WI: Rhodesia never became Zimbabwe?

Have been studying Rhodesia over the last eight months. Country had a lot going for it, but the war and the resulting election of Robert Mugabe (apparently President-for-Life, despite elections) turned a country once easily able to feed everyone and export food into a hungry, poverty-stricken place.

What would have happened if Rhodesia had been able to defeat the insurgents, perhaps due to a much larger "European" population ("European" population in 1965 was only about 250,000 total) available for military service, plus better treatment and conditions for the black population?

Any ideas? As it was, the Rhodesians fought hard until 1980, fifteen years after the unitlateral declaration of independence (UDI) in 1965. Would a different Rhodesia have lasted longer? Would it still be around today?

Wolfpaw

Banned
Have been studying Rhodesia over the last eight months. Country had a lot going for it, but the war and the resulting election of Robert Mugabe (apparently President-for-Life, despite elections) turned a country once easily able to feed everyone and export food into a hungry, poverty-stricken place.

What would have happened if Rhodesia had been able to defeat the insurgents, perhaps due to a much larger "European" population ("European" population in 1965 was only about 250,000 total) available for military service, plus better treatment and conditions for the black population?

Any ideas? As it was, the Rhodesians fought hard until 1980, fifteen years after the unitlateral declaration of independence (UDI) in 1965. Would a different Rhodesia have lasted longer? Would it still be around today?
There will never be enough whites to outlast the Africans (who will never give up, btw) and the whole place was a state built on vicious, bloody white supremacy that secured independence only through a mutiny in the forces of the British Crown. The monstrosity of Mugabe's reign has a great deal to do with how the whites under Ian Smith violated the commitments to majority rule in the first place and degrading the situation for 15 years.

Rhodesia lasted as long as it could and we are still experiencing the fallout from that because it allowed a nut like Mugabe to get into power. The best case scenario for everybody in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe, would be for a follow-through on majority rule which would see people more moderate than Mugabe taking over a society which has not experienced the better part of two decades' worth of outright race-war.

If only the Internal settlement could have worked. Muzorewa might not have turned out to be any sort of Mandela, but I guarantee you that everybody there, of whatever colour, would be so much better off had Mugabe been kept out. I'm sure it was an unrealistic expectation, but what a difference it would have made.

1980-1989: Rhodesia survives as a South African client state, despite continued guerilla war. More liberal/moderate whites start leaving the country, causing the government to crack down on emigration. Quite a few countries divest from Rhodesia - unlike South Africa, it lacks strategic minerals.

1989-1994: As the Cold War ends, the West turns completely against Rhodesia. South Africa becomes its only lifeline to the outside world.

1994-2004: As apartheid ends in South Africa, Rhodesia is left totally isolated - more alone than North Korea even. Some white South African radicals go to Rhodesia, radicalizing the government yet more. Guerillas kept down through brutal atrocities. "Settler democracy" ends as the government cracks down on white opposition and suspends elections. Rhodesia emulates North Korea, earning foreign currency through arms trading and counterfeit currency. White supremacist groups overseas raise funds for the government as well, but this never amounts to much.

2004-2013: Economic decline as equipment wears out and replacements are unavailable. So far famine has been averted, but GDP/capita has been stagnant or declining since 2003, and has never recovered to its peak in 1993. 200,000 loyal whites rule the rest of the country as a giant work camp, and even agriculture is beginning to falter. The US begins to covertly support guerillas in 2006, after footage of a particularly brutal massacre is smuggled out.

Basically, imagine a cross between North Korea and Charles Taylor's Liberia, though with an economy doing a little better than either.

For a recent PoD, simply avoid Mugabe and things will be better. An errant bullet in the preceeding conflict could resolve this and *hopefully* someone more moderate (or less authortarian) takes over from the beginning of majority rule.

As someone who has an in-law in the Zimbabwean Cabinet and another in-law is a General in the ZDF I would have to disagree that Zimbabwe has suffered two decades of race war.

I'm a white English Conservative and whilst there have been problems in Zimbabwe it's nowhere near as bad as the media paint out. The violence levels in Zimbabwe are far lower than South Africa and I can enter a township on my own at night without worry, something I could not do, nor could my black Zimbabwean wife do, in South Africa. Throughout all of the farm invasions only two farmers have been killed since 2000 (two too many I will readily admit) compared to at least 50 white farmers a year being murdered a year in South Africa.

