Thoughts on the HRE as a potentially "united" state

I've been doing some reading on the HRE lately, and the following thoughts are coming out of it.

Note, this is all for post-Investiture Controversy PODs. Focusing on the Staufen because they're the dynasty that OTL could have made it - a What If the Welfs Do is different.

Henry VI seems to have been in a fairly good position when he died. Not finished, by any means, but Lombardy is at least not actively in arms, Sicily is being tamed, and Germany isn't actively causing trouble either - nor is the Pope.

So IF the Staufen can focus on securing their holdings, in a way that doesn't draw them into continuous conflict with the Papacy (more on that below) they should probably be able to establish a formidable power base. Especially if Henry's attempt to make the emperorship hereditary works - it almost did OTL.

However, this is not the same as "all of the Empire is completely subject to the Emperor." It's more like a stronger version of the OTL Habsburgs - less internal fighting and more ability for the Emperor to lean on other parts of the empire than his own lands to get men and money, but ultimately the imperial position depends on the strength of the Imperial position within/without the Empire - which is to say, the amount the Emperor can get done depends on the imperial and imperial family lands rather than that whole state.

Until (unless?) some analogue to Richelieu comes along, which might be enough to shake up some things - but that's only workable if the imperial position is strong enough that the inevitable protests find themselves facing a stronger force than themselves.

It's not about a good Emperor. It's about having good organization. And that depends on the Emperor's subordinates more than him personally.

Conflict with the Papacy to a greater or lesser extent is pretty much inevitable. At best, the interests of the imperial position do not mix well with papal wishes of autocracy. However, there is no reason that conflict inevitably is an all consuming process for the Emperors - it will take time and it will take attention, but it is not a storm that cannot be weathered.

But if the Staufen or such emperors spend too much time threatening the papal position in Italy - and focusing on Italy as Frederick II did OTL most definitely counts - the Papacy is going to see this as a threat. Not just a competition that some popes will be more concerned about than others, but something where Imperial success is directly contrary to Papal concerns - up in Germany a strong Emperor can only indirectly threaten the Church, but in Italy, the more powerful the Imperial party is, the more likely the Pope is to be his puppet, or at least lapdog.

Which brings us back to the problem of consolidating power in Germany. The Staufen have a fairly significant demense. But it's not enough.

All in all, it's going to take some very delicate work to balance between imperial interests and effective relations with the Pope.

Trying to hold on to Sicily while trying to master Germany and northern Italy is probably not feasible. It's not outright impossible - but time spent dwelling on (and in) Sicily is time where German concerns are going to be "just make sure the princes stay quiet" and the Italian-Papal problem will fester.

On the other hand, just getting rid of Sicily won't do.

So all in all, what does this mean for AH writing? Well, it means that the Staufen are going to have to compromise somewhere. It means that the imperial position is going to be immensely difficult to convert into full dominion, but effective sovereignty is not impossible. It means that the Emperors are going to need something - the cities, perhaps? - to play against the German princes. And lastly, some dynastic luck - along the lines of the Capetian Miracle - would be extremely helpful in ensuring that the position stays with the Staufen so that they can keep things together - but this probably should be tied with the Erbreichsplan.

Thoughts, comments, additions?

However, this is not the same as "all of the Empire is completely subject to the Emperor." It's more like a stronger version of the OTL Habsburgs - less internal fighting and more ability for the Emperor to lean on other parts of the empire than his own lands to get men and money, but ultimately the imperial position depends on the strength of the Imperial position within/without the Empire - which is to say, the amount the Emperor can get done depends on the imperial and imperial family lands rather than that whole state.
I know it's 80 odd years in the future but an idea I was pondering at one point was for the Hohenstaufens to effectively become the Habsburgs by taking over Austria after the Babenbergs die out. Supposing Henry VI manages to successfully get the Erbreichsplan passed so the Hohenstaufens become hereditary Emperors but other than that any ideas of centralising the Empire stall so, whilst prestigious, things carry on fairly normally. A little way down the line the current Hohenstaufen Emperor starts butting heads with this timeline's Ottokar II of Bohemia and eventually ends up managing to take Austria and Styria. From there they start to acquire surrounding lands via various means and at some point also get elected King of Bohemia. With a boosted power base and no need to worry about elections these alternate-Habsburg Hohenstaufens can then restart the centralising project in earnest. Of course the butterflies introduced could also just throw everything out the window.

