What would a Jewish "homeland" in Africa be called?

hey, all. one thing i decided on just recently as part of my ASB ATL is that, in essence, the British Uganda Program is undertaken and many European Jews are "encouraged" to settle in an area of eastern Africa (legitimately in plenty of cases, but also forcefully deported and/or delivered there from antisemitic regions Underground Railroad-style)

due to previous changes to the timeline (and my own attempts to avoid convergent borders with OTL), the actual area the new state occupies is OTL southern Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, and a small part of the DRC; it borders the north, south, and western shores of Lake Victoria

now, does anyone have any ideas as to what this country could/would be called? i could always default back to "Uganda," but i feel that's kind of a cop-out.

also, what does everyone think would happen with this country? personally, i'm projecting that it could very well survive into the present-day, though one other thing i wanted to explore was this: at some point, large populations of Maasai are forced from their traditional regions into roughly the same area, potentially coming into conflict with the transplanted European Jews

The Vulture

Banned
Zion seems like the safe bet. I can see it being referred to as Uganda by anti-Zionists, or by the pejorative Jewganda.

This makes me wonder if there would be an ongoing Zionist-Ugandan conflict, troubles with Kenya and Zaire, and so on.

Wolfpaw

Banned
This makes me wonder if there would be an ongoing Zionist-Ugandan conflict, troubles with Kenya and Zaire, and so on.
Absolutely. It will be even worse than OTL's Israel-Palestine conflict because instead of dealing with a roughly approximate population, the Jews will always be vastly outnumbered by the native Africans. You've got a white settler state in the heart of Africa, that it happens to be Jewish is irrelevant.

Forget Jewganda, this is going to be Jewdesia.

Zion seems like the safe bet. I can see it being referred to as Uganda by anti-Zionists, or by the pejorative Jewganda.

As far as I can tell, I think no matter where a Jewish homeland is set up they are going to have problems with the native population. The only difference is that the conflict would not be nearly as fueled by religious tension. It would instead be more of a race war thing.

As far as I can tell, I think no matter where a Jewish homeland is set up they are going to have problems with the native population. The only difference is that the conflict would not be nearly as fueled by religious tension. It would instead be more of a race war thing.

The only place you wouldn't have a problem would be Patagonia; there just aren't very many people down there.

Wolfpaw

Banned
It'd be nice if Britain could've found a sparsely-populated rock like Hong Kong or a not-too-populous island like Singapore and set up a Jewish settlement there. An urban Jewish city-state makes far more sense to me than turning Jews into peasants and giving them someone else's land.

It'd be nice if Britain could've found a sparsely-populated rock like Hong Kong or a not-too-populous island like Singapore and set up a Jewish settlement there. An urban Jewish city-state makes far more sense to me than turning Jews into peasants and giving them someone else's land.

Why not give them New York? :p

Absolutely. It will be even worse than OTL's Israel-Palestine conflict because instead of dealing with a roughly approximate population, the Jews will always be vastly outnumbered by the native Africans. You've got a white settler state in the heart of Africa, that it happens to be Jewish is irrelevant.

Forget Jewganda, this is going to be Jewdesia

It might be said that you have an ear for such corny humor.

Or something like Namibia which is already pretty sparsely-populated.

Why not give them New York? :p

They already own it, but they are polite and allow it to remain part of US territory rather than Israeli territory for the sake of mutual goodwill. :D

Wolfpaw

Banned
Or something like Namibia which is already pretty sparsely-populated.
Not so sparse that the Germans didn't resort to a series of genocides to depopulate the land and "better" it for white settlement. The "Native Problem" won't go away even in Namibia.
They already own it, but they are polite and allow it to remain part of US territory rather than Israeli territory for the sake of mutual goodwill. :D
The Italians might dispute that.