WI: Marc Antony's Parthian War was Successful

Just what the title says. I admit I can't find much info about the invasion and why if failed but lets say Antony was successful. I'd guess that territory would be annexed, similar to what Emperor Trajan took when he beat Parthia and the Roman Eagles would be restored.What would this mean for the Roman political situation between Antony and Octavian? Would this victory allow the balance of power to swing back in Antony's favor? Perhaps Octavian has to give in in some ways to Antony? Or would this hasten the war between the two? I don't know if this helps but before the invasion Antony married Cleopatra at Antioch, so would a victory mean that this marriage could be legitimized in Rome?

Interesting POD. Antony lose that campaign mostly because the same reason he lost ad Actium, betrayal first from Octavian, who do not send him the men he must give to Antony who lose time waiting that men, and then from the King of Armenia, who betray Antony handing over to the Parthians baggage and rearguard of the army, while Mark Antony was ahead with the vanguard and the main army and the general, with winter coming and devoid of indispensable siege equipment, was forced to retreat in desperate conditions and losing many men.
If Octavian stay faithful to his word and send his men as he promised, is likely who Antony's Parthian campaign can be successful and he can at least recovering the Eagles of Crassus (if not new territories for Rome) and restoring thus the Roman honor.
Obviously if Antony can recovering the lost Eagles and returning them to Rome is unlikely who Octavian can ever get rid of the victorious hero Antony (who after avenged Caesar at Philippi now ending his work avenged also Crassus and recovering the lost Eagles restoring the honor of Rome) and being Antony already the most popular of the two now Octavian will need to make really much attention to his next moves (and this includes not fussing over his poor betrayed sister or Antony's relationship with Cleopatra or the Caesarion question) or he will ended causing his own downfall.
(And considering that likely Octavian was already thinking of getting rid of Anthony while convinced him to marry Octavia (and perhaps marriage itself was part of the plan because Antony need Cleopatra or better the Egyptian's gold for his Pathian campaign) is really strange who he never sent that men don't think?)

Interesting POD. Antony lose that campaign mostly because the same reason he lost ad Actium, betrayal first from Octavian, who do not send him the men he must give to Antony who lose time waiting that men, and then from the King of Armenia, who betray Antony handing over to the Parthians baggage and rearguard of the army, while Mark Antony was ahead with the vanguard and the main army and the general, with winter coming and devoid of indispensable siege equipment, was forced to retreat in desperate conditions and losing many men.
If Octavian stay faithful to his word and send his men as he promised, is likely who Antony's Parthian campaign can be successful and he can at least recovering the Eagles of Crassus (if not new territories for Rome) and restoring thus the Roman honor.
Obviously if Antony can recovering the lost Eagles and returning them to Rome is unlikely who Octavian can ever get rid of the victorious hero Antony (who after avenged Caesar at Philippi now ending his work avenged also Crassus and recovering the lost Eagles restoring the honor of Rome) and being Antony already the most popular of the two now Octavian will need to make really much attention to his next moves (and this includes not fussing over his poor betrayed sister or Antony's relationship with Cleopatra or the Caesarion question) or he will ended causing his own downfall.
(And considering that likely Octavian was already thinking of getting rid of Anthony while convinced him to marry Octavia (and perhaps marriage itself was part of the plan because Antony need Cleopatra or better the Egyptian's gold for his Pathian campaign) is really strange who he never sent that men don't think?)

Because I can't imagine Octavian would sent troops to his rival, lets say that either King Artavasdesof Armenia stays loyal or Roman troops are put in charge or the baggage train. That should give Antony a fighting chance. Lets say Antony wins in Parthia, that should restore the popularity he lost with the rumors spread by Octavian and own relationship with Cleopatra. Octavian can't move against Antony, at least not without risking a riot in Rome itself. This might even force him to release the troops that he promised Antony or at least some of them to save face. I wonder though, who would rule the territories that Antony know doubt won from Parthia, Rome or Cleopatra. After all two years after his defeat in OTL, he made his son by Cleo, Alexander Helios, King of Parthia, Media and Armenia so with the actual territory under his control......:D

Because I can't imagine Octavian would sent troops to his rival, lets say that either King Artavasdesof Armenia stays loyal or Roman troops are put in charge or the baggage train. That should give Antony a fighting chance. Lets say Antony wins in Parthia, that should restore the popularity he lost with the rumors spread by Octavian and own relationship with Cleopatra. Octavian can't move against Antony, at least not without risking a riot in Rome itself. This might even force him to release the troops that he promised Antony or at least some of them to save face. I wonder though, who would rule the territories that Antony know doubt won from Parthia, Rome or Cleopatra. After all two years after his defeat in OTL, he made his son by Cleo, Alexander Helios, King of Parthia, Media and Armenia so with the actual territory under his control......:D

The great problem of Antony's Parthian Campaign is who he start it too late because he was waiting the men who Octavian was bound to give him for they last treaty. Maybe instead pof waiting Antony take that troops with him before departing Rome or left one of his generals to take the troops? Because only a fool will not decide to wait that troops before starting the Parthian campaign and after all Antony departed from Rome with Octavia (he will send her back only after arriving at Athene) and still in good terms with Octavian.