Politics in Zimbabe is very complicated and I've heard white farmers supporting Mugabe and black businessmen condemning him. There are several factions in ZANU - PF whose contrating views make big tent politics in the US & UK look small tent creating an alternate type of illiberal democracy.

Mugabe is now trapped by his military. If he had retired before 2000 he would have been regarded as a Mandela like figure as his early accomplishments were very positive for Zimbabe (a higher literacy rate than the UK for example). He had wanted to retire in 2002 but was trapped by the senior military commandersinto having to stay on. When he thought he'd lost at the last election he fled to Malaysia for a week, which was something not reported in the press but was told to me by my Brother in law the General in the ZDF.

Muzorewa was an intersting politician, who I've met, and could've potentially been a very good leader of a properly independent Zimbabwe but so many of these things are what ifs. Rhodesia could not have survived and when Ian Smith introduced the Rhodesia / Zimbabwe concept with Muzorewa in powerit was an acknowledgement of that fact as Rhodesia was only barely controlling the Towns and Cities and some of the interlinking highways.

Where the whole much needed land reform process went wrong was when Tony Blair cancelled the previous John Major Governments £500 million package to properly implement land reform, which included proper training for incoming black commercial farmers, citing that Britain had no Post Colonial responsibility in the mid 1990's. If this had gone ahead then a large part of Zimbabwe's problems could've been avoided. As it was it drove Mugabe into an anti British stance and unfortunately coincided with the rise of a faction within ZANU - PF who wanted to dismantle commercial farming to give everybody a subsistance farming smallholding whether the land was suitable for that or not (i.e. in the arid areas of Matabeleand which are only suitable for large scale cattle ranching there were ZANU - PF ministers who were suprised that crops did not grow and people faced starvation).

Mugabe was not originally anti British and he had got on well with Margaret Thatcher and especially John Major as they both shared a love of cricket. The sanctions on Mugabe really hurt him as he couldn't come to Lord's to atch cricket.

Zimbabwe is starting to now pull out of it's problems and it is resource rich, with the income from Pkatinum, Gold and Diamonds starting to take effect. I love the country, and find it far safer than the UK (and friendlier) and I will be spending Christmas 2013 in Zimbabwe celebrating my Mother - in laws 80th birthday.

Had there been full equality given to blacks, it would have helped a lot. Especially after you see more blacks in government, and it being a true equal society, rather than a white dominated one. And if the government had coupled this with investing more in improving the black standard of living and opportunities to ensure that they can achieve economic equality with whites, you'll basically eliminate any reason for them to support Mugabe and his rebels.

Had they done this, sanctions would have been eventually lifted. White emigration would decrease and immigration from wealthy European countries would increase, which would be a further boon to the economy. This, together with a new highly educated black population in the workforce that would have come with equality, would likely have turned Rhodesia into an economic powerhouse.

The ZANU insurgency is either crushed because of zero support from Rhodesian blacks who have everything they wanted, combined with Rhodesian access to international arms markets. And that's jut assuming Mugabe will even want to carry on his war once equality has been achieved (though he might still carry on due to dreams of being in power).

Rhodesia started out as a racist state, but as with South Africa in the late 1980s, reality was not lost on the people involved. The problem was by that point Mugabe and Joshua Nkomo were calling the shots unquestioningly, and Mugabe in particular wasn't real keen on opposition having influence, a fact that became obvious as a result of Gukurahindi.

Killing Mugabe would probably sap but not stop ZANU-PF, and Rhodesia's economy and society were under enormous strain by the end of the Bush War, and the Rhodesians started taking a considerable number of casualties by 1976-77 which was not a good thing when you consider the size of the population fighting. Rhodesia's security forces were by 1980 almost 70% made up of black Africans, BTW.

Had there been full equality given to blacks, it would have helped a lot. Especially after you see more blacks in government, and it being a true equal society, rather than a white dominated one. And if the government had coupled this with investing more in improving the black standard of living and opportunities to ensure that they can achieve economic equality with whites, you'll basically eliminate any reason for them to support Mugabe and his rebels.

