued to persist even after the fall of Balhae. The Ainu were the prospect of assimilation being treated much like the Malgal peoples. This was because the settlements were in mostly Ainu territory. A main grouping of Balhaean towns and forts are around the Poronay river. The Capital is at the curent location of Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk. There is a port town at Kholmsk which is the major port of trade with Liao.

There are no major Balhaean settlements north of the Poronay River. Because they sailed down the coast from the north. Inland they sailed down the Poronay river to the valley. Some circled the island. This was done in the first century after discovery when the forts were built. More were built in the Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk region which expanded folowing the fall of Balhae and the establishment of the capital.

The nothern garrison around Poronay is the most important because it deals with the native peoples and host a navy.

There is a western garrison also which is set encase there is a chance to cross to the Mainland and together they prevent a force coming from the north. there is a capital garrison of both men and ships but its smaller than the other two. The two garrison control the northern administrations. But if you displease the nobility you may get sent to man the far north garrison which watches the crossing point:p.

Trading is perfectly fine, but mass settlements potentially mean open conflicts, and assimilation would probably not work well given what I stated earlier. The Mohe/Malgal within Southern Manchuria had already been assimilated for centuries by the time that Balhae was founded, which would certainly not apply to the natives in Sakhalin. As a better comparison, the tribes in Northern Manchuria, specifically the Heishui Mohe, had only been in contact with Balhae for about a century or so before the latter's downfall. Although its descendants, who later founded the Jurchen Jin, utilized former Balhae aristocrats for administrative purposes, the state itself remained culturally distinct from former Balhae customs. In other words, even if the Balhae emigrants somehow manage to take control of Southern Sakhalin, the assimilation process would probably not be complete by the time that the Mongols appear, not to mention that their low numbers would probably mean that the process would occur in reverse.

As a result, after considering the details, the best scenario would probably be a Balhae presence technically limited to a single settlement in the south, which would have to be continuously wary of incursions from its various neighbors. If this relatively minor settlement somehow manages to hold out, and doesn't cease to exist by the time that the Mongols arrive, it will almost certainly be conquered when the Russians and/or the Japanese arrive, after having a very minimal impact in the region.

You're still not explaining why or how the Balhae traders would be willing to head that far south along the island. Balhae already had stable trading networks with four other states, so it would probably set up a few posts in the north, but there would be no particular impetus to go further south. In addition, there are more mountains in the south, and although some ships could sail along the coast, there is no particular reason to establish further extensive settlements when they are already abundant in Manchuria.

You are assuming the Balhaeans will settle in the north and will gradually move south. But the Balhaeans will not take long to realize the north is not suitable for settlement especially after one winter. Seeking a sea route a ship mapped the coast to the native lands during campaigns against natives. This would result in them learning of the more favorable climate in the south. One of the first things the Balhaeans would do is look for a suitable spot for their settlement and that would mean a trek south and scouts sent by both land and sea. On the west Coast small fishing villages grew on down the coast with ports that handled most traders who traded in Coal, deer, timber, and fish. The soldiers built a small fort in the south near a small port town.

Native resistance continued to get soldiers sent to suppress them.

The impetitus for going to Sakhalin was to expand Balhae's territory, find new tributaries and gaining more knowledge about the surrounding lands, resources and people. When Seon sent troops to Sakhalin they crossed at the north and set up a post in the north but found little of importance other than people. Hostilities with the Nivkhs cause suppression forces to be despatched to the island in which they went further in land and found the Poronay River a ship was built which traveled down the river and found more people in the valley. The people was subjugated and forts were established towns grew around the forts.

By 923 AD 1000 Balhaeans(mostly soldiers) would have settled on Sakhalin and about 2000 natives would be under their control as they would have found opportunitiies and benefits where others found conflict. Most of the Natives who are under Balhaean influence are Ainu.

Since Sakhalin was able to support a native population of between 10,000 and 20,000 with herders and fishing, Lesser Balhae should grow over time to about 15,000 to 30,000 people.
If the Balhae immigrants adopt native techniques, and the natives in the region put up stiff resistance to potential incursions, then it's much more likely that the newcomers will be absorbed into the local cultures. The original inhabitants would know the terrain much better than the new settlers, and there is no guarantee that the latter will be warmly accepted. In addition, there is the possibility that by the time the Balhae refugees go further south, their numbers would have decreased to around a few hundred, which could lead to their decimation by the time the two sides clash in open conflict. Considering that it took the Japanese about a millennium to expand control into Northern Honshu and Hokkaido in order to subjugate the various tribes within the region, I don't see how a Balhae with a much more limited presence could fare any better.

