Island of Fire: Zoroastrian Zanzibar

Well, granted the main focus of power will be more toward Mombasa or Kilwa, but still. Come one, come all to see a tale of a Persian Merchant making way from Persia to East Africa due to a dispute at home leads to his semi-exile. Here on the Zanj Coast he makes a second home, even founds a city on Mombasa or Zanzibar around 540. His fortunes grows slowly once more as he forges trade between Zanzibar, Arabia, Persia, and India. Time continues to flow and so does his family as he passes away his son takes up the mantle of a strong merchant empire with strong connections across the Zanj Coast and across the Indian Ocean. All this time the interaction of man leads to those who dwell along the coast to take up the Faith of Fire. Time goes on further and upon the Call of Submission to Allah is heard in Arabia! Soon spreading to the four winds as the Caliphate even conquers ancient Persia. Muchly angry at this the descendents of the Persian Merchant give safe haven to Pagan Arabs and Persians who find safe haven and new opportunity along the Zanj Coast. These refugees settle along the coast forming new cities and melding into what would have been the Swahili Culture, but now is something new and different.

The descendents of the Persian Merchant encourage the spread of civilization throughout the coastline of Africa. Will they be able to stand the test of time against not only Muslim, but also upstart European?

Oh?

Well, mostly from here I am moving from the historical basis of extensive trade ties and immigration of Arab and Persian Merchants and such into the region. The area was hard to miss. Also, it allows for a population base to sustain development.

Oh?

Well, mostly from here I am moving from the historical basis of extensive trade ties and immigration of Arab and Persian Merchants and such into the region. The area was hard to miss. Also, it allows for a population base to sustain development.

Of one, it's closer to iran - the Maldives are populated by a peoples related to cinghaleses closely, if I am right, but Muslims they are. It was random, but not too much...

Note that Freddy Mercury came from Zanzibar ;) or so I heard

Delvestius

Banned
Of one, it's closer to iran - the Maldives are populated by a peoples related to cinghaleses closely, if I am right, but Muslims they are. It was random, but not too much...

Note that Freddy Mercury came from Zanzibar ;) or so I heard

Indeed, from parents of Gujarati descent, who were Zoroastrian Persians living in a small holdout minority community (or perhaps it was an emigration center).

Regardless... Zoroastrian Persians to Zanzibar? Heard :cool:

Cool. Make sure to get a few of them to the Comoros, which were just being settled at the time, would put them at another maritime crossroads, and have rich cash crop potential (Muslim sailors supposedly called them the Islands of Perfume in the tenth century).

Of Qeshm

"The shore and the sea, that is the life of me. Never have I ever lived or been far from the sea. Its beauty and its promises have always kept me close to its cold bosom. This is something I do not disparage for I have seen much and done much in my lifetime that is worthwhile and by the sea. So I do strike this account by affirming I was born between land and sea and the riches of both were all for me." -alleged memoir of Naveed Qeshmi

Naveed Qeshmi, grandfather of the First Shah of the Zangibar

Myths, Legends, and How They Shape History
George Worthington (1920)

Much like Osman's Dream or King Arthur, Naveed Qeshmi cuts a historical narrative that allowed for the foundations of a nation to be built upon. For the Zoroastrians of Zanj he is a figure that provides a historical and inter-social connection throughout the entire region. The myth of his figure is still used in modern times where Naveed Qeshmi has progressed from founding father to local god to literary icon. He is cited in hundreds of sources for thousands of feats fitting the occasions that he was invoked to provoke a moral lesson or historical reasoning.

Obviously enough his usage by the Zoroastrians of Zanj and the Kingdom of Zanzibar was for that of a political fore bearer to lay claim to rule over the large swath of territory along the eastern coast of Africa. Historically though historians can really only guess at his existence of not. Of course the first rulers of Zanzibar had to have had a grandfather to exists, but how much of his life was embellished by the Kingdom for legendary security and the common people for amusement.