Had they done this, sanctions would have been eventually lifted. White emigration would decrease and immigration from wealthy European countries would increase, which would be a further boon to the economy. This, together with a new highly educated black population in the workforce that would have come with equality, would likely have turned Rhodesia into an economic powerhouse.

The ZANU insurgency is either crushed because of zero support from Rhodesian blacks who have everything they wanted, combined with Rhodesian access to international arms markets. And that's jut assuming Mugabe will even want to carry on his war once equality has been achieved (though he might still carry on due to dreams of being in power).

The problems here were that the franchise in Rhodesia was not exclusively limited to whites, just that the standards were such that few black Rhodesians met them. You could reduce racism a lot in a variety of other areas, such as security officers and the like, as well as expanding the franchise, but the problem is that no matter where you go with this you'll end up with a society that is overwhelmingly dominated by whites, or you'll end up with the black officers overthrowing the white government, thus leaving you little further ahead (if any at all) than if Mugabe had won. Nothing was gonna remove the international sanctions because the British always regarded Rhodesia as a renegade state.

If you did this over time, starting in the 1950s, by 1980 you might have a chance at this. But if you start in the 1970s, the state won't last long enough to be either economically prosperous to that great of a degree or you being able to advance the interests of the black population without them booting you over.

Rex Mundi

Banned
As someone who has an in-law in the Zimbabwean Cabinet and another in-law is a General in the ZDF I would have to disagree that Zimbabwe has suffered two decades of race war.

I'm a white English Conservative and whilst there have been problems in Zimbabwe it's nowhere near as bad as the media paint out. The violence levels in Zimbabwe are far lower than South Africa and I can enter a township on my own at night without worry, something I could not do, nor could my black Zimbabwean wife do, in South Africa. Throughout all of the farm invasions only two farmers have been killed since 2000 (two too many I will readily admit) compared to at least 50 white farmers a year being murdered a year in South Africa.

Politics in Zimbabe is very complicated and I've heard white farmers supporting Mugabe and black businessmen condemning him. There are several factions in ZANU - PF whose contrating views make big tent politics in the US & UK look small tent creating an alternate type of illiberal democracy.

Mugabe is now trapped by his military. If he had retired before 2000 he would have been regarded as a Mandela like figure as his early accomplishments were very positive for Zimbabe (a higher literacy rate than the UK for example). He had wanted to retire in 2002 but was trapped by the senior military commandersinto having to stay on. When he thought he'd lost at the last election he fled to Malaysia for a week, which was something not reported in the press but was told to me by my Brother in law the General in the ZDF.

Muzorewa was an intersting politician, who I've met, and could've potentially been a very good leader of a properly independent Zimbabwe but so many of these things are what ifs. Rhodesia could not have survived and when Ian Smith introduced the Rhodesia / Zimbabwe concept with Muzorewa in powerit was an acknowledgement of that fact as Rhodesia was only barely controlling the Towns and Cities and some of the interlinking highways.

Where the whole much needed land reform process went wrong was when Tony Blair cancelled the previous John Major Governments £500 million package to properly implement land reform, which included proper training for incoming black commercial farmers, citing that Britain had no Post Colonial responsibility in the mid 1990's. If this had gone ahead then a large part of Zimbabwe's problems could've been avoided. As it was it drove Mugabe into an anti British stance and unfortunately coincided with the rise of a faction within ZANU - PF who wanted to dismantle commercial farming to give everybody a subsistance farming smallholding whether the land was suitable for that or not (i.e. in the arid areas of Matabeleand which are only suitable for large scale cattle ranching there were ZANU - PF ministers who were suprised that crops did not grow and people faced starvation).

Mugabe was not originally anti British and he had got on well with Margaret Thatcher and especially John Major as they both shared a love of cricket. The sanctions on Mugabe really hurt him as he couldn't come to Lord's to atch cricket.

Zimbabwe is starting to now pull out of it's problems and it is resource rich, with the income from Pkatinum, Gold and Diamonds starting to take effect. I love the country, and find it far safer than the UK (and friendlier) and I will be spending Christmas 2013 in Zimbabwe celebrating my Mother - in laws 80th birthday.

