[Advice Me] Longest Possible WW2?

Hello, I'm pretty sure this is a questions people already have given some thought - but the search function seems to have given up on me, so I thought I'd ask.

How long could you possibly make world war 2 last given the following prerequisites:
1. the war can't be a "cold war", there has to be military action between the participants (although it can be limited in scope or a stalemate)
2. Germany, Britain, USA and the Soviet Union stays in the war, none of those countries are "out"

Any advice appreciated.

Well, you need at least two things, and most likely three.

A) Soviets need to be a lot less successful
B) Allies need to be a lot less successful precluding Overlord
C) A-bomb must be delayed

Each of these are pretty hard to get on their own and all three in combo would be borderline ASBs. IMHO, only a radical change of the entire top brass in Germany saves them from blunders they've committed in 1943, when they irrevocably surrendered initiative to the Red Army. They need to inflict such a critical losses on the Soviets as to make their 1944 offensives a lot more limited.

B requires most likely a prolonged African campaign. There are a few possibilities here, but extremely unlikely and depending on continuous blundering on the part of the Allies, but I am virtually sure that nothing can prevent eventual victory for the Allies in Africa. I don't know if anybody considered a WI for a successful Compass that would lead to a lot more static Med theatre, allowing for few opportunities for Allies to gain experience in amphibious operations on the scale necessary to execute Overlord successfully.

The final point is, according to some easy. My opinion is that it is very hard to make Manhattan project slower. US scientists left no stone unturned and researched in parallel every avenue available till they found a way to make a bomb a reality.

Calbear had a pretty good timeline that had it lasting into the 50's

Except the POD was pretty much thin. By his own admission. It was more of tour-de-force to a fully fledged Nazi world done in extremely detailed and well research fashion and horrifyingly convincing.

In truth, Germans sealed heir fate in December 1941.

Pedestal failing or Malta falling by some other PoD could extend the med feild of conflict and adversly affect allied action generally quite a lot - might not dramatically lengthen the war but it would certainly disrupt the chain of OTL events and slow allied action.

Middle Sea

Nothing has to go right after Dunkirk (this at least has to happen to keep England in the war) up until the end of 1942.

Italy and Germany clear all allied presence in the Med, up to and including the Suez canal, with Italy holding on to Ethiopia and Iraq kicking out the British presence.

Vichy France becomes more than just a puppet (Madagascar and Syria hold out), and with the aid of Franco's Spain the African Atlantic seaboard would destroy the premise for Torch, effectively cutting Great Britain off from India, ergo Japan runs riot. But stopped on India's borders and Papua New Guinea.

The fight back will have to start right back in the Persian Gulf (the first Gulf War), say two years to clear out Africa. Late 1944 to even contemplate an attack on either Spain or Italy.

Anaxagoras

Banned
A POD involving the Allies attempting Operation Sledgehammer and failing disastrously, combined with a derailed Manhattan Project, might do the trick.

Kongzilla

Banned
If you want to stop the a-bomb program just get them to have 1 number wrong with the calculations or have it explode killing 95% of the scientists working on it. A lot could go wrong and it wouldn't be ASB

Anaxagoras

Banned
If you want to stop the a-bomb program just get them to have 1 number wrong with the calculations or have it explode killing 95% of the scientists working on it. A lot could go wrong and it wouldn't be ASB

I agree. Lots of people on the board assume that delaying or derailing the A-bomb project is ASB. I don't think so, because there is a literally endless series of possible PODs that could achieve it. Anyone who thinks otherwise should read Richard Rhodes' book "The Making of the Atomic Bomb".

Cook

Banned
The earlier the delay to nuclear science and research, the consequently longer delay to development of the atomic bomb.

In December 1938 Lise Meitner, Otto Hahn and Robert Frisch conducted a series of experiments that resulted in confirmation of nuclear fission in Uranium, which they published in February 1939. If however, Meitner had been beaten to death during the Anschluss in 1938 (a common enough event) instead of successfully fleeing to Sweden, that would have prevented the their collaboration and delayed the discovery of nuclear fission, anywhere from six months to a year.

Other simple alternatives after the war has commenced are:

Have the ‘Maud telegram’ interpreted correctly and therefore not resulting in a belief that the Nazis were working on a bomb.

Have Mark Oliphant’s trip to the United States in 1941 delayed for a couple of months or have his plane crash into the Atlantic (a not uncommon event at the time), that alone could delay the start of theManhattan Project by anything up to six months.