It's not about a good Emperor. It's about having good organization. And that depends on the Emperor's subordinates more than him personally.
One possibility might be to use the Free Imperial Knights as a basis for the introduction of something similar to new men that England, especially under Henry VII, introduced. Here's a previous post I made about them. Get the Imperial immediacy earlier than timeline's Peace of Westphalia, either purposely beforehand to set it up or after you start as a reward to them, and that gives you the bare bones of an independent administration that's reliant on the Emperor. The main trick will be to keep their status limited and not have them pick up enough power or influence to start getting ideas.

I know it's 80 odd years in the future but an idea I was pondering at one point was for the Hohenstaufens to effectively become the Habsburgs by taking over Austria after the Babenbergs die out. Supposing Henry VI manages to successfully get the Erbreichsplan passed so the Hohenstaufens become hereditary Emperors but other than that any ideas of centralising the Empire stall so, whilst prestigious, things carry on fairly normally. A little way down the line the current Hohenstaufen Emperor starts butting heads with this timeline's Ottokar II of Bohemia and eventually ends up managing to take Austria and Styria. From there they start to acquire surrounding lands via various means and at some point also get elected King of Bohemia. With a boosted power base and no need to worry about elections these alternate-Habsburg Hohenstaufens can then restart the centralising project in earnest. Of course the butterflies introduced could also just throw everything out the window.

That might work. Or even have someone marry a daughter of the Babenburg line and secure it jure uxoris.

Austria+Styria seems to be a nice chunk of territory - not a lot, but a good addition to what the Staufen already have (or enough to build on, to look at OTL's Habsburgs). Bohemia may not even be necessary, although it would be good to gain it as well.

One possibility might be to use the Free Imperial Knights as a basis for the introduction of something similar to new men that England, especially under Henry VII, introduced. Here's a previous post I made about them. Get the Imperial immediacy earlier than timeline's Peace of Westphalia, either purposely beforehand to set it up or after you start as a reward to them, and that gives you the bare bones of an independent administration that's reliant on the Emperor. The main trick will be to keep their status limited and not have them pick up enough power or influence to start getting ideas.

I wish I knew more about them. They seem to be something that would have been used as a source of people naturally inclined to look to the Emperor to preserve their status, but it seems that OTL that never panned out for some reason. Might just be Frederick II spending too little time on Germany, and following events seeing them losing power as the great nobles took advantage of the fact they'd gained so much from his compromises.

So all in all, what does this mean for AH writing? Well, it means that the Staufen are going to have to compromise somewhere. It means that the imperial position is going to be immensely difficult to convert into full dominion, but effective sovereignty is not impossible. It means that the Emperors are going to need something - the cities, perhaps? - to play against the German princes. And lastly, some dynastic luck - along the lines of the Capetian Miracle - would be extremely helpful in ensuring that the position stays with the Staufen so that they can keep things together - but this probably should be tied with the Erbreichsplan.

Playing the cities against the princes could be a good idea. But it would take some political savy to pull it off at first.

I

Trying to hold on to Sicily while trying to master Germany and northern Italy is probably not feasible. It's not outright impossible - but time spent dwelling on (and in) Sicily is time where German concerns are going to be "just make sure the princes stay quiet" and the Italian-Papal problem will fester.

On the other hand, just getting rid of Sicily won't do.
What about the POD being them not gaining Sicily at all? Make a legitimate line of the Hautevilles survive (maybe William II have a son) and then the Stauffens can keep their attention in the HRE only.

What about the POD being them not gaining Sicily at all? Make a legitimate line of the Hautevilles survive (maybe William II have a son) and then the Stauffens can keep their attention in the HRE only.

