Inspired by this news article, recently posted in Pol Chat :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20579029

The vote to join the EU was very close, with 49,7 % of the voters voting "yes" and 50,3 % voting "no".

So, let's imagine that more Swiss citizens came to the referendum and voted "yes" or that they were simply convinced membership would be a good thing and they're numbers sufficiently outnumbered the voters that were against.

How would the past 20 ATL years have gone if the Swiss had voted to join the EU ?

Given Switzerland's economic and monetary ties with Liechtenstein, I could see that little country joining the Union as well, in a few years at the latest.

Wow, I didn't realize it was so close. Would Liechtenstein really join? I have a feeling some of the tax haven aspect would be put in jeopardy.

Wow, I didn't realize it was so close. Would Liechtenstein really join? I have a feeling some of the tax haven aspect would be put in jeopardy.

Yep, it is not out of the question. They could disband the economic union they have with Switzerland and adopt their own monetary unit (hm, Liechtenstein tallers ? :D), but other than that, their OTL economic status would definitely change if they got dragged by Switzerland into the EEC/EU and went along for the ride.

I doubt Liechtenstein would join. Monaco stays out despite France being in, the Channel Islands/Mann despite the UK being in, and San Marino and the Vatican despite Italy.

I doubt Liechtenstein would join. Monaco stays out despite France being in, the Channel Islands/Man despite the UK being in, and San Marino and the Vatican despite Italy.

That's true, but Switzerland being in the union would still affect the Liechtenstein economy, in any case.

I guess that, with one more nation in the Union, we'd see many a car adorned a blue EU licence plate with the "CH" acronym. ;)

In addition to Ireland there will be a second country that needs to vote on every new EU treaty, but given how Irelands votes are treated by the rest of Europe I don't think much will change. In the best case it might force the european political and economical elites to listen more to what the people actually want, but most likely they will just buy of Switzerland with additional privileges.

Switzerland will also argue in favor for more financial discipline but again it will be most likely ignored.

They will also try to make the EU more democratic but again the succes is unlikely.

So I don't think there will be many changes.

Last edited:
Tada ! Swiss EU registration plate. ;)

ATL Swiss EU registration plate.png

Inspired by this news article, recently posted in Pol Chat :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20579029

The vote to join the EU was very close, with 49,7 % of the voters voting "yes" and 50,3 % voting "no".

So, let's imagine that more Swiss citizens came to the referendum and voted "yes" or that they were simply convinced membership would be a good thing and they're numbers sufficiently outnumbered the voters that were against.

How would the past 20 ATL years have gone if the Swiss had voted to join the EU ?

Given Switzerland's economic and monetary ties with Liechtenstein, I could see that little country joining the Union as well, in a few years at the latest.

Slightly fewer jokes about Swiss neutrality. But only slightly.

Woud Switzerland be an euroskeptic country like Britain?

Maybe not that much, but I guess they would keep their distance when compared to other continental countries. If anything, it would be more of an alpine Czech Republic, Denmark or Sweden - in the EU, but still stubborn (and maybe even a bit snobbish) about its own standing within it.

That would require large political reform on Liechenstein's part, something it's Royal Family have been rather hostile towards.

That would require large political reform on Liechenstein's part, something it's Royal Family have been rather hostile towards.

No one is denying that. Liechtenstein is Liechtenstein, it has its own way of doing things...