WI: Superhero Film Boom in the 90s

What if this Superhero film boom we have seen, which began with "X-Men" in 2000, began a decade earlier.

The late 80s and into the 90s were a period where the comic nerd long awaited many promised projects. In 1989, Batman had made a major splash, and was now a franchise going strong, and perhaps, it seemed, it could have signaled many other projects would gain ground. That didn't really happen. Projects like a Spiderman movie and a film based on the character Lobo never happened, along with a multitude of other rumored projects, and some of them may have just been rumors. Films were did received weren't that great: The Punisher and Captain America were poorly received (I've seen the latter, and it is not a great film, and randomly changes the Red Skull to being an Italian Fascist instead of a Nazis), and the Fantastic Four movie was just a way for the film studio to keep the rights to that intellectual property and it was never intended for release (and it was a terrible film anyway). The Superman reboot/sequel concept was hamstrung when Christopher Reeve was crippled, and over the 90s it evolved into a planned project where Nic Cage would play Superman and he would fight Brainiac, and that concept took on things like Superman not wearing a costume or him wearing a costume but a black one or something somehow '90s and having a dog that could talk, and fighting a giant mechanical spider-robot, and a litany of other things that would be the thought behind making "Batman and Robin" and would have made that Superman the same schlock type as "Batman and Robin". Kevin Smith talks about it here. And of course the Batman franchise, that great beginner of a potential great age, self destructed. It began when they took out Tim Burton, and replaced him with Joel Schumacher, and things became campier and less serious and less good beginning with "Batman Forever" and culminating in "Batman and Robin" which was a toy commercial that was absolutely terrible and like the black box of a soulless corporate studio system in the crash of a franchise. That left the superhero genre looking dead for a while until X-Men proved it was bankable, and showed it could be done right if they put in the effort, and maybe after the failure of Batman they were ready to take it seriously (superhero films became maybe even like video game films before that; no/incompetent effort, badly done, but they know you'll go to it so who cares).

But what if, like X-Men in 2000, Batman in 1989 (or perhaps something else around the late 80s) began a superhero film boom earlier, and it began the studios to produce comic superhero films? Hell, it may not even be good films; it may just be a bunch of films like the schlock we saw like "Captain America" (1990) and even "Batman and Robin", but I'd like to explore this idea even if the logistics of the movie studio relationship with comic books and comic book films in this era will force it to be that.

Entirely possible if you avoid Batman Returns, that was where the problem really started.

How so? If you mean the studio getting cold feet on having Burton do his take, and letting (and perhaps forcing) Joel Schumacher make it lighter and less serious, then that is a problem in trying to make it a good boom, although the studios still can get on making superhero films.

How so? If you mean the studio getting cold feet on having Burton do his take, and letting (and perhaps forcing) Joel Schumacher make it lighter and less serious, then that is a problem in trying to make it a good boom, although the studios still can get on making superhero films.

Eh...I don't know. Batman Returns has porblems aside from it being too dark. It's take on the Penguin probably being the biggest. Maybe get rid of him and have Billy Dee Williams as Two-face instead?

early nineties Flash tv series was pretty good. If memory serves, it was the cost per episode and not the rating that was the problem. Also, you had lois and clark: the new adventure of superman which lasted for 4 seasons so maybe if DC gets a few more series on TV, it might encourage a film version of them.

Batman Returns' take on the Penguin inspired Chuck Dixon's Mobster Penguin in the same way that the J.R. Ewing stand in from Superman III inspired John Byrne's Post-Crisis on Infinite Earths evil businessman Lex Luthor. It was visionary in basically every sense of the word. Before that, Oswald Cobblepot was just a themed smash and grab robber with a stale waterbird theme.

early nineties Flash tv series was pretty good. If memory serves, it was the cost per episode and not the rating that was the problem. Also, you had lois and clark: the new adventure of superman which lasted for 4 seasons so maybe if DC gets a few more series on TV, it might encourage a film version of them.

My problem with Lois and Clark was that it was too romantic focused and civilian focused and focused on Lois and Clark, and not enough on Superman and fighting the baddies.

A Comic Magazine that came out after the first Batman Movie listed Scripts that were being consider as films
Watchman was the First
The Flash was another
Nick Fury was a Third.

None ever were made.

Another Movie that was mention was Sandman based on the Neil Gaiman
Comic.

Alan Moore work on a Swamp Thing Movie script. It had to be better than the one used for Return of the Swamp Thing.

