The Anti-Habsburg TL

Right. Serious work in progress here... I'm trying to get the Habsburg dynasty out of any serious leadership in Europe. So far, there seem to be butterflies for the Papacy, Bohemia, Hungary and the HRE.

(1) The Election of Otakar of Bohemia, King of Germany

Our initial point of divergence deals with Rudolph IV, Count of Habsburg’s (1218-91?) wife – Gertrude of Hohenberg – losing a baby to miscarriage in the early 1250s. This baby would, in OTL, have been Matilde of Habsburg. Not only does this plunge Gertrude into a bought of postnatal depression which thoroughly butterflies her subsequent offspring but furthermore, come 1273, Rudolph is left with no bargaining chips with which to ply Louis II (1229-94), Count Palatine of the Rhine and Duke of Upper Bavaria, or Albert III, Duke of Saxe-Lauenburg.

So, in TTL, when the election for the German throne takes place, not only does Albert fail to proselytise on Rudolph’s behalf, but Louis actually comes out as somewhat reluctantly supporting the claim of Otakar II (1230-96), King of Bohemia. When an assassin is captured by Louis’ men, opponents seize the opportunity to discredit Rudolph by accusing him of funding an attempt on Louis’ life. Although Rudolph denies being behind the attempt, these unsubstantiated accusations prove sufficient to tarnish his reputation and narrowly tip the election in Otakar’s favour.

Otakar is crowned as King of Germany at Aachen in early 1274. Despite this, Rudolph refuses to recognise Otakar’s kingship on the grounds that the claim of Alfonso X (1221-84), King of Castile – which had existed in opposition to that of the ‘anti-King’ Richard of Cornwall – had never been formally renounced. Pope Gregory X, whilst certainly perturbed by accusations of Rudolph’s plotting, is nevertheless reluctant to express formal support for Otakar as Holy Roman Emperor.

(2) Aquinas and the 1274 Council of Lyons

With Otakar’s coronation looming, Pope Gregory X manages to deftly sidestep the internal power struggles of the Holy Roman Empire by refocusing his attentions on the impending Roman Catholic council in Lyons. Pope Gregory’s increased fixation on the issues surrounding the Lyons council means that Thomas Aquinas (1225-74) is summoned to Lyons in advance of the council, in order to answer for his writings, avoiding the illness (or poisoning?) which would otherwise have killed him.

Pope Gregory reprimands him for many of his more controversial opinions but – intrigued by his treatise ‘Contra errores Graecorum’ (Against the Errors of the Greeks) – give him the task of investigating the potential for a settling of the differences in dogma and liturgical practice between the Greek and Latin churches. Having reached broadly optimistic conclusions, an increasingly enfeebled Aquinas encourages Pope Gregory X to use the Council of Lyons as an opportunity to extend an olive branch to the Eastern Church, condemning the excommunications issued by the Holy See in the Schism of 1054, and seeking an ultimate reunion. Gregory takes his advice, and the Council of Lyons paves the way for the eventual loose reunion of the two churches.

As there had been several lengthy vacancies of the Holy See in living memory, a faction of the council attendees convince Pope Gregory X to admit a change to the system of papal elections, whereby the cardinals will not be allowed leave the conclave until they have successfully elected a pope (something that will later be adopted with regards to the Electors of the Holy Roman Emperor). Having grown increasingly weak, Aquinas dies from a fever in the August, a matter of days before the end of the council’s last session.

(3) Bavaria (1273-1340)

With no marriage in TTL between Louis II, Duke of Upper Bavaria and OTL Matilde of Habsburg, Louis’ heir and namesake gets slightly more fatherly attention, becoming better at jousting than in OTL, and thus surviving the 1290 Nuremburg tournament that would have otherwise killed him. Louis II, slowly being consumed by a creeping guilt with regard to the execution of his first wife for infidelity, fills the gap of Matilde with a succession of mistresses, producing several bastard children. From the late 1280s to his death in 1294, he is seen as slowly losing his grip on reality, with council of advisors headed by his son – Louis of Bavaria (b. 1267) – taking over most of his ducal activities.

1291 sees the marriage of the fifteen-year-old Margaret of Brabant (b. 1276) to Louis of Bavaria. She gives birth to two daughters in 1292 (Anna) and 1295 (Sophie), and a son (Frederick) in 1298. Upon his father’s eventual death in 1294, Louis IV inherits the Duchy of Upper Bavaria. His attempts to mend relations with his contemporaries in Lower Bavaria are met with limited success, but moves towards the rationalisation of taxation and trade prove popular amongst the people. He dies of natural causes in 1330, and is suceeded by his son Frederick.

