AHC: Balkanize France Post-1800

Meerkat92

Banned
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find a way to split France into a set of mutually hostile states. The catch? You need to do it with a PoD no earlier than 1800. I await your input.

Aaaaaaaaaand GO!

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find a way to split France into a set of mutually hostile states. The catch? You need to do it with a PoD no earlier than 1800. I await your input.

Aaaaaaaaaand GO!

Split France into Brittany, Occitania, Catalonia and an independent Alsace. The problem is getting like this. It is difficult.

Seemples.

Have the restoration bring back the provincial system as a way to keep France weak. A second revolution causes central authority to collapse after revolutionaries seize Paris, leading to local parlements and nobles taking over control elsewhere. A civil war starts and the more powerful provinces conquer others.

Meerkat92

Banned
Split France into Brittany, Occitania, Catalonia and an independent Alsace. The problem is getting like this. It is difficult.

Seemples.

I was thinking maybe a Napoleonic War which drags on for much longer (five more years?), leaving the Coalition less inclined to keep France whole lest it "rise again". Sort of a 19th-century Morgenthau Plan. Plausibility check?

They need to hate each other? It is difficult to find groups in history which hated each and every of their neighbors.

I was thinking maybe a Napoleonic War which drags on for much longer (five more years?), leaving the Coalition less inclined to keep France whole lest it "rise again". Sort of a 19th-century Morgenthau Plan. Plausibility check?

Those started 1803. Please read the original post.

Meerkat92

Banned
Those started 1803. Please read the original post.

It's my OP, I know what it says, thank you. :)

What do you mean by "those"? The OP (my OP) says the PoD can be no earlier than 1800. Last time I checked, 1803 came after 1800. So what exactly are you criticizing?

Germany wins WWI and apoligizes to Belgium with adding Norther France

Taking some more for itself , Give Italy some land in the south (To compensate the loss of Venice to A-H) Bribe spain with a bit of southern france...

Make Brittany a separate state, allow to form a Vichy state,...

Why would WWI Germany give anything to Italy (which was on the other side), bother to bribe Spain, or have an interest in an independent Brittany?

Just because it could?

Meerkat92

Banned

Taking some more for itself , Give Italy some land in the south (To compensate the loss of Venice to A-H) Bribe spain with a bit of southern france...

Well, if that was the idea, I'd have just put the thread in Post-1900, not pre-1800. I'm just trying to see if we could think up ways for France to Balkanize during the 19th centurey. I'm beginning to suspect that it's very, very hard...

By this point, Brittany was also largely Francizized, so any independent Brittany, Occitania, etc. are largely impossible.

This is fairly ASB...

Maybe something where the Paris Commune is successful and the revolution spreads, leading to a France split between German occupied north (to protect them from those godless Communards! Don't mind us mining all those coal while we're here...), Communard center, and 'Free French' south.

Meerkat92

Banned
This is fairly ASB...

That's part of the fun! :D

Maybe something where the Paris Commune is successful and the revolution spreads, leading to a France split between German occupied north (to protect them from those godless Communards! Don't mind us mining all those coal while we're here...), Communard center, and 'Free French' south.

Okay, so my post-Napoleonic Morgenthau Plan is definitely out, then? Too bad.

Okay, so my post-Napoleonic Morgenthau Plan is definitely out, then? Too bad.

Pretty much. For one, Germany had only been unified for only three generations by the time of the Morgenthau Plan. By contrast France had unified since at least the 9th century. Beyond that the Coalition powers simply didn't have the ability to dissect France after the Revolutionary Wars the same way the Allies did to Germany after WWII.

Abhakhazia

Banned
Maybe a longer German occupation after the Franco-Prussian War? Alsace & Lorraine annexed to Germany, independencd for the Paris Commune and a kind of puppet state in Northern France. Also, have Piedmont-Sardinia keep Nice and Savoy, and possibly indpendent Corsica?

This is fairly ASB...

Maybe a longer German occupation after the Franco-Prussian War? Alsace & Lorraine annexed to Germany, independencd for the Paris Commune and a kind of puppet state in Northern France. Also, have Piedmont-Sardinia keep Nice and Savoy, and possibly indpendent Corsica?

Heh, great minds and all that.

I'm not sure about Italy keeping or taking back Nice & Savoy though. Nice at least was culturally and linguistically French.

Meerkat92

Banned
I also don't see any 19th-century European state allowing the Paris Commune to survive, barring some sort of extreme luck on the part of the Communards leading to their rule being recognized as a sort of fiat accompli. But I think that might be pushing it.