Napoleon Creating A United Italy?

So I had this thought yesterday. What if Corsica was never sold to France. Napoleon grows up to be a military commander for Genoa (If I remember correctly, they controlled Corsica prior to France) and leads them on a conquest to unite all of Italy. Is this possible? I am not too familiar with Italian city state politics at the time or how foreign powers would intervene, so my apologies if this is completely ridiculous.

So I had this thought yesterday. What if Corsica was never sold to France. Napoleon grows up to be a military commander for Genoa (If I remember correctly, they controlled Corsica prior to France) and leads them on a conquest to unite all of Italy. Is this possible? I am not too familiar with Italian city state politics at the time or how foreign powers would intervene, so my apologies if this is completely ridiculous.

Well, the reason that Genoa sold Corsica to France is because there was a massive rebellion controlling it and they had no hope of taking it back.

Well, the reason that Genoa sold Corsica to France is because there was a massive rebellion controlling it and they had no hope of taking it back.

Yup. An independent Corsica supported by Britain is easy. A couple of British frigates in the right place at the right time and/or an appropriate declaration, and France would have had to back off. But a continued Genoan Corsica isnt in the cards at that point.

We've had a couple of tls that ended up with napoleon in the British navy.

Napoleon in the British navy? Can you link me to any of those?

And what if Napoleon's family immigrates to Genoa before Napoleon is born, or slightly after. Then could this idea be possible?

Napoleon became a military genius because of his military education in France I don't think Genoan military school can give him the same advantage.

And even if his education is sufficient, that doesn't mean he'll ever be in a position to even attempt this.

What other factors are in play? Did the French Revolution go as planned otherwise, keeping in mind that he diverted favor and blame of various other generals to his own benefit?

I read this title as meaning that Napoleon would sponsor a United Kingdom of Italy whilst he was Emperor of France. It would certainly be enormously popular with the Italians, although it probably have to go to one of his brothers rather than Murat. Still the idea is somewhat intriguing. If Napoleon creates a Kingdom of Poland and Italy it might give him some more allied support which could prove crucial when the war with Russia erupts.

However this sudden promotion of national interests would probably extend to everyone except the Germans, since of course that means France will in time be eclipsed.

Edit: Sharkani beat me to it. This ATL Napoleon could paint himself as a national liberator of sorts. However still difficult to get around the fact that each nationality he does sponsor creates more pressure on those nationalities he doesn't sponsor.

Why would Brits want Corsica, I wonder... The island is nicely strategicaly situated maybe, but way bigger than those Anglo-Normand islands, with a population who want some self rule - or hell is going to be paid... and rather poor in ressources, I think....

Why the 'merchants nation' would want it?

Because they figure that a protectorate in the bag is a good bargaining chip and better them than the French, maybe?

Not really worth the investment if held for a while. Had Napoleon never came, maybe France would have never snared that, and it would have went in Garibaldi's pocket. Maybe.

I admit not knowing the history of Corsica much, claims and all. Wasn't Genoa the previous holder? No Napoleon at all, maybe Garibaldi.

Not really worth the investment if held for a while. Had Napoleon never came, maybe France would have never snared that, and it would have went in Garibaldi's pocket. Maybe.

I admit not knowing the history of Corsica much, claims and all. Wasn't Genoa the previous holder? No Napoleon at all, maybe Garibaldi.
It's the Kingdom of France who annexed it in 1769 well before Napoleon rise.

Wasn't Garibaldi from Nice?

Faeelin

Banned
I read this title as meaning that Napoleon would sponsor a United Kingdom of Italy whilst he was Emperor of France. It would certainly be enormously popular with the Italians, although it probably have to go to one of his brothers rather than Murat. Still the idea is somewhat intriguing. If Napoleon creates a Kingdom of Poland and Italy it might give him some more allied support which could prove crucial when the war with Russia erupts.

Didn't Napoleon create a Kingdom of Italy in OTL? You can argue it should have been given more territory, but I think his decision to not include the Kingdom of Naples in it reflects a belief Southern Italy wasn't "Italian" at this point. Remember, the medieval Kingdom of Italy was also distinct from the Kingdom of Sicily.

Didn't Napoleon create a Kingdom of Italy in OTL? You can argue it should have been given more territory, but I think his decision to not include the Kingdom of Naples in it reflects a belief Southern Italy wasn't "Italian" at this point. Remember, the medieval Kingdom of Italy was also distinct from the Kingdom of Sicily.
Yup, he converted the Italian Republic into the Kingdom of Italy made up of what looks like Lombardy, Venetia, Ferrara, and the eastern part of the Papal State. However Piedmont, Liguria, Parma, Modena, Lucca, Tuscany, and the main part of the Papal States in central Italy were annexed directly to France, and as you said Naples was left out as well. Best case I can see happening is that either those areas are made a part of the Cisalpine Republic, the forerunner of the Italian Republic, or that once he's declared the Kingdom of Italy they get transferred back to it from France. He apparently took the title Emperor of the French and King of Italy which suggests that he considered it fairly important, if he's ruling both of them then a line of thought could be made that it's more of an administrative tidying up to put them back in Italy.

Napoleon in the British navy? Can you link me to any of those?

And what if Napoleon's family immigrates to Genoa before Napoleon is born, or slightly after. Then could this idea be possible?
Well, Thande's Look to the West (LTTW) which is currently on like book 4, has a Napoleon equivalent/alt-sib (who has anglicized his name to Leo Bone). I THINK there's been others.