Dukes of Upper Bavaria:

Louis II (1253-94)
Louis IV (1294-1330)
Frederick (1330-)

-----

Henry of Lower Bavaria spent most of his time in quarrels with his brother, with Otakar II of Bohemia and with various ecclesiastics. When he died in February 1290, the land fell to his three sons, Otto III, Louis II, and Stephen I. The butterflied Habsburg children fail to provide a wife for Otto III, Duke of Lower Bavaria. After his death in 1312, rule over the Duchy of Lower Bavaria is consolidated by his nephews – Otto IV and Henry II (OTL Henry III). Otto also dies childless in 1334, passing the whole of Lower Bavaria to his brother, Henry II, who’s death in 1339 passes it to his son, John. John dies the following year, allowing Frederick of Upper Bavaria, by securing Lower Bavaria for himself, to unite the entire Duchy of Bavaria under his rule.

Dukes of Lower Bavaria:

Henry I (1253-90)
Otto III (1290-12)
Louis III (1290-96)
Stephen I (1290-1309)
Otto IV (1309-34)
Henry II (1309-39)
John I (1339-40)

-----

Following the 1340 death of John I, Duke of Lower Bavaria, Bavaria is reunified under Frederick I (b. 1298), who becomes the Duke of Bavaria and Count Palatine of the Rhine. In TTL, Frederick’s attempts at consolidating the duchy allow the reunification to endure his death, cutting short an era of family feuds and petty squabblings that lasted 160 years longer in OTL. This relative absence of internal strife clears the way for Bavaria to regain its role as a regional centre of power within the Holy Roman Empire, ultimately acquiring the electoral dignity.

(4) The Saxony Problems​

Saxony and Anhalt (1260-1307):

With no Habsburg daughter with whom Rudolph can bribe Albert II, Duke of Saxe-Wittenberg (b. circa 1247) into backing his claim on the German throne, the Duke of Saxe-Wittenberg instead marries Elisabeth, a local noblewoman, in 1276. In 1278, Elisabeth gives birth to a daughter (Agatha), but complications in the birth of the second child kill both baby and mother in 1281. As a result of this tragedy, Albert sinks into a period of prolonged depression, dying of a stress-related illness in 1296. He is succeeded by Agatha, who assumes the mantle of the Duchess of Saxe-Wittenberg.

Unfortunately, Agatha proves to be a somewhat naïve and overly trusting ruler, rapidly falling under the influence of the Princes of Anhalt in diplomatic and military affairs. She becomes the second wife of Albert I, Prince of Anhalt, in 1300. Having born him a son and heir (another Albert) in 1302, the marriage quickly sours as Agatha and Albert come to blows over politics. She dies in a hunting ‘accident’ in 1305, whereupon Albert I claims regency of Saxe-Wittenberg, attempting to incorporate it with his Anhalt territories. This sudden increase of territory is seen by Albert’s brothers as something of a threat, leading them to jointly attack his territories in 1307. This is the start of civil war.

The Duchy of Saxe-Lauenburg (1260-):

As per OTL, but the chaos in Anhalt means that it is they who will be seen as the legitimate descendant of the original Saxony, and thus it is they who will obtain Elector Status when the Holy Roman Empire’s electoral process is formalised.

Last edited:
Timeline so far

Timeline so far: (still loads of gaps, with more detail to be added later)

- King Otakar II of Bohemia captures the city of Bratislava from Hungary.

- Otakar of Bohemia is elected King of Germany.

- Thomas Aquinas is summoned before the Pope to answer for his opinions. He was reprimanded, but not condemned. At the request of the Pope, he agrees to investigate the potential for reunion between the Latin and Eastern Churches, presenting his broadly positive findings to the Second Council of Lyons.

- At the Second Council of Lyons, Pope Gregory X decrees that conclaves (meetings during which the electors have no contact with the outside) should be used for papal elections, reforming the electoral process which had taken over three years to elect him.

- Death of Thomas Aquinas (b. 1225).

- Rudolph IV, Count of Habsburg declares war on Otakar of Bohemia.

- Year of the Four Popes - Gregory X, Innocent V, and Pope Adrian V die in rapid succession. Pope John XXI is elected as Adrian’s successor.