Quite a number of the early experiments were initially inconclusive and needed to be repeated before a positive result was obtained, just have the same flaw in the experiment go unnoticed, resulting in an erroneous belief in the amount of uranium required for a critical mass. At one stage it was believed that thirty tons of Uranium would be required for a nuclear explosion to take place; with such impractical amounts, no-one would try to develop a bomb and the emphasis would be on nuclear power for submarines (as it was in America before Oliphant went there and asked about a bomb).

Dirk_Pitt

Banned
I would have Japan successfully destroy America's Carriers and have a longer much more successful(for the Germans) Then have a failed Operation Torch AND Operation Overlord. Hell, you can have the war that lasts well into the '50s and then it would transform into a cold war.

here's my 2 cents on how to get a better German performance and a longer war:

1. Norway has to go a little bit worse, enough for Hitler to loose confidence in the Kriegsmarine
  2. Dunkirk is taken early and the Allied armies have to collapse (no fight to the death or anything)
  3. France falls as OTL (no evac to Algeria)
  4. Canaris has to be exposed
  5. Following 2) and 3), Franco enters the war early in the mistaken belief that it is almost finished, just like Benny
  6. Hitler has to accept that, while Sealion is great as a bluff, it cannot be succesfully executed (possibly as a result of 1.) Instead, have him agree to the proposal of fighting the British in the Med and Atlantic while threatining invasion
  7. A deal with Benny regarding German deployment in Africa has to be reached at all cost (concession galore), even if the units are, at first, under Italian command.
  8. The Italian disaster in Egypt has to be prevented and the Iraqi rebellion propped up long enough for the Suez to be reached (which can be done if the right steps are taken against the rather small British force), at which point the British would evacuate most of their fleet into the Red Sea, allowing the axis the opportunity to ship units into Syria
  9. Gibraltar gets taken
  10. Malta surrenders following 7) and 8)
  11. With German Panzers and a Berlin-friendly regime in Iraq, Iran picks what it thinks is the winning side
  12. Barbarossa has to be planned out as a multi-year campaign
  13. Stalin needs to die and a power struggle has to ensue
  14. Moscow has to be taken without crippling the Wehrmacht in 1941 following a Typoon-analougue. Only possible given 12) and 13). The fall of Moscow will seriously hinder Soviet efforts
  15. In every summer following the fall of Moscow, Germany has to perform at least as good as in Case Blue regarding casualty ratios while avoiding overstretch and also managing the ensuing winters without loosing entire armies.
If the A-Bomb is also delayed, than I guess things could go like this with the allied counter-offensives

Italian East Africa - Summer 1942
French West Africa - Winter 1942
Iran - Summer 1943
Iraq - Winter 1943
Morroco - Winter 1943
Algeria - Spring 1944
Syria & Palestine - Spring 1944
Norway - Autumn 1944
Southern Spain - Spring 1945
Central Spain - Summer 1945
Tunisia, Libya & Egypt - Autumn 1945
Northern Spain - Autumn 1945
Sicilly & Sardinia - Spring 1946
Southern Italy - Spring 1946
Central Italy, Corsica - Summer 1946
Southern France - Summer 1946
Central & Northern France - Autumn 1946
Low Countries - Winter 1946
Northern Italy - Spring 1947
Ruhr Valley - Spring 1947
Berlin - Summer 1947

Kongzilla

Banned
If you manage to take moscow you could do more than just hinder the soviet union, you could cripple it. Knowing Stalin had a bit of anger issues and during the opening phase of Barbarossa he was a little bit on edge I could see the ones in charge of the army getting a bullet between the eye.

bit of inspiration taken from CalBears timeline but it isn't unreasonable. but there is no way Germany is going to take all Russia it's just to big but they could prevent Russia from making any offensives and major contribution to the war, have germany take up a hardened defensive line somewhere maybe the Volga river I don't know.

I don't know much about the spy games that were going on during ww2 but maybe Stalin has a spy in the Manhattan project and has classified files in his office. Maybe he forgets them when he evacuates and so it falls into the Germans hands giving them insight into nuclear weapons. (That sounds ridiculous even to me and I thought of it but maybe I don't know much about the nuclear weapons and spy stuff.)

Hello, I'm pretty sure this is a questions people already have given some thought - but the search function seems to have given up on me, so I thought I'd ask.

How long could you possibly make world war 2 last given the following prerequisites:
1. the war can't be a "cold war", there has to be military action between the participants (although it can be limited in scope or a stalemate)
2. Germany, Britain, USA and the Soviet Union stays in the war, none of those countries are "out"

Any advice appreciated.

Does the US have to enter the war at the same time as OTL?

Because one easy way to extend the war is to delay U.S. entry.