The fall of later Balhae/Jeon-An should give Lesser Balhae a second wave of immigration of a 200 to 500. This influx should keep Balhaean culture dominate alittle more.
Trading is perfectly fine, but mass settlements potentially mean open conflicts, and assimilation would probably not work well given what I stated earlier. The Mohe/Malgal within Southern Manchuria had already been assimilated for centuries by the time that Balhae was founded, which would certainly not apply to the natives in Sakhalin. As a better comparison, the tribes in Northern Manchuria, specifically the Heishui Mohe, had only been in contact with Balhae for about a century or so before the latter's downfall. Although its descendants, who later founded the Jurchen Jin, utilized former Balhae aristocrats for administrative purposes, the state itself remained culturally distinct from former Balhae customs. In other words, even if the Balhae emigrants somehow manage to take control of Southern Sakhalin, the assimilation process would probably not be complete by the time that the Mongols appear, not to mention that their low numbers would probably mean that the process would occur in reverse.

Following the Fall of Balhae between 3,000 and 6, 000 Balhaeans would immigrate to Lesser Balhae. Since Sakhalin's population was only alittle over 10,000 [UN-unified peoples]. So even a force of 500 well armed Balhaean troops should be a major force there. If the tribes work together they could field a army of 2200 natives but i would think the Balhaeans would then try to put a force of 1200 troops to protect Lesser Balhae. A growing Lesser Balhae with a surviving initial population of 3000 would make assimilation unlikely.

As a result, after considering the details, the best scenario would probably be a Balhae presence technically limited to a single settlement in the south, which would have to be continuously wary of incursions from its various neighbors. If this relatively minor settlement somehow manages to hold out, and doesn't cease to exist by the time that the Mongols arrive, it will almost certainly be conquered when the Russians and/or the Japanese arrive, after having a very minimal impact in the region.
The mongols won't have as easy a time conquering them but will likely be able to extract tribute. At least lesser Balhae should be able to influence its neighbors to start kingdoms of their own. But unless they take the more prosperous land to the south which Lesser Balhae controls they won't grow much.

*Had to edit to put forward that the tribes are not a unified force.

Last edited:
You are assuming the Balhaeans will settle in the north and will gradually move south. But the Balhaeans will not take long to realize the north is not suitable for settlement especially after one winter. Seeking a sea route a ship mapped the coast to the native lands during campaigns against natives. This would result in them learning of the more favorable climate in the south. One of the first things the Balhaeans would do is look for a suitable spot for their settlement and that would mean a trek south and scouts sent by both land and sea. On the west Coast small fishing villages grew on down the coast with ports that handled most traders who traded in Coal, deer, timber, and fish. The soldiers built a small fort in the south near a small port town.

And you are assuming that Balhae will automatically head south and establish stable settlements within a few years. It will probably take the traders about one to two decades to explore the entire island, and it will take them more decades to either set up trading posts or establish settlements in the south. By the time that any significant attempts have been made, another emperor would have come to power, and the court would attempt to shift its focus away from the island if it did not see any significant benefits. Considering the volume of trade that must have occurred with its neighbors in order to maintain a population of around 3-5 million, any trade with Sakhalin would be a drop in the bucket. In addition, any substantial settlements would probably use almost all of the resources present on the island, which wouldn't help those back in Manchuria.

Native resistance continued to get soldiers sent to suppress them.

Although Balhae had trading relations with its neighbors, it still remained on hostile political terms with all of its neighbors except Japan. Considering the numerous forts that it would have to maintain along its borders with the Khitan, Tang, and Silla, I don't see why they would want to send more than a few hundred soldiers when taking the fragile geopolitical situation into account. In other words, if the resistance on the island became worse, the settlers would probably leave, and Balhae would attempt to exert tribute from the tribes if they considered the resources to be valuable, instead of attempting to continuously maintain a few settlements and take on mounting costs.

