Has America ever won a war where the odds were against them?

Now hear me out before ranting at me :p
so what i was wondering is the idea of american military supremacy.
When i look at american military history i see a long list of conflict with a rather asymmetric level of military power. If we start from the beginning:

American Revolutionary War: fought against the British Empire. so when you consider the ARW i always get to the conclusion that it was America's seclusion and the distance it is from europe that prevented a british victory. The war only ended after France and numerous other european powers jumped into the conflict. please correct me if i got anything wrong :D .

War of 1812: fought against the British Empire. This conflict was fought while Britain was battling Napoleon in Europe and all the issues i mentioned earlier still stand. The war ended in a Status Quo, no changes.

All the Indian Wars: these were fought against the native americans over a longer period of time and i have a hard time seeing how any of these wars were fought on anything aproaching equal terms with the native americans.

Mexican-American War: the Mexican-American war has always seemed decidedly uneven from my POV, the stability of the two sides, the leadership, the technological level, i could go on.

The American Civil War: fought against the CSA. I have a hard time seeing how the two parties here were in any way equal. The USA had the greater manpower, logistics, equipment and a hundred other things where as the CSA spent a good time of its energy just getting boots for all their men.

Spanish-American War: fought against Spain. This might seem more of an even fight but once again you have the decaying spanish empire on one side with them experiencing rebellions and a multitude of other bad event while the Americans are once again fighting almost on home field.

World War 1: fought against the Central Powers. America entered the war last minute while all other parties had been at the fighting for the last four years and had exhausted each other. All the Americans had to do was enter the war to win it.

World War 2: fought against the Axis powers. once again America enters the war against an enemy that has been fighting for the last several years. The Japanese started fighting in China by 1936 while Germany had been at it since 1939. The Third Reich fell as a result of the pressure placed upon it by the Soviet Union. I am not saying that everyone else didn't play a part but all that is needed to realize that the war was won on the eastern front need only look at the casualty numbers.

Cold War conflicts: there are a number of these but America has always been the party with the most power and have rarely succeeded in winning any of these conflicts. Korean War, Vietnam War, etc.

Post Cold-War conflicts: all of these conflicts have been fought against much weaker states.

I hope no one takes offence at any of this, i do not mean to demean anyones actions or make them seem irrelevent but the more i discover about american military history the more it seems like one long tale of Goliath beating the crap out of David.

How about the Cold War? The USSR was much bigger than the US and had more men and tanks and planes and spies.

How can you possibly use the Cold War and then talk about armed forces?!

We still had the advantage there: economy. That's what the Cold War really was. We had an economy that wouldn't inherently collapse in on itself as it grew.

Ethiopia's defeat of Italy in the 1895-6 war?

Britain in WW2?

Israel in the War of Independence and arguably 6 Day War and Yom Kippur?

Britain's victory in the Falklands War?

I don't know about the other three, but Britain in WWII is not an example - the disparity of resources between the Allies and the Axis is huge - whether one counts the USSR as part of "the Allies" when calculating industrial, economic, and military might or no.

Corbell Mark IV: But a much weaker economy, which is more relevant.

Uh...how about the Revolutionary War? The odds were definitely against the US since only 1/3 of the colonists supported them and they were fighting the greatest navy and army in the world at the time.

Uh...how about the Revolutionary War? The odds were definitely against the US since only 1/3 of the colonists supported them and they were fighting the greatest navy and army in the world at the time.

Nevermind the significant help from France and others, right?

Spanish-American War: fought against Spain. This might seem more of an even fight but once again you have the decaying spanish empire on one side with them experiencing rebellions and a multitude of other bad event while the Americans are once again fighting almost on home field.

The Europeans did not expect America to win in the S-A War, hell the American government did'nt even to win as much as hope for minor victories and to get a somewhat positive Peace Treaty, like Spain giving them Cuba or otherwise allowing it to become an independent Republic.

Ultimately America won the war out of luck.

American Revolution: Only won because of French assistance. Especially the French Navy.

War of 1812: Lost the war, won the peace treaty. Because Britain was fighting Napoleon and didn't need the distraction.

Mexican American War: Hindsight is 20/20. At the time, many Europeans were betting against the Americans. The Duke of Wellington (That one, yes) predicted that not only would the Americans lose Texas to the Mexicans, but they might lose New Orleans. At the time, no one realized what a curb stomp it would turn into. The Mexican Army was seen as a fine military force, while the Americans were 'Militia', dangerous on defense but useless on offense.

But wars happen when both sides think they can win (or losing is so horrible you fight anyway). No one starts a war on conquest they think they have no chance of winning.

I would say early Korean war was stacked against US. Granted, when taking sizes into account it had advantages but in 1950 those advantages couldn't be brought to play yet. Granted it's just one phase of a long conflict.

What? Where did you get those figures?

Baphomet

Banned

Without France? The US never would have won the Rev War by itself.

Baphomet

Banned
Not losing despite fighting alone against one of the worlds greatest powers with under a tenth of their population and hundredth of their wealth is impressive enough.

Yes, but not when the continental army was already being plagued by desertions, expiring enlistment contracts, financial difficulties and and overall unreliable militia. Without French support, the rebellion would have fizzled eventually.

AlexG

Banned
This is descending quickly into an america bashing thread. The OP was about winning a war where the odds were stacked against the United States let's get back on topic.