TACOS Color Scheme: The Revision

hey, all. i've been meaning to work on this for a while and have finally gotten around to it. you all probably remember TACOS, the alternative to the UCS that i pioneered with help from several others (for which i am still thankful ;)). since i ultimately left it unfinished, i wanted to go back and redo TACOS with more comprehensive palettes and colors, borrowing as much from the original UCS and the Thandean-Richardean Scheme as possible, mainly with new additions and only a few revisions (again, like legitimate feldgrau and Islamic green for Germany and Arabia, respectively). unlike in my previous attempt at revising it, i'm not gonna necessarily try to come up with a color for every single country on the planet, but will strive to find one for all of them as well as common alternatives for every current color (such as the color for Aragon or Catalonia being applicable to Andorra as well)

anyway, i was wondering if anyone wanted to help me out with this. going off the Thandean-Richardean scheme at first, i decided to start with the British palette and have already written up what i think are satisfactory entries. this time, i decided to include ones for the pre-unification kingdoms that formed England:

• Anglo-Saxons & Celts
    • Angles/England/Great Britain/United Kingdom
    • Ireland; ATL: Irish-dominated UK
    • Scotland/Picts/Jacobites; ATL: Scottish-dominated UK
    • Wales/Brythonic Celts; ATL: (other) Celtic Britain/UK, Camelot
    • Wessex/Anglo-Saxon bretwalda {no Norman invasion TL}
    • Mercia; ATL: Roman(ic) Britain {Romance-language speakers}
    • Northumbria; ATL: Norse/Germanic Britain (Kingdom of York)
    • Cornwall/other (British) Celts
    • Celtic successor state; ATL: independent Ulster Scots/Scotch-Irish
    • Anglo-American union (Oceania, Holy Britannian Empire)

Anything where the US isn't blue is as air to me.

Also, I have an H-IPS display. More than half of your countries and protectorates are virtually indistinguishable to me.

i'll probably be revising that in general; for what i have right now for the Commonwealth palette, there's not even any mention of the Asian proper (the closest thing to that is Papua)

i've worked out almost everything i think will be needed for the 'Commonwealth Realm' palette. i've gotten a number of entries (though some lacking colors) to equal the 'Anglo-Saxons & Celts' (with the intention of them being placed next to each other) though if anyone thinks that it isn't comprehensive enough, i could expand it to (eventually) match numbers with the 'North America' palette

• Commonwealth Realm
    • Australia
    • Canada
    • Jamaica
    • New Zealand; ATL: independent North Island, (European) Pacific empire
    • Papua New Guinea; ATL: other exotic tropical people(s)
    • South Africa; ATL: independent Boers/other African Dutch successor state
    • Maori; ATL: independent South Island/other Polynesians (Tonga)
    • this entry is completely blank in the palette specs; any ideas for what could fit in here?
    • other African commonwealth; ATL: non-Boer South Africa
    • other Pacific commonwealth; ATL: independent Western Australia
the Maori entry gives an example of what i mean by trying to repurpose some distinctly ATL/historical-only colors for modern states. when the opportunity presents itself, i'll be doing this for as many OTL states as possible, but otherwise don't plan to go out of my way to make a color for every single country on Earth

• New Zealand; ATL: independent North Island, (European) Pacific empire
  • Maori; ATL: independent South Island/other Polynesians (Tonga)
Considering that the North Island has a greater proportion of Maaori than the South, why are these two countries not switched for the hypothetical divided New Zealand scenario?

Last edited:
Considering that the North Island has a greater proportion of Ma:eek:ri than the South, why are these two countries not switched for the hypothetical divided New Zealand scenario?
the South Island is the one that has some separatist sentiments in it, and the North island is where the capital is located ;)

to Vladislav, Guyana had occurred to me as well. i'll go and include that in the 'Commonwealth' palette as "other American commonwealth" and specifically cite Guyana

the next thing for us to cover is 'North America'; in the old scheme, that only focused on the United States and countries within it or that could/could have formed from its territory, like the Confederacy, New England, Deseret, and Texas. this time, i think i'd like to cover Canadian separatism as well (except for Quebec, which would go to the 'France & other Francophone' palette)

any ideas for entries? in the meantime, i'll be writing up something as well to try to stir up ideas myself

all three of those will definitely be in there, though Vinland and Inuit are gonna be in 'Scandinavia' and 'Anglo-American Aborigines' respectively

Yeah, it does have way too much colors. Perhaps you could introduce some sort of two-tier system? Tier 1 would have all the really important stuff, while Tier 2 would be colors like Slovakia.

Why are we still mostly using UCS? Is TACOS bad, not good enough, too complicated, or what?
I've taken to using the TACOS scheme as my primary palette due to its sheer size: I'd rather find and copy-paste a color that someone might recognize than devise a new color that nobody will recognize. But then I haven't done any "artistic" maps lately.