Historian: The Alternate

24 September 1996: While driving his motorcycle in Chiswick, west London, actor Mark Frankel narrowly dodges an oncoming car and instead runs into a nearby hedge. Frankel suffers minor cuts and bruises, and a sprained wrist, but is otherwise okay. The story receives minimal media attention, and only a brief mention in People Magazine.

Frankel’s television career is in limbo; his recent project, Kindred: The Embraced, has been canceled by Fox due to low ratings. However, the show, based on a roleplaying game called Vampire: The Masquerade, has gradually grown a small cult following, and piqued the interest of Showtime, which is in negotiations to purchase the now-defunct property and bring it to premium cable. Frankel’s accident nearly puts the kibosh on the deal, as he portrays the critical character of Julian Luna, a powerful vampire and fan favorite. Frankel’s portrayal of Luna has drawn the praise of critics, something Kindred desperately needs. His costar, C. Thomas Howell, has not met with similar praise, and is regarded as a weaker member of the cast. Fortunately for Showtime and Kindred, Frankel makes a full recovery from his injuries. The show is purchased by Showtime with the expectation that new episodes will begin airing in the spring of 1997.

Showtime’s management announces that, in an unprecedented move, it intends to run a four-hour block of science-fiction shows on Sunday nights, directly counterprogramming Fox’s smash hit The X-Files. With The Outer Limits at seven, Poltergeist: The Legacy at eight, in the summer the forthcoming Stargate SG-1 at nine, and Kindred at ten, Showtime hopes to finally put together a combination that can take on The X-Files for the increasingly influential geek demographic.

Meanwhile, Aaron Spelling’s production company Spelling Television has been searching for a young actress to play opposite Thomas Calabro, playing Dr. Michael Mancini on their soapy hit Melrose Place. The new character, Megan Lewis, is intended to replace Dr. Kimberly Shaw, portrayed by Marcia Cross, who is being written out. Spelling and his production crew had their eye on up-and-comer Kelly Rutherford to portray Lewis, but Rutherford’s renewed commitment to portray reporter Caitlin Byrne on Kindred means she has to bow out of the role. Spelling and company decide to recruit Jeri Ryan, an actress who had previously appeared as a minor character, Valerie Madison, in Melrose’s prior season.

Howell is not as lucky as Rutherford. The first of the new episodes of Kindred appears in early March, a day before the WB’s new vampire drama, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and in it Howell’s character Frank Kohanek is brutally murdered, not by a vampire, but by new character Tobias Black, played by relative newcomer Nathan Fillion. Written off the show, Howell turns back to film.

Kindred draws strong ratings for a show on premium cable. Freed from many of the restrictions of broadcast, the writers embark on increasingly complex and sophisticated plots, utilizing Showtime’s ability to address adult themes to explore the tragedy of being a vampire. Although never a smash hit, the show develops a cult following, and receives praise from mainstream critics, particularly after season four.

The critical success of Kindred, and the mainstream success of its direct competitor Buffy, causes Marvel Comics to step up production on its vampire action movie Blade, starring Wesley Snipes. Marvel is using Blade as a test case; other Marvel ventures--such as Howard the Duck, Captain America, The Punisher, and The Fantastic Four--have all been dismal failures. The company hopes that by disguising a superhero movie as a vampire flick, they can avoid the curse that seems to have befallen all their superhero properties. With the sudden surge in interest in bloodsuckers, Marvel wants to strike while the iron is hot. Blade, originally intended for a Summer 1998 release, is moved up to Christmas 1997. Although director Stephen Norrington protests, Marvel management is adamant: wait too long, and the public may be burned out on vampires. Blade needs to be made now. To placate the irate Norrington and his screenwriter David Goyer, Marvel Films’s head Avi Arad meets with them personally to assure them they have Marvel’s full backing and that no costs will be spared in making Blade; Marvel is publically committed to the movie’s success. This is less reassuring than one might imagine in light of Marvel’s recent Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

Summer 1997: Showtime’s Stargate SG-1 debuts to massive numbers. The show, anchored by Richard Dean Anderson of MacGyver fame, is Showtime’s biggest debut ever, reaching approximately two million households. Kindred benefits from the lead-in, holding most of that audience.