- Augsburg and Ravensburg become Imperial Free Cities.

- Having been in talks with Rudolph of Habsburg, King Ladislaus IV of Hungary declares war on Otakar of Bohemia.

- Otakar of Bohemia and the Imperial Army defeat the troops of Rudolph of Habsburg and Ladislaus of Hungary in the Battle of the Marchfield, the largest battle of knights in the middle ages.

- King Ladislaus IV of Hungary dies from his war wounds. Without a suitable successor, Hungary is plunged into anarchy. [What emerges from the chaos?]

- Rudolph IV, Count of Habsburg reluctantly signs a white peace with Otakar of Bohemia.

- Death of Pope John XXI.

- Death of Rudolph IV, Count of Habsburg (b. 1218). He is succeeded by his son, who becomes Albert V (b. 1255).

- Death of Otakar of Bohemia, Holy Roman Emperor. He is suceeded as King of Bohemia by his son, Wenceslaus II (b. 1271). [Wenceslaus needs to have married a non-Habsburg, butterflying his decendents]

- After the death of Agatha, Duchess of Saxe-Wittenberg, the duchy is claimed by her husband, Prince Albert I of Anhalt.

- A dispute over rulership triggers civil war in Anhalt territories.

The Collapse of Hungary

Following the death of King Ladislaus IV of Hungary in 1279, the Kingdom of Hungary is plunged into anarchy, rapidly collapsing into its constituent territories, whilst Bohemia eats up territory in the far West. Potential successor states include:

- Kingdom of Croatia (inc. Bosnia) under the Subic dynasty
- Venetian Republic of Ragusa under a Grand Council
- Kingdom of Slavonia under ???
- Transylvania under the Counts of Szolnok (Doboka) and Alba
- Kingdom of Transdanubia under ???
- Slovak Dominions under [local warlords?]
- Kingdom of Srem under Stefan Dragutin, King of Serbia
- Upper Srem under Ugrin Čak (warlord?) – dies in 1311

Any ideas?

Slovakia had some important mines at that time, I bet Ottokar could be interested in them. The population there is more similar to the Czechs than the Hungarians anyway.

Didn't Ladislaus have a heir? I know the Arpad dynasty died out out shortly after 1300, but was it why I guess it is?
I could also imagine that Hungarian nobles form something like a nobles' republic, with an elected king, like Poland. (Some of the successor states might still do.)

Max Sinister said:
Slovakia had some important mines at that time, I bet Ottokar could be interested in them. The population there is more similar to the Czechs than the Hungarians anyway.

Yes? Good stuff.

Didn't Ladislaus have a heir? I know the Arpad dynasty died out out shortly after 1300, but was it why I guess it is?

Ladislaus had no heir. When he died in 1290 in OTL, he was suceeded by Andrew III, an Arpad from Italy with a highly tenous claim on the throne involving a potentially bastard father. Furthermore, in TTL he would have been roughly 13. So, it seems unlikely that he'd have taken the intiative.

I could also imagine that Hungarian nobles form something like a nobles' republic, with an elected king, like Poland. (Some of the successor states might still do.)

That's a very good idea, actually. I'll bear it in mind. How long do you think it will take for the chaos and power struggles to die down? We'd need a political deadlock of some sort, I suppose.

BTW: the territories of Otakar II would probably be as follows:

przottokar.gif

Last edited:
I thought Silesia was part of the Czech Crownlands, but maybe that happened later...

I wonder what happens to Hapsburg Principality? Without Austria, the Hapsburgs stay on in Hapsburg only, so they'll be far less willing to give it up to the Swiss, or even to allow there to be a Switzerland... Then again, this is the Anti-Hapsburg TL (I need to write the Pro-Hapsburg TL, where Charles V somehow inherits France)

No, the thing with Silesia happened later.

I don't know about Switzerland... are the Swiss at advantage, since Habsburgs are weaker, or are they at disadvantage, because the Habsburgs will care more about their lands and will have less of their "looking down upon the little people" attitude, if I may call it that way?

Max Sinister said:
I don't know about Switzerland... are the Swiss at advantage, since Habsburgs are weaker, or are they at disadvantage, because the Habsburgs will care more about their lands and will have less of their "looking down upon the little people" attitude, if I may call it that way?
Well, I have to agree that I don't know- the Hapsburgs (I really should spell it with a b, put I'm so used to p...) will probably be ruling better since they aren't based in faraway Vienna, but the early Hapsburgs still weren't the nicest of rulers... While a Switzerland may still end up existing, I think that the Aargau would remain in Hapsburg hands.