Is it really safer than the UK for the majority of the population, though? Freedom of speech and press are essentially nonexistent in Zimbabwe and there's a repressive oligarchal police state. There have been reports of electoral violence displacing hundreds of thousands of people from their homes - with exact numbers uncertain due to the aforementioned government interference with the press. And just skimming through Wikipedia (which is generally reliable for basic facts and numbers like this), the per capita nominal GDP there is $741, with Zimbabwe ranked 173rd out of 187 countries by their HDI. This is not at all ideal, and with all due respect, it isn't fair to judge the situation of Zimbabwe by the experience of a white Englishman with family ties to government/military officials who's essentially on vacation in the country.

Edit: While a high literacy rate is a boon to any nation (all other factors beings equal), it can not be considered indicative of the general welfare of a people and their state. Historically, extremely repressive regimes (North Korea, for instance) have proven that they can and will sometimes maintain a higher standard of literacy than in comparable countries with more freedom, if for no other reason than to better disseminate propaganda.

Last edited:
On a side note, over the past few days, I've seen Rhodies in their chat forums discussing on ways to bring Rhodesia back after Zimbabwe "inevitably" collapses.

This seems like a good place to ask the AH.com community if it's possible or not.

To answer the original question, could Rhodesia have lasted longer? Yes. Could it have lasted to the present day? Perhaps, but that requires a long ago POD and rather different thinking on the part of the people involved.

I'm thinking that the best opportunity is to have a considerable number of black Africans in the military units Rhodesia sent to fight the Nazis. Many of these men fight with distinction in North Africa, a fact that leads to a considerable number of black junior officers in the Rhodesian units involved in the invasion of Italy. Two Rhodesian battalions are also with the British invasion forces on D-Day, leading to three of them getting awarded the Victoria Cross in Italy and northern France. These men return home to the status of heroes, leading to late 1945 legislation that says that any veterans of the Rhodesian armed forces in good standing are to be granted all of the same rights as the white population, regardless of their skin color, background or any other qualification. Veterans here are described are those with 18 months service in wartime or with five years service in peacetime, though those wounded in action are automatically eligible under the principle of 'having shed blood for Rhodesia'. This leads to 22,500 black men automatically added to voting rolls for the first post-war elections, held in 1947.

The white population of Rhodesia grew rapidly after WWII, exploding from 80,000 in 1946 to 290,000 by 1955, which kept on growing, passing the 500,000 mark in 1964. (the black population in Rhodesia in 1964 numbers 2,375,000). However, laws in the mid-1950s, supported by many newcomers to the area, support an extension of the voting franchise to a larger number of black Rhodesians. The federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland, founded in 1953, actually helps this, as many of the factions of the federal government are not helpful to the blacks, but many of their replacements in the southern government in Salisbury are. The new Premier in Southern Rhodesia, Sir Garfield Todd, was able to expand numerous elements to help grow the black Franchise and improve education standards among the country's black majority, expanding the black share of the Franchise from 5.2% in 1953 to 21% in 1960. (This growth in black voters, it should be said, also helped Todd's position politically.) A conservative backlash against this went nowhere, as Todd pointed out that the larger numbers of educated blacks helped advance many of the territory's industrial enterprises.

The federation was an economic success but a political nightmare. The British Government was increasingly against the idea of colonialism, and a letter by the Northern Rhodesian Governor to Whitehall criticizing the planned constitution for the federation was leaked to former Rhodesian PM Godfrey Huggins, who in turn leaked its contents to his successor, Roy Welensky. After a political crisis that resulted, Welensky seriously contemplated independence for the federation but chose to not do it. But that did not stop the problems, and while the federations voting qualifications were loosening fairly quickly, and by 1960 the federation government had six junior ministers - Todd's government had two black ministers and twelve junior ministers - and the voting franchise was expanding fairly quickly.

The federation collapsed in 1962, with Northern Rhodesia and Nyasaland gaining independence as Zambia and Malawi, both rapidly becoming one-party states. The rise of one-party states in both countries became, in an ironic twist, helpful for Southern Rhodesia, which by now was just named Rhodesia. Todd won re-election in 1963, but lost his majority. The Rhodesian Front, led by Ian Smith, won just six fewer seats than Todd's United Rhodesia Party, leaving trade union organizer and black businessman Joshua Nkomo and his National Democratic Party with the balance of power. Despite that position, Smith's complete refusal to work with him made sure that Todd and Nkomo were allied on issues, and trust grew between them. Nkomo brought numerous other influential black Africans into the government, including right-hand man Edgar Tekere. The intelligent, clear-speaking and moderate Nkomo and Tekere, despite both being quite open pushers for greater black rights, were quite open in admitting that they wanted their success to come from negotiations with the whites, which put them in hard conflict with Smith and the conservative wing of Rhodesian politics.