And after Batman Return there was talk of a Catwoman Movie. It would have to be better than the Halle Barry,

Batman Returns' take on the Penguin inspired Chuck Dixon's Mobster Penguin in the same way that the J.R. Ewing stand in from Superman III inspired John Byrne's Post-Crisis on Infinite Earths evil businessman Lex Luthor. It was visionary in basically every sense of the word. Before that, Oswald Cobblepot was just a themed smash and grab robber with a stale waterbird theme.

I like the Batman Earth One take on the Penguin. He was the Corrupt Mayor of Gotham and Bruce Wayne Father would be Killed after He decided to run again the Penguin in the election.

A Comic Magazine that came out after the first Batman Movie listed Scripts that were being consider as films
Watchman was the First
The Flash was another
Nick Fury was a Third.

None ever were made.

Another Movie that was mention was Sandman based on the Neil Gaiman
Comic.

Alan Moore work on a Swamp Thing Movie script. It had to be better than the one used for Return of the Swamp Thing.

And after Batman Return there was talk of a Catwoman Movie. It would have to be better than the Halle Barry,

Mentioning those works of fiction that were deep and multilayered and achievements in the original source material, I wounder how the relationship would go between the creative people and the film studios in adapting there works. It could be said that those people were creating deep works that were bringing respect to the comic as a medium, and that by adapting them into film so soon after their creation, it would be stealing that prestige from the comic and putting that prestige into films instead, without any time for that prestige to settle as being with the comic primarily, and thus with the comic book industry and making it respectable, as was the case in the OTL where you had about 20 years for the Watchmen to have the cement dry (or whatever metaphor works) before it was made into a film.

That reference to a Beetlejuice sequel sounded interesting.

Marc, I saw that film on cable, I strongly suspect my current tumor is related to that error.;)

Mentioning those works of fiction that were deep and multilayered and achievements in the original source material, I wounder how the relationship would go between the creative people and the film studios in adapting there works. It could be said that those people were creating deep works that were bringing respect to the comic as a medium, and that by adapting them into film so soon after their creation, it would be stealing that prestige from the comic and putting that prestige into films instead, without any time for that prestige to settle as being with the comic primarily, and thus with the comic book industry and making it respectable, as was the case in the OTL where you had about 20 years for the Watchmen to have the cement dry (or whatever metaphor works) before it was made into a film.

I remember a classmate of mine in College, who pointed out that Comic Book movies had gotten to the 60's silver age level in the 1990's. The problem is that Hollywood was trying to adapt the current comics and force them back into the 1960's mold.

One thing that we need is Producers in Hollywood who treat Comics seriously and not just as a source for Toy designs. This is one of the things that hurt the latter Batman films. And was a issue in The Superman Live mess.

No idea, how to get this happen.

Well, we all know the joke that David Hasselhoff's popularity in Germany suggests that the US was inadequate in terms of correcting attitudes after WWII.;)

unclepatrick, not a bad point to raise.:)

One thing that we need is Producers in Hollywood who treat Comics seriously and not just as a source for Toy designs. This is one of the things that hurt the latter Batman films. And was a issue in The Superman Live mess.

No idea, how to get this happen.

It doesn't even need to happen. As I said, the boom doesn't need to be good. Lord knows, video game movies aren't and those are made all the time.

I will say the problem with superhero films/proposed superhero films is a convergence of factors. One, it became astroturfing: films like Superman and Batman (1989) were popular so they managed to sell merchandise and toys off of them and make a merchandising boom out of that. So the corporate executives that run Hollywood studios decided not to make products from a film (proposed or made), but to make the film purposely to sells toys and merchandise. Another is dumb people in charge; men and money men who didn't know what they were doing, who didn't want to put in the effort and wanted to have the films reflect their misguided, idiotic visions for what they thought was art or interesting. Really, the only film, though, that was that was "Batman and Robin". "Superman Lives", at least before Tim Burton, could have been that too, but I don't know of any film that was really like that, and I don't know if that would be destined to happen with superhero films if there were a massive boom (just because they sunk the Batman franchise doesn't mean another studio would follow suit on their Spiderman franchise).

Last edited:
I assuming the Script was better than That show. I am trying to forget the Hasselhoff Movie. Was almost there and then you reminded me.

Hey ! I have by nature excelent recall so if I'm stuck with that flick in my head, why should I be the only one to suffer ?

God..... now I'm remembering Full Moon's: Doctor Mordrid*

* AKA: "we lost the film rights to the character of doctor strange so now we'll call him by one of his enemy's name"