Max Sinister said:

In OTL, the three cantons to initially 'break away' were those of Uri, Schwyz, and Unterwalden. They had originally been given the privileged status of imperial immediacy under the Hohenstaufen Emperors, meaning that they were ruled directly by the Emperor. The cities of Berne and Zürich had also become reichsfrei when the dynasty of their patrons, the Zähringer, had died out. When Rudolph of Habsburg became German King in OTL 1273, he imposed a strict rule and oversaw a rapid hike in taxes. The anti-Habsburg sentiment was a reaction against this.

In TTL, I can't imagine that Otakar would need to raise taxes to finance wars and further territorial acquisitions. He'll be too busy trying to consolidate what he already has his hands on. Thus, I think that both the development of Switzerland as a political entity, and the inevitable clash between the Swiss and the Habsburgs will be delayed, if only for a while.

As it is Otakar who is Holy Roman Emperor in TTL, the Swiss Confederation as we know it in OTL is stillborn, as the ‘Forest Cantons’ of Uri, Schwyz, and Unterwalden have no direct imperial Habsburg oppression to against which they need to band together. Otakar directly intervenes to prevent the Habsburg acquisition of the Swiss City of Lucerne. There will definitely be no Federal Charter of 1291.

Last edited:
It's still a bit sketchy, but...

The Papacy under Pope John XXI (1276-91)

1276 is known as the Year of the Four Popes, as Gregory X (b. 1210) Innocent V (b. 1225), and Pope Adrian V (b. 1205) die in rapid succession. This rapid succession proves something of a setback to the attempted reconciliation the Roman and Eastern churches. The cardinals at the papal conclave following the death of Adrian elect Pope John XXI (1215-91). With the ideals of a secluded conclave more entrenched than in OTL, Pope John never gets round to reversing the conclave decree passed at the Council of Lyons.

As a result of the butterfly effect, Pope John XXI isn’t terminally injured when the roof of his palace collapses in 1277; instead he survives to 1291, when he dies from old age.

Initiated dialogue between the Roman and Eastern Churches?

Began to employ the great family banking houses of central and northern Italy for the collection of papal dues.

There is no Ninth Crusade in TTL. So, with no Ninth crusade, Charles I of Sicily (b. 1227) is in Sicilian domains when the Sicilian Vespers of OTL break out. He dies in the rioting, with the throne passing to his son, Charles II (b. 1248), who - although rapidly expelled from Sicily itself – maintains his hold over the Kingdom of Naples. Sicily calls on Pope John XXI to take the Communes of their cities under his protection, and he accedes.

[Butterflies = subsequent governance / rulers of Sicily, no excommunication of Peter III of Aragon]

Approached by agents of Otakar of Bohemia, King of Germany, in 1283, Pope John agrees to support his claim on the Holy Roman Empire. In exchange, Otakar reluctantly agrees to relinquish his claims of imperial rights in Rome and the papal territories.

-----

Any other ideas as to what Pope John XXI would have done with a longer papacy?

Last edited:
Bright day :D
Przemyslids are have had dynastic unions with Arpads too... so if they move on Hungary they could say they have "legitimancy"

Nitpick: Mahrenfeld was second conflict between Ottocar II. and Rudolph, first was short siege of Vienna.

Anyway good story! It will be interesting to see how it goes as Wenceslaus II will be still smart and have larger base, plus in 1300 the grosh has started minting...

Gladi said:
Bright day :D
Przemyslids are have had dynastic unions with Arpads too... so if they move on Hungary they could say they have "legitimancy"

Eventually, yes. I think Otakar will wait for the dust to settle, though - he has more on his mind at the moment. He'll probably annex most of Western Hungary in the coming years, whilst a rump central Hungary (with Eastern Hungary becoming an independent Transylvania) setting itself up as an elective monarchy after internal stuggles for political control reach deadlock.

Nitpick: Mahrenfeld was second conflict between Ottocar II. and Rudolph, first was short siege of Vienna.

Yes, but in TTL Otakar has the support of Imperial troops. The Battle of Mahrenfeld detailed here isn't the same as that in OTL. Otakar has already been elected as King of Germany.