The impetitus for going to Sakhalin was to expand Balhae's territory, find new tributaries and gaining more knowledge about the surrounding lands, resources and people. When Seon sent troops to Sakhalin they crossed at the north and set up a post in the north but found little of importance other than people. Hostilities with the Nivkhs cause suppression forces to be despatched to the island in which they went further in land and found the Poronay River a ship was built which traveled down the river and found more people in the valley. The people was subjugated and forts were established towns grew around the forts.

By 923 AD 1000 Balhaeans(mostly soldiers) would have settled on Sakhalin and about 2000 natives would be under their control as they would have found opportunitiies and benefits where others found conflict. Most of the Natives who are under Balhaean influence are Ainu.

Since Sakhalin was able to support a native population of between 10,000 and 20,000 with herders and fishing, Lesser Balhae should grow over time to about 15,000 to 30,000 people.

Again, Balhae would not even think about sending more than a few hundred soldiers if it wanted to maintain its fragile position in Manchuria. In addition, if there are more soldiers than traders, then the trade volume would be extremely low, but if the reverse is true, potential settlements would be subject to frequent raids, and trade would be disrupted. This was why I was saying that the initial number of settlers would probably be limited to a few hundred, and while I could see around 1,000 in an extremely optimal scenario, any more would be disastrous in terms of logistics. Also, farmers would be necessary as well, although the low population would generally mean less outputs.

The fall of later Balhae/Jeon-An should give Lesser Balhae a second wave of immigration of a 200 to 500. This influx should keep Balhaean culture dominate alittle more.

I'm not sure how another immigration wave of a few hundred settlers would make a significant difference.

Following the Fall of Balhae between 3,000 and 6, 000 Balhaeans would immigrate to Lesser Balhae. Since Sakhalin's population was only alittle over 10,000 unified peoples. So even a force of 500 well armed Balhaean troops should be a major force there. If the tribes work together they could field a army of 2200 natives but i would think the Balhaeans would then try to put a force of 1200 troops to protect Lesser Balhae. A growing Lesser Balhae would make this unlikely.

During the wars with the Sui and Tang, Goguryeo, which had a population of around 3.5 million, fielded around 600,000 troops at most, and that was because virtually every male citizen had been trained beforehand. In other words, if 5,000 migrants settled in Sakhalin, the soldiers would probably number around 500 at most, and it would take years to train more potential recruits. Also, considering how the natives in Honshu and Hokkaido were heavily outnumbered when resisting the Japanese for around 1,000 years, I don't see how the rump state/city/village would be any more successful, as its area of control would be extremely limited.

The mongols won't have as easy a time conquering them but will likely be able to extract tribute. At least lesser Balhae should be able to influence its neighbors to start kingdoms of their own. But unless they take the more prosperous land to the south which Lesser Balhae controls they won't grow much.

If the Mongols are somehow repulsed, any impact that Balhae leaves on Sakhalin will be quickly nullified when the Russians and/or the Japanese subjugate the area.

And you are assuming that Balhae will automatically head south and establish stable settlements within a few years. It will probably take the traders about one to two decades to explore the entire island, and it will take them more decades to either set up trading posts or establish settlements in the south. By the time that any significant attempts have been made, another emperor would have come to power, and the court would attempt to shift its focus away from the island if it did not see any significant benefits. Considering the volume of trade that must have occurred with its neighbors in order to maintain a population of around 3-5 million, any trade with Sakhalin would be a drop in the bucket. In addition, any substantial settlements would probably use almost all of the resources present on the island, which wouldn't help those back in Manchuria.

No i am pointing out its an island and in my post the troops went inland to the south east found the Poronay river first after being attacked by Nivkhs. They learn of the Poronay valley by travelling down it. Theyare already in the far north of the island the only way to go is south. Ships can easily scout the coast and would be sent to find native settlements seeing much of the coast.

They trade along the west coast with fishing villages and learn about the south before the Fall of Balhae the time between Seon and the Fall is when all this happens which is over 100 hundred years. The forts are establish slowly and more forts appeared in the better regions because farming could be practice there and those goods needed protecting. The trading was limited but only small forces were needed to suppress the native forces so only about 500 troops were stationed between all the forts on the island.