Marvel’s Blade has run into trouble. Filming is taking place at a frantic pace, but scenes shot in the heat of Death Valley are hellish for the cast and crew. Tempers flare, and costars Stephen Dorff and Wesley Snipes nearly get into a fist fight, only defused by intervening crew members. Goyer’s script is unfinished, and already there are cost overruns. Despite all this, initial dailies seem promising, and Marvel executives begin planning their next feature, banking on the notion that Blade will be a success. Possible franchises are "Spider-Man", "Captain America", and "X-Men".

Viacom’s UPN has run into trouble. Only three years into its broadcast history, the network routinely operates at a loss; its only show that might reasonably be called a success is its flagship, Star Trek: Voyager. However, even Voyager is running into ratings problems. Showrunner Brannon Braga hits upon the idea of introducing to the crew of the misplaced Voyager a Borg crewmember, the Borg being the long-standing enemies of the show’s heroic Federation. In addition to the dramatic hook, “Seven of Nine” will provide eye-candy, which Braga and other UPN executives hope will draw in fan attention. After an exhaustive auditioning process, they cast sci-fi alumna Claudia Christian, recently of Babylon 5, as the sexy cyborg.

Will Smith’s second blockbuster in a row, the sci-fi comedy Men in Black, opens to rave reviews and strong box office. Smith, who starred in the epic Independence Day the previous year, is slated to star opposite Gene Hackman in Enemy of the State the following year, but after that his schedule is open. He has two competing offers, both from Warner Bros.: the big-budget, guaranteed blockbuster remake of The Wild Wild West, or the unpromising and dark science fiction piece The Matrix. Smith is leery of The Matrix’s ambitious and still-theoretical “bullet-time” effects, and is leaning towards picking West, which would reteam him with Men in Black director Barry Sonnenfeld.

Always great to see another popular culture timeline, and with a fairly recent POD, as well! And yet another one that focuses to a degree on Star Trek - I think that must be some kind of law ;) In fact, allow me to be the first to log an official request for Star Trek: Excelsior (without Bermaga, of course) instead of Enterprise.

That said, even if you don't grant my wish, I definitely look forward to seeing what else you have in mind for this timeline :)

Summer 1997: Warner Bros.’ Batman and Robin opens to dismal reviews and even worse box office. Although it makes back its budget, it only does so due to high ticket sales overseas. Star George Clooney calls it a “mistake” and offers to refund the ticket price of anyone who approaches him in person and says they saw it in the theatre; it temporarily sets back the careers of promising young stars Chris O’Donnell and Alicia Silverstone. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who played the film’s villain Mr. Freeze, sees his own career, go into a slump. Schwarzenegger is philosophical; he saw something similar happen in 1993, with the failure of Last Action Hero. Still, the enforced hiatus allows him time to contemplate his future, as well as consider indulging his lifelong interest in politics.

Autumn 1997: It is now obvious to everyone at Marvel that Blade will not be ready for Christmas. The troubled production is now way over budget, star Snipes has become completely unreasonable, and director Norrington seems headed for a nervous breakdown. Arad is dispatched to Los Angeles to get control of the movie and get it back on track. The hope is that the film can be ready for late February or March.

David Goyer, the film’s writer, has become soured on superhero movies. The struggles of Blade, plus the failure of Batman and Robin—Goyer is a fan of the franchise—mean the writer is burned out. When Marvel approaches him about writing a television movie, Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD, he turns them down.

Melrose Place opens a new season with lackluster numbers. This is a continuing trend, as the show has lost over a million viewers since 1996. Most critics blame the loss of Marcia Cross, but many fans blame the character of Megan Lewis, portrayed by Jeri Ryan. Ryan, although not a bad actress, has a subdued acting style that makes her a poor fit for the hammy primetime soap.