Anyway good story! It will be interesting to see how it goes as Wenceslaus II will be still smart and have larger base, plus in 1300 the grosh has started minting...

Indeed. :) Thank you for your input.

Right - here's some more. BTW: what I am finding with this TL is that it really isn't working in a very linear way. I'm kind of spreading out from the POD along lots of chains of causality and small divergences. I'm trying to catch all of the butterflies, and spark a whole bunch of secondary PODs that kind of come out of the first. I'm not sure quite whether this will work, but try to bear in mind that everything is very provisional at the moment, and will probably be revised / have detail added at a later date. Until then, all input is more than welcome.

-----

Right. Between 1282 and 1291 Pope John XXI helps defend Sicily against repeated invasion attempts by Peter III of Aragon. With John's longer lifespan, foreigners can still become Roman senators and the Lateran Palace remains the home of the papacy. Possibly, in the future more ecumenical councils held may be held at the Lateran? - perhaps involving an internal reform of Catholicism?

With Sicily becoming a kind of semi-independent oligarchic republic under the nominal control of the papacy, perhaps this is a place where the pope could flee were things to erupt in Italy. A defensive papal navy?

Pope John XXI’s longer life completely butterflies subsequent Popes, electing a host of new cardinals and generally messing around with Catholic history. What I'm aiming for here is something less indulgant and decadent, but more austere and traditional, yet less afraid of reform.

A Frenchman at the University of Paris (at some point 1273-1345) properly formalises an explanation of the Miasma theory of diseases in TTL. As a result of this, Jews escape being blamed for the Black Death. Diseases caused by a noxious form of “bad air”. Miasma is considered to be a poisonous vapour or mist that is filled with particles from decomposed matter (miasmata) that could cause illnesses and is identifiable by its nasty, foul smell. This means that there are a number of earlier proponents of sanitation. Less blatant anti-semitism in the wake of the Black Death. Jewish diaspora stays...diasporated, rather than all fleeing to the Jew-friendly territories of the Polish lands.

After the death of Pope John XXI in 1291, there is a speedy election of a Roman cardinal. Following two fairly generic uncontroversial Rome-born popes, a Sicilian cardinal [of a noble dynasty?] is elected - Pope Constantine II? He dies in the Black Death [what effects would this have on the papacy? would they be afraid to meet to elect his successor?]

After a brief interregum, the next Pope arrives just in time to help the Catholic Church ride out the aftermath of the Black Death. This sees the start of a series of internal reforms.

-----

Blanche of France (b. 1278) doesn’t marry Rudolph of Habsburg (son of Albert I), as the Habsburgs don’t afford such high regard in TTL. Instead, she marries Edward I of England in 1297. England returns the province of Gascony to France, and a truce is concluded.

[No Thomas of Brotherton - totally divergant Earls of Norfolk
No Edmund of Woodstock - divergant Earls of Kent
Edward, the Black Prince (b. 1330) needs a new wife
No Order of the Garter
Thomas Holland needs a new wife
Hundred Year War butterflies]

Marguerite of France (b. 1282) is, as such, free to marry King Wenceslaus II of Bohemia (b. 1271), and does so in 1298.

-----

The Reign of Otakar of Bohemia, King of Germany (1274-96). Becomes Duke of Krakow in 1291.

Upon his death in 1296, the throne of Bohemia falls to his son, Wenceslaus II (b. 1271). He also inherits the Duchy of Krakow. With no need for a regent in TTL, Wenceslaus’ reign begins on a significantly stronger note. He marries Marguerite of France in 1298, kick-starting a period of loose co-operation between the two kingdoms. Wenceslaus is crowned King of Poland in 1300. In 1306, Władysław the Short lays seige to Krakow in an attempt to retake Poland, but he is killed in an ambush by a batallion of Bohemian knights.

Living longer in this timeline, King Wenceslaus II of Bohemia (1296-1319) and Poland (1300-19) dies in 1319 (at the age of forty-five). He is suceeded by his sixteen year old son, Otakar III (b. 1303). [Who would be his regent?]

-----

A combination of the Miasma theory of disease and the fact that 1340s Sicily is a possession of the papacy in TTL, rather than Aragon, means that it takes until c. 1355 for the Black Death to spread through Europe completely, dying out before it reaches Poland and Muscovy. The lack of ships between Sicily and Aragon mean that the Iberian peninsula, while not escaping totally, manages to avoid the worst of the disease, whilst France, Italy and the HRE fare less well than their OTL counterparts. In TTL, Poland is also affected, rather than avoiding the plague as it had done in OTL.