When the Balhaeans fled to the Island they would have already known about the southern region. When they go south they would encounter more resistance because they would need more of the resources to establish themselves. Since there would already be some troops on the island and more would come with the fleeing group its not impossible to see them field about 1200 if they recruit natives and train whoever they can for defence. Forts are a hard thing to defeat without seigewarfare experience. The natives are not likely to win.

Although Balhae had trading relations with its neighbors, it still remained on hostile political terms with all of its neighbors except Japan. Considering the numerous forts that it would have to maintain along its borders with the Khitan, Tang, and Silla, I don't see why they would want to send more than a few hundred soldiers when taking the fragile geopolitical situation into account. In other words, if the resistance on the island became worse, the settlers would probably leave, and Balhae would attempt to exert tribute from the tribes if they considered the resources to be valuable, instead of attempting to continuously maintain a few settlements and take on mounting cost.

Again, Balhae would not even think about sending more than a few hundred soldiers if it wanted to maintain its fragile position in Manchuria. In addition, if there are more soldiers than traders, then the trade volume would be extremely low, but if the reverse is true, potential settlements would be subject to frequent raids, and trade would be disrupted. This was why I was saying that the initial number of settlers would probably be limited to a few hundred, and while I could see around 1,000 in an extremely optimal scenario, any more would be disastrous in terms of logistics. Also, farmers would be necessary as well, although the low population would generally mean less outputs.
The realative small military force needed to maintain the islands made it possible but they would still use this area to send mostly troublesome officials and troops who lost favor of the court. Seeking to regain favor or make a profit they would seek success at all cost winning enemies and allies among the native peoples. Some alliances made control easier as well as i pointed out there were people natives who benefited from their arrival.

This is why there wasn't more then 1000 on the island pre fall but there was some gains to be made selling native produced goods. The natives brought the goods to the ports to trade. Sea trade was more prevelant even before the Fall as they did not have to travel north overland constantly.

I'm not sure how another immigration wave of a few hundred settlers would make a significant difference.
it didn't do much more than bring more Balhae officials and those familiar with the culture to the island. But more families helped for growth. With the heavy Ainu population the chance of absorbtion was lessen with a second influx.

I wonder how Balhae language looks as the Ainu are assimilated?

During the wars with the Sui and Tang, Goguryeo, which had a population of around 3.5 million, fielded around 600,000 troops at most, and that was because virtually every male citizen had been trained beforehand. In other words, if 5,000 migrants settled in Sakhalin, the soldiers would probably number around 500 at most, and it would take years to train more potential recruits. Also, considering how the natives in Honshu and Hokkaido were heavily outnumbered when resisting the Japanese for around 1,000 years, I don't see how the rump state/city/village would be any more successful, as its area of control would be extremely limited.

That is the idea to put as many men on the walls as possible if a major native force arose. But as that is unlikely any way its fairly moot. That 500 force would be brought with the fleeing force to join the soldiers already on the island. Would then defend invasion from the north and settle in the south.

As to settlements as the forts were likely undermanned because more men wasn't neccessary they should be able to support a good number more. Then a area of Balhaean native contention might be the fleeing Balhaeans taking over villages and settlements of the Natives by force.

The combined Balhaean population of all those already there and those that fled should be 6000 and the native population 10,000. Since Lesser Balhae will be in the South the number of natives they end up fighting will be more like 6, 000 as 2,000 are pro Balhae.

This is going to be my last post on this thread because I think that we're going in circles here at this point. To reiterate, I don't see anything wrong with trading links between the two, but substantial settlements will require a lot of resources to continuously maintain, which will be extremely difficult to manage in such an isolated environment.

No i am pointing out its an island and in my post the troops went inland to the south east found the Poronay river first after being attacked by Nivkhs. They learn of the Poronay valley by travelling down it. Theyare already in the far north of the island the only way to go is south. Ships can easily scout the coast and would be sent to find native settlements seeing much of the coast.

They trade along the west coast with fishing villages and learn about the south before the Fall of Balhae the time between Seon and the Fall is when all this happens which is over 100 hundred years. The forts are establish slowly and more forts appeared in the better regions because farming could be practice there and those goods needed protecting. The trading was limited but only small forces were needed to suppress the native forces so only about 500 troops were stationed between all the forts on the island.

