Anglo-French War in the Early 20th Century

Most ATL that are in that time have Britain and France as allies which is frustrating.

Does anyone know how an Anglo-French War in this era would play out? Considering that they are the largest colonial powers, the war would be less Europe focused and would play out in Africa, South America, Asia, and the Pacific, (i.e. an actual global war).

How would each front be fought? What would the winner demand?

EDIT: Damn, wrong forum. Help mods.

You might be right by posting this in the Before 1900 sub-forum however, as that's when you'd have to push your POD. A solid point to look at is the War of the Spanish Succession.

Perhaps have the French win the Franco-Prussian war, preventing Germany from absorbing the southern German states, and those states falling in French or Austrian influence? Maybe then Austria and France could make some alliance against Prussia, and Prussia would then ally with Britain against them.

Regardless of what causes it, Britain will win, and France will lose substantial parts of its colonial empire to the British. There is simply no way the French can win at this time.

To put it in perspective, it would be a bit like if the United States and China went to war today. The French would do some damage, but would ultimately be rolled over.

Regardless of what causes it, Britain will win, and France will lose substantial parts of its colonial empire to the British. There is simply no way the French can win at this time.

To put it in perspective, it would be a bit like if the United States and China went to war today. The French would do some damage, but would ultimately be rolled over.

France representing China, I assume, since the international response over a war between the U.S. and China where China is the belligerent would be severe.

France representing China, I assume, since the international response over a war between the U.S. and China where China is the belligerent would be severe.

China because it is the second-most powerful country in the world, with the second-largest empire (an economic empire, instead of a colonial one, though), but still can't hope to beat the top imperial power of the world.

Most ATL that are in that time have Britain and France as allies which is frustrating.

Does anyone know how an Anglo-French War in this era would play out? Considering that they are the largest colonial powers, the war would be less Europe focused and would play out in Africa, South America, Asia, and the Pacific, (i.e. an actual global war).

How would each front be fought? What would the winner demand?

EDIT: Damn, wrong forum. Help mods.

Nor the UK nor France had any interest to go to war against each other. The two had plenty of colonies, the two had a natural common ennemy (Germany, due to it being close to an hegemonic situation in Europe which is bad for the UK and due to 1870 for France). You need a PoD before 1871 to make it, like a French victory in the Franco-Prussian war so Germany isn't united, France isn't focused on getting A-L back and so France is still considered the top dog on the continent.

The French and the British nearly went to war in 1898 over a tiny village in eastern Africa. I'm sure there must be a TL around here about a war breaking out from that.

War actually never crossed the mind of the decision makers in France. They knew they needed the UK as an ally due to the occupation of A-L by Germany and the inevitable showdown that it would lead to. Hell, i'm pretty sure that France would have given colonies to the UK just to preserve the chances of an alliance.