Larger Mexico

Basically my focus for this thread is Central America. Come up with scenarios for Mexico to acquire all of Central America possibly excluding Panama at first if it's too hard but you can add it later. It doesn't really have to be pre 1900. Just from a modern perspective it would seem to make a lot of sense for these countries to be part of Mexico I mean Mexico is a federation with quite a lot of differences between states so I'm sure they would fit right in. I know that most of Central America was part of the Federal Republic of Central America but that disintegrated pretty quickly.

Well, they were all (up to Costa Rica) a part of Mexico for the first few years of the First Mexican Empire. So maybe you could start there.

You'd need to have a POD that limits the chaos and power grabs that came with the fall of the mainland Spanish Empire. A more stable First Empire, or possibly have a more democratic revolution. Though pulling off the later is going to be tough taking into account that Latin American society was inherently non-democratic in its set up than the British colonies.

Yeah. Maybe some kind of 'founding fathers' figures could help.

Mexico does. Hildago, Morelos, and even Inturbide. Just Inturbide represents the power grabbing from the get go, and an aristocracy that not only has an arrogant sense of class superiority, but also racial superiority over the vast majority of Mexicans/Central Americans. It bred a more, "Where will I get more power, being loyal to Spain or to Mexico" and not only distrusting attitude toward the majority, but one of utter contempt. Obviously not every member of the Mexican elite felt this way, but enough did to create all sorts of dysfunction.

Also, the 13 colonies were far from a society of equality and classlessness, but democratic institutions for the most part we're built right into the system from get go. Plus the Founding Founders didn't represent a tiny minority of either British born or descended nobility ruling over a people they considered barely above savages.

There's my two cents anyways.

Mexico does. Hildago, Morelos, and even Inturbide. Just Inturbide represents the power grabbing from the get go, and an aristocracy that not only has an arrogant sense of class superiority, but also racial superiority over the vast majority of Mexicans/Central Americans. It bred a more, "Where will I get more power, being loyal to Spain or to Mexico" and not only distrusting attitude toward the majority, but one of utter contempt. Obviously not every member of the Mexican elite felt this way, but enough did to create all sorts of dysfunction.

Also, the 13 colonies were far from a society of equality and classlessness, but democratic institutions for the most part we're built right into the system from get go. Plus the Founding Founders didn't represent a tiny minority of either British born or descended nobility ruling over a people they considered barely above savages.

There's my two cents anyways.

May have to go back further and have a completely different Spanish colonization. Mexico could still become the name of one of the resulting states if it were based in the same area with the same capital.

May have to go back further and have a completely different Spanish colonization. Mexico could still become the name of one of the resulting states if it were based in the same area with the same capital.

I did some reading on the First Empire, and perhaps if the liberals would have retained their hold in Spain, the king would have accepted the crown of Mexico as separate state. Without supporting the monarchy directly and having him across the sea would have lead to a stabler empire and thus keeping their hold on Central America possibly.

You could also have a POD that alters Inturbide's personality and outlook on matters, or all together a different guy, and then you wouldn't have had an emperor trying to live an extravagant lifestyle while maintaining a standing army.

These are the best bets I can see to keep Mexico bigger while retaining a Mexican culture and society were familiar with (barring the obvious butterflies resulting from all of this).