Go Back   Alternate History Discussion Board > Discussion > Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900

Old December 25th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Apostata

DBWI: Happy Dies Natalis Sol Invicti!

Happy Dies Natalis Sol Invicti everyone! Even though this holiday began as a day to worship the Unconquered Sun, it still has secular meaning as a day to celebrate family and generosity. If the Solar Cult had never risen to dominate Europe and the Near East, would be be celebrating some other god upon this day?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleeNova View Post
LGWWIIBT is the new official ah.com abbreviation
Old December 25th, 2012, 03:21 PM
World Wanderer

Most likely Isis.
Old December 25th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Kirked

Praise the Unconquered Sun
Old December 25th, 2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Malta View Post
Praise the Unconquered Sun
A Merry Yuletide to everyone !
Old December 25th, 2012, 03:30 PM
I don't work with Reebok.

Crazy sun worshippers.
Old December 25th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Crazy sun worshippers.
Exactly :P But Happy Chanukkah everyone!
Old December 25th, 2012, 03:48 PM

I doubt it. With Saturnalia ending only two days ago, I've never seen the need for another holiday so soon after. I mean I'm still too full from the Saturnalia dinners to even think of anything else.
Old December 25th, 2012, 05:38 PM
ಠ_ಠ amuse us vermin. ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Julian View Post
Happy Dies Natalis Sol Invicti everyone! Even though this holiday began as a day to worship the Unconquered Sun, it still has secular meaning as a day to celebrate family and generosity. If the Solar Cult had never risen to dominate Europe and the Near East, would be be celebrating some other god upon this day?
You people are so superstitous. The sun is powered by the same atomic processes that fire the Solaris Electric Plants. Not some magicaly nonsense. I swear, it's just like is Socrates time, reason is declining and ignorance and superstition rule the day.
Old December 25th, 2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArKhan View Post
You people are so superstitous. The sun is powered by the same atomic processes that fire the Solaris Electric Plants. Not some magicaly nonsense. I swear, it's just like is Socrates time, reason is declining and ignorance and superstition rule the day.
ugh not this again. look sol invictus is not just about sun itself. it's about how the energias of the sun come to feed the plants, critters and men of terra. he is eternal and all-powerful; the physical sol is his manifestation AND gift to men, showing us every day of his benevolence, and the example of nurturing love for us emulate while reminding us to be humble as all live under His gaze. so please don't take the literalists' word for it and do some reading of your own.

if i had a denarius every time a boy-loving hellen bitched about Him wihout even reading his Sc. Augustine or the Mandata..
Old December 25th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Byzantophilic Brony

OOC: Was Sol Invictus even considered to be "born" in the sense of Jesus or mortal men?
Old December 25th, 2012, 07:18 PM

Who knows? There's a minor but significant branch of Judaism that a couple of 4th-Century emperors practised, maybe that would be the dominant religion.
Old December 25th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Edinbourgoisie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwine View Post
OOC: Was Sol Invictus even considered to be "born" in the sense of Jesus or mortal men?
OOC: No, I don't think so. The thread title should probably be "Happy Dies Sol Invicti!" or "Happy Sunday" ().
Old December 25th, 2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwine View Post
OOC: Yes and no. Our Lord Mithra was considered to have been born on a specific known day, and his birth was conflated with that of Sol Invictus (who owes more to the various baalim/Iupiter avatars of the East than the original Roman deity Sol). But this was not considered a historical event in the way the birth of Jesus was. It happened "a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away", as it were.
Von der freien Republik.
Old December 25th, 2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyeux View Post
OOC: No, I don't think so. The thread title should probably be "Happy Dies Sol Invicti!" or "Happy Sunday" ().
OOC: No, there is a clear distinction between Dies Solis (every seven days) and Dies Solis Natalis (every year).
Von der freien Republik.
Old December 25th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Resident Theologian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeUK View Post
Who knows? There's a minor but significant branch of Judaism that a couple of 4th-Century emperors practised, maybe that would be the dominant religion.
Is there not a minor sect of this currently being practiced in Visconsina and Ninnesotinus? I thought that there was some ethnic tension there recently. Putrid radicals by all accounts regardless.
Old December 25th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Edinbourgoisie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlton_bach View Post
OOC: No, there is a clear distinction between Dies Solis (every seven days) and Dies Solis Natalis (every year).
OOC: Ah, I thought Natalis meant something to do with birth.
Old December 25th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Another Gay Conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyeux View Post
OOC: Ah, I thought Natalis meant something to do with birth.
OOC: It does but the birth of the sun is celebrated in the sense that after this day the days start to get longer again whereas before they were shortening
Old December 25th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Writer in need of de-blocking.

Quote:
Yes indeed. Thankfully, we here in the Victorian[OOC: OTL's North America] nation of Confederation of Kanata pay no heed to such bothersome horse manure. Why, even the natives of Hispania are more rational.....

But even the most ignorant rural Roman cannot be compared to the people of Neues Saxonrike[OOC: It's in OTL's Rhodesia + Botswana. Think of a nasty mix of Anglo-Saxon England, Nazi Germany, and TL-191's C.S.A., and you'd be about right. ]. They are living in perpetual ignorance, even if it's of the Ramborgian Rationalist kind, and not magical superstition as in Italy.

Also, I'm on WordPress:
Old December 25th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Another Gay Conservative

You weird rationalists up in Kanata... Down here in the Kingdom of Texia we still hold on to the religious traditions passed down to us by our Roman ancestors. Hell, we just had a beautiful weeklong Saturnalia season dedicated to thanking Saturn for all that he has given us in the past year.
Old December 25th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Sky Pirate Extraordinaire

Location: The Gothic Clockpunk Zemplín Kingdom's crown colony of Franz Joseph's Land
As an Overseas Faithful of the Holy Dhaklada Commonwealth, I worship the Lady and the Lord and the Seal and the Stag. While many of my countrymen would deem this talk about the Sun itself as a god figure to be fairly heretical, I don't mind such words and will refrain from chastising you and your unwise ways, fellow men and women.

I wish you all well and a succesful new year, may the Lady and Lord, Moon and Sun, Seal and Stag, Beach and Plain bless ye all !

I, for one, am more than happy that the Windmaster and Wavemaster have not brought too many ill fortunes to the Holy Homeland and to us, the humble Faithful of New Nuthekrofívotracu.

Quote:
The likes of you are the reason why the nature of Nuthekrofívotracu and much of the world is failing. And why we, the Faithful, prefer to isolate us and our Holy Commonwealth from people such as you. Do not make fun of the Lord, for he is the reason we are not banished to eternal darkness and hunger !

(OOC: Read the stuff behind the link for a more in-depth explanation. New Nuthekrofívotracu is the Falklands archipelago and "faithful" is a more theocratically grounded term for "citizen".)
Sparrow Avengers Universe Development Page
Thieves' Guild RP - Development Thread