If FDR retires in 1940 - his successor might be a hard-line Isolationist. If it's Sen. Burton Wheeler (D-MT), who was in fact preparing to run if FDR stepped down, the U.S. will go to war only if directly attacked, and will provide no aid whatever to any belligerent. This will end only when Wheeler leaves office - probably in 1945.

Possible narrative...

I'll drop in two divergences, both fairly reasonable probability.

1936 July: General Sanjurjo, intended caudillo of the Spanish military rebellion against the Republic, flies from Lisbon to Salamanca in the 7-seat DeHavilland Dragon Rapide that had brought Franco from the Canaries to Morocco. (OTL, Sanjurjo accepted the invitation of "daring aviator" Antonio Ansaldo to fly in Ansaldo's two-seater, but insisted on taking a trunk full of dress uniforms. The overloaded plane crashed after take-off, and Sanjurjo was killed.) The Spanish Civil War plays out roughly as OTL. Knock-on: anyone who would do that is romantic and impulsive. Sanjurjo, feeling that Spain owes Germany for help in defeating the Reds, brings Spain into the war on the German side.

1939 October: Colonel Gustave Bertrand of French intelligence, director of the code breaking center at Vignolles, gets promoted to a job in Paris. Bertrand's replacement, Lafourche, is a hard driver.

Back in 1930, Bertrand had acquired manuals and sample texts for Germany's new "Enigma" cipher system, which he turned over to Poland. This allowed the Poles to break Enigma. By 1939, German upgrades had re-blocked Enigma, but the Poles expected to re-break it. They gave all their work to Britain and France, and after the fall of Poland, the Polish analysts escaped to France, where they went to work under Bertrand's direction (in collaboration with GCCS at Bletchley Park).

Bertrand was not an energetic manager - he liked long formal lunches, attended by the whole staff and lasting well into the afternoon. Enigma was not re-broken till April 1940.

Lafourche pushes the staff hard, and the break comes in March.

Knock-on: Enigma decrypts provide clear warning of the German invasion of Norway. The Allies easily crush most of the German attacks, and the invasion is a debacle.

Consequences: (straight narrative hereafter).

The Norway debacle was a nasty shock to Hitler and the Wehrmacht. Fall GELB ("Case YELLOW"), the attack in the west, was postponed from early May to June.

Then a second shock came in. The dazzling success in Norway, off the Enigma decrypts, was too good a story not to be spread. Neither France nor Britain had established the ULTRA security that existed later OTL; too many people wanted to brag. Nobody spoke openly, but bits of the story passed to friends, to mistresses, then to mistresses' friends and to their lovers, to friendly diplomats and then to foreign governments...

German intelligence picked up a host of clues, and a clever analyst assembled the pieces. The Germans realized that Enigma was compromised. Fall GELB was delayed two months while the Germans reviewed Enigma, identified some of the weaknesses, and then issued new procedures and equipment.

This delay had an effect in U.S. politics. FDR had not declared whether he would run again. A third term would break an unwritten rule. But he also felt that his policies and abilities could be required to get the U.S. through the war period. With the war stalemated, and the Allies in good position, that fear abated, and FDR announced his retirement to the Democratic convention. The convention was up for grabs, as no serious candidate had yet stepped forward. The nomination went to Sen. Burton Wheeler (D-MT), who as an ardent New Dealer was an appropriate match for Republican Wendell Willkie. Wheeler was also a fanatic Isolationist.

Wheeler was elected. Willkie was a novice campaigner, and Wheeler was not handicapped by the third-time issue. Late in the campaign, Willkie adopted an interventionist stance, hoping to peel off some of Wheeler's support; but he only alienated midwestern Republicans. (The really strong interventionist element among Democrats was Southerners, who weren't voting Republican for any reason.)

Back in Europe - Fall GELB began on August 10. The Allies had used the intervening three months to prepare more, but the sudden blackout of Enigma in July blinded them to key elements of German preparations. When the attack started, they were taken by surprise, after 11 months of "sitzkrieg".

They were also surprised by what Hitler had talked his allies into. Sanjurjo quickly agreed to join the attack; Mussolini was reluctant, but Hitler bullied him into it. The Spanish and Italian attacks were not especially effective, but they drew off much French strength at a critical moment.

The German attack was a decisive success. The hidebound French command could not cope with the fast moving German forces. By early September, Allied forces were in complete rout; the last Allied forces surrendered or evacuated by the end of September.

-----------------------------------------------

The rest in summary:

Axis airpower drove Allied naval forces out of the western Mediterranean. The Axis took Corsica, invaded Morocco from Spanish Morocco, Tunisia from Libya, and Egypt from Libya. French North Africa fell by December. Intelligence from Enigma decrypts could have aided the Allies greatly, but they had none.

