How advanced could we have become by the year 2000

So, by the end of the twentieth century, what is the farthest mankind could have advanced in terms of technology and engineering?

Cook

Banned
So, by the end of the twentieth century, what is the farthest mankind could have advanced in terms of technology and engineering?
Extremely advanced; we could have all had personal portable communicators, small enough to fit in your pocket that could allow you to have a television conversation with another person; it’s be like something straight out of a Buck Rogers comic.

Honestly, I wonder now if it's a bit an overrated alt history bit... save the famous libraries, cut down conservatism... not sure if we will save more than say one or two century, MAX.

It's not religion the issue per see... the Vatican discretely pushed some sciences, actually, and well, the Golden Age of Islam.

It's fanatism of all kind.
i know, someone was gonna say it sooner or later might as well be me. we could speed up technology if we give more funding to certain people none to others have certain people live longer and others die sooner.

i know, someone was gonna say it sooner or later might as well be me. we could speed up technology if we give more funding to certain people none to others have certain people live longer and others die sooner.

I say it also because there is recent examples as Lysenkoism in USSR...

Is there any way to draw out the '73 oil crisis (which could see alternative modes of transport receiving research budgets)? Britain and France manage to prevent the German breakthrough, and thus mostly avert WW2?

I meant it to have a post-1900 POD, hence why I put it in this forum. Sorry for the confusion

Is there any way to draw out the '73 oil crisis (which could see alternative modes of transport receiving research budgets)? Britain and France manage to prevent the German breakthrough, and thus mostly avert WW2?

The Oil Crisises where missed opportunities to work on the fuel efficiency and general ecological improvement of cars... :mad:

Butterfly away WW1, depending what happens next you could conceivably get through the last 100 years with no world wars or Communist control of major nations. I'd say 20-30 years in advance of where we are now at least in most fields, possibly more. A few might be a bit behind, but not many.

Admiral Matt

Gone Fishin'
I don't think you could do much about WW1, it was almost certainly going to blow up sooner or later.

I don't know. By 1900 things were still far from set in stone. By 1912, say, I'll grant there was definitely too much momentum to realistically fight.