Alternate post colonial states?

Just a thought what could the colonial empires have created in Africa apart from the OTL states.

Could their have been some kind of Tuareg Federation or could some of OTL states have changed slightly.

Behests could have been split into three but the others?

I am especially intrested in Frances colonial holdings for some reason :D

BlondieBC

Banned
Part of Algeria were much more French than other parts. We could see the 1/3 of the coast that is more French plus the Sahara split from the more Muslim 2/3 of coast. You could also have nations based on the French administrative lines. FEA, FWA, etc.

Part of Algeria were much more French than other parts. We could see the 1/3 of the coast that is more French plus the Sahara split from the more Muslim 2/3 of coast. You could also have nations based on the French administrative lines. FEA, FWA, etc.

the last minute hope of De Gaulle was for the Sahara, but yes, I can see Algeria as part of France, in whole or part, and an Algeria with long term French bases and dual nationality for the Pieds-Noirs would lead to a very different country, even if the borders would be the same

I could see Rhodesia being brought into South Africa, or split into a black and a white country, any ways if Zimbabwe Rhodesia lives that'd be a better thing for that poor nation that what happen

BlondieBC

Banned
the last minute hope of De Gaulle was for the Sahara, but yes, I can see Algeria as part of France, in whole or part, and an Algeria with long term French bases and dual nationality for the Pieds-Noirs would lead to a very different country, even if the borders would be the same

I could see Rhodesia being brought into South Africa, or split into a black and a white country, any ways if Zimbabwe Rhodesia lives that'd be a better thing for that poor nation that what happen

If we go to South Africa, it wanted Botswana badly too. Maybe slice of Mozambique?

I suppose if the Fascists hadn't united Tripolitania and Cyrenaica into a single colony, and had things more or less proceeded the same, you would've had two separate states emerging out of what we know as Libya. Tripolitania was a full fledged colony and for a brief moment after World War I, was an independent state and claimed to be the first republican government in the Arab World, while Cyrenaica was de jure an Italian protectorate headed by the Senussi.

BlondieBC

Banned
South Sudan was attached to Sudan in WW1, easy to fix.

North (Muslim) Nigeria was attached to South Nigeria to hide budget losses, easy to fix.

Rwanda and Burundi are easy to butterfly away.

Uganda and Kenya could be the same country.

Island state of Zanzibar.

Angola was almost split in half, same for Mozambique.

In fact, the Europeans organize states in such a ad hoc manner, you can pretty much take a crayon and draw borders that could have been. The Europeans often ignored the wished of the people, tribal boundaries, and sometimes logical geographic borders.

Maputo would have made things interesting, if attached to South Africa before WW2 or WW1. It could also butterfly a lot of things later on

1. What would be the constitutional arranged with the Union?
2. Franchise for the voters, such as they would be
3. The relationship with Rhodesia. I imagine that Beira would go with the Rump Mozambique to Tanzania, keeping Rhodesia linked to the sea, but with Maputo/Lourenço Marques being South African, maybe Rhodesia could be even more dependent on South Africa ? I guess it would depend on when or how the purchase happened. Maybe a Union owned LM would make it more likely Rhodesians would vote to join the Union, if that happened ATL