By 1965, the situation on both sides was coming to a head. Smith and the Rhodesian Front's attempt to push Todd out of power by bringing his ministers into the Rhodesian Front failed when Todd simply appointed Nkomo as his deputy Prime Minister, a result that also saw Tekere made a minister. Whites driven out of other African colonies were openly welcomed in Rhodesia - and after a highly-publicized and mess fight in France saw a rise in disgust towards the Pieds-Noirs of Algerian descent, saw thousands of them leave France for other places, of which a number ended up in Rhodesia. By 1965, with the white population having swelled to 541,000 by white refugees from the Congo and the Pieds-Noirs, the white population of Rhodesia felt pretty secure about its prospects - and 1960s economic growth, which drove the nation's unemployment rate down to below 15% in 1963 and was rapidly swelling the standards of living, was helping this.

Todd and Nkomo, with an agreement in 1966, further expanded voting rights to include over 20% of Rhodesia's black population, a fact which made black Africans a majority in upcoming elections. Smith then caused himself immense trouble when he tried to organize opposition to this in Rhodesia's armed forces. Todd ordered Smith to back off of he'd have him arrested for sedition, to which an enraged Smith barked back "Tell that nigger (Nkomo) that this is my land, and he will never take it from me, especially not with your help." Nkomo surprised many when his response to that was to publicly say "I am not interested in taking from you, Mister Smith. I am interested in creating more for my people. I would rather build than destroy, because when you build, you can be proud of your efforts and make life better for all."

Violence broke out in March 1967 between groups supportive of the Todd-Nkomo government and those supporting the Zimbabwe African National Union, led by Robert Mugabe and Ndabaningi Sithole. The 1967 riots killed more than 100 people in Salisbury, Gweru and Bulawayo, also saw ZANU break in half, as Nkomo convinced Sithole to sit down with Todd and him and help work out a solution. Sithole did this, asking for amnesty for his supporters who had committed crimes against Mugabe supporters. He got this to an extent, enraging Smith, though Nkomo held out any killers and house-burners to both appease Smith, respect Todd's wishes and provide justice for the families involved. Mugabe, infuriated, declared war on the Rhodesian government and his supporters, notably those of the Shona tribe, took to that war with a vengeance. After a mob stormed a mixed-race school in Hwange in September 1967, killing 17 people, both Todd and Nkomo had had enough.

A state of emergency was declared and the Rhodesian armed forces, along with the British South African Police, were dispatched to arrest those responsible for the violence. Nkomo and Sithole asked their supporters to help with this, noting that eleven of the seventeen dead in Hwange were black themselves. The emergency was lifted in February 1968, but by this point the battle divisions were drawn.

The 1968 elections went on with Nkomo expected to be the first black PM of Rhodesia, but with a month to go a United Rhodesia Rally was mortared by ZANU terrorists, killing twelve and critically wounding Todd. He survived, but was left in a wheelchair - but also loudly enraged, something Nkomo sympathized with. Nkomo's party won the election, but in an act which made history, he refused Governor-General Welensky's request to become PM, instead asking Todd to do it. This act stunned Rhodesians of all kinds, and when asked about it Nkomo responded "He [Todd] is the one who can lead all of this, and I want all the good people of Rhodesia, black and white, to be free together. Many of the whites fear a black man leading the government, and with Mugabe intent on destroying us all, we need to be unified. If that means I must give up a position, I will. It is more important that the people bringing destruction to Rhodesia be defeated. The political questions can come later."

Thoroughly surprised but impressed nonetheless, Todd took back the PM position on June 26, 1967, and promptly ordered the Rhodesian armed forces to destroy Mugabe and his ZANU, while also offering Smith and three senior Rhodesian Front officials cabinet posts. They accepted, a fact that would prove important.