The butterfly effect means whilst the following survive -

- Leonor of Portugal (b. 1328), the wife of Peter IV of Aragon (b. 1319) [butterflies subsequent monarchs of Aragon]

- Alfonso XI of Castile [might ultimately lead to a power struggle with his son, Peter]

- Thomas Bradwardine, Archbishop of Canterbury (b. 1290) [proto-physicist and one of the ‘Oxford Calculators’? With his additional years he proposes the differences between exponential and arithmetic growth. Have a post-plague theologian-scientist apply this to populations and food, making the leap to Malthusian economics a good 400 years earlier than in OTL]

These people die -

- the incumbent Sicilian Pope [what effects on Catholicism? The Pope is shown to have human weakness? Cardinals afraid to meet in Rome to elect a successor in case of disease?]

- Prince Charles of France (son and heir of John II) [Butterflied French monarchy after 1364]

- Incumbant Hungarian monarch [throws Hungary back into anarchy]

- Random Habsburgs

------

Any thoughts?

A little bit more on the 'Theory of Malign Vapours' -

In 1323, Simon Fournier, a French scholar at the University of Paris, issues the claim that disease is spread by a variety of vapours and mists loosely related to the four ‘humours’ present in the human body: blood, phlegm, black bile, and yellow bile. He claims that bilious and phlegmatic vapours are particularly poisonous, and that clean air, water and woodsmoke can help in combating these vapours.

Now, assuming this idea spreads fairly quickly and gains some credence amongst the general population before the outbreak of the Black Death, how does this affect ideas surrounding hygene and health?

I was aiming for a different scapegoat for the Black Death than the Jews. Without the levels of oppression and outright anti-semitism propogated against them in OTL, I would imagine that the Jewish diaspora would stay spread out over Europe.

Any ideas on further developments in medicine, hygene, worldviews etc.?

I think after a delayed Black Death, pretty much everything will be different. IOTL BD killed one third of Europe's population, one can't expect that people will be born in the same way as OTL. In the future of your TL, there might still be a French king Louis XIV, since it's a popular name for French kings (unless an earlier Louis screws up BIG, that is, like John the Good f.e.), he might be very absolutist (assuming that this development was inevitable), he may even call himself the sun king since the sun is a good symbol for power and glamour, but it won't be our sun king.

Max Sinister said:
I think after a delayed Black Death, pretty much everything will be different. IOTL BD killed one third of Europe's population, one can't expect that people will be born in the same way as OTL. In the future of your TL, there might still be a French king Louis XIV, since it's a popular name for French kings (unless an earlier Louis screws up BIG, that is, like John the Good f.e.), he might be very absolutist (assuming that this development was inevitable), he may even call himself the sun king since the sun is a good symbol for power and glamour, but it won't be our sun king.

It's not delayed per se, it goes on for longer in a less intense and differently spread kind of way. That said, it will give me a good excuse to totally butterfly famous figures after the event... :D

The Timeline (1273-1300)

Here's an updated timeline, from the POD to 1300...

- King Otakar II of Bohemia captures the city of Bratislava from Hungary.

- Otakar of Bohemia is elected King of Germany.

- Thomas Aquinas is summoned before the Pope to answer for his opinions. He was reprimanded, but not condemned. At the request of the Pope, he agrees to investigate the potential for reunion between the Latin and Eastern Churches, presenting his broadly positive findings to the Second Council of Lyons.

- At the Second Council of Lyons, Pope Gregory X decrees that conclaves (meetings during which the electors have no contact with the outside) should be used for papal elections, reforming the electoral process which had taken over three years to elect him.

- Death of Thomas Aquinas (b. 1225).

- Rudolph IV, Count of Habsburg declares war on Otakar of Bohemia.

- Year of the Four Popes - Gregory X, Innocent V, and Pope Adrian V die in rapid succession. Pope John XXI is elected as Adrian’s successor.

- Augsburg and Ravensburg become Imperial Free Cities.

- Having been in talks with Rudolph of Habsburg, King Ladislaus IV of Hungary declares war on Otakar of Bohemia.

- Otakar of Bohemia and the Imperial Army defeat the troops of Rudolph of Habsburg and Ladislaus of Hungary in the Battle of the Marchfield, the largest battle of knights in the middle ages.