Given the form of his name 'Qeshmi' we can conclude that he was a native to the island of Qeshm not far from from Hormuz. The "Book of the Lineage", a late 10th century novel that much like the "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" adds on large amounts of folklore to be passed off as a accurate historical account, was commissioned by the royal family to record the past deeds of the royal family. The book concludes the same that Naveed was from the island of Qeshm where he was born on the beach when the tide was coming in and he and his mother almost died if not for the intervention of Ahura Mazda. This is noteworthy in that it invests in his legend, and by extension his family, were blessed by their god. The book goes on to include numerous, flavorful tales of his life, but as historians all this can be dismissed. The most likely conclusion we can come to is that Naveed much like the majority of the island's population was born into a family that was involved with the main industries of the island- fishing, ship construction, and trade.

How he managed to find a home on Zanzibar is also a question that must be analyzed through a historical lens. Arab and Persian involvement in the Zanj Coast had by the time of the 6th century been going on for several hundred years, at least beginning in the 1st century. Here Arab, Persian, and Indian traders used monsoon winds to sweep their ships into the region and trade for local products such as ivory. There is historical evidence of small numbers of settlements made in this area, but the most likely presence was through merchants that decided to stay in the area and who knows how many bastards and half breeds born of sailors and local women. The "Book of Lineage" states that Naveed was accused of murder and theft which lead to his escape to the Zanj Coast. Which given its location it would be the perfect hiding spot for someone running away from rivals.

How he came to the area is also truly unknown. Some historians go as far as to say he was simply a sailor with no money to his name, while others argue that he at least came as a small time merchant prince with a few ships under his command. By whatever means over the years he sailed the region, Arabia, India, and home to Persia and by 540 at least had become well known and wealthy. Possibly through his silver tongue as reflected in the "Book of Lineage" as eventually he was pardoned for his accused crimes and he returned to Persia encouraging trade to the Zanj coast.

By his supposed death in 567 his son, Babar Shirazi, had taken over his father's holdings and was noted by several historical sources as encouraging the buying and building of settlements in the area. He was also known for his very fiery faith.

The Will of Fire

Medieval_Persian_manuscript_Muhammad_leads_Abraham_Moses_Jesus.jpg

Following the mythical death of his father the efforts of Persian Colonization of the East African Coast were maintained and expanded upon by Babar Shirazi. Taking upon his name Shirazi we can immediately discover that Babar was a native of the Shiraz region of Persia. The likely source of his beginning may have been from a liaison between Naveed and a daughter of a merchant friend from Shiraz. The early life of Shiraz seems to have been following in the footsteps of his father by managing his father's business in the region and eventually sailing several times to the Zanj Coast. Some recovered texts from the time period speak of several family disputes at the time, where Babar defended against allegations of others who claimed to be the sons of his father. It is possibly that faced with the 'loose morals' of his father and defending his position as first son he was driven to increasing piety of faith.

Like his father, Babar saw Zanj as a key interest to his future. Through the exploration of his father he began to stitch together a presence in the region establishing trade posts and encouraging traders aligned with him to invest in the region. Though, unlike his father he had a second motive, one focused on spreading the Zoroastrian Faith in the region. The first several discovered Fire Temples in the region are attributed to the patron-ship of Babar.

1.jpg

Given local materials the main structure of many of these Fire Temples were constructed from wood which generally degraded over time, but the inner sanctums of these temples were made of stone and thus survived the ravages of time. It is here in the base stones we can find the worn names of the builders and investors inscribed. The first several years the faithful were generally Persian traders who practiced the faith and thus giving to the small size of many Fire Temples. The faith would make inroads into the local population from inter-racial marriages between traders, sailors, and others that entered the area.

The pinnacle of Babar's life was also the establishment of the first, true settlement, "Harayu" or the Golden Waters on a island in a area described as the natives as "The Deep Harbor" (Mombasa).

Zoroastrian Africa? Intriguing.
I wonder how far the missionary work will reach. The Lake Kingdoms? The Congo? Madagascar? Please keep it coming. :D