On January 7, 1968, Britain announced that it wanted Rhodesia to be independent, even though it violated its policy of no independence before majority African rule, noting that black voters were the majority in the 1967 elections and that Rhodesia's 550,000-strong white population was working to find reasonable accommodations with the three million black Africans they shared the nation with. Negotiations began in June over Rhodesia's independence, even as the Rhodesian security forces battled Mugabe and his ZANU forces, who by this point were getting help from the Soviet Union, a fact by then known to Britain, who after negotiations began deployed the SAS and units of the Royal Air Force to the assist the Rhodesians. One of Mugabe's top deputies, Enos Nkala, was killed by a close air support run on August 6, 1968, a blow that hurt Mugabe's forces. After a year in the mess, however, Britain's government changed in 1969, and the RAF withdrew - but no before leaving behind a considerable number of aircraft for the Rhodesians to use, including Hunter FGA.9 attack aircraft, Canberra bombers, Sea Vixen air-defense aircraft and Westland Wessex helicopters, all old designs being phased out by the RAF but useful to the Rhodesians.

The country became independent on August 1, 1969, with Garfield Todd as its first PM and the insurrection by ZANU still raging. South Africa was willing to provide supplies to the Rhodesians, a fact that grew more important in the 1970s, and transport links through South Africa and through Mozambique were used by the country, despite the fact that Rhodesia grew more disenchated with apartheid as time went on - though the end of apartheid in the early 1980s changed matters entirely. Seeing Rhodesia's attempts at reconciliation between its black and white populations having some success, the country soon became an example that South Africa strove to follow in the 1970s as well as being supported by the West to a considerable extent. The Rhodesians focused their efforts on fast moving forces, developing the "Fire Force" strategy using paratroopers and helicopter-bourne infantry and gunships, a force which was refined to an amazing degree through the 1970s as the civil violence raged, and the arrival in 1974 of ex-RAF Armstrong Whitworth Argosy transport aircraft and UH-1H Huey transport helicopters, as well as cannon-armed Westland Gazelle scout helicopters, proved to be devastatingly effective.

Mugabe's forces sought refuge in other nations and got it, namely from Zambia and Angola, a fact that led to the Rhodesians being willing to strike in both nations. The Portuguese in Mozambique and Angola were also willing to let the Rhodesians hit in both nations, a fact that was used often by the Rhodesians. Following the end of Portuguese rule in Angola and Mozambique, the Rhodesians found the FRELIMO government willing to accept the presence of the ZANU guerillas, a sore point for both sides for a long time. By 1975, numerous acts of terror against black civilians by the ZANU groups, most brutally against the Ndebele tribe members, had angered the black population to the point that support for the attackers was fading, and even among the Shona population, long cosseted by the Rhodesians and with "collaborators" attacked repeatedly by ZANU, the insurgent forces had lost a lot of their support.

The most infamous moment, the raid on Lusaka, happened on February 10, 1976, where the Rhodesian Air Force attacked and suppressed most of the Zambian Air Force, with three MiG-17 fighters shot down by Hawker Hunters of the RhAF. They were followed by over a thousand Rhodesian soldiers, who arrived in RhAF Argosy aircraft (as well as some South African Hercules and Transall aircraft) and lots of Rhodesian Wessex and Huey helicopters (again, supported by South African Puma and Super Frelon transport helicopters), who raided the headquarters and two ZANU military camps outside of Lusaka, causing more than 750 casualties, though twenty-one Rhodesian soldiers were killed in the raids. The raiders on the ZANU headquarters killed Mugabe and five of his senior military commanders. Having suppressed the airport, the Rhodesians battled their way to the airport and left in the same aircraft they had come in, having devastated the Zambian forces and done crippling damage to ZANU.

Despite loud condemnation from the Soviet Union and some portions of Europe, the Rhodesian attack was seen as a massive success for the Rhodesians. ZANU stepped up its attacks, but their shooting down of an Air Rhodesian Boeing 707 outside Salisbury on May 23, 1976, causing 137 deaths (21 of them people on the ground), caused a massive backlash against them, made worse when twenty people, including fifteen women and children, were killed by ZANU militia members outside Kariba on May 28, 1976, when their homes were burned down. The Salisbury shootdown so infuriated the Rhodesians that they bluntly told the Zambians that if there were any more such events that they would hold the Zambians responsible for them. That got the attention of Kenneth Kaunda, who was not about to go to war with a nation that had destroyed a sizeable portion of his armed forces in his capital, who ordered ZANU out in January 1977. In response, ZANU tried to move its whole force wholesale into northern Rhodesia, an attempt that saw the first units of them run head-on into the Selous Scouts, who killed hundreds of them.