- King Ladislaus IV of Hungary dies from his war wounds. Without a suitable successor, Hungary is plunged into anarchy.

- Rudolph IV, Count of Habsburg reluctantly signs a peace treaty with Otakar of Bohemia.

- The rebellion known as the Sicilian Vespers begins against the French rule of the Kingdom of Sicily. Angevin King Charles I of Sicily (b. 1227) is killed in the rioting. He is succeeded by his son, Charles II (b.1248) who, whilst rapidly deposed from Sicily by the Sicilians, maintained control over the Kingdom of Naples. Sicily calls on Pope John XXI to take the Communes of their cities under his protection, and he accedes.

- With Rudolph of Habsburg no longer fostering anti-Otakar sentiment amongst the upper echelons of the Holy Roman Empire, Otakar’s agents approaches Pope John XXI over the potential of him being crowned Holy Roman Emperor. Pope John agrees, on the condition that Otakar abandons all imperial rights in Rome and the papal territories. Otakar is crowned in the autumn.

- The German city of Hamburg is destroyed by fire.

- Archbishop Jakub Świnka orders all priests subject to his bishopry in Poland to deliver sermons in Polish rather than German, thus coordinating the various bodies of the Polish Catholic Church and helping foster a single national identity.

- John I of Brabant defeats the Duchy of Guelders in the Battle of Worringen — one of the largest battles in Europe of the Middle Ages — thus winning possession of the Duchy of Limburg. The battle also liberates the city of Cologne from rule by the Archbishopric of Cologne; it had previously been one of the major ecclesiastical principalities of the Holy Roman Empire.

- Otakar of Bohemia, Holy Roman Emperor formally affords Cologne imperial free city status. The former Archbishops of Cologne remove their residence to Bonn.

- Death of Pope John XXI (1276-91). The conclave of cardinals elect Cardinal Matteo Orsini, a Roman, as his successor. He takes the papacy as Pope Lucius IV (1291-1305).

- Vandino and Ugolino Vivaldi set sail from Genoa with the goal of reaching India; they never return.

- Death of Rudolph IV, Count of Habsburg (b. 1218). He is succeeded by his son, who becomes Albert V (b. 1255).

- The Swiss Confederation of OTL is stillborn, as the ‘Forest Cantons’ of Uri, Schwyz, and Unterwalden have no direct imperial Habsburg oppression to against which they need to band together. King Otakar of Germany directly intervenes to prevent the Habsburg acquisition of the Swiss City of Lucerne.

- Otakar of Bohemia inherits the Duchy of Krakow.

- Upon the death of his father, *Louis IV (1267-1330) of the House of Wittelsbach becomes Duke of Upper Bavaria and Count Palatine of the Rhine.

- The death of Otakar of Bohemia, Holy Roman Emperor (r. 1274-96) triggers an Imperial election. The Premyslid territories are inherited by his son, who becomes Wenceslaus II (b. 1271), King of Bohemia.

- The Elector Princes of the Holy Roman Empire elect *Louis IV (b. 1267, r. 1296-1330), Duke of Upper Bavaria and Count Palatine of the Rhine, as King of the Germans.

- King Edward I of England (r. 1272-1307) marries the eighteen-year-old Blanche of France (b. 1278). As a result of the marriage, England cedes the territory of Gascony to France, and a truce is signed between the two kingdoms.

- Under the leadership of François Grimaldi, the Guelphs capture the rock of Monaco.

- Silver deposits discovered at Kutná Hora in Bohemia.

- King Wenceslas II of Bohemia (b. 1271) marries Marguerite of France (b. 1282).

- While in prison in Genoa, Marco Polo begins to dictate his explorations to a local writer.

- The house of Holland becomes extinct. The County of Holland becomes a part of a personal union with the County of Hainaut.

- Backed by Polish nobles, King Wenceslas II of Bohemia takes the throne of Poland.

- Florence is established as the banking state of Europe, and its coin, the florin, becomes the dominant European currency.

Some Religious Thoughts

Pope John XXI (1276-91)

Pedro Julio, a Portuguese.

ATL from the end of 1277, when he escapes critical injury when part of the roof of the papal palace collapses.

Assumes premiership of Sicily in the aftermath of the Sicilian Vespers in 1282. The stability of John’s longer papacy allows Rome to quieten down somewhat. With far less volatility in North Italy than in OTL, papal power is far more easily consolidated, and the papacy avoids falling into the French sphere of influence.