There's that, but if I'm not misremembering my reading, Frederick I campagined against the de Hautevilles in the mid-12th century. So you definitely don't want that continuing.

Ideally you want them to concentrate on Germany, if you can get them to become hereditary Emperor then they'd have to spend a fair bit of time north just for ceremonail stuff and to make sure they retain it. If they start using viceroys to manage Sicily whilst they're gone then over time it could become some place they only visit for a few months every so often as they come to think of themselves as 'German' firstly, for a certain value of German. You get the odd family members, and perhaps even an Emperor, that get the hump over things such as it being ceremonial and not powerful that they spend more time down south but eventually the cente of gravity moves firmly north. How long Sicily stands for that I don't know, I guess it depends on the calibre of the men they appoint as viceroys if they keep up with letters to and from there to stay involved. IIRC Hanover during the personal union with Great Britain quite enjoyed having an absentee monarch since it allowed them to get on with their own things.

That might work. Or even have someone marry a daughter of the Babenburg line and secure it jure uxoris. Austria+Styria seems to be a nice chunk of territory - not a lot, but a good addition to what the Staufen already have (or enough to build on, to look at OTL's Habsburgs). Bohemia may not even be necessary, although it would be good to gain it as well.
Gah, I actually meant to say that as well but looks like I forgot. If they did pick up Austria and Styria then I think their main project after that might be to target the County of Tyrol and territory in that area for absorbtion since IIRC wouldn't that join up to their lands in Swabia, or am I getting the Bavarian bit mixed up again?

I wish I knew more about them. They seem to be something that would have been used as a source of people naturally inclined to look to the Emperor to preserve their status, but it seems that OTL that never panned out for some reason. Might just be Frederick II spending too little time on Germany, and following events seeing them losing power as the great nobles took advantage of the fact they'd gained so much from his compromises.
The German Wikipedia has a little bit more information on them if you read German or want to use one of the auto-translator programmes. That gives a few more sources to look at.

Ideally you want them to concentrate on Germany, if you can get them to become hereditary Emperor then they'd have to spend a fair bit of time north just for ceremonail stuff and to make sure they retain it. If they start using viceroys to manage Sicily whilst they're gone then over time it could become some place they only visit for a few months every so often as they come to think of themselves as 'German' firstly, for a certain value of German. You get the odd family members, and perhaps even an Emperor, that get the hump over things such as it being ceremonial and not powerful that they spend more time down south but eventually the cente of gravity moves firmly north. How long Sicily stands for that I don't know, I guess it depends on the calibre of the men they appoint as viceroys if they keep up with letters to and from there to stay involved. IIRC Hanover during the personal union with Great Britain quite enjoyed having an absentee monarch since it allowed them to get on with their own things.

Yeah. Having a tie to Sicily like that might be workable, or giving it to a cadet line (which has some risks but also means that its tied to the family directly).

Gah, I actually meant to say that as well but looks like I forgot. If they did pick up Austria and Styria then I think their main project after that might be to target the County of Tyrol and territory in that area for absorbtion since IIRC wouldn't that join up to their lands in Swabia, or am I getting the Bavarian bit mixed up again?

It does, I think - there might be a few bits besides just Tyrol, but it'd be the main one. Not to mention that Tyrol has some good mines if I'm not mistaken - silver, I think.

The German Wikipedia has a little bit more information on them if you read German or want to use one of the auto-translator programmes. That gives a few more sources to look at.

Might take a look. Even a goofy translator should capture the gist.

There's that, but if I'm not misremembering my reading, Frederick I campagined against the de Hautevilles in the mid-12th century. So you definitely don't want that continuing.

IIRC I think it was an isolated occasion due to the alliance between the Hautevilles and the Pope. And with a legitimate male line there is no reason for Constance to push her claim.

IIRC I think it was an isolated occasion due to the alliance between the Hautevilles and the Pope. And with a legitimate male line there is no reason for Constance to push her claim.

Well, the Hautevilles being papal allies seems pretty likely as long as the Pope is concerned about the HRE - and that's pretty much "as long as it's something to be concerned about".

Agreed on Constance, though.