When the Balhaeans fled to the Island they would have already known about the southern region. When they go south they would encounter more resistance because they would need more of the resources to establish themselves. Since there would already be some troops on the island and more would come with the fleeing group its not impossible to see them field about 1200 if they recruit natives and train whoever they can for defence. Forts are a hard thing to defeat without seigewarfare experience. The natives are not likely to win.

Again, the longer the process, the higher the possibility of abandonment. Not all rulers are keen on supporting their predecessor's policies, while the ruler and the court would not be willing to show support if native raiding parties continue to destabilize the area. In addition, it will require a significant amount of resources to build even one fortress, along with the fact that the soldiers cannot be high in proportion to the total amount of settlers for a stable settlement to be established. If the migrants somehow manage to number around 1,000 before the state's downfall, which in itself is probably highly unlikely, around 50-200 of them will be soldiers, and 400-600 will be farmers, hunters, or traders, so that leaves only a few hundred at most for builders, as half the population would be theoretically composed of women.

With such a small population, it will probably take a decade to build just one fort, not to mention the required costs for expanding the structure, along with rebuilding and/or renovation. Those who attempt to explore the area for more resources in order to expand/contribute to the fort and/or settlement can be easily ambushed due to low numbers, and either structure can easily be attacked before preparations are complete, at which point the costs are much higher than the benefits. Although I certainly realize that several forts in a row can serve as a firm bulwark against potential invasions, such as the ones used by Goguryeo against the Sui and Tang, the relatively limited amount of resources and manpower that can be utilized within a limited area in Sakhalin means that the two situations are not comparable.

The realative small military force needed to maintain the islands made it possible but they would still use this area to send mostly troublesome officials and troops who lost favor of the court. Seeking to regain favor or make a profit they would seek success at all cost winning enemies and allies among the native peoples. Some alliances made control easier as well as i pointed out there were people natives who benefited from their arrival.

This is why there wasn't more then 1000 on the island pre fall but there was some gains to be made selling native produced goods. The natives brought the goods to the ports to trade. Sea trade was more prevelant even before the Fall as they did not have to travel north overland constantly.

it didn't do much more than bring more Balhae officials and those familiar with the culture to the island. But more families helped for growth. With the heavy Ainu population the chance of absorbtion was lessen with a second influx.

I wonder how Balhae language looks as the Ainu are assimilated?

Those who have lost the favor of the court can just be sent further north in Manchuria, as the climate would be much harsher in that region, and it wouldn't make sense for them to be exiled to established close-knit settlements. As I stated earlier, any goods that might be produced by such a low population would probably be mostly used by the settlers on the island, leaving very little to ship back. In addition, considering that the mortality rate will probably be high within the first few years/decades, a few hundred would probably only boost the population to its former levels. In terms of the languages, virtually nothing is known about the one that was spoken in Balhae, not to mention the one spoken by the natives around that time period, as the language would have evolved for centuries, so I don't think that anything significant can be deduced.

That is the idea to put as many men on the walls as possible if a major native force arose. But as that is unlikely any way its fairly moot. That 500 force would be brought with the fleeing force to join the soldiers already on the island. Would then defend invasion from the north and settle in the south.

As to settlements as the forts were likely undermanned because more men wasn't neccessary they should be able to support a good number more. Then a area of Balhaean native contention might be the fleeing Balhaeans taking over villages and settlements of the Natives by force.

The combined Balhaean population of all those already there and those that fled should be 6000 and the native population 10,000. Since Lesser Balhae will be in the South the number of natives they end up fighting will be more like 6, 000 as 2,000 are pro Balhae.

I would give the range for the second significant wave of migrants to be around 1,000-5,000, with the actual number closer to 2,500. Larger numbers potentially mean higher mortality rates, as the newcomers need to adjust, and there are not enough resources within the area to sustain such a high population. In addition, I already provided the potential ratio of soldiers to the rest of the population several times beforehand, so the combined total number of soldiers after the second migration would be around 500 at most, which wouldn't exactly be ideal for repelling a numerically superior force. As I stated earlier, the natives were vastly outnumbered when resisting the Japanese for so long, so considering the limited settlement(s), the area would be quickly destabilized by numerous raids soon after the second wave.