Pope Lucius IV (1291-1305)

Cardinal Matteo Orsini, a Roman.

The election of a Roman to the papacy in 1291 significantly boosted the Church’s popularity in the Papal States. A strict enforcement of the tithes imposed by the Council of Lyons dents this popularity somewhat, but helps the papacy’s ailing financial reserves.

Confirms the independence of San Marino via papal bull in 1292.

When Philip IV of France starts to tax the French clergy, he causes an uproar within the Roman Catholic Church and the papacy. The papacy’s attempts at reaching a compromise rapdily break down, with a power struggle between Philip IV and Lucius emerging.

Finally, in 1301, Lucius excommunicates King Philip IV, ordering an interdict against the Kingdom of France. This interdict leads to a closure of all churches, and the suspension of the sacraments of marriage, confession, the anointing of the sick, and the Eucharist. Philip retaliates by initiating the seizure of church property, including that of the French Knights Templar, who - fearing imminent French oppression - flee to the papal state, where they are welcomed by Lucius.

Presumably, there is some form of Catholic resistance in France between this time and Lucius' death in 1305. Any ideas?

An attempt on Lucius’ life in 1303 is foiled by the Knights. They capture and interrogate the perpetrator, who turns out to be an agent of France.

Upon the death of Pope Lucius IV in 1305, a conclave of cardinals is automatically convened, as the electoral regulations imposed by Gregory X at the Council of Lyons haven't been reversed - in TTL, the thought of a prolonged papal interregum is nigh heretical. The 1305 papal conclave in Rome is spurned by the majority of French carindals. Those who do attend elect Cardinal Landolfo Brancaccio, a Neapolitan, as Lucius’ successor. He takes the papacy as Pope Anastasius V (1305-12).

Meanwhile, in 1306, a rival conclave of cardinals is convened by King Philip IV of France in Paris [???]. They oversee the election of Bertrand de Goth, archbishop of Bordeaux, who claims the papacy as Clement V (1306-14).

Pope Anastasius V naturally denounces his rival as an antipope. Clement V does likewise as, despite having far less religious support, he has the full weight of the Kingdom of France behind him.

----- INTERVAL -----

Backtracking to 1282 and the events of the Sicilian Vespers for a moment, here... In TTL, Pope John XXI took control of Sicily itself, rather than allowing it to fall to the Avignons, who in TTL only control Naples.

In the Battle of the Ant Islands in 1285, King James II of Majorca - aided by additional troops from France and the Sicilian domains of Pope John XXI - routs the forces of his brother, Peter, who seems intent on annexation.

Without the OTL interregum in James II's reign over Majorca, he doesn't see the need to initiate reforms of urbanism, agricultural policy, defense, or the economy, getting into debt far more speedily than in OTL.

----- END INTERVAL -----

Thus it is that, in 1308, King James II of Majorca is more than happy to sell rights to the city of Monpellier to King Philip IV of France, who gets a far better deal than he did in the purchase of Avignon from Provence in OTL. Montpellier becomes the home of the so-called 'French' Popes.

Any thoughts on potential divergences?

Currently I have vague ideas about the survival of the Knights Templar, whilst the death of a Pope in the *Black Death and the subsequent interregum could lead to a major shake-up with regard to the traditionally heirarchical nature of the Catholic Church.

Just a small idea. What do you guys think about the following:

Say the Roman Pope dies in the *Black Death, and during a long interregum caused by the lack of papal conclave, a series of internal reforms slowly start to affect the Roman Catholic Church. The position of pope is left unfilled, and the Church begins to take a slightly more 'collegiate' and less heirarchical nature, whilst avoiding the extremes of the OTL reformation.

Meanwhile, Philip IV of France has essentially pulled a varient Henry VIII, breaking with the Roman Church by decrying it as illegitimate. The institution of the French anti-pope survives the *Black Death intact, and French Catholicism begins to diverge from it's Roman parent. It becomes more heirarchical, more authoritarian, and more entwined with the French monarchy.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Conciliarism, i.e. the idea that the concil stands above the pope? That's an idea. No pope at all might be a too radical change - the Bible isn't translated yet, people didn't have the idea that there should be no pope since he's not in the bible. And about Philipp, I'd rather guess he'd try to get the council under his control, like the French kings who brought the popes to Avignon.