The Canary Islands had been reinforced in preparation for war, and an Allied invasion failed. The Battle of the Atlantic turned very bad for the Allies. The Axis invasion of Egypt failed though, and the Allies conquered Italian East Africa. Also the Axis march south from Morocco was stopped in the deserts of Mauritania.

President Wheeler in his inaugural stated that the U.S. would never fight in defense of another country's colonial possessions. This was clearly a green light for Japanese attack on the Allies in southeast Asia and the Pacific, which came in April. Indochina, Malaya, and the East Indies fell by May 1941. The Royal Navy was routed in the Indian Ocean and South Pacific.

Japanese fleets roamed out to occupy all of Melanesia and Polynesia (except American Samoa, the Line Islands, and the Hawaiian Chain - carefully respecting U.S. neutrality). Australia and New Zealand were forced to declare neutrality in July.

To all calls for U.S. intervention, President Wheeler responded that these events were happening 8,000 miles from the U.S. and were none of our business.

The Allies were at lowest ebb when Hitler overreached by invading the USSR in June 1941. Stalin however was not taken by surprise; he could see that Hitler was nearly done with the western Allies and ready to turn east. With Soviet forces on full alert, the Axis attack ran into a buzzsaw.

Soviet forces were still poorly organized and recovering from the Great Purge, so the Axis attack was successful - but not a great success. Axis forces captured Crimea, Kiev, Smolensk, and Novgorod, but stopped well short of Moscow and Leningrad. Finland refused to join the attack, as her Arctic territories were exposed to Soviet and western Allied attack (from Norway), and she would lose access to imports via Norway and Sweden.

------------------------------------------------
Summarizing faster.

1943-1944: The western Allies hold in NW Africa and Egypt. The Battle of the Atlantic remains grim, but Britain hangs on - barely. Japan makes no further major moves in Asia, concentrating against China, with occasional raids on British forces in the Indian Ocean. The Axis and USSR struggle, with neither side gaining ground. Britain initiates a major air campaign against German.

Reports of German and Japanese atrocities, Japanese attacks on Australia and New Zealand, and agitation by Communists and their sympathizers (reversed from 1940), shift American opinion strongly toward intervention. Wheeler agrees to a massive U.S. defense buildup, including deployment of 250,000 troops in the Philippines, but vetoes any expenditure toward intervention - he has just enough support in Congress to hold on - nearly all from Republicans, ironically.

In 1944, Republicans split on intervention, with the Isolationists narrowly retaining control and nominating Lindbergh. In a mirror of 1864, the Democrats repudiate Wheeler and adopt the name "Eagle Party", forming a fusion with interventionist Republicans.

The Eagle Party wins in a landslide, and on January 24, 1945 the U.S. declares war on the Axis.
---------------------------------------------------------
What about the Bomb? There has been no Manhattan Project. President Wheeler barred any cooperation with the Allies on such; the Allies have done what they can at Chalk River in Canada, but they haven't had significant budget. Probably Fermi, Szilard, and Wigner go there.

Thus the project has to start almost from scratch - and has to compete with the "conventional war", which needs every nickel, as it is much worse than in OTL 1942.

I'm not going to try to narrate the rest. The U.S. does have the advantage of four years of military build-up. It was not on the scale of OTL's war build-up, but a bunch of ESSEX-class carriers, Sherman tanks, B-17s, and so on are already in service. (The big ships are especially important, due to lead time.) The Army is up to 3.5M men, the Navy to 1.5M. (This is only 1/3 of OTL's max, but vastly greater than OTL's Dec 1941 level, and it's better prepared due to the steady growth over 3 years.)

Western Allied strategy:

Toward Germany -
Regain control of the Atlantic. This requires driving the Axis from NW Africa, with an overland campaign from West Africa. (1945)
Invasion of Spain, with secondary campaigns to take Sicily, Sardinia, Corsica, and the Balearics. (1946)
Invasions of France from Spain, England, and Corsica. (1947)
Secondary campaign into southern Italy and the Dodecanese (secure the Med). (1947)
Drive across France into Germany. (1947)
Invasion of Denmark from Norway. (1948)
Meet the Soviets in Berlin. (1948)

NOTE: lavish aid to the Soviets, all via Murmansk - the route past Norway is safe and Leningrad is not besieged. This saves much shipping compared to Iran or Vladivostok, and also rail haulage.

Towards Japan -
This will get interesting. Presumably Japan is aware that the U.S. will go to war as soon as Wheeler leaves office. But meanwhile the U.S. will pour troops, planes, and ships into the Philippines. Does Japan wait for the U.S. or attack first? Until Japan attacks, Wheeler blocks U.S. intervention and Japan has a free hand in the South Pacific, but the U.S. has a free hand to build up the Philippines. It's not an obvious choice for Japan. Possibly Japan waits till it has finished its conquest of the South Pacific.