Star Trek: Voyager continues to have problems, as contract disputes between the showrunners and newcomer Claudia Christian bog down production and keep Christian’s audience-draw character, Seven of Nine, off-screen for several episodes. These disputes mirror those had between Christian and Babylon 5 showrunner J. Michael Straczynski, which ultimately led to her leaving the show. Executive producer Braga, commenting on this “habit” of hers, viciously snarks, “Maybe you ought to find a new agent.” These remarks ultimately find their way into print, embarrassing both Christian and Voyager’s producers. Christian, who had hoped to increase her presence in films, argues that she should be allowed to be written out of select episodes to accommodate filming other projects, and believes her contract backs her up on this. Braga and Berman, meanwhile, maintain that she has signed on for a set number of episodes, and that she needs to film those episodes before taking on new, non-Star Trek projects. The rush to bring Seven of Nine to the screen means that Christian’s contract was written in haste, and as a result several passages are ambiguous in their phrasing. Eventually Christian and the Voyager showrunners reach an accommodation, but the damage is done: Voyager’s predicted ratings bump after the introduction of the sexy Seven is only 20%.

Winter 1997: Riding high on the success of Kindred: The Embraced, White Wolf Publishing, makers of the original Vampire: The Masquerade, release two new roleplaying games in their “World of Darkness”: Construct: The Innocent, and Hunter: The Twilight. In addition, they release a new edition of their Changeling: The Dreaming.

HBO, Showtime’s major competitor, has not missed Kindred’s increasing cult following. They begin looking for their own science fiction properties to develop into original programming. Kindred has proven that roleplaying games can be fruitful sources for TV; HBO is eager to carve out their own niche among the growing geek fandom, and approaches several game companies in search of a suitable property. Negotiations settle around two possibilities: Wizards of the Coast’s Dungeons and Dragons and Games Workshop’s Warhammer 40,000.

I'm not sensing a lot of interest for this TL; I'll probably keep it going for a while, see if it picks up, but I have other projects I need to work on, so if there's not a lot of interest for it, I'll probably shut it down. Your thoughts?

I, for one, am still reading, and I look forward to further updates. And having some experience with timelines getting off to a slow start, my only advice is to keep at it :)

I agree with Brainbin -- sometimes things can take a while to get rolling. I'm also reading, and I would encourage you to keep at it!

Subscribed! One question - were Fox's broadcast ratings really ever a challenge to Showtime's premium cable numbers? I would have thought that they were two different animals. :confused:

Anyway, excellent TL and more please!

Subscribed! One question - were Fox's broadcast ratings really ever a challenge to Showtime's premium cable numbers? I would have thought that they were two different animals. :confused:

Anyway, excellent TL and more please!

The issue is Showtime's marketing department saying, "Hey, you like vampires? We got this great vampire show, come watch!" and the viewer saying, "Why should I pay an extra twenty-five bucks a month (or whatever) when I can just go watch Buffy for free?" Especially since the post-Sopranos premium cable original programming revolution hasn't happened yet to accustom people to the idea that you can watch actual TV on premium cable.

The issue is Showtime's marketing department saying, "Hey, you like vampires? We got this great vampire show, come watch!" and the viewer saying, "Why should I pay an extra twenty-five bucks a month (or whatever) when I can just go watch Buffy for free?"
As always, I feel for those happen to dislike Buffy the Vampire Slayer (or find it ridiculously overrated), and might like to see some other vampire shows instead.