The heavy fighting continued into early 1977, which also saw Rhodesia's first three black flag officers, two of them WWII and Malaya veterans. That year also saw Todd hand over leadership of the nation to Nkomo, retiring to his ranch outside of Bulawayo. The Rhodesians focused on Mozambique, even as ZANU attempted more retaliatory measures. The bombing of the Bulawayo car race track and the Woolworth's department store in Salisbury on the same day in April 1977 killed fifteen people and injured 78, but did nothing to hurt the resolve of the nation and its now-diverse people. South Africa, which was negotiating the end of apartheid now, loudly supported the Rhodesian government - and by mid-1977, the ANC had condemned the attacks on Salisbury and Bulawayo as an "act of terror against innocent people", a stand that stunned ZANU. By the end of 1977, they had effectively been driven out of the country.

In February 1978, Sithole loudly called for ZANU to lay down its arms and negotiated an amnesty with Nkomo and Smith, the latter having been appointed to Nkomo's unity government as his deputy after the 1977 elections. With now 626,800 whites in Rhodesia - and more arriving almost daily, usually from Eastern Europe - the position of the white Rhodesian was quite secure, as by this point they made up over 12% of the population and with majority rule negotiations underway. Over 2500 ZANU members took advantage of the amnesty in 1978, and by the end of the year, the violence had all but ceased.

By the time apartheid went away in South Africa in 1981, the Rhodesians were working on a system of majority rule of their own, and without the nasty sanctions that had damaged the apartheid state, Rhodesia was one of the most prosperous places in Africa, and it showed in the standards of living of nearly all of the people in the nation.

OOC: Thoughts?

On a side note, over the past few days, I've seen Rhodies in their chat forums discussing on ways to bring Rhodesia back after Zimbabwe "inevitably" collapses.

This seems like a good place to ask the AH.com community if it's possible or not.

It isn't. Most blacks who remember Rhodesia don't remember it with any fondness, regardless of Mugabe's long list of fuckups.

It isn't. Most blacks who remember Rhodesia don't remember it with any fondness, regardless of Mugabe's long list of fuckups.

Actually, that's not quite true (they miss the standard of living, not the racism).

But otherwise, yeah, I see your point, the racism of Rhodesia isn't coming back. The people there are simply never going to allow a tiny white minority to run the place and lord it over them again.

But some of the ex-Rhodies seem to think that when Zimbabwe implodes, the whole country will erupt in chaos and civil war and mass killing, and they will be the saviors, yadda yadda yadda.

Well, so long as their first step is going back in time and giving AK-47s to General Lee... :p

In all seriousness: I think that would work out about as well as some Belgian private citizens going to Rwanda in 1997 and trying to take over because "obviously you people can't govern". And that's assuming Zimbabwe "collapses", it looks to me like if the place was going to fall apart, it would've done it in 2006 or so.

Wolfpaw

Banned

It's not Zimbabwe that will collapse, it's the Mugabe regime. Rhodesia and its white-supremacy are splitsville, and good riddance too.

Cook

Banned
If only the Internal settlement could have worked. Muzorewa might not have turned out to be any sort of Mandela, but I guarantee you that everybody there, of whatever colour, would be so much better off had Mugabe been kept out. I'm sure it was an unrealistic expectation, but what a difference it would have made.
Agreed.

1980-1989: Rhodesia survives as a South African client state, despite continued guerilla war. More liberal/moderate whites start leaving the country, causing the government to crack down on emigration. Quite a few countries divest from Rhodesia - unlike South Africa, it lacks strategic minerals.

1989-1994: As the Cold War ends, the West turns completely against Rhodesia. South Africa becomes its only lifeline to the outside world.

South Africa had already withdrawn support from Rhodesia in the 1970s, you'll need some change in the internal politics of South Africa to bring about the above.