Also - the U.S. will have a Germany-first policy, but cannot ignore Japan, which is at war with the other western Allies. "Liberating" Australia and New Zealand will be a political priority. So the U.S. will be at war with Japan.

Assume Japan waits (which makes for a longer war). The Philippines and Guam are under siege immediately. Wake Island is a fortress. U.S. strategy has to be...

Hold Wake, neutralize the Marshalls (destroy all air/naval forces) (1945)
Drive the Japanese from the Indian Ocean. (1945)
Relieve Guam, neutralize the Marianas. (1945)
Secondary drive to link up with New Zealand and Australia. (1945)
Relieve the Philippines. (How long can 300,000 fully equipped and supplied troops hold out?) (1946)
Blockade and bomb Japan. (1947)
Invade Okinawa and Volcano Islands. (1947)
Invade Japan (or nuke 'em). (1948)

So there's my guesstimate - 1948. By 1949, the Allies have the Bomb, and that ends the war for sure.

Last edited:
What would have happened if Hitler had decided not to attack the Soviet Union and concentrated on the western front? Also suppose that he succeeds in persuading Stalin to join his side making Soviet Union an Axis member? Stalin decides to put his forces on the side of Germany in Europe and Japan in Asia. Japan do not attack Pearl Harbor but attack the British and the French colonies in Asia. Surely the WWII would have gone a lot longer and the result also could have been different.

Last edited:
Kishan said:
What would have happened if Hitler had decided not to attack the Soviet Union
Not, not going to happen.:eek::eek: Hitler's #1 mania was destroying the SU, exceeded only by his desire to be rid of Jews.
Rich Rostrom said:
Because one easy way to extend the war is to delay U.S. entry.

If FDR retires in 1940 - his successor might be a hard-line Isolationist. If it's Sen. Burton Wheeler (D-MT), who was in fact preparing to run if FDR stepped down, the U.S. will go to war only if directly attacked, and will provide no aid whatever to any belligerent. This will end only when Wheeler leaves office - probably in 1945.
This sounds credible.
Rich Rostrom said:
Knock-on: Enigma decrypts provide clear warning of the German invasion of Norway. The Allies easily crush most of the German attacks, and the invasion is a debacle.

...Then a second shock came in. The dazzling success in Norway, off the Enigma decrypts, was too good a story not to be spread. Neither France nor Britain had established the ULTRA security that existed later OTL; too many people wanted to brag. Nobody spoke openly, but bits of the story passed to friends, to mistresses, then to mistresses' friends and to their lovers, to friendly diplomats and then to foreign governments...

German intelligence picked up a host of clues, and a clever analyst assembled the pieces. The Germans realized that Enigma was compromised. Fall GELB was delayed two months while the Germans reviewed Enigma, identified some of the weaknesses, and then issued new procedures and equipment.
Further knock-on: it causes Raeder & Dönitz change immediately to a 4-rotor Enigma, while Dönitz examines his comm traffic theory for controlling rudeln.

By 1941, Dönitz has decided to desist from requiring periodic reporting, leaving his boats on radio silence for most of their patrol duration. (Needless to say, this offers many fewer opportunities for Allied DF & crypto.:eek:)

This has significant impact on convoy losses...:eek: Enough for Stirlings to be turned over to Coastal Command, almost surely. For a few squadrons to be based in Newfoundland? For them to get H2S first?

Another proposal: Dönitz decides to put the Type XXI on higher priority. (This seems to need more *VLRs, especially with radar.)
Rich Rostrom said:
Intelligence from Enigma decrypts could have aided the Allies greatly, but they had none.
Except, why do the Germans think its compromised? Because of a spy? That was the usual belief. They simply refused to believe anybody could, or would, spend the effort to break it. Once they were satisfied they'd found no spy...
Rich Rostrom said:
Australia and New Zealand were forced to declare neutrality in July.
Nonsense. Japan could never apply enough combat power to enforce that.
Rich Rostrom said:
Stalin however was not taken by surprise; he could see that Hitler was nearly done with the western Allies and ready to turn east. With Soviet forces on full alert, the Axis attack ran into a buzzsaw.
:rolleyes: This is the same Stalin who OTL was desperately trying to stall Hitler with every possible concession while he builds up Soviet forces in case Hitler betrays him....
Rich Rostrom said:
Britain hangs on - barely.
Without U.S. shipbuilding? I'm very dubious. Without U.S. shipbuilding and without any changes in Coastal Command?:eek::rolleyes: Don't bet on it.
Rich Rostrom said:
Britain initiates a major air campaign against German.
If she's barely hanging on, without U.S. aid (& by appearances, Wheeler wouldn't be giving it), how's she finding the resources for this?

