WI: William or Harry marry a black girl

So what if one of the British princes ended up dating and possibly wanting to marry a black girl? Let's assume this hypothetical female is a British citizen and comes from a well to do family. I'm sure the media and certain segments of British society, and the world, would make a big deal out of it, for good or for ill. Anyone else have some thoughts on the matter?

youll always have some nutjobs whining about it, but tbh....no-one would care much

Despite what many might think of Obama, many people of color in the US feel much more apart of the US in a positive way, in regards to his winning the presidency. You could see a similar reaction in Britain.

Doubtful

The Royal family is not a part of British society for most people - it's a strange and separate thing. They are "ours" but not part of "us"

You'd actually get nutjobs from both sides - some against interracial marriage (few) and some accusing the poor girl of some "betrayal" of her race.

Mostly it is just another photo op for OK or Hello magazine

I'd think that way before the relationship reached the marrying stage Her Majesty would have a nice, long talk with the boy. It would never happen.

Devvy

Donor
So what if one of the British princes ended up dating and possibly wanting to marry a black girl? Let's assume this hypothetical female is a British citizen and comes from a well to do family. I'm sure the media and certain segments of British society, and the world, would make a big deal out of it, for good or for ill. Anyone else have some thoughts on the matter?

As a Brit, my reaction to her skin colour (similar to most other Brits I suspect) would be something along the lines of "couldn't care less".

It would mean a future King/Queen would be a nice shade of coffee as well!

Devvy

Donor
I'd think that way before the relationship reached the marrying stage Her Majesty would have a nice, long talk with the boy. It would never happen.

I doubt it. Her Maj has shown herself to be in tough with modern society on countless occasions. I'd suspect she'd talk to William to make sure he loved this girl, and they thought the marriage would last - but nothing that I'd wager she didn't say to Will regarding Kate anyhow.

Kongzilla

Banned
I think it would kind of happen like that nude scandal thing, all the magazines make a hoo ha and everyone else laughs.

To be honest I think that it'd be more an issue overseas than in the United Kingdom itself.

Ultimately though I doubt it'd be that big a deal, Britons of African descent are a long established group (making-up 2% of the population) and overall Britain, while of course having its issues with Racism, has never had the same dynamic as the countries of the America's have and thus apart from a minority of extremists the large majority of British society is'nt going to take issue with it and legally speaking their would be nothing against it.

If they truly loved each other, British society and the Royalty would accept it. If it was William, our future King or Queen would be a lovely shade of coffee, as well.

Devvy

Donor
To be honest I think that it'd be more an issue overseas than in the United Kingdom itself.

That's a pretty apt point. What would be the affects on the realms of Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc etc? I guess the Caribbean realms would be the most receptive to it?

I was thinking that too, being it would be more shocking outside the island. I've heard of racism in the UK, but it's more directed toward British Asians, particularly of the Muslim persuasion than Black British, but I'm hardly an expert, which is why the question was proposed. A British exchange teacher we had at my high school said in the UK it was more class than race that's the divisive issue.

I was thinking that too, being it would be more shocking outside the island. I've heard of racism in the UK, but it's more directed toward British Asians, particularly of the Muslim persuasion than Black British, but I'm hardly an expert, which is why the question was proposed. A British exchange teacher we had at my high school said in the UK it was more class than race that's the divisive issue.

I think the point would be that socially and legally it would be shocking if anyone expressed their displeasure at the marriage (at least in the UK).

It would certainly be a disciplinary offence at most workplaces to speak out against such a marriage and if sentiments were published there is a very good chance they could be construed as illegal.

If she's of the same social status as Kate - who is an unthinkable bride for any generation before this one - it'll be fine. Contrary to popular belief (read: assumed Americanisation of Britain) the great British stumbling block is class, not race. If William loved her and she wasn't of a sketchy background (and if she were, questions need to be answered about how she met him), it'd be fine if she was any colour under the sun.

There actually would be a 'Vandal' Queen unlike the last time (ie, Queen Charlotte, who was aledgedly African by ways of the Vandals). :cool:

Aside from that trivia, I assume very little. Aside from the fact the future Princesses may look like Halle Berry :D

British Israelites and Rastafarians would have heart attacks.
HM would likely approve, under most circumstances. The Duke of Edinburgh, on the other hand...