WI: Comic Books Never Get Serious

Superhero Comics, at their origin, did have some modicum of seriousness, before quickly becoming outlandish and for children. The characters and stories were one dimensional, the bad guys were just bad guys, the characters were one dimensional and like costumed parents, the situations were outlandish and whacky, and they were written for children. No one had psychological motivations for doing what they did, and even when they did, it didn't explain why they were dressed up in a technicolor costume and doing crime or fighting crime.
As time went on, and you got Marvel which made two-dimensional people with feelings and motivations and relateability, and as we get into the later 60s, and into the 70s with DC, comics became more serious, and their characters became more three dimensional. And that seriousness carried into the 80s when things like "Watchmen" and "Dark Knight Returns" and "The Killing Joke" came out that got deep and dark and really dug into the brains of these characters and their motivations and why this was what it was and why they did what they did and how these sort of people would really be. It was like a psychiatrist going through the Golden and Silver age and really examining these characters, and it was in that regards a reinvention of them to be true to themselves. Sometimes that wasn't always best when you have characters invented during the Golden and Silver age for kids, and then make them a deep psychological portrait where they're a rapist or something.

But what if that did not happen, and comic books remained one dimensional, *biff* *pow* *kaponk* stuff with zany, whacky situations that were meant for kids?

Last edited:
I think you may be overrating the camp factor prior to the Dark and Gritty bent. Just going by Aquaman, he dealt with some heavy stuff and stories even before the 1990s turned the title even more serious.

If anything, the dark and serious bent is what killed comics - Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns and the like parked the ultra-serious/hardcore 1990s Dark Age, where Liefeldian crap and 'serious' stories like Knightfall and Death of Superman caused the great comics crash in 1995/96, from which the industry has never fully recovered.

You're better off seeking a median - see Crisis on Infinate Earths for a good example. It's still 'gee-whiz' yet not just for kids.

One of the other factors that have help to depress the comic market was changing how comics were sold. There used to be a time you could go into any convenience store, news stand, generic book store etc... and find racks full of comics to buy. In the late 80's and early 90's that model changed to more of a boutique model, and the comics were pulled out of the convenience stores, news stands and generic books stores and shifted to comic book stores for the most part.

Torqumada

If comics stay for Kids, then as the price increases in the 1980's we will see most of the comics die as the price rises beyond level that most kids could afford.

It likely that there would have never been any independent comics companies , so no Image comics, No Dark Horse, No First comics.

I would think that Marvel would go under sometime in the 1990's. It had real world money problems, and if comic never get serious than Marvel going to go under.

DC heroes Batman and Superman would most likely still be printed but the Company going to be much smaller with fewer titles. DC with out the success of projects like Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns will not have the resources to keep it large number of title going. No Swamp Thing, No Sandman title, No Nolen Batman Movies.

One of the other factors that have help to depress the comic market was changing how comics were sold. There used to be a time you could go into any convenience store, news stand, generic book store etc... and find racks full of comics to buy. In the late 80's and early 90's that model changed to more of a boutique model, and the comics were pulled out of the convenience stores, news stands and generic books stores and shifted to comic book stores for the most part.

Torqumada
This. Honestly, comic book stores are killing comics, and they need to be sold at retailers, convenience stands and news stands again. Book store collections need to be expanded. Yes, I feel sorry for all those people out of a job, but when we're talking about the medium, I feel it's a necessary evil.

In Europe you can still get comics pretty much everywhere magazines and newspapers are sold. (Disney comics, at least.) Which is why Disney is more popular here than in the US AFAIK.

Strange situation. What do the Americans do who live in places that don't have a comic book store?

In Europe you can still get comics pretty much everywhere magazines and newspapers are sold. (Disney comics, at least.) Which is why Disney is more popular here than in the US AFAIK.

Strange situation. What do the Americans do who live in places that don't have a comic book store?

Where I live, there is a comic book store 15 minutes away, but in town, there is a comic rack in the newsstand store. I don't know about the rest of your towns.

I really don't see how you manage it. Nobody expected comics readers to keep reading as they got older--but they did, & they demanded more sophisticated & realistic stories & characters. (Some of this was thanks to less-literate adult readers, & generally lower literacy rates.) Add the price creep, it's not long before kids simply can't afford comics. (When they went from $0.30 to $0.50, I seriously considered stopping. When they finally hit $1...if not for Scout & Sable, I'd have stopped.)

It's possible IMO to avoid the "gritty age" by butterflying Watchmen, but a return to, or persistence of, the "campy Batman age" seems impossible.

BTW, GA Bats wasn't kid-friendly: like a lot of pulp heroes, he was throwing people off buildings.:eek:

About what kind of comic books are you talking? How many pages etc? In Germany we had the Micky Mouse magazine, 48 pages, A4, four colors, for way more than a dollar. Once per week.