Or is Bomber Command attacking canals & railways, & mining rivers & such?
Rich Rostrom said:
shift American opinion strongly toward intervention.
Don't bet on it.:rolleyes: There was a pretty even split at around 70%, in favor of "do something" & "against war"....:confused: (Which proves about 70% of the public didn't understand the question.:rolleyes:)
Rich Rostrom said:
nominating Lindbergh
With his seeming Nazi sympathies?:confused: I really doubt it.:rolleyes:
Rich Rostrom said:
Eagle Party wins in a landslide, and on January 24, 1945 the U.S. declares war on the Axis.
Very convenient.:rolleyes:
Rich Rostrom said:
The U.S. does have the advantage of four years of military build-up. It was not on the scale of OTL's war build-up, but a bunch of ESSEX-class carriers, Sherman tanks, B-17s, and so on are already in service. (The big ships are especially important, due to lead time.)
Against Japan, adding a couple of dozen Gatos means the surviving Sugar boats can be surplussed off to Britain or Canada for training, or to France, Poland, Czechoslovakia, or Norway.
Rich Rostrom said:
Regain control of the Atlantic. This requires driving the Axis from NW Africa
Really? Why? Or do you presume U-boat ops from Morocco, too? In which case, the chances of the Brits "holding on" have gotten drastically dimmer....:eek:
Rich Rostrom said:
Invasions of France from Spain
:eek::eek: First, you have to conquer Spain.:eek:
Rich Rostrom said:
Secondary campaign into southern Italy and the Dodecanese
With Britain desperately short of bottoms, thanks to the privations of U-boats? Even if the Type XXI isn't accelerated? By now, Coastal Command should have a/c & radar enough to make the Bay of Biscay pretty hazardous, so the Type XXI should be in service--& that f*cks the Brit SLOCs in a way hard to imagine.:eek::eek::eek:
Rich Rostrom said:
Drive across France into Germany. (1947)

Meet the Soviets in Berlin. (1948)
And, naturally, the Germans have made no improvements to their defenses in all this time. Even tho British bombing is liable to be less. Even tho there's no U.S. bombing at all. So R4Ms & Me-262s & V-1s never appear or cause havoc...:rolleyes:

I also wonder why it takes the Sovs a full three years longer.
Rich Rostrom said:
lavish aid to the Soviets, all via Murmansk
From the same U.S. that's refusing to aid Britain?:confused::confused::rolleyes:
Rich Rostrom said:
Drive the Japanese from the Indian Ocean. (1945)
:confused::confused::confused: If the U.S. holds the P.I. & has strong naval & air forces there, she can choke Japan's main SLOC, through the Luzon/Formosa Straits, in a matter of months.:rolleyes: Japan's ability to seize the P.I., which you're casually handwaving, in the face of this is in serious question.
Rich Rostrom said:
Relieve Guam
When did Guam fall?:confused:
Rich Rostrom said:
Secondary drive to link up with New Zealand and Australia. (1945)
"Link up"? As opposed to OTL's "withdraw to" why?:confused: (Presuming Japan has the manpower to take the P.I. in the face of "300,000 fully equipped and supplied troops", which I seriously doubt.:rolleyes:)
Rich Rostrom said:
Relieve the Philippines. (1946)
:rolleyes:
Rich Rostrom said:
Blockade and bomb Japan. (1947)
Begin in 1947? If war starts in 1945 & the U.S. has that much combat power in the P.I., & doesn't fall back on Australia, the blockade will begin on day 1 of the war & be over before 1947.:rolleyes:
Rich Rostrom said:
Invade Okinawa and Volcano Islands. (1947)
Very unlikely to be necessary. It won't take even the months it did OTL, you can be sure.
Rich Rostrom said:
Preposterous. Japan was angling for surrender terms in April 1945 OTL; TTL, she would be within about a year of war, 18mo the outside. Invasion would never, ever be seriously considered necessary.

Good chance calls for Soviet aid aren't, either, which means no joint Sov occupation of Korea (so no Korean War--& no M*A*S*H":eek:), nor a Sov invasion of Manchuria, nor (consequently) CCP victory in the Chinese Civil War.