I'm liking this one...:cool: A narrowly-focused SF TL? Keep on with it.:cool:
Thespitron 6000 said:
counterprogramming Fox’s smash hit The X-Files. With The Outer Limits at seven, Poltergeist: The Legacy at eight, in the summer the forthcoming Stargate SG-1 at nine, and Kindred at ten
That should give "Kindred" a strong starting audience, if it does nothing else. (IMO, "SG-1" suffers from being led by "Poltergeist", but...) I'm wondering if the strength of this hurts "Buffy" a lot, tho.:eek::eek: (I'd certainly hope not.)
Thespitron 6000 said:
recruit Jeri Ryan
It saddens me she won't be on "ST:V". If the character of Seven is close, however, it can only help, with Kes gone.:rolleyes:
Thespitron 6000 said:
played by relative newcomer Nathan Fillion
:cool: Does this butterfly "Firefly"? (Never a fan.) Does it impact "Castle" at all?:eek::eek: (Tell me he still gets it!:eek:)
Brainbin said:
official request for Star Trek: Excelsior (without Bermaga, of course) instead of Enterprise.
I'd tentatively second that; I'm unfamiliar with the concept. I'll wholeheartedly support the second part: lose the deadbeats.:eek:
Brainbin said:
As always, I feel for those happen to dislike Buffy the Vampire Slayer (or find it ridiculously overrated), and might like to see some other vampire shows instead.
It continues to puzzle me why you hate Joss Whedon's writing so much...:confused::confused:

Winter 1997: James Cameron, acclaimed director of science-fiction films like Aliens, The Abyss, and Terminator 2: Judgment Day, unleashes his newest technological marvel: Titanic. The ocean-going romance-cum-disaster film is an immediate smash hit, and already there is Oscar buzz. The film blows out its competitors, the 18th James Bond movie Tomorrow Never Dies and DreamWorks’ MouseHunt.

Actor Chris Farley suffers a near-fatal heart attack after ingesting a potent cocktail of heroin and cocaine. Found near death by his brother John, the Saturday Night Live star is rushed to Cedars-Sinai Hospital, where surgeons perform open-heart bypass surgery. Farley spends several weeks in the hospital before being allowed to return home, and can look forward to several months of recovery, with orders from his doctors to lose weight and finally kick his drug habit. Chastened by the experience, Farley pledges both to family and friends that he intends to change his unhealthy lifestyle. Farley’s friend David Spade is deeply affected by his friend’s brush with death; plans for a third film starring the two (after Tommy Boy and Black Sheep) are temporarily shelved, but Spade is adamant that the comic duo will return to the screen, and refuses to let the project drop. DreamWorks, meanwhile, stops production of its CGI-animated Shrek, which is to star Farley as the loveable green eponymous character. Almost all of Farley’s lines have been recorded, but Shrek directors Andrew Adamson and Kelly Asbury want to wait until Farley is recovered before continuing vocal recording. There is some talk of replacing Farley—it will be at least six months before he is in shape to record—but Adamson and Asbury reject these suggestions, stating that “it would be disrespectful to Chris—and detrimental to his recovery—if he did not have our full and unflinching support.”

Primary filming on Blade concludes in October. The projected release date is now March 6, 1998. Special effects, editing, and post-production will take several months, but with the project now safely separated from Snipes, Dorff, and the other intractable actors, Marvel hopes that throwing resources at the picture will result in its being completed on time. Director Stephen Norrington, claiming exhaustion, is removed from the picture and replaced with music video director Tim Pope. Pope is the director of 1996’s The Crow: City of Angels, which was also written by Goyer, but his primary attraction to the Marvel executives is that he will work for cheap.

Writer and Buffy creator Joss Whedon approaches WB Network executives about spinning off the popular character Angel, a vampire love interest of Buffy’s, into his own show, which would feature him as a private detective in Los Angeles. However, Buffy’s competitor Kindred has recently introduced a vampire private detective character in its third season (its first full season, after the eight episode 1996 season and the truncated spring 1997 second “season”); given the similarities between the plotline and Whedon’s proposed project, the WB higher-ups decide it would appear to be a clear rip-off, possibly angering fans who are used to Buffy’s (relative) originality. Wanting to keep Whedon happy, they politely turn down “Angel” and request a different project. Whedon goes back to the drawing board.