The great problem of Antony's Parthian Campaign is who he start it too late because he was waiting the men who Octavian was bound to give him for they last treaty. Maybe instead pof waiting Antony take that troops with him before departing Rome or left one of his generals to take the troops? Because only a fool will not decide to wait that troops before starting the Parthian campaign and after all Antony departed from Rome with Octavia (he will send her back only after arriving at Athene) and still in good terms with Octavian.

I don't think Antony was ever on good terms with Octavian. Octavian always saw him as a rival that had to be eliminated. But yes It would have made more sense to stay in Rome and force Octavian to either hand over the troops or openly say no. I never liked Octavian, and always thought he was a poor imitation of Caesar who was way to obsessed with the old Rome to realize how much had changed but he never allowed himself to be openly caught plotting. I'll give him that at least.

I don't think Antony was ever on good terms with Octavian. Octavian always saw him as a rival that had to be eliminated. But yes It would have made more sense to stay in Rome and force Octavian to either hand over the troops or openly say no. I never liked Octavian, and always thought he was a poor imitation of Caesar who was way to obsessed with the old Rome to realize how much had changed but he never allowed himself to be openly caught plotting. I'll give him that at least.

Yes, but I was not talk about Octavian but about Antony who, I think, do not saw always Octavian as rival and I think who the two after the wedding of Antony and Octavia was in good terms, mostly because Octavian plots was secrets and Antony sometimes trusted too much the apparency (Antony's other women, Fulvia and Cleopatra, never trust Octavian but Antony trust him) and was betrayed for that...
And Antony can not stay in Rome too much waiting the troops because he was needed in Orient for making the other preparatives for the campaign but asking Octavian to give him the troops before departing or left behind one of his men in Rome for waiting the troops and eventually forced Octavian to give the troops or make know his refusal to the Senate and all Rome is a good solution for the problem.

If Anthony is succesful in his parthian campaign and keeps control of Mesopotamia (which Trajan did not manage to keep) then he quickly becomes much richer than Octavian.

Si you then can imagine many things. Anthony returns to Rome to celebrate an incredibly magnificent triumph for vis eastern campaign. Octavian is comprimée to be more cooperative. Anthony does not divorce from Octavia.

If Anthony is succesful in his parthian campaign and keeps control of Mesopotamia (which Trajan did not manage to keep) then he quickly becomes much richer than Octavian.

Si you then can imagine many things. Anthony returns to Rome to celebrate an incredibly magnificent triumph for vis eastern campaign. Octavian is comprimée to be more cooperative. Anthony does not divorce from Octavia.

So the duumvirate would continue, but for how long? Would the Donations of Alexandria still occur? I mean most of the territories "donated" to Cleopatra had already been given to her at an earlier date. So with a Eastern Victory would Cleo get the old Seleucid Empire and would Antony recognize Caesarion as Caesar's legitimate son?

I remember reading somewhere that Marcus Antonius failed in Parthia because for some reason he didn't move his siege train up in time. If you correct this - a different route perhaps, a little more foresight maybe - then things might be different.

I remember reading somewhere that Marcus Antonius failed in Parthia because for some reason he didn't move his siege train up in time. If you correct this - a different route perhaps, a little more foresight maybe - then things might be different.

Yes, the main problem of Marcus Antonius was that and this happen because Antonius started the campaign late waiting the soldier who Octavian must send to him for the campaign and never sent

At this point did Marc Antony intend to place Monaeses or Tiridates on the throne as a Roman client, or his own son, or...?

At this point did Marc Antony intend to place Monaeses or Tiridates on the throne as a Roman client, or his own son, or...?

I think his son. In the Donations of Alexandria Alexander Helios was made King of Parthia, Media and Armenia so if he did this when He only controlled Armenia in OTL I think he would still do that in a Roman Victory scenario. Plus Cleo would insist on it and that is one woman U don't want as an enemy:D.

Depending on the extend of his victory,Marcus Antonius could do a lot more than that mentioned above:
He could render Persia a vassal status and march in Rome with 20-30000 Persian catafracts and light horse archers and turn his legions and the Parthian cavalry straight against Rome(pretence of a Triumph).
That would be the end of Octavian,once and for all.
He would claim Ceasar's dictator status from the senate,he would demand the legitimate recognition of Ceasarion as the son of Ceasar(no more than that because Rome was still a republic) and of course 'Pater familias'to be of the Julii Family with all that would entail...

Depending on the extend of his victory,Marcus Antonius could do a lot more than that mentioned above:
He could render Persia a vassal status and march in Rome with 20-30000 Persian catafracts and light horse archers and turn his legions and the Parthian cavalry straight against Rome(pretence of a Triumph).
That would be the end of Octavian,once and for all.
He would claim Ceasar's dictator status from the senate,he would demand the legitimate recognition of Ceasarion as the son of Ceasar(no more than that because Rome was still a republic) and of course 'Pater familias'to be of the Julii Family with all that would entail...

Yes Antony could do this but the question is would he? In OTL Antony was very reluctant to push the issue of control/power with Octavian. in fact it up to the Donations of Alexandria, Antony didn't challenge the status quo. However, perhaps a victory over Parthia would embolden him or leave him open to suggestion from Cleo that he should lead the Roman Empire or at least have a larger say in its governing.