How did Wheeler stand on decolonization? Would he have turned Vietnam back to France? If he's more inclined to tell France to go screw, you've also butterflied the 10,000 Day War.:cool::cool::cool: (You've also wiped out Oliver Stone's career.:cool: And killed "Tour of Duty".:eek: And Bolan.:eek::eek: And had serious impact on "Magnum" & "Simon & Simon".:eek: And probably butterflied away Howard Hunter.:eek:)

Last edited:
Then a second shock came in. The dazzling success in Norway, off the Enigma decrypts, was too good a story not to be spread. Neither France nor Britain had established the ULTRA security that existed later OTL; too many people wanted to brag. Nobody spoke openly, but bits of the story passed to friends, to mistresses, then to mistresses' friends and to their lovers, to friendly diplomats and then to foreign governments...

Except, why do the Germans think its compromised? Because of a spy? That was the usual belief. They simply refused to believe anybody could, or would, spend the effort to break it. Once they were satisfied they'd found no spy...

I provided an explanation (which is quoted here). After the spectacular success of ambushing the Weserubung forces off Enigma decrypts, people in the Allied countries who knew about it talked too much.

The credit for the Enigma break belonged in part to Poland, to Britain, and to France, and all three thought they deserved first billing. Bertrand felt that his role was sadly neglected, and passed hints to friendly journalists. The Poles wanted credit for this great Allied victory - they were tired of being mocked as the brave-but-stupid people who made cavalry charges against tanks. The British had done most of the work and had executed the ambushes.

And so they all talked too much. They gloated. They said things to other Allied people who didn't need to know, and who said things to yet other Allied people, and to neutrals. And so a mass of suggestive details got out.

And yes, the Germans were suspicious about signal security, because the ambushes had been so neatly staged. Remember that throughout the war OTL, the Allies took great care never to use Enigma intelligence in a way that would point to successful decryption. Those controls were set up in late 1940, when Britain was the sole custodian of the Enigma secret; in April 1940 they didn't exist.

Australia and New Zealand were forced to declare neutrality in July.
Nonsense. Japan could never apply enough combat power to enforce that.
The nearest Allied warships are in East Africa. There are no combat aircraft or AA guns to speak of in Australia or New Zealand. There is nothing, except distance, to prevent Japanese warships from steaming up and down the coasts of A&NZ, bombarding, bombing and strafing at will.

In OTL 1942, Australians felt threatened by Japan, and Britain could do nothing to protect them - despite the massive contributions of Australia to Britain's war effort. Tens of thousands of Australians were taken prisoner in Malaya, due to British incompetence. Australians were quite angry about that situation, but with U.S. intervention, Australia escaped actual attack, and the issue passed off.

ATL, the Yanks aren't coming, but the Japs are, and the Brits are nowhere in sight. Invasion and conquest of Australia or New Zealand is beyond Japan's current capacity, but Japan can hurt Australia a lot (and New Zealand even more). Or accept their neutrality instead, and repatriate the tens of thousands of Anzac PoWs and civilian internees they have.

Will A&NZ endure Japanese attack indefinitely, out of loyalty to Britain which has left them exposed and helpless? Or make their own deal?

Stalin however was not taken by surprise; he could see that Hitler was nearly done with the western Allies and ready to turn east.
:rolleyes: This is the same Stalin who OTL was desperately trying to stall Hitler with every possible concession while he builds up Soviet forces in case Hitler betrays him....
What's the contradiction here? OTL, Stalin became convinced that Britain was trying to sucker him into war with Germany; and was rigidly committed to this conclusion. ATL, he comes to a different conclusion. He still wants to avoid war with Germany, but he doesn't refuse to believe that Hitler has a different agenda and timetable.

The Battle of the Atlantic remains grim, but Britain hangs on - barely.
Without U.S. shipbuilding? I'm very dubious.
I wrote: barely. OTL, as bad as things got, Britain was never actually close to being starved out. ATL, Britain has a lot of problems, but... the Allies have the French navy for additional escorts, Dakar as a base for ASW in the southern Atlantic, no worries about the Norwegian Sea and Arctic, and no threat in the western Atlantic (Wheeler enforces the Neutrality Zone.) Britain gets close to the edge; but doesn't fall.

Reports of German and Japanese atrocities, Japanese attacks on Australia and New Zealand, and agitation by Communists and their sympathizers (reversed from 1940), shift American opinion strongly toward intervention.

Don't bet on it.:rolleyes: There was a pretty even split at around 70%, in favor of "do something" & "against war"....:confused: (Which proves about 70% of the public didn't understand the question.:rolleyes:)
Have you actually read the Gallup polls from 1941? I have. They consistently showed about 20% opposed to any sort of intervention, 20% with no opinion, 20% favoring U.S. intervention, and 40% favoring U.S. support of the Allies short of war, even at risk of going to war. Continued massive aggression by Japan in the Pacific and Germany in Europe, additional atrocities by both wings of the Axis, and the reversal of position of the Communist-influenced left, would in my opinion, shift those percentages toward intervention. Gallup in those days often ran a parallel poll, surveying only people listed in Who's Who. That poll showed a 55% majority for intervention. Elite opinion is usually a leading indicator.

In 1944, Republicans split on intervention, with the Isolationists narrowly retaining control and nominating Lindbergh.
With his seeming Nazi sympathies?:confused: I really doubt it.:rolleyes:
Lindbergh was in no way a Nazi sympathizer; and he's the most prominent Republican isolationist I could think of.
Regain control of the Atlantic. This requires driving the Axis from NW Africa, with an overland campaign from West Africa.
Really? Why? Or do you presume U-boat ops from Morocco, too? In which case, the chances of the Brits "holding on" have gotten drastically dimmer....:eek:
Axis anti-shipping operations from Morocco, Spain, and the Canaries are enough of a threat to prevent the Allies from building up forces for an invasion of Europe. There's a lot of space between that and a strangle-blockade of Britain.

Invasions of France from Spain
:eek::eek: First, you have to conquer Spain.:eek:
What I wrote:

Invasion of Spain, with secondary campaigns to take Sicily, Sardinia, Corsica, and the Balearics. (1946)
Invasions of France from Spain, England, and Corsica. (1947)

I thought it was fairly obvious that the occupation of Spain takes place in 1946, in the year after the invasion and before the invasion of France.

so the Type XXI should be in service--& that f*cks the Brit SLOCs in a way hard to imagine.:eek::eek::eek:
Some people are in love with German wunderwaffen. They have lurid ideas about what these weapons woulda, coulda, shoulda done if only Hitler hadn't screwed up or there had been additional years to build and deploy them.

I'm not one of them. The Type XXI would have been a problem for the Allies. But... it was not built until 1945. Which means that ATL, it would face lots of VLR patrol aircraft and sonar-equipped escorts, also hunter/killer jeep carrier groups**. It would have an effect, but it wouldn't be "Wrath of God".

** Not as many as were in service OTL, of course. The British would build some for themselves, and the USN would see the use of them, so a fair number would be in US service and ready to go, with more in the pipeline.

I also wonder why it takes the Sovs a full three years longer.
No Lend-Lease until 1945, and not much of anything from Britain.

lavish aid to the Soviets, all via Murmansk
From the same U.S. that's refusing to aid Britain?:confused::confused::rolleyes:
You did notice this is in 1945 and later, when President Wheeler the isolationist is no longer in office, and the U.S. has declared war on the Axis?

:confused::confused: If the U.S. holds the P.I. & has strong naval & air forces there, she can choke Japan's main SLOC, through the Luzon/Formosa Straits, in a matter of months.:rolleyes: Japan's ability to seize the P.I., which you're casually handwaving, in the face of this is in serious question.
The U.S. has improved the defenses of the Philippines substantially. The forces in the Philippines are strong enough to hold out much longer than OTL; they are not strong enough to reach out and "choke Japan's main SLOC". The entire force of Japan attacks as soon as the war starts. The Philippine Air Force has several hundred front-line aircraft. There are about 4,000 Japanese aircraft attacking. The PAF has no replacements or fuel supplies coming in.

As for naval forces - there are subs, torpedo boats, and a modest force of destroyers and cruisers in the Philippines. The lessons of the last four years are clear - land-based aviation can smash any naval force, unless it has equal air cover from land or carriers. The U.S. cannot deploy enough air power to the Philippines to match Japan; there is no point in putting a large naval force there.

The army garrison of the Philippines is about 300,000 men (including Filipino troops). They are well-equipped, and there has been a lot of fortifying. But Japan can throw half its army there. The East Indies, Indochina, Malaya, and the whole South Pacific have already been conquered. Japan will have control of the air and sea within a few weeks or months. Elements of the garrison will hold out for many months, perhaps even a couple of years. But that's all they will be doing after the first few weeks.

Relieve Guam
When did Guam fall?:confused:
It didn't, which is why I wrote "Relieve", not "Recapture". You know the difference? I previously wrote "The Philippines and Guam are under siege..."

Preposterous. Japan was angling for surrender terms in April 1945 OTL.
And the terms they expected included keeping Korea, Manchuria, and Taiwan, no occupation, no reparations, no disarmament, and no punishment for any of Japan's leaders or other war criminals (except by Japan, which meant none).

As late as July 1945 they were still on those terms. The Japanese leaders would not surrender until absolutely compelled.

How did Wheeler stand on decolonization?